DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[sKY] I need help placing a book

Dogrules23

I am making a quest mod and creating lore for the dungeon but I can't place it anywhere and have it available to take. I have in in Belethor's shop right now but when I read it it says that I can steal it. I don't want to have the player steal it. I want it to be able to be taken without stealing but I can't get it to work. Thanks in advance!

Placing an object in a cell owned by an NPC gives ownership of all objects in that cell to that NPC, hence the "steal" trigger. The player will still be able to 'read' it and you can start your quest on that trigger, the player just cannot take it. Couple of other things you can do..

1. Place it in a public space.

2. Open the books reference box and set ownership to player.

Now that I have that book placed, I need to add in a quest objective that sends the player to get the book. Before, the player would talk to the NPC then be directed to the dungeon. I made sure the index number for the new objective was between the start up and the first objective but I'm not sure how to make it so that you talk to the NPC then are directed to the book.

This all depends on how you've set up your Quest Stages. Typical set up is naming stages in increments of 10 (0, 10, 20, 30..) so that you can easily go back and add intermediate stages between the major objectives.

So, basically..

0 - start up

10 - talk to NPC

20 - go to dungeon

Would now turn into..

0 - start up

10 - talk to NPC

15 - go read book

20 - go to dungeon

If you haven't set your quest stages intitially with room to grow, you might just have to start over again.

I fixed that but now I need something to recognize when the book is picked up. I did find this:

ScriptName SetStageOnPlayerPickUp Extends ObjectReference

Actor Property PlayerREF Auto
Quest property QuestToSet Auto
Int Property iStageToSet Auto

Event OnContainerChanged(ObjectReference akNewContainer, ObjectReference akOldContainer)
	If akNewContainer == PlayerREF
		QuestToSet.SetStage(iStageToSet)
		GoToState("Taken")
	EndIf
EndEvent

State Taken
	; Do nothing
EndState

I'm not sure where it goes though.

Edited by Dogrules23