DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Nif Exporter and Verts

SpikeDragonLord

FOR BLENDER: Digging around I found this quote from a veteran, amorilla:

Not sure if this answers your question completely, but I can explain at least part of what is happening: the blender vertex count is not necessarily the nif vertex count, because each vertex index in nif also points to the normal, uv, and vertex color. For instance, at uv seams, the nif will have two vertices for each blender vertex. These two vertices have the same xyz coordinates, but different uv coordinates. This is not a bug, but simply a limitation of the nif format. As a consequence, different uv maps can lead to different nif vertex counts for the same geometric model.

In fact, import any nif file, you'll see that the blender vertex count is usually less than the nif vertex count. Similarly, export a blend, and the nif count will be higher than the blender count. They will only coincide if you have a fully smooth model without uv seams - this will rarely be the case unless the mesh has a very simple geometry.

Thread's at the NifTools Forum here.

Could you give a bit more information about what you're doing (i.e. did you import the initial model or make it from scratch)? Also, if it is Blender you're using, is it 2.49?

When importing a model into Blender 2.49, if the model has any verts in the exact same location, these will get merged together. I get around this issue by using Blender 2.7 with the newer import scripts, to import the model, then save it as a .blend in legacy format so that I can open it in 2.49. I don't think there's an issue with exporting, at least from my experience, although it can't hurt to check your export settings if you're still having issues.

If you're using Max or Maya, then I assume that the same issue is at play there.

Tri files are a collection of .obj's, not nifs, and obj export does not have this vertex count issue that .nifs do. There is a Tri Editor tool you could try, comes with instructions.

It's my understanding that the nif exporter for Blender 2.49 converts to triangles as it exports, so if you have quads you should be fine with vert count, but if you have triangles, it tends to duplicate them. So a few suggestions; 1. remove doubles first, 2. convert tris to quads, 3. export. I'm not sure I understand what your concern with vert count is though.