DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] A question about vanilla scripts

TigerCubofPNW

It's my understanding that we never, ever, ever EVER change the base game. Like, we make a mod that changes a character's appearance, we don't change the character's appearance in Skyrim.Esm. (Don't think we even can. Bad example, sorry).

With that in mind, I'm seeking the community's counsel on how truly bad it is to add to vanilla scripts. Not change the code in them, but add your own code to them. To my thinking, this is very very naughty. And can lead to one of Skyrim's little fits. Yet I just explored a mod (Moonlight Tales) that did that very thing. Since it's my general feeling every modder out there is wiser than me, this gave me pause.

Is changing a vanilla script NOT the end of the world?

No, it's not the end of the world but it's not recommended. Problems occur when someone uses several mods that modify the same script; that would screw their games for sure. But you can do that in mods that you don't want to release, for your own purposes.

Anyway, it's a lot more gratifying to make our own quests using our own scripts. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you purposely add to a script, in theory it won't hurt anything. 

Any modder and player would appreciate that you notate your changes in the descriptions so people are aware of possible conflicts.

This will help avoid confusion if someone edits your mod with permission, and gets blamed for scripts they didn't write.

It is strongly recommended not to because troubleshooting is a pain *in all parts of the body* for the modder.

If people don't trust you because of a mistake and you can not defend your modding style or prove *not at fault*, then it hurts your efforts.

The standard answer is don't do it.

It is not taboo, however.  If you write good scripts and erase the functions from memory when the script action is completed, adding on to

a script won't hurt.