DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

An Awkward Introduction!

Devestational

Aha, salutations fellow TES-Alliance users!

Exactly as the title says, this will be awkward - more so on my part, and you may even have a silent chuckle at my torment! (Even I laugh at myself, so don't feel like it would offend me.)

First, let me introduce myself in the proper manner - My username is Devestational, and yes the spelling of that is intentional, though my real name is Scarlet. Don't expect me to reveal my full name because I'm currently trying to minimalize my stalker-faction count and I really don't need any more people adding to that number - See, that was a haha moment.

I am a creative and universal writer as a profession and I'm currently in the process in aquiring a decent publisher, which so far is going good.

You might be wondering what a universal writer is - basically I'm not restricted to a single genre, or style, and in fact adapt to pretty much anything I feel like or is asked of me.

I'm also adept at multi-project-handling which basically means I can be writing a story about a thrilling romance in one document, while creating something more terrifying and horror-themed in another, and I am able to do this without mixing them up or getting confused! Meaning the readers would never know I had been switching between projects the entire time.

Now, I have been a gamer since the original Play Station, and even before then I dabbled with Nintendo games, but moved to Xbox because it suited me more. I only recently got into PC gaming, and for a long time before that I always assumed that using the keyboard and mouse would be confusing and difficult... Oh how wrong I was.

I now prefer PC gaming, even though I mostly play the same game all the time - Skyrim - and yes, of course I have added mods to enhance the game! Though I'll confess that when I first started I was a complete fool and ended up breaking my game, and computer, several times due to mod-orders, dirty edits, and overall corruption!

After all of that, I studied Youtube videos on how to properly mod your game with minimal risks and the precautions you use to help prevent instability. Thank goodness there are amazing individuals who understand that there are some morons trying to mod games - yes, myself included. :)

I have abolutely NO experience creating my own mods, and despite watching a number of basic tutorials on how to make even the most simplest mods, I am still clueless... I guess my only strong point in this area are my writing skills and vivid imagination - which is a shame because I have actually written up a few projects devoted to certain mods that I would have LOVED to implement into the game.

Alas, I am doomed to spend eternity in the gutteral abyss of self-infuriation - don't pity me though! No seriously, don't. <3

Annnnd if you've managed to read this far then you would have noticed this is pretty much all over the place, and indeed awkward. But it's amazing you actually survived that onslaught! As befitting a legendary hero of your might and skill, I summon the powers granted to me to reward you with the mythical cookie of legend! Take it, galant hero, and know you stand with the mighty Gods of cookie-creation, and shall now bask in their glory!

Oops, I seem to have munched the cookie while reading over that section of complete randomness which actually made me chuckle - I'll instruct the mighty Gods to bake you another. <3

• Upvote 3

You know, I had been curious about that section of the forums, especially with the prospect of learning (and actually understanding it) is something I do enjoy.

So far I could probably make a basic follower, using only assets from the vanilla game though, and even then I doubt it would be much good. XD But thank you for linking those for me, I am definitely going to 'study' them with full focus!

<3

Really? The tutorials on Youtube I had watched were for basic things - such as vanilla rescources used to create said follower, so they'll basically be minimal and not very unique.

I've seen some follower mods that are amazing - adding custom dialogue and/or voice, applying unique armour to them, enhancing their AI, etc.

Thus my limited knowledge on the subject and the fact I - so far - can only manage to create a 'vanilla follower' greatly pales in comparison to the more 'popular' follower mods.

That being said, I have spent the majority of this day examining the tutorials on this site while typing notes on different features within my notepad - and I am extremely surprised that the guides on this site are so simple compared to others! The details of sections and the information linked to different attributes are quite easy to understand, and to my surprise aren't full of 'technical terms' and are in fact explained in a manner pretty much everyone could understand.

With this in mind I have found a new-found eagerness and determination to expand my non-existant experience of modding by starting out with very simple things that will just be experiments - and hopefully, fingers crossed, one day I may even be able to give one of my mod ideas a chance at life.

Thank you! - To be honest I've known about this site for a while, or at least seen it mentioned a few times, but assumed it was just a close-knit group who rarely welcomed new people, and I am oh-so happy to have been proven wrong!

P.S - You may have noticed I ramble a lot, and I apologise if I become annoying or somehow offend anyone... I'm not very skilled when it comes to the forms of socializing, be it face to face or not, and thus I become incredibly nervous in a very short space of time...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Devestational said:

With this in mind I have found a new-found eagerness and determination to expand my non-existent experience of modding by starting out with very simple things that will just be experiments - and hopefully, fingers crossed, one day I may even be able to give one of my mod ideas a chance at life.

Way to go! :good:

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Welcome to TESA, Devestational! :)

Like ladyonthemoon said, we all started off with no experience. If you're interested in modding, which it sounds like you are, then you'll pick it up. It's not as difficult as it seems. And there's always someone around who can help you if you get stuck on something. Have fun with it. Before long you'll be creating those followers that you're dreaming of. :)

Hello and welcome Devestaional. I began with Oblivion and must confess, the creation kit scared the daylights out of me. I was sure I`d mess something up for sure. The folks here helped me and I gained enough confidence to become truly dangerous. I proceeded to follow a tutorial on placing a player friendly chest in the inn at Weye and accidently shifted the entire 2nd floor .. just a bit. I didn`t notice and saved .... :doh:   It`s still like that 5-6 years later. :lmao:  Remember... ctrl+z is your best friend.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to TES ALLIANCE. I remember when I first joined in 2013, as of yet been away from the site for so long (just got into playing Skyrim) 9500 hours, As far as I can tell they are all pretty cool here, and I have just made my first Riekling follower, companion, and husband lol. Anyway welcome.

Edited by skynet424
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...