DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

I eventually switched to Linux! (ex: [Abandoned] Switching to Linux)

Hope is back! I managed to launch the live cd (in nomodeset, for those who know) and reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04.1. This time I didn't allow the updates to be installed during installation  and I selected "security updates only" afterwards. Now Ubuntu starts normally; my cards seem to be supported and I'm installing Unity (the game engine).

Problem is: I cannot select where I want Unity to be installed... (sigh)

Next step: try Unity.

Anyway, hope is back! :toast:

Update: Unity starts; I've even managed to import an existing project that was begun under W7 and everything went fine. It lags though... I'll see tomorrow if things behave better.

Edited by ladyonthemoon

On 11/09/2016 at 5:18 PM, ladyonthemoon said:

I'm losing my sanity over this. I installed some updates and now I'm asked for my password on login; I enter it one time, ten times, a hundred times and it's refused. I tried to load the live session from the disc: doesn't work.

Is anyone here using FreeBSD?

I'm using FreeBSD, though I consider it more of a server system than a desktop one: which isn't to say it isn't a perfectly capable desktop system, but Linux has the edge with software availability which may or may not be ported to FreeBSD, especially where things like proprietary stuff is concerned.  So I run both, FreeBSD (not sure of the exact version offhand, some fairly recent revision of -CURRENT because "ooh the new shiny things" tends to trump being sensible in my case) and Linux Mint on my desktop: although Cinnamon isn't the most comprehensive desktop it is nice and easy to configure and mostly does what I want, and Mint is a nice and easy install too, speaking as someone who once swore at Gentoo quite a lot, and has all of Ubuntu's package availability.

That said, I still run a Windows 7 PC for games, too*, as I'm one of those performance freaks (well, more of a motion-sickness freak to be honest, so I need to keep my fps up.  Well, that and I'm becoming too lazy to expend more than the minimum amount of effort to getting something to work).

I vaguely remember having a password "issue" myself when installing Mint.  I think "sudo passwd username" from its shell fixed that one, but it struck me as being a bit of an oversight; either that or a not especially helpful policy decision.

* so, yeah, I run three PCs.  And a laptop.  And my desk also has a couple of Vaxes and a BBC Micro hiding under it for good measure.  I also need to do a stocktake of whatever is lurking in the garage. :/

• Upvote 1

Congrats on getting it to work. :dance:

On 12/9/2016 at 3:18 PM, ladyonthemoon said:

Update: Unity starts; I've even managed to import an existing project that was begun under W7 and everything went fine. It lags though... I'll see tomorrow if things behave better.

That sounds like it's not running on the radeon card. You probably need to set up that gpu switching stuff I mentioned earlier.

• Upvote 1

I can't find much Ubuntu specific information on this that's recent and for this specific hardware setup, so we'll have to try the instructions from the Arch wiki. If I understand it correctly, everything that's needed should already be installed, and all that needs to be done is to configure it.

You need to open up a terminal (the commandline thing) and run a few commands. Post the output of these here, because we need it to do the next part.

This command should tell if the APU is actually being used instead of the Radeon card. (If it shows the radeon card then I've gotten everything wrong XD)

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

Then run this command. It should list all the cards on the computer, but it might only list the APU so don't worry if that happens.

xrandr --listproviders

Edit: You actually need to install mesa-utils to run the first command.

sudo apt install mesa-utils

Edited by RabidGears
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RabidGears said:

I can't find much Ubuntu specific information on this that's recent and for this specific hardware setup, so we'll have to try the instructions from the Arch wiki. If I understand it correctly, everything that's needed should already be installed, and all that needs to be done is to configure it.

You need to open up a terminal (the commandline thing) and run a few commands. Post the output of these here, because we need it to do the next part.

Thank you for your help! :)

It appears that I'm still starting Ubuntu on "nomodeset"; I cannot start it otherwise, if I try the computer just restarts. Maybe this will influence the results of the commands. Somebody says that PRIME should have started by default and that I should find another distribution that actually boots.

mesa-utils seems to be already installed; the other commands return:

anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits)
anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 0

In case it could help, here is the result of the command inxi -Fxz:

anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: GX60-Ubuntu Kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Unity 7.4.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
           Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Micro-Star product: GX60 1AC/GX60 3AE v: E16FKAMS.D06
           Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-16FK v: Ver 1.000
           Bios: American Megatrends v: E16FKAMS.D06 date: 03/05/2013
CPU:       Quad core AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 19963
           clock speeds: max: 2500 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1400 MHz
           4: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8650G]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wimbledon XT [Radeon HD 7970M]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: fbdev,ati (unloaded: vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-36-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: alx port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1570.3GB (22.5% used)
           ID-1: USB /dev/sda model: Portable_SSD_T1 size: 250.1GB temp: 0C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HTS54505 size: 500.1GB temp: 33C
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Elements_1023 size: 500.1GB temp: 0C
           ID-4: USB /dev/sdd model: 3200BMV_External size: 320.1GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 46G used: 14G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.2C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 224 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 1489.6/3136.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35 
anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ 

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Hmm, I think maybe using another distro might be the way to go. I wish I could recommend Arch, but installing it is way too much for someone who's new to Linux. But maybe a distro from the Arch family, like Manjaro, could work. I've heard of people using it as an easy way to install Arch then modifying it to turn it back into vanilla Arch.

Edited by RabidGears

1 minute ago, RabidGears said:

Hmm, I think maybe using another distro might be the way to go. I wish I could recommend Arch, but installing it is way too much for someone who's new to Linux. But maybe a distro from the Arch family, like Manjaro, could work. I've heard of people using it as an easy way to install Arch then modifying it to turn it back into vanilla Arch.

I bet it won't boot either...

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated! :)

I'm going to keep Ubuntu for now, for my everyday needs and keep using Unity with Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest adventure: I spent half of the night saving my Windows 7 volume, and I made it! :woohoo:

What happened is that Ubuntu was originally installed on the Windows 10 partition, that was very small. I decided that it deserved a larger home, so I resized and moved the Wndows 7 partition, created new partitions for Ubuntu and installed it. On reboot, Ubuntu was perfect; Windows 7 was less than perfect: broken mbr. Having the disc I fixed the mbr and rebooted. And this is where serious things began: Windows 7 booted on a "provisional" profile, no desktop, no explorer, nothing, not even an internet connection... Full reinstall was looming on the horizon, but I decided that it wouldn't happen, not this time! :noway:

I searched the internet, found several solutions, tried them, to no avail.

I searched the internet again, found other solutions, tried them, to no avail.

I searched the internet again and this time found something that I felt could work.

In the meantime I had noticed what was wrong: when the Windows 7 partition was resized and moved, it lost its original letter C and got a new once, D. I immediately knew that this was the problem. At first, I tried changing the letter in command line but changing the letter of a volume containing a bootable partition is simply forbidden. Adding to this, it appeared that the partition was not active either. It was time to apply the last solution, which involved modifying the registry.

In case this happens to you too, that, for some reason the letter of your bootable partition is not "C", here is what to do:

1. start Windows and let it create a provisional profile,
  2. use Ctrl+Alt+Del and start the task manager,
  3. use the task manager to start "explorer.exe",
  4. once the explorer started, right click on the waste bin that will appear on the desktop and select "open" (it won't open otherwise),
  5. in the explorer, go to "Computer" and see what letter your partition has; take note of it,
  6. use the task manager to start "cmd.exe", the terminal,
  7. in the terminal run the command
    diskpart
  8. on the prompt, run the command 
    list volume
  9. run the command
    select volume n
    where n is the number of the partition that contains Windows,
  10. run the command
    active

in order to make the partition active,

11. quit Windows; you don't need to save anything.

You now need to fix the mbr again:

1. Boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD
  2. At the “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…”, press any key to boot from the DVD
  3. Select a language
  4. Select a keyboard layout
  5. Click Next
  6. Click "Repair your computer".

This won't modify the letter though. Start Windows again, wait until it has created the profile, redo steps 1 to 5 included, then:

1. use the task manager to start "regedit.exe",
  2. develop "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon" and change the value of "Userinit" on the right, from "C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe," to "userinit.exe,"
  3. develop "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices",
  4. locate on the right "\DosDevices\x:" where "x" is the letter of the partition that needs to be modified back to "C",
  5. right-click "\DosDevices\x:", and then click Rename and modify the name into \DosDevices\C:.

Done! Windows should now start normally.

To finish this, start Windows, launch regedit.exe, develop "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon" and change back the value of "Userinit" on the right, from "userinit.exe," to "C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,".

Go to the "Users" directory and delete the provisional profiles that were created.

Oh, I'm so happy I managed this! :D:D:D

Edited by ladyonthemoon
  • Upvote 2

:pc: Negotiiating with computers.

When the boot order is out of alignment, one can:

1. Change the bios order to boot from the drive of choice, then run repair or install for the 2nd O.S. to be installed using a 2nd drive. Assuming the O.S recognizes mbr & O.S.

2. If only one drive is in the system, choice 1 is not an option, boot from portable os or 'pre installed environment' PE instead.

3. If that fails, muck with it and keep track of the softwares 'boot order'.

Good job!:good:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Time to revive this old thread, since I eventually switched to Linux! Successfully, this time. :P

I installed Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce and managed to make it work as I wanted. This version offers NVidia drivers for my graphic card which solves many problems I had in the past. Now everything I could do under Windows 7, I can do under Linux!

I can use Unity to make my game almost in the same conditions I could under Windows 7, I have a slight overheating problem with it though. I followed a tutorial about how to limit computer overheating problems with Linux and added the recommended tools (TLP, Thermaid and CPUfreq) and I'm happy with them. The tutorial is here. As for the overheating problem with Unity, I can start an additional fan by pressing a button on the keyboard; I don't like it much to use that button but it's far better than having to rely on fans that I cannot control directly. That's what I like in the MSI computers.

I'm getting used to it slowly but I'll make it eventually:

• After struggling with the settings, I eventually managed to have my main programs start centred on the screen. The settings was not clear at first sight, which is why it took me several days  to get it. The trick is setting "Minimum size of windows to trigger smart placement" to "large", the default setting being "small" and selecting "At the centre of the screen".

01.jpg.c1702cd416b10c44206d5c0dd2c0605f.jpg

• I was missing a clock that could be installed on the desktop, I found one today: Time Zone Clock (aka Cairo-Clock), link to the developer's site.
  • The store offers a wide range of apps to use, among them a vast quantity of games:

02.jpg.5eb3befe0a5fc5dd44f41e120fcb11e7.jpg

Linux Mint also offers nice customization for their environment allowing to choose different windows themes, light and dark. I easily found the right look for my installation. I also spent part of yesterday evening searching for background images and here is my desktop today:

03.thumb.jpg.0e95282766243069d22b2e14eb148505.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.2e7b8649c84d6b7624095d94c74fec56.jpg

Looks like I'm on the right track now. :D

Here are my computer specifications:

anne@MSI-GE62-6QF:~$ sudo lshw
[sudo] password for anne:           
msi-ge62-6qf                
    description: Notebook
    product: GE62 6QF (Default string)
    vendor: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
    version: REV:1.0
    serial: 9S716J412218ZG2000143
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: smbios-3.0 dmi-3.0 smp vsyscall32
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook sku=Default string uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-D8CB8AF177F8
  *-core
       description: Motherboard
       product: MS-16J4
       vendor: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       version: REV:0.A
       serial: BSS-0123456789
       slot: Default string
     *-firmware
          description: BIOS
          vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
          physical id: 1
          version: E16J4IMS.10C
          date: 01/07/2016
          size: 64KiB
          capacity: 6080KiB
          capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb biosbootspecification uefi
     *-cache:0
          description: L1 cache
          physical id: 3e
          slot: L1 Cache
          size: 128KiB
          capacity: 128KiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back data
          configuration: level=1
     *-cache:1
          description: L1 cache
          physical id: 3f
          slot: L1 Cache
          size: 128KiB
          capacity: 128KiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back instruction
          configuration: level=1
     *-cache:2
          description: L2 cache
          physical id: 40
          slot: L2 Cache
          size: 1MiB
          capacity: 1MiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back unified
          configuration: level=2
     *-cache:3
          description: L3 cache
          physical id: 41
          slot: L3 Cache
          size: 6MiB
          capacity: 6MiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back unified
          configuration: level=3
     *-cpu
          description: CPU
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 42
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
          serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
          slot: U3E1
          size: 1253MHz
          capacity: 3500MHz
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp md_clear flush_l1d cpufreq
          configuration: cores=4 enabledcores=4 threads=8
     *-memory
          description: System Memory
          physical id: 43
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 8GiB
        *-bank:0
             description: SODIMM DDR4 Synchronous 2133 MHz (0.5 ns)
             product: HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
             vendor: SK Hynix
             serial: 37181049
             slot: ChannelA-DIMM0
             size: 8GiB
             clock: 2133MHz (0.5ns)
        *-bank:1
             description: Project-Id-Version: lshwReport-Msgid-Bugs-To: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>PO-Revision-Date: 2012-02-05 00:26+0000Last-Translator: Andi Chandler <Unknown>Language-Team: English (United Kingdom) <en_GB@li.org>MIME-Version: 1.0Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bitX-Launchpad-Export-Date: 2018-07-12 13:19+0000X-Generator: Launchpad (build 18719)Project-Id-Version: lshwReport-Msgid-Bugs-To: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>PO-Revision-Date: 2012-02-05 00:26+0000Last-Translator: Andi Chandler <Unknown>Language-Team: English (United Kingdom) <en_GB@li.org>MIME-Version: 1.0Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bitX-Launchpad-Export-Date: 2018-07-12 13:19+0000X-Generator: Launchpad (build 18719) [empty]
             slot: ChannelA-DIMM1
        *-bank:2
             description: Project-Id-Version: lshwReport-Msgid-Bugs-To: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>PO-Revision-Date: 2012-02-05 00:26+0000Last-Translator: Andi Chandler <Unknown>Language-Team: English (United Kingdom) <en_GB@li.org>MIME-Version: 1.0Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bitX-Launchpad-Export-Date: 2018-07-12 13:19+0000X-Generator: Launchpad (build 18719)Project-Id-Version: lshwReport-Msgid-Bugs-To: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>PO-Revision-Date: 2012-02-05 00:26+0000Last-Translator: Andi Chandler <Unknown>Language-Team: English (United Kingdom) <en_GB@li.org>MIME-Version: 1.0Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bitX-Launchpad-Export-Date: 2018-07-12 13:19+0000X-Generator: Launchpad (build 18719) [empty]
             physical id: 2
             slot: ChannelB-DIMM0
        *-bank:3
             physical id: 3
             slot: ChannelB-DIMM1
     *-pci
          description: Host bridge
          product: Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 07
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          configuration: driver=skl_uncore
          resources: irq:0
        *-pci:0
             description: PCI bridge
             product: Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16)
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 07
             capabilities: pci pm msi pciexpress normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:120 ioport:e000(size=4096) memory:de000000-df0fffff ioport:c0000000(size=301989888)
           *-display
                description: 3D controller
                product: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
                resources: irq:138 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:df000000-df07ffff
        *-display
             description: VGA compatible controller
             product: HD Graphics 530
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 06
             capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:134 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
        *-usb
             description: USB controller
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
             physical id: 14
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
             version: 31
             capabilities: pm msi xhci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=xhci_hcd latency=0
             resources: irq:124 memory:df410000-df41ffff
           *-usbhost:0
                product: xHCI Host Controller
                vendor: Linux 5.3.0-40-generic xhci-hcd
                bus info: usb@1
                logical name: usb1
                version: 5.03
                capabilities: usb-2.00
                configuration: driver=hub slots=16 speed=480Mbit/s
              *-usb:0
                   description: Human interface device
                   product: MSI EPF USB
                   vendor: MSI EPF USB
                   physical id: 7
                   bus info: usb@1:7
                   version: 1.10
                   serial: MSI EPF USB
                   capabilities: usb-1.10
                   configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=2mA speed=12Mbit/s
              *-usb:1
                   description: Mouse
                   product: USB Optical Mouse
                   vendor: Logitech
                   physical id: 8
                   bus info: usb@1:8
                   version: 72.00
                   configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=100mA speed=2Mbit/s
              *-usb:2
                   description: Bluetooth wireless interface
                   vendor: Intel Corp.
                   physical id: a
                   bus info: usb@1:a
                   version: 0.01
                   capabilities: bluetooth usb-2.00
                   configuration: driver=btusb maxpower=100mA speed=12Mbit/s
              *-usb:3
                   description: Generic USB device
                   product: USB2.0-CRW
                   vendor: Generic
                   physical id: c
                   bus info: usb@1:c
                   version: 39.60
                   serial: 20100201396000000
                   configuration: driver=rtsx_usb maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s
           *-usbhost:1
                bus info: usb@2
                logical name: usb2
                capabilities: usb-3.00
                configuration: driver=hub slots=8 speed=5000Mbit/s
              *-usb
                   description: Mass storage device
                   product: Portable SSD T1
                   vendor: Samsung
                   physical id: 4
                   bus info: usb@2:4
                   logical name: scsi0
                   version: 0.01
                   serial: S25JNAAGB17530R
                   capabilities: usb-3.00 scsi
                   configuration: driver=uas maxpower=896mA speed=5000Mbit/s
                 *-disk
                      description: SCSI Disk
                      product: Portable SSD T1
                      vendor: Samsung
                      physical id: 0.0.0
                      bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
                      logical name: /dev/sda
                      version: 0
                      serial: R03571BGAANJ52S
                      size: 232GiB (250GB)
                      capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                      configuration: ansiversion=6 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512 signature=4641090d
                    *-volume:0
                         description: Windows NTFS volume
                         bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
                         logical name: /dev/sda1
                         logical name: /media/anne/SSDSamsungT1
                         version: 3.1
                         serial: 6edab0aa-8c51-6b44-b3b0-37a73da52ad4
                         size: 116GiB
                         capacity: 116GiB
                         capabilities: primary ntfs initialized
                         configuration: clustersize=4096 created=2017-02-08 08:06:59 filesystem=ntfs label=SSDSamsungT1 mount.fstype=fuseblk mount.options=rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096 state=mounted
                    *-volume:1
                         description: Extended partition
                         bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
                         logical name: /dev/sda2
                         size: 116GiB
                         capacity: 116GiB
                         capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
                       *-logicalvolume:0
                            description: Linux swap volume
                            physical id: 5
                            logical name: /dev/sda5
                            version: 1
                            serial: e01c6a0c-de7e-4550-8c9c-8d82c6081330
                            size: 3871MiB
                            capacity: 3871MiB
                            capabilities: nofs swap initialized
                            configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4096
                       *-logicalvolume:1
                            description: EXT4 volume
                            vendor: Linux
                            physical id: 6
                            logical name: /dev/sda6
                            logical name: /
                            version: 1.0
                            serial: 03682ec3-e237-4d62-8c7c-ab9c3771be61
                            size: 112GiB
                            capacity: 112GiB
                            capabilities: journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover 64bit extents ext4 ext2 initialized
                            configuration: created=2020-02-14 19:06:14 filesystem=ext4 lastmountpoint=/ modified=2020-02-21 13:19:22 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,stripe=8191 mounted=2020-02-21 13:19:23 state=mounted
        *-generic
             description: Signal processing controller
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Thermal Subsystem
             physical id: 14.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
             capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=intel_pch_thermal latency=0
             resources: irq:18 memory:df42e000-df42efff
        *-communication
             description: Communication controller
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1
             physical id: 16
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.0
             configuration: driver=mei_me latency=0
             resources: irq:135 memory:df42d000-df42dfff
        *-storage
             description: SATA controller
             product: HM170/QM170 Chipset SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
             physical id: 17
             bus info: pci@0000:00:17.0
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: storage msi pm ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ahci latency=0
             resources: irq:133 memory:df428000-df429fff memory:df42c000-df42c0ff ioport:f090(size=8) ioport:f080(size=4) ioport:f060(size=32) memory:df42b000-df42b7ff
        *-pci:1
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1
             physical id: 1c
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
             version: f1
             capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             resources: irq:121 memory:df300000-df3fffff
           *-network DISABLED
                description: Wireless interface
                product: Wireless 3165
                bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
                logical name: wlp2s0
                version: 81
                serial: 08:d4:0c:af:c2:3d
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.3.0-40-generic firmware=29.1044073957.0 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
                resources: irq:136 memory:df300000-df301fff
        *-pci:2
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #4
             physical id: 1c.3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.3
             resources: irq:122 ioport:d000(size=4096) memory:df200000-df2fffff
           *-network
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
                bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
                logical name: enp3s0
                version: 10
                serial: d8:cb:8a:f1:77:f8
                size: 1Gbit/s
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=alx duplex=full ip=192.168.1.25 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
                resources: irq:19 memory:df200000-df23ffff ioport:d000(size=128)
        *-pci:3
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5
             physical id: 1c.4
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.4
             resources: irq:123 memory:df100000-df1fffff
           *-usb
                description: USB controller
                product: ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
                vendor: ASMedia Technology Inc.
                bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
                version: 00
                capabilities: msi msix pm pciexpress xhci bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=xhci_hcd latency=0
                resources: irq:16 memory:df100000-df107fff
              *-usbhost:0
                   bus info: usb@3
                   logical name: usb3
                   configuration: driver=hub slots=2 speed=480Mbit/s
              *-usbhost:1
                   bus info: usb@4
                   logical name: usb4
                   capabilities: usb-3.10
                   configuration: driver=hub slots=2 speed=10000Mbit/s
        *-isa
             description: ISA bridge
             product: HM170 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller
             physical id: 1f
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
             capabilities: isa bus_master
             configuration: latency=0
        *-memory UNCLAIMED
             description: Memory controller
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Power Management Controller
             physical id: 1f.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
             clock: 33MHz (30.3ns)
             capabilities: bus_master
             resources: memory:df424000-df427fff
        *-multimedia
             description: Audio device
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
             physical id: 1f.3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
             configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=32
             resources: irq:137 memory:df420000-df423fff memory:df400000-df40ffff
        *-serial UNCLAIMED
             description: SMBus
             product: 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SMBus
             physical id: 1f.4
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.4
             resources: memory:df42a000-df42a0ff ioport:f040(size=32)
     *-scsi:0
          logical name: scsi1
          capabilities: emulated
        *-disk
             description: ATA Disk
             product: TOSHIBA THNSNJ12
             vendor: Toshiba
             bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/sdb
             version: 0101
             serial: 56OS14I8TUQW
             size: 119GiB (128GB)
             configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512 signature=7c2e3bba
           *-volume:0
                bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0,1
                logical name: /dev/sdb1
                serial: ac5c-de88
                size: 766MiB
                capacity: 768MiB
                capabilities: primary bootable ntfs initialized
                configuration: clustersize=4096 created=2017-02-10 17:04:30 filesystem=ntfs label=Réservé au système state=clean
           *-volume:1
                bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0,2
                logical name: /dev/sdb2
                serial: ec3828a5-0192-d741-81d7-ab47ab019ba0
                size: 118GiB
                capacity: 118GiB
                configuration: clustersize=4096 created=2017-02-15 17:21:42 filesystem=ntfs label=W7 state=clean
     *-scsi:1
          logical name: scsi3
        *-cdrom
             description: DVD-RAM writer
             product: DVDRAM GUD0N
             vendor: HL-DT-ST
             bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/cdrom
             logical name: /dev/cdrw
             logical name: /dev/dvd
             logical name: /dev/dvdrw
             logical name: /dev/sr0
             version: 1.00
             capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
             configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
     *-scsi:2
          physical id: 3
          logical name: scsi4
        *-disk
             description: ATA Disk
             product: HGST HTS721010A9
             bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/sdc
             version: A3J0
             serial: JS100Y620GNB9W
             size: 931GiB (1TB)
             configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096 signature=9709ada0
           *-volume
                bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0,1
                logical name: /dev/sdc1
                logical name: /media/anne/Données
                serial: ba5b1029-dadd-4145-ac95-b9cc4bbd1990
                size: 931GiB
                capacity: 931GiB
                configuration: clustersize=65536 created=2017-04-15 13:54:40 filesystem=ntfs label=Données mount.fstype=fuseblk mount.options=rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096 state=mounted
  *-power UNCLAIMED
       description: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
       product: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
       vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
       version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
       serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
       capacity: 32768mWh
Edited by ladyonthemoon

Yep, I am aware it's a laptop, and the hardware really isn't that bad. Good processor, decent vid card. But, it still has a fan, and a heat sink. You would be amazed at some of the stuff I have found in laptop heat sinks..... especially from folks that had pets.... (angora cats, or bunnies, are the worst. :) )