ladyonthemoon

[Abandoned] Switching to Linux

47 posts in this topic

Its better than using WINE if it is not a virtual / emulation of another product.

Further reading shows the REACTOS team shares WINE technology so it can benefit from anything the WINE project does.  It might work different but

it is still intertwined.  Oh well.  It is in alpha phase.  Plenty of time to perfect.

Edited by Ashenfire

So far, I don't see any x64 support either.   However I don't see why it won't happen at some point.

I'm losing my sanity over this. I installed some updates and now I'm asked for my password on login; I enter it one time, ten times, a hundred times and it's refused. I tried to load the live session from the disc: doesn't work.

Is anyone here using FreeBSD?

:crazy: That was un expected.  I'm sorry you are having difficulties.

I  am not using freebsd, sorry.

I've never used it either. Ubuntu should work fine.

I've never had anything like this happen. Was it working properly before you installed the updates?

It's also strange that the live disc doesn't work. If it worked the first time you used it then it should still work unless it got damaged.

Hope is back! I managed to launch the live cd (in nomodeset, for those who know) and reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04.1. This time I didn't allow the updates to be installed during installation  and I selected "security updates only" afterwards. Now Ubuntu starts normally; my cards seem to be supported and I'm installing Unity (the game engine).

Problem is: I cannot select where I want Unity to be installed... (sigh)

Next step: try Unity.

Anyway, hope is back! :toast:

Update: Unity starts; I've even managed to import an existing project that was begun under W7 and everything went fine. It lags though... I'll see tomorrow if things behave better.

Edited by ladyonthemoon

On 11/09/2016 at 5:18 PM, ladyonthemoon said:

I'm losing my sanity over this. I installed some updates and now I'm asked for my password on login; I enter it one time, ten times, a hundred times and it's refused. I tried to load the live session from the disc: doesn't work.

Is anyone here using FreeBSD?

I'm using FreeBSD, though I consider it more of a server system than a desktop one: which isn't to say it isn't a perfectly capable desktop system, but Linux has the edge with software availability which may or may not be ported to FreeBSD, especially where things like proprietary stuff is concerned.  So I run both, FreeBSD (not sure of the exact version offhand, some fairly recent revision of -CURRENT because "ooh the new shiny things" tends to trump being sensible in my case) and Linux Mint on my desktop: although Cinnamon isn't the most comprehensive desktop it is nice and easy to configure and mostly does what I want, and Mint is a nice and easy install too, speaking as someone who once swore at Gentoo quite a lot, and has all of Ubuntu's package availability.

That said, I still run a Windows 7 PC for games, too*, as I'm one of those performance freaks (well, more of a motion-sickness freak to be honest, so I need to keep my fps up.  Well, that and I'm becoming too lazy to expend more than the minimum amount of effort to getting something to work).

I vaguely remember having a password "issue" myself when installing Mint.  I think "sudo passwd username" from its shell fixed that one, but it struck me as being a bit of an oversight; either that or a not especially helpful policy decision.

* so, yeah, I run three PCs.  And a laptop.  And my desk also has a couple of Vaxes and a BBC Micro hiding under it for good measure.  I also need to do a stocktake of whatever is lurking in the garage. :/

Congrats on getting it to work. :dance:

On 12/9/2016 at 3:18 PM, ladyonthemoon said:

Update: Unity starts; I've even managed to import an existing project that was begun under W7 and everything went fine. It lags though... I'll see tomorrow if things behave better.

That sounds like it's not running on the radeon card. You probably need to set up that gpu switching stuff I mentioned earlier.

1 hour ago, RabidGears said:

That sounds like it's not running on the radeon card. You probably need to set up that gpu switching stuff I mentioned earlier.

You mean using PRIME? I'm going to need help over this. :)

I can't find much Ubuntu specific information on this that's recent and for this specific hardware setup, so we'll have to try the instructions from the Arch wiki. If I understand it correctly, everything that's needed should already be installed, and all that needs to be done is to configure it.

You need to open up a terminal (the commandline thing) and run a few commands. Post the output of these here, because we need it to do the next part.

This command should tell if the APU is actually being used instead of the Radeon card. (If it shows the radeon card then I've gotten everything wrong XD)

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

Then run this command. It should list all the cards on the computer, but it might only list the APU so don't worry if that happens.

xrandr --listproviders

Edit: You actually need to install mesa-utils to run the first command.

sudo apt install mesa-utils

Edited by RabidGears

6 hours ago, RabidGears said:

I can't find much Ubuntu specific information on this that's recent and for this specific hardware setup, so we'll have to try the instructions from the Arch wiki. If I understand it correctly, everything that's needed should already be installed, and all that needs to be done is to configure it.

You need to open up a terminal (the commandline thing) and run a few commands. Post the output of these here, because we need it to do the next part.

Thank you for your help! :)

It appears that I'm still starting Ubuntu on "nomodeset"; I cannot start it otherwise, if I try the computer just restarts. Maybe this will influence the results of the commands. Somebody says that PRIME should have started by default and that I should find another distribution that actually boots.

mesa-utils seems to be already installed; the other commands return:

anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits)
anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 0

In case it could help, here is the result of the command inxi -Fxz:

anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: GX60-Ubuntu Kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Unity 7.4.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
           Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Micro-Star product: GX60 1AC/GX60 3AE v: E16FKAMS.D06
           Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-16FK v: Ver 1.000
           Bios: American Megatrends v: E16FKAMS.D06 date: 03/05/2013
CPU:       Quad core AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 19963
           clock speeds: max: 2500 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1400 MHz
           4: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8650G]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wimbledon XT [Radeon HD 7970M]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: fbdev,ati (unloaded: vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-36-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: alx port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1570.3GB (22.5% used)
           ID-1: USB /dev/sda model: Portable_SSD_T1 size: 250.1GB temp: 0C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HTS54505 size: 500.1GB temp: 33C
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Elements_1023 size: 500.1GB temp: 0C
           ID-4: USB /dev/sdd model: 3200BMV_External size: 320.1GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 46G used: 14G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.2C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 224 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 1489.6/3136.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35 
anne@GX60-Ubuntu:~$ 

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Hmm, I think maybe using another distro might be the way to go. I wish I could recommend Arch, but installing it is way too much for someone who's new to Linux. But maybe a distro from the Arch family, like Manjaro, could work. I've heard of people using it as an easy way to install Arch then modifying it to turn it back into vanilla Arch.

Edited by RabidGears

1 minute ago, RabidGears said:

Hmm, I think maybe using another distro might be the way to go. I wish I could recommend Arch, but installing it is way too much for someone who's new to Linux. But maybe a distro from the Arch family, like Manjaro, could work. I've heard of people using it as an easy way to install Arch then modifying it to turn it back into vanilla Arch.

I bet it won't boot either...

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated! :)

I'm going to keep Ubuntu for now, for my everyday needs and keep using Unity with Windows.

Well, I suppose, even as it is it's a better solution than Windows 10. :lol: Hopefully the driver situation will improve in the next few years, and in the meantime you'll be getting experience in using it which will make things easier if you ever decide to give all this another go.

5 hours ago, RabidGears said:

Well, I suppose, even as it is it's a better solution than Windows 10. :lol: ...

Indeed! :lol:

Latest news:

• Windows Update: broken,
  • Backup and Restore: broken, cannot write on the destination partition which is on a separate USB drive.

What the hell??? The only thing that had changed from one day to the other was updating Microsoft Security Essentials. It was the only thing that had changed in my system. I'm going to deinstall MSE and reinstall it, and see what happens

On the Linux/Unity front, I wonder if I could use Unity to make 2D games under Ubuntu; I'll have to try that. And, I had bookmarked this:

Maybe I could do that under Ubuntu. ;)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

My latest adventure: I spent half of the night saving my Windows 7 volume, and I made it! :woohoo:

What happened is that Ubuntu was originally installed on the Windows 10 partition, that was very small. I decided that it deserved a larger home, so I resized and moved the Wndows 7 partition, created new partitions for Ubuntu and installed it. On reboot, Ubuntu was perfect; Windows 7 was less than perfect: broken mbr. Having the disc I fixed the mbr and rebooted. And this is where serious things began: Windows 7 booted on a "provisional" profile, no desktop, no explorer, nothing, not even an internet connection... Full reinstall was looming on the horizon, but I decided that it wouldn't happen, not this time! :noway:

I searched the internet, found several solutions, tried them, to no avail.

I searched the internet again, found other solutions, tried them, to no avail.

I searched the internet again and this time found something that I felt could work.

In the meantime I had noticed what was wrong: when the Windows 7 partition was resized and moved, it lost its original letter C and got a new once, D. I immediately knew that this was the problem. At first, I tried changing the letter in command line but changing the letter of a volume containing a bootable partition is simply forbidden. Adding to this, it appeared that the partition was not active either. It was time to apply the last solution, which involved modifying the registry.

In case this happens to you too, that, for some reason the letter of your bootable partition is not "C", here is what to do:

1. start Windows and let it create a provisional profile,
  2. use Ctrl+Alt+Del and start the task manager,
  3. use the task manager to start "explorer.exe",
  4. once the explorer started, right click on the waste bin that will appear on the desktop and select "open" (it won't open otherwise),
  5. in the explorer, go to "Computer" and see what letter your partition has; take note of it,
  6. use the task manager to start "cmd.exe", the terminal,
  7. in the terminal run the command
    diskpart
  8. on the prompt, run the command 
    list volume
  9. run the command
    select volume n
    where n is the number of the partition that contains Windows,
  10. run the command
    active

in order to make the partition active,

11. quit Windows; you don't need to save anything.

You now need to fix the mbr again:

1. Boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD
  2. At the “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…”, press any key to boot from the DVD
  3. Select a language
  4. Select a keyboard layout
  5. Click Next
  6. Click "Repair your computer".

This won't modify the letter though. Start Windows again, wait until it has created the profile, redo steps 1 to 5 included, then:

1. use the task manager to start "regedit.exe",
  2. develop "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon" and change the value of "Userinit" on the right, from "C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe," to "userinit.exe,"
  3. develop "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices",
  4. locate on the right "\DosDevices\x:" where "x" is the letter of the partition that needs to be modified back to "C",
  5. right-click "\DosDevices\x:", and then click Rename and modify the name into \DosDevices\C:.

Done! Windows should now start normally.

To finish this, start Windows, launch regedit.exe, develop "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon" and change back the value of "Userinit" on the right, from "userinit.exe," to "C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,".

Go to the "Users" directory and delete the provisional profiles that were created.

Oh, I'm so happy I managed this! :D:D:D

Edited by ladyonthemoon

:pc: Negotiiating with computers.

When the boot order is out of alignment, one can:

1. Change the bios order to boot from the drive of choice, then run repair or install for the 2nd O.S. to be installed using a 2nd drive. Assuming the O.S recognizes mbr & O.S.

2. If only one drive is in the system, choice 1 is not an option, boot from portable os or 'pre installed environment' PE instead.

3. If that fails, muck with it and keep track of the softwares 'boot order'.

Good job!:good:

2 hours ago, Ashenfire said:

:pc: Negotiiating with computers. ... Good job!:good:

Thanks! :D

Computers are too stupid; negotiation is not in the order. :P 

My days were about nurturing computers, 'oh is my baby sick'?.  You poor thing!  Let me help you!.

Now, its like they 'grew up' and learned how to rebel just because they can.

Only way to negotiate is to tell the computer EXACTLY how it is going to behave and it will like it.

Nice work lady and tesalliances! Learned a lot from this tutorial