DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Weird Merchant Issue

dolphin66th

hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with one of my custom merchants.  I've followed all the usual steps and double checked everything.  As far as I can tell he should be working normally, but his inventory will only appear if the player has the "merchant" perk added.

I have triple-checked that he is added to JobMerchantFaction and a custom faction.  I have made sure the merchant container is not owned (though I tried it owned as well, same issue).  I have no conditions or scripts attached to this NPC.  I checked the custom faction, the container is set properly, I changed the vendor hours from 8 to 20 to 0 to 24, no change.  Vendor location is set to "near self."  The NPC has stats set properly, is set to level up with the player, class is VendorPawnbroker. 

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

@ladyonthemoon - I think that was an Oblivion merchant issue for the NPC and AI course if memory serves.   I can't remember what it was I had forgotten to tick in the checkboxes but once I noticed that it worked perfectly.  Last night I tried redoing the merchant completely from scratch in case it was something simple, following the same tutorial I use every time - same issue.  Brand new faction, container.  All the other merchants I have made for this mod are working so I'm not totally sure why this one is being stubborn.

@Hanaisse - Vendor location set to "near self", schedule is 0 to 24, merchant container is correct and is placed beneath his shop/house in the void.  Item type is set to VendorItemsMisc as he is a general goods merchant.  The faction is not currently set to "Can be Owner" as for this NPC I don't need the faction to own anything.  Voice type is MaleDarkElf and the merchant dialogue is working - his inventory is just coming up as empty.   When I use the console to manually add the merchant perk to the player the inventory works perfectly.  This is fine for my use; but if I ever want to release this mod I'll need to fix this problem.  And yes, testing from clean saves.

Unfortunately it will be a day or two before I'm able to post screenshots as computer use is limited til next week. 

3 hours ago, fredlaus said:

These are my factions:

JobInnkeeperFaction - JobMerchantFaction - JobRentRoomFaction - LeakingTowersFaction -LeakingTowersSungardFaction - ServicesFortSungardFoodMerchant

I wonder if the connection to the Innkeeper Chest is the culprit in some way?

The chest must be linked to the ServicesFortSungardFoodMerchant.

Which it is. I really don't understand why this does'nt work.

I stopped using merchants in my mods years ago becuse of this issue. At least I managed to make one merchant working but she has no goods to sell. -My guess it is the wrong kind of stuff put into the chest :D I will not give up on this but I am very close to drop the innkeeper business at least. Thanks anyway, lady, you are nr 1.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fredlaus said:

... Thanks anyway, lady, you are nr 1.

You're welcome! :D

I haven't got much time to take a look at your issue. Is your inn keeper a brand new character (not duplicated)? How did you set your Sungard services faction? What happens if you remove the Fort Sungard from his factions list? Do you get the dialogue? You should compare your inn keeper with any of the other vanilla inn keepers and see what you made differently.

Edited by ladyonthemoon

@fredlaus - I haven't tried an outdoor inn, but my innkeepers have been successful.  The tutorial I used can be found here.  The Innkeeper for my custom inn in my village mod even knows to send the server over when you sit by the fire, so I'd say she's working perfectly ;)  If my general goods merchant would only cooperate, I'd be happy.  Like I said - manually adding the merchant perk to the player is fine for my personal use, but I need to figure out why it's not working if I plan to release.  I can't imagine it's the custom dialogue because I've added dialogue to other NPCs and the merchants still work fine.  I'm debating whether to scrap this shop all together and start a new cell; new everything.

Here are the screenshots for his vendor inventory.  I duplicated Lucan's chest for the Riverwood Trader - I haven't even changed anything in its inventory, just its IDs.  I tried changing the vendor location to Linked Reference and linked him to the CounterLeanMarker - this time the dialogue wouldn't appear at all, so I changed it back to Near Self. I don't think the RefID had any effect.

2016-11-09 (3).png

2016-11-09.png

2016-11-09 (1).png

2016-11-09 (2).png

I scrapped the NPC, made a completely new interior, exterior, actor, chest.  I deleted everything related to the old NPC and reloaded the CK before packing the BSA.  Same steps followed as all the other merchants I've made.  I go into his shop, activate and.... same issue!  Merchant only works when I've added the merchant perk to the player.  *whacks head*  I'm so confused....