DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Special Edition Creation Kit Installation

Vain

sBZHBQPqVBahQ3_PjmtG5VuxDJYBaAcycuKTF9a5ZbdQz6dM_o_6E9c5-1NKxeo4XYavohg0jIP4RQhAtmB36rkCyJgPpRJyON5sQ1nAryPPbI8SF0URHYHq0VfCRee5VhNN2hFgThe new Creation Kit for Skyrim: Special Edition is available directly from Bethesda.net rather than through Steam but is a little trickier.
First download the Bethesda.net Launcher

hMjz_Nb1bG7_I7TDnPYSW2QD6lmJRi6Zan1HVuAK8Z02RqvsYx0edt6OjvcRFAAzz1E04V92t3yb1D1PIdd1uSO2XPh87hiKXE0OKiFDdYSBwj17k3Vv8MkQgcPERov3UL6HJbY6Run the installer as Administrator.  The publisher should be verified and should be Zenimax.

It will prompt you to select your language and the next screen asks you where you want to install it.  The default file path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher.  I typically use C:\Programs\Bethesda.net Launcher or D:\Bethesda.net Launcher because of the UAC complications you can encounter otherwise.
Once you’ve selected your language and install location it actually installs it.

Once installed it willFyXJiklbOc0N2rqeG5tqwHYQOyuCJTuCHuaktta7ercL0vkhuT9ZF7uVHSnehboBTOhrMaGA7VrC6dwJ2sry18VZwUB7l6bE39eayM3cTxazupJBtv2KcPTeti-PK5a22NxEjuh9 typically go through an automated update at the same time.  Just wait, eventually the application will open depending on how decrepit your computer is feeling.

You'll then be prompted to sign in or create an account.  This will be your credentials for their website and for the direct upload functionality to Bethesda.net from the new Creation Kit.  Feel free to toggle Remember me

Note* If you cannot download/install and are not in the contiguous United States of America, you may need to use a VPN!

If you are having difficulties logging in (stuck on the spinning square)

• On windows 10 while you have a spinning square, open network and sharing center.VkyP7etiHYlbTNzJc3syGRxr4LJ8WMRYnWPKim7sSVBJLB-C5TSXiz1-83tej78cQ1e7JuYME8TUfEyInXWcc2eqDentExRnqpub2JHCoMxcaSE8YNiVNoUt2fSqtBHLP_LiAA21
  • Click change adapter settings.
  • Right click on your active internet connection, select disable.
  • Re-enable the connection in a few seconds and hope it works.

If you have only a giant grey box

• Check to see if there is a sysinfo.dat file (under 1kb) in the launcher directory.  If there is not, create a sysinfo.txt

If your launcher is sliced in half/sideways/summoning Chattur'gha

• Make sure you meet the minimum system requirements
  • Update your GPU
  • Accept madness

Bethesda considerately adds a large list of favorites to your sidebar, none of which are the actual program you’re looking for.  Remove these extraneous icons by clicking the Cr8zLR48RsRpcsmdF0fD0TTVsww739zOrUUBnOV6Hu7VJJ30BWtp8Cxbl0tBqwUFM4mGXeVsaGMrLAeCS82_LsK3yMH6q_sLnYPt8R57UWdJVEOeRdf6Zi9s6vsYmVsC6qh7pWSC next to each title.
Thankfully the Creation Kit starts with one of the first letters of the alphabet.  gPzYT8yIWvs4d9ZdVlkih50kFtRqD3ccq-tGEfC_5FuhgfFEvcGu4jHenIBkNE8LJUWsH6Fa6fSK3FBKlI6dzTCltvNRU2BBUlWPIVRTQ7Ow5gLeshxhlvmNCxWlDaLiYFxgn9te

Click the big 9CtWwNdXcsSylpZsWZDZ43BSbP8RftZRLVHiQc6n7-TANdR3yQKembVhM6D_8rI8TjhEehQbf2G9AqvBzEc1JqE90sxRo9wN697QdRJzPr2utQ5xNdFKxpXMceVDyuoHqC0dysYO button after selecting Creation Kit: Skyrim

The installation box will pop up and display the default file path ...bethesda.net launcher\games.  Change the directory to ...bethesda.net launcher\games\Creation Kit by selecting Change Location > Make New Folder and naming it Creation Kit.  I hope you remembered to install the Launcher not in Program Files or Program Files (x86).

It will also provide a link to read the EULA located at ...Bethesda.net Launcher\EULA\10\CKSSE_EULA.txt.  I strongly recommend you read it.  There is a lot of very important information regarding your rights and what Bethesda demands from you when you use their software.  Failure to read the EULA and determine exactly what those things are places you at significant risk for the industry standard policy of “guilty until proven innocent” when it comes to perceived EULA violations.
Once done with your reading material, clicking install will begin the download.  Once completed, it’s installed.  You’re not done.
Shut down the Bethesda.net Launcher.  Ensure it is not running in your System Tray.  The only time you will ever use the Launcher with regards to the Creation Kit is if you have issues and need to update or reinstall the Creation Kit.
If you use the Bethesda.net Launcher of other programs I recommend backing up the Creation Kit folder.  Updates may occur without your knowledge and they are rarely beneficial for the end user.
This can be done by simply copying the entire contents of ...Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Creation Kit and pasting it in ...Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition.  Overwrite when prompted.

Already properly installed?  Start here!

I recommend using Notepad++ for the next bit.  You’ll want to edit the CreationKit.ini and CreationKitPrefs.ini.  Open up the CreationKit.ini to start with.  You’re going to be adding a lot of info into this in order to make the Creation Kit usable.  Out of the box it doesn’t actually work.

*Note: Many of these fixes seem to not have any effect.  Using SSE CreationKit Fixes and placing the appropriate lines and sections in the Fixes ini file does.

If you remember the old Creation Kit for Skyrim, setting up this .ini is similar.  There's a [General] section, [Archive] section, and [Papyrus] section (among others).  
You can tweak this setting in your [General] section if you wish.

[General]
uGridsToLoad=5

This setting already exists and 5 is the default value.  You can increase it (recommend not going higher than 7) if you want to load more of an area in the Render Window immediately (performance hit) or decrease it to 1 or anywhere in between to improve cell load times and performance.

Also add the following line anywhere under [General]

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

Without this you will be unable to edit or create any mods that involve more than vanilla Skyrim including its own update file.  But wait, there's more!

There isn't an [Audio] section, so add that line right above the [MAIN] line and underneath the last option in [General].

Your [Audio] Section should look like this.

[Audio]
bEnableAudio=0

This stops 99.9% of all crashes in the Creation Kit.  Don't ask me why, I don't even care, it works and it's beautiful and you'll love it.

[MESSAGES]
bBlockMessageBoxes=1

Turns off the annoying (but informative) popups when loading files in the Creation Kit.  No more need to click through them all!  The worst error messages will be preserved in the Warnings text box and EditorWarnings.txt file which is a new addition with the Special Edition Creation Kit.

Now can we turn on the Creation Kit?  Yes!  Well, almost.  You can, but do one last thing first!

BACKUP YOUR CREATIONKIT.INI OR YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THIS WHOLE RIGAMAROLE OVER AGAIN.  

I mean it.  Make a backup.  I just compress the file in 7z in the same folder the original is in for ease of restoration in the event something bad happens to my CreationKit.ini.

XxOcz4ef3GVnCaWnEqtckp8a_adQkxmF9Tjlx_lI9i8EbvVcmar6Lwt4IQWCTPqrpMYPaqXck8vJtnJ3rMrSzq6F0XIuj-OJI-zlGpSYx4Dx1-ZQ7mzDEc70LuFd78eQn7tNIhY3
Running as Administrator should be second nature by now.  It will pull up a prompt.ZFevB7dgA8yb4AzvqmVdrXByvjEu7j5-EFKu-aAraW66z5irg0F8e8aWuesA_2zJqvnaecUs-adXDCQl07f8km0AYiRavGaZ38v10QnFSMM24Eb-eNcc6Gw4PdItiJkW_WqGvHc9

Doesn’t matter.  Unless you’re planning on actively working on scripts immediately there’s no need.  You can always do it later.  The Scripts.zip folder will remain in your Data folder whenever you need it.
Once it's done the familiar Creation Kit splash screen will pop up and a blank gray box.  After just a few seconds it will disappear and the default layout of the Creation Kit will pop up.  No master files or mods are currently loaded.  Everything is identical in appearance to the original Creation Kit except for a little 64-bit after the title and some menu changes.

Feel free to adjust the layout of the various menus and boxes and then click the red X to close it.

Optional INI File Tweaks

Now we’re going to work on the CreationKitPrefs.ini file.
This file remembers the window positions, Render Window settings, your account login for uploading, and numerous other important convenience and performance tweaks.

[MAIN]
bShowSoundMarkers=0
bShowActivators=0
bShowLightMarkers=0
bShowMarkers=0

I change all of these to 0 because toggling markers off is the first thing I do when I load a cell in the render window.

[Bethesda.net]
sUsername=

Stores your Bethesda.net username in the Creation Kit for easier mod packaging/uploads to their website.

[Bethesda.net]
uiDefaultNumSearchResults=98

This is the number of mods visible in the upload/edit menu of the CK.  It’s default setting is 98 so any mods over that number will no longer be able to be viewed or edited unless you increase the numerical value of this setting.

[Papyrus]
SDLCPrefix=

This sets script fragment prefixes.  Any script fragments you generate will have this in front of them to identify them as yours.  It may only be 4 characters long and consist of only letters, numbers, and underscores.  Now’s a good time to think about what you want your modder prefix to be.

[Scripts]
iOnScriptDblClk=0

This tells the Creation Kit what to do when you double click on a script in the Creation Kit.  0 (the default) value opens the script in the external editor you have associated with .psc files.  1 value opens the script in the Creation Kit (I do not recommend).  2 value opens the properties of the script in the Creation Kit.

[Movement]
iAutoSave Time=

Sets how frequently the Creation Kit will autosave your plugin.  The units are measured in minutes.  I have personally never used this setting but it could be helpful if you are having an especially difficult time with lost work.

Don't forget to backup the CreationKitCustom.ini if you modify it!  It will make for easier restoration if anything happens to the .ini or your settings!

Happy Modding!

Blank .ESP Files and You

If you are packaging a mod that would normally use only loose files and not need an .ESP - in order to make it use a blank .ESP it requires a few additional steps.

1. Your .ESP should require Skyrim.esm as a masterfile.
  2. Once you have loaded your blank .ESP, save it
  3. Once you have saved your blank .ESP, reload the mod in the Creation Kit
  4. You may now package your loose files with a blank .ESP and should not encounter any problems for console or other users
Edited by Vain
  • Love This 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Blank .ESP Files and You

If you are packaging a mod that would normally use only loose files and not need an .ESP - in order to make it use a blank .ESP it requires a few additional steps.

1. Your .ESP should require Skyrim.esm as a masterfile.
  2. Once you have loaded your blank .ESP, save it
  3. Once you have saved your blank .ESP, reload the mod in the Creation Kit
  4. You may now package your loose files with a blank .ESP and should not encounter any problems for console or other users

• 7 months later...

Thanks, helps a lot. Over time will be adding to a thread more focused on stability issues.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition

For some, Program Files can be a bit of a bug bear with UAC issues, but that can be easily solved by moving the Steam location of SSE. :)

On 10/30/2017 at 9:33 PM, lmstearn said:

For some, Program Files can be a bit of a bug bear with UAC issues, but that can be easily solved by moving the Steam location of SSE. :)

Very true, I actually use a second hard drive for 90% of my computer needs now.  That's just the default directory I think.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Neutrogen131313 said:

do i have to install both creation kits to converting from gamebryo engine to havok ?

I have no idea what you're talking about.  I know Gamebryo is a game engine used by multiple Bethesda games.  I know the Creation Kit exists for modding multiple Bethesda games.  I know Havok Physics, Havok Animation, and Havok Behavior were used in the development of Skyrim and by extension I assume Skyrim Special Edition.

I have no experience on needing to convert products or files the game was designed with... 

Prob is i played skyrim legendary and has there a follower mod that i wont miss into SSE but there isn´t an SSE Version from this mod. So i writed to the creator from this mod if its possible that he can convert the follower mod to SSE. He sayed me that he don´t converting mods but if i like he will give me permission to convert them to SSE.

Im real new into creation kit and my answer is now must i have installed both creation kits to convert the Mods from old to new one?

prob is the meshes from gamebryo engine (Skyrim old) are incompatiblity to Havok engine (SSE) and i have also a prob with source and scripts folder as i saw because into old skyrim are there a source  folder in there are scripts into new SSE are there Sources and scripts folder and the scripts folder are into skyrim roots folder not under the source folder :)

So a bit complicated to a newbie like me for to start

• 5 months later...

UPDATE(d) issues?:

BethNet Launcher... Gave up on that.  After waiting weeks for a response to my ticket, they wrote it off and told me to go to the CK Wiki for help...even tho I was asking for help with launching the game itself.  (there's always one TOOL in the bunch to mess it all up) 

I'm happy to report that I've figured out the majority of the issues and have fixed most of them.  Now, I'm stuck on this last CK problem... and I can't move forward with classes unless my CK is working properly... so don't give up on me yet!  LOL  I'm determined!  I can't even bring myself to play the game until I've solved these problems, so it's getting all of my attention during my waking hours.

Edited by PunkN
Updated information

• 2 years later...

Just a friendly FYI, you can no longer download this from Bethesda. Go to Steam. Install the Steam app if you don't already have it. Log in or create an account. Go to the Steam Store and SEARCH for "creation kit". Select the Skyrim Special Edition version. There will be a small green button next to a Windows logo under the description that says "free". Click this and start the download. Agree to the EULA and unzip the Scripts.zip follow when prompted. DO NOT USE THE CREATION KIT UNDER TOOLS (LE version)!!!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1946180/Skyrim_Special_Edition_Creation_Kit/

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the fix. Yay! I can now get multiple files to load.

So a couple of quick questions,

1. Enable audio isn't in the ini file. Should I add it?

2. With the blocking of messages I assume there haven't been any fixes for any of them? 

Edited by Pendraia

• 5 months later...
On 4/16/2023 at 10:17 PM, Pendraia said:

Thanks for the fix. Yay! I can now get multiple files to load.

So a couple of quick questions,

1. Enable audio isn't in the ini file. Should I add it?

2. With the blocking of messages I assume there haven't been any fixes for any of them? 

I'm not sure if you got the answers you were looking for yet or not, but just in case... Yes to n°1, it needs to be added.  And as for n°2, it's not fixed.  Likely never will be, hence the work-arounds found (and shared) by other modders. hehehe!  I've learned a couple extra ini tricks over the years, but not entirely sure if they're something they'd want to add to this post or not.  However, it may be helpful for most people to know, that adding the line "bAllowMultipleEditors=1" is required to be able to mod both Skyrim and Fallout. I haven't started modding Fallout yet, but in case I do, I wanted to make sure I was ready from the start.