DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Study Guides and Modding Tools

DarkRider

Hail Modding Students!

This is an evolving list of our favorite Links of Modding Interest! Many basic and common quandaries are answered here. Use these tools to kick start your journey into the world of modding! If you'd like to see one added send me a link and I'll check it out!!!

Tutorials

The CS Wiki is one of the most important tools in a modder's arsenal and yet so many beginners overlook this wellspring of knowledge. There are many pro modders who have contributed to the Wiki and who learned everything they know from the wiki. So, when in doubt: check the Wiki. These are a few of our favorite Wiki Links!

CS Wiki Main Page - The first page of a modding student's paradise

Modding Etiquette - A Must Read for First Time Modders!

A Beginner's Guide - A basic guide and another MUST READ for the beginning modder.

Dialogue Tutorial - A basic walkthrough for creatting new dialogue and simple quest building.

Quest Tutorial - A more detailed quest building primer.

Working with NIFs 101: An Introduction - A breakdown of manipulating meshes (.nif) for use in Oblivion.

Simple Companion Tutorial - A guide to creating a simple companion NPC.

My First Shop - A basic guide to setting up your first inn.

Rent A Room Tutorial - A guide on creating your first merchants and publicans.

AI Packages Tutorial - Some useful info on understanding AI packages.

NPC's, Horses and You Tutorial - A useful guide to companions and mounted AI packs.

Detailed Guide for Nifskope and Gimp Tutorial - Another retex guide for GIMP users.

Basic Scripting Knowledge Tutorial - An intro to very basic scripting terminology.

My First Script - A brief primer for delving into Oblivion scripting.

My Second Script - A more detailed primer to learning Oblivion scripting.

Mod Cleaning Tutorial - A Tutorial for undoing those "accidental" changes that make your mod a dirty one!

:smarty: Smarty Says: Support the CS Wiki!

UV Mapping in 3DS Max - A tutorial showing you how to UV map a chair in 3DS Max

Modding Tools

Oblivion Construction Set - Oblivion editor for mod creation.

Oblivion Patch v1.2.0416 - A patching utility for upgrading older versions of Oblivion to the moddable v1.2.

GIMP - Free image editing software for texturing.

Paint.Net - Free image editing software for texturing.

Blender - Free modelling software for building/altering Oblivion meshes.

BSA Commander - A BSA unpacking tool for opening vanilla Oblivion BSA files.

NifSkope - The must have tool for retexturing and modeling.

FRAPS - Video Tool for taking ingame vids; free version has small watermark on the image.:

TES4Gecko - Manipulate Oblivion master files and plugins in ways you never imagined!

• Upvote 1

Do you want people to post links to usefull tutorials here?

If you have a tutorial or 2 or 5 that you would like to post links to here by all means, carry on!

I do ask that you post your links with a description of what it is and what it's used for so that even novices can surf the links they need with ease! And that you try not to repost something that is already in the main list!! :)

You should seperate things like an outline... Have like a main page, IE, CS wiki, then down a line and tabbed in is are the specific pages:

CS Wiki - Dialogue - Scripting

Anyhoo here are some sites.

Basic/General Blender Collision

http://niftools.sour...ender/Collision

- Covers adding basic collision boxes so ma bit more advanced collision for those really tricky detailed models.

Basic Riggin

http://obliviontextu...+Blender?t=anon

-Covers a basic way to rigg your models for use ar armor/cloths/etc.

Scripting List of Functions (A referance)

http://cs.elderscrol...ons#0.E2.80.939

- Lists all current scripting function including if its CS, OBSE, or Pluggy. Includes links for info on the functions and how they are used.

_echo

Oblivion BHK Constraints - A tutorial over at the NifTools site that describes the BHK Constraints that work with the Oblivion engine and how to set them up.

Oblivion Character Animation - Another gem at the NifTools site that details creating new character animations. It's geared to blender but contains usefull info no matter what 3D software you use.

Animated Weapons Tutorial - A donwloadable tutorial over at TesNexus on getting animated weapons into the game.

Exporting Animations from Max - I stumbled across this one a while ago. I haven't worked through it yet myself and it's not layed out for complete newbs, but a quick read through showed some valuable information.

Stormfront StudiosSaiden Storm's  tutorials on getting animation from Max into Oblivion. Covers everything from Bow Morphs to custom creature anims.

WT

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Although I'm a teensy bit late in replying to StryderOfOblivion's request, the link below is to a set of three sessions covering basic modeling using Wings3D and the methods necessary to get the models, including collision, into Oblivion.  The sessions do assume that you have a working knowledge of the CS and Nifscope.  They do not assume you have any previous experience in 3D modeling.  Wings3D is an extrodinarily intuitive (free) 3D modeler that is much easier to learn than Blender.  I believe it's the ideal choice for someone beginning 3D modeling.

You can download it at: Wings3D for Oblivion

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You can also use Yacoby's escog tool to get rid of evil GMST, harmless GMST fairly easy, which should work for both Morrowind and Oblivion. All you need to do is to change the path for the game ini file.

Also know that you can use the internal BSA Browser, BSA Creator tool in OBMM to managed BSA files plus the Nif Viewer tool in OBMM. Paint.NET is another tool that has support for dds files.

Edited by Leonardo

• 3 years later...