The_Good_Doctor

Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #30

The post apocalyptic career for you!   6 members have voted

  1. 1. Where in the Wellstone area would you most like to work?

    • Fort Hospitaller
      2
    • The Studios
      1
    • The Market District
      1
    • BoS HQ
      1
    • Northstone District
      1

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
624 posts in this topic

Though if I did, I'd probably eventually find myself killing innocents whether I would have or not normally anyway due to delving further into the dark side.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murdering innocents isn't a requirement of the Darkside, but it's something that fuels the Sith and as we know, the force isn't limited to the Jedi or Sith

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I'd be struggling at the part where I have to murder people. As in, civillians. I can kill soldiers all day, men maybe too. Women and children tho... uh uh.

Maybe I could buypass all that though, I doubt murdering innocents is a requirement. But I'm sure it helps.

That's the thing about the darkside though. Even if you start off with good intentions, you always end up corrupted, and darkened. Anakin is the best example, 

tcwmovie_ahsoka_anakin.png

plUr2WC.gif

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigbossbalrog said:

That's the thing about the darkside though. Even if you start off with good intentions, you always end up corrupted, and darkened. Anakin is the best example, 

Anakin is an example of the failures of the Jedi. The Jedi are so scared of the Force as a whole that they lock away "half" of it and deny themselves attachments, they try to ignore their emotions (and anyone can tell you that's a bad idea), etc. The Jedi way drove Anakin to fear the repercussions of his feelings, his relationship, and his actions so far that he felt he couldn't trust the Jedi, not even his best friend, hell I'd say brother, Obi-wan. They drove him straight into Sidious' web that ensnared him before he was even remotely ready to handle it.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbossbalrog said:

Well if were going by the old canon, Luke is so ******* powerful because he can wield the dark side with uncanny power, because he acknowledges the darkness within him, and embraces it as a part of him.  

In the new canon, he still uses force choke, and wears black all the time.

I didn't mean I'd be Luke-like in the sense that I'd be powerful. I meant that I'd be prone to being ruled by my emotions, but not really driven by ambition like most dark siders tend to be. At least I think. All those tests and shit y'all post always say I'm a bad guy, but I still disagree. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CenturionAquilarius said:

Anakin is an example of the failures of the Jedi. The Jedi are so scared of the Force as a whole that they lock away "half" of it and deny themselves attachments, they try to ignore their emotions (and anyone can tell you that's a bad idea), etc. The Jedi way drove Anakin to fear the repercussions of his feelings, his relationship, and his actions so far that he felt he couldn't trust the Jedi, not even his best friend, hell I'd say brother, Obi-wan. They drove him straight into Sidious' web that ensnared him before he was even remotely ready to handle it.

Anakin certainly had a right to be super pissed at the Jedi Council for what they did to Ashoka, but its his own fault for alot of the things that happened. Try to save his wife? Ends up choking her, murdering her, out of petty jealoulsy, and rage (Dark Side) Brings Order to the galaxy? Ends up becoming a hateful, self loathing, machine.  All of that was caused by the dark side within him.

There's a reason the Jedi preach the way they do. Being overly emotional is a path to the dark side, which is why they dont like attachments, look how that turned out for Anakin.

Anakin was supposed to appear in Episode 7 as a force ghost. Want to see his form?

4973697-mfuhzez.jpg

"When you light a candle, you cast a shadow" Even after his "redemption" he still manifests himself as the dark side. It the duel nature of being the chosen one, he has mastery of light, and dark.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bigbossbalrog said:

"When you light a candle, you cast a shadow" Even after his "redemption" he still manifests himself as the dark side. It the duel nature of being the chosen one, he has mastery of light, and dark.

I guess this would've been for Kylo? Because he appeared as a friendly force ghost for Luke. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

I guess this would've been for Kylo? Because he appeared as a friendly force ghost for Luke. 

"‘When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow.’ That inspired me to propose, for the first time, that Anakin’s ghost could come back […] If we see Anakin Skywalker, because he does flow back and forth between Darth Vader and Anakin, let’s see him as a character with a dark and light side. The reason Luke is this whole new entity is because he was the first to acknowledge his own dark side — that it was not separate from him."

I think you may be right. It would be super cool in the next film, if Anakin appears to Kylo, first as Ankin to try and get him back to the light with kindenss, before taking the guise of Vader to angrily intimidate him and scare him away from the dark side.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bigbossbalrog said:

 It would be super cool in the next film, if Anakin appears to Kylo, first as Ankin to try and get him back to the light with kindenss, before taking the guise of Vader to angrily intimidate him and scare him away from the dark side.

That would be cool. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since were talking about Star Wars and Anakin/Vader I'm curious about what yall think about this small but rather important detail.

Do you think Sebastion Shaw should have been kept at the end with the force ghost or do you like the edit?

Personally how could someone not like Shaw as Anakin, Just look at those faces :D.

21981fda3234239e363a66cbd78dcbfe.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Since were talking about Star Wars and Anakin/Vader I'm curious about what yall think about this small but rather important detail.

Do you think Sebastion Shaw should have been kept at the end with the force ghost or do you like the edit?

Personally how could someone not like Shaw as Anakin, Just look at those faces :D.

21981fda3234239e363a66cbd78dcbfe.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I prefer the Hayden look.

Its Canon too, as in Rogue one he looks like Haydeen, and in rebels as well,

maxresdefault.jpg

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigbossbalrog said:

I prefer the Hayden look.

Its Canon too, as in Rogue one he looks like Haydeen, and in rebels as well,

maxresdefault.jpg

 

I know it's canon but that's one of the things I don't really like, I don't get butthurt over the simple shit like the whole Greedo shot first stuff but Shaw will always be the perfect looking Vader to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another strange edit, Looking from our certain point of view :P having seen the actors play Anakin and Obi Wan this looks very strange but hey it's still interesting to see.

Shgiclr.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bigbossbalrog said:

Anakin certainly had a right to be super pissed at the Jedi Council for what they did to Ashoka, but its his own fault for alot of the things that happened. Try to save his wife? Ends up choking her, murdering her, out of petty jealoulsy, and rage (Dark Side) Brings Order to the galaxy? Ends up becoming a hateful, self loathing, machine.  All of that was caused by the dark side within him.

There's a reason the Jedi preach the way they do. Being overly emotional is a path to the dark side, which is why they dont like attachments, look how that turned out for Anakin.

"When you light a candle, you cast a shadow" Even after his "redemption" he still manifests himself as the dark side. It the duel nature of being the chosen one, he has mastery of light, and dark.

Suppressing your emotions is even worse and that's what the Jedi preach. Attachments aren't in themselves a bad thing, we saw attachments between Qui-gon and Obi-wan for example, but when you form an attachment and fear the repercussions that is bad. We clearly see that Anakin began to fear the Council as soon as he developed feelings for Padme. He has premonitions about her death and he goes to Yoda and Yoda basically tells him to forget about it. Lets not forget that while all this is going on, Palpatine knows about Anakins wife and has been influencing and manipulating him for years, until he sees his moment to really put the screws to Anakin in his moment of weakness and starts trickling details about the Sith, like how Plagueis could stop death. Obvisiouly this is going to **** with his mind quite a bit, and you top it off with his fear and feelings of mistrust with the Jedi Order, years of him being told about his potential and then being treated like a youngling, and being put on the council yet having his counsel ignored, then you get him stopping Mace from executing the only chance he sees of saving Padme.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the we hate the prequels bandwagon. Out of everything my biggest complaint was not having an actor that looked like a younger Shaw, Instead of this 
anakin_skywalker_by_benchowfat-d3c6dnr.p

We got this
3b1a1c299cab65055d817160235d66d0fd530912

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

I didn't mean I'd be Luke-like in the sense that I'd be powerful. I meant that I'd be prone to being ruled by my emotions, but not really driven by ambition like most dark siders tend to be. At least I think. All those tests and shit y'all post always say I'm a bad guy, but I still disagree. 

Rofl true, all my tests say I'm the exact opposite of ambitious, and I only put on an appearance of being bad, lol. Temptation of power isn't always a bad thing if there's not much ambition to go with it. I'm sure most jedi wish to be more powerful, doesn't mean they fall to the dark side.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the we hate the prequels bandwagon. Out of everything my biggest complaint was not having an actor that looked like a younger Shaw, Instead of this 
anakin_skywalker_by_benchowfat-d3c6dnr.p

We got this
3b1a1c299cab65055d817160235d66d0fd530912

Actually, original anakin does look like a younger version of ^that to me. Just, well, young lol. Guy was perfect for Anakin to me. Hot shot pretty boy ruled by his emotions no matter how hard he tried not to be.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a long but worthwhile story about the problems soldiers face after returning home from combat, and how those problems can lead to legal problems.

The Fighter

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That story reminded me, it has next to nothing to do with PTSD, of something I wanted to do for New Years. 

I leave for bootcamp in 174 days and 14 hours.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, BTCollins8 said:

Here's a long but worthwhile story about the problems soldiers face after returning home from combat, and how those problems can lead to legal problems.

The Fighter

This took me all day to read, but it was worth it. It's very sad but also very interesting to get such an in-depth look at an individual's story involving those problems. His journal entries really highlight the progression of how his time in Afghanistan got to him. It's really tragic  especially when you take into account that his is just one story of many.

Also, I know it's not really fair for me to say this, because the story gave us a lot more of Sam's life than the home defender's, and I was more empathetic to what he's been through, but the prosecution really kind of pissed me off with its unwillingness to bend no matter what was put in front of them. Specifically, the claim that Sam's alcoholism was more likely the result of social stress than PTSD was ******* absurd. When it was time for the trial, their their dismissal of any jurors who had military experience was bullshit. And then there was the discrediting of the defense lawyers because of their pay. That shouldn't be relevant or even considered in any court case.

Edited by The_Good_Doctor
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished watching the last episode of the Rome HBO and I must say I really enjoyed it, The series was very enjoyable and I have to say my favourite "characters" were the depictions of Cato the Younger and Servilia.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

This took me all day to read, but it was worth it. It's very sad but also very interesting to get such an in-depth look at an individual's story involving those problems. His journal entries really highlight the progression of how his time in Afghanistan got to him. It's really tragic  especially when you take into account that his is just one story of many.

Also, I know it's not really fair for me to say this, because the story gave us a lot more of Sam's life than the home defender's, and I was more empathetic to what he's been through, but the prosecution really kind of pissed me off with its unwillingness to bend no matter what was put in front of them. Specifically, the claim that Sam's alcoholism was more likely the result of social stress than PTSD was ******* absurd. When it was time for the trial, their their dismissal of any jurors who had military experience was bullshit. And then there was the discrediting of the defense lawyers because of their pay. That shouldn't be relevant or even considered in any court case.

It really highlighted something that's bugged me about veterans, and someone (can't remember who) laid out pretty well. We know how to send soldiers to war, but we don't know how to bring them back. Which has been a problem long before we really recognized it as such. 

The fact this story is about an individual makes it more intimate and the plight more empathetic. Not that you'd expect it needed that. But as you said, the prosecution clearly had no mercy with regards to veterans with PTSD. Comparing it to some other social anxiety was mind boggling. 

But I think the part that shocked me most was how cynical and wary of everything he became by his time in combat, which the journals showed. Just a slow, slogging progression of sadness and despair that continued long after he left the war. I was touching to see his family and girlfriend accept him throughout the ordeal and his life. But you can see how someone without his support structure might get into a destructive spiral. It goes back to not knowing how to bring soldiers back, especially those really effected by war. 

Lets hope things change. We either have to stop sending soldiers to war or learn how to take care of them. I had a former Marine uncle, didn't see much combat at all, mostly repaired C-130s, who died because the VA hospital he went to didn't detect the heart problems that were causing his chest pains, which ultimately killed him in his 30's. Our support system for vets is sorely lacking and needs to be fixed. I hope that, like the District Attorney did towards the end, people can recognize the problems and get these vets help instead of punishing them. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, BTCollins8 said:

But I think the part that shocked me most was how cynical and wary of everything he became by his time in combat, which the journals showed. Just a slow, slogging progression of sadness and despair that continued long after he left the war. I was touching to see his family and girlfriend accept him throughout the ordeal and his life. But you can see how someone without his support structure might get into a destructive spiral. It goes back to not knowing how to bring soldiers back, especially those really effected by war. 

I work closely with AA and was honestly really surprised that this man's story "ended" as happily as it did, with his life improving and experts suspecting that his depression and illness subsiding to a degree. It's tragically common for people with such deep inner turmoil to hit their rock bottom and then never seek the help they need to get out of it, and then eventually get themselves killed. He was very fortunate to have a friend and mother who cared so much. The girlfriend's response to it all was one of the most admirable things in that article to me. It takes a special kind of person to be completely patient and understanding with someone who is so filled with pain and, in his specific case, extremely closed-off about it. She must really love him. 

The messed up part is that it really shouldn't be a burden for people like her and his mother to bear alone. As you said, if we or any nation are willing to send people into a war, some of whom will do and experience things that we can't even fathom, then we should have the decency to recognize what they might've gone through for us, and how a simple "Thanks, now have a good life and enjoy the discounts at certain restaurants."  isn't going to just make those experiences go away. And your example with your uncle is even more aggravating, because he was a really getting care, and he was led to believe he could rely on it, and in the end it proved to be sub-par and failed him, which is a sad example of a serious problem. I'm sorry to hear that happened to your family.

Edited by The_Good_Doctor
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Oasis is pretty dang fun, especially for Reinhardt mainers, since it encourages people to brawl in the point and people try hiding on the sides in small corridors. Perfect for clean sweeping with a hammer, lol.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.