The_Good_Doctor

Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #30

The post apocalyptic career for you!   6 members have voted

1. 1. Where in the Wellstone area would you most like to work?

• Fort Hospitaller
    • The Studios
    • The Market District
    • BoS HQ
    • Northstone District

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
624 posts in this topic
Just now, The_Good_Doctor said:

SPOILERS COLONEL! EDIT THAT SHIT!

500x1000px-LL-c9357dde_palpatine-forcega

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I fucked up didn't I.

raw.gif

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I fucked up didn't I.

It's an awful feeling. I did the same thing to a buddy here in town about the conclusion to the Mountain/Viper situation. I'm big about spoilers myself, so he still hasn't let me live it down.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

They stopped following the books before that. Season 4 only ends with book 3 out of 5. Season 5 is not caught up with the books, and it went totally off-rails in multiple plotlines, one of which, sadly, was my favorite in the series. And they removed several major ones entirely.

Had the show followed the books, it definitely wouldn't be ahead of them at this point, but it stopped following them a long time ago in order to keep the action flowing regularly, which allowed it to sprint through the plotlines at breakneck speed and surpass the books while leaving out a lot of the details that make them so great. 

In fact, GRRM thought he would have plenty of time. Since it took two seasons to cover book 3, he assumed that they would easily have to spend three or even four seasons to cover books 4 and 5, but instead they skipped most of it and went straight past where he is and are now doing their own thing.

Ok that makes since. I definitely noticed a change in the story telling, but I didn't know why it had happened.

Edited by CenturionAquilarius
******* autocorrect

Though who knows who this is from, no one knows the guy, could be anyone but man it's good.

Posted (edited)

Damn. That is good. You really don't know anything about who wrote it?

Edited by The_Good_Doctor

27 minutes ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

Damn. That is good. You really don't know anything about who wrote it?

It reads like MK work and that would be my guess, I mean who else does MK better than MK? But I just found that by chance when fact checking myself for a lore question on Tumblr about enantiomorphs.

Well, it starts off sounding like MK, the rest is too coherent for him. I'd say it's like the Trial of Vivec, it's likely a collaborated work.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Well, it starts off sounding like MK, the rest is too coherent for him. I'd say it's like the Trial of Vivec, it's likely a collaborated work.

I was about to say this. The beginning was MK-inspired if nothing else. But the moment we jumped to the Second Era, I was able to understand everything I read, which is decidedly un-MK. Lol

Is this confirmed to be written by old devs, or do people just think it because the way it's written? I don't know the profile who posted it, but it's entirely possible that a fan who also happened to be really good at mimicking their styles did this. There are folks on teslore that attempt to do it all the time, though they're rarely this convincing. 

Edit: Forgot you said no one knows. 

Posted (edited)

I could definitely see MK and anther dev doing this though. It has his "anti-Imperial" and "old Nords were terrifying" slants between the lines, and the weird future segments certainly read like some of his past works.

Plus, didn't MK get banned by the mods during some argument? It would explain why the poster is being so low-profile, if he just wants to share some works without giving himself away.

You're right, which is why I'm always hesitant to use anything I find in Reddit unless I can back up the source myself.

And any time the devs, current or in the past do drop something, it's big news. Especially MK, C0DA had a better promotion campaign than Titanfall 2, lol. Which I didn't even know existed until recently.

Just now, The_Good_Doctor said:

I could definitely see MK and anther dev doing this though. It has his "anti-Imperial" and "old Nords were terrifying" between the lines, and the weird future segments certainly read like some of his past works.

Plus, didn't MK get banned by the mods during some argument? It would explain why the poster is being so low-profile, if he just wants to share some works without giving himself away.

That or he closed it himself, I have no idea what happened there. But it does make me feel better if even MK can get banned from the boards. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You're right, which is why I'm always hesitant to use anything I find in Reddit unless I can back up the source myself.

And any time the devs, current or in the past do drop something, it's big news. Especially MK, C0DA had a better promotion campaign than Titanfall 2, lol. Which I didn't even know existed until recently.

I like to use Reddit for fun ideas, but rarely ever for reliable information. People there state things as fact without backing it up just because that's the way they want them to be. And it is very common, like, every next time I go there, that I spot them answering questions downright incorrecty, and not getting corrected.

XD I learned about Titanfall 2 from Angry Joe. Yesterday. According to him, it's really damned good. Anyway, you're absolutely right about the dev drops. The hype surrounding the Amaranth stuff a couple (more?) years ago is what finally got me to cave and start delving into the deeper lore that he put out. Even now though, C0DA remains the weirdest and most difficult one for me to get behind, which I suppose is the point. 

Just gotta read C0DA like you would the Bible, if you read some of it metaphorically like I do anyway. Like all that stuff about gangster rap videos and such, just a way for you to get that they were surfing the TES web, it's just there to be relatable. Which is funny because it's even less relateable since no one expects gangster rap and TES to be included in the same sentence.

Same with ALMSIVI adventures flashbacks, it's supposed to remind you of old cartoons, that's how the dunmer see them and their stories. Like DBZ episodes on a school night, lol.

As for reddit, some of them there really know their stuff, and then others just pretend to. It's honestly the best discussion place for lore, but you gotta know the lore yourself to differentiate between legitimate and pretentious bullshit.

And yea I pretty much stole that Titanfall joke word for word from Angry Joe XD

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Just gotta read C0DA like you would the Bible, if you read some of it metaphorically like I do anyway. Like all that stuff about gangster rap videos and such, just a way for you to get that they were surfing the TES web, it's just there to be relatable. Which is funny because it's even less relateable since no one expects gangster rap and TES to be included in the same sentence.

Same with ALMSIVI adventures flashbacks, it's supposed to remind you of old cartoons, that's how the dunmer see them and their stories. Like DBZ episodes on a school night, lol.

As for reddit, some of them there really know their stuff, and then others just pretend to. It's honestly the best discussion place for lore, but you gotta know the lore yourself to differentiate between legitimate and pretentious bullshit.

Yep. The best example of this done by the devs, in my opinion, is the Cyrus Origin comic. It is all sorts of fun. And the weirder parts are mostly kept on the subtle side, making it more accessible. 

It's definitely the best place for discussion. Bethesda nuked their own forums and so most folks moved on, and the new one is complete garbage. At least with Reddit, there is still a pretty sizable community and regular quality content. It's just that you have to sift through the annoying MK-wannabes while taking everything that's not proven with a grain of salt. Some of the best parts, imo, are that MK and Lady Nerevar (especially the latter) still post there. And the analysis/theory/discussion posts are even better than most of the old ones at Bethesda.

One of my all-time favorite posts there completely changed the way I viewed the Soul Cairn, for instance. And it brought to my attention that I was wrong about how soul gems worked.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And yea I pretty much stole that Titanfall joke word for word from Angry Joe XD

You'd have or probably gotten away with that one if his top 10 best games of 2016 list wasn't the very last thing I watched last night before going to bed. :P I was shocked that he ranked it higher than Overwatch, because I remember tha he really really liked that game. Honestly, I felt like if his top 10 were at all representative of the industry last year, then 2016 was an altogether weak year for gaming compared to 2015.

I like some things on the teslore reddit. Mostly stuff having to do with shadow magic. I've done some searching on the old Beth forums but haven't turned up as much stuff on shadow magic as I did on the teslore reddit. But with that stuff there's isn't a whole lot established so theres less opportunity for conflict. 

I don't know, I thought 2016 seemed like a pretty good year for gaming. There were several games I picked up that I enjoyed, plus others I didn't that I definitely want to play at some point in the future. And a few video game writers I read talked about it being a good year for games. Quantity and quality wise. But I guess it's pretty subjective. It depends on how much you like certain games and what you're looking for more than anything. If you hated fps games, for instance, than this year you'd miss out on several really good games. 

Posted (edited)

I'm suprised Joe ranked Total War Warthammer so highly. Though he's a huge Total War fan, and Warhammer fan, so its expected. Games amazing by so much dlc

That and Battlefield are my favorite games this year.

Edited by bigbossbalrog

10 minutes ago, BTCollins8 said:

I don't know, I thought 2016 seemed like a pretty good year for gaming. There were several games I picked up that I enjoyed, plus others I didn't that I definitely want to play at some point in the future. And a few video game writers I read talked about it being a good year for games. Quantity and quality wise. But I guess it's pretty subjective. It depends on how much you like certain games and what you're looking for more than anything. If you hated fps games, for instance, than this year you'd miss out on several really good games. 

I almost edited myself to say that it was an absolutely outstanding year for FPSes and apparently strategy games. Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Titanfall 2 (supposedly), and the Doom reboot all kicked ass. 

Less-so for other niches like RPGs, adventure games, and other single-player story and character-based genres. The only really good ones I can think of were Dishonored 2 and Uncharted 4. And horror this year sucked. Were there any good ones besides Into the Woods (according to Balrog. I haven't played it yet) and We Happy Few?

3 minutes ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

I almost edited myself to say that it was an absolutely outstanding year for FPSes and apparently strategy games. Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Titanfall 2 (supposedly), and the Doom reboot all kicked ass. 

Less-so for other niches like RPGs, adventure games, and other single-player story and character-based genres. The only really good ones I can think of were Dishonored 2 and Uncharted 4. And horror this year sucked. Were there any good ones besides Into the Woods (according to Balrog. I haven't played it yet) and We Happy Few?

Layers of Fear. Though thats hotly debated as critics and players are really divided on it (It has really high user reviews and average critics reviews) I adored the atmosphere and story, even if the gameplay was no existing. Through the Wood is really good as well (Especially for Norse Horror fans). 

Besides those, I was pretty disappointed. The Resident Evil 7 demo was awesome, though that aint a full game.

1 minute ago, bigbossbalrog said:

That and Battlefield are my favorite games this year.

Battlefield and Dishonored 2 take it for me. Nothing else even comes close.

-Though I have held off on buying Overwatch in for when I get a PS4. I've been playing it on a friend's some and definitely enjoyed it. 

1 minute ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

Battlefield and Dishonored 2 take it for me. Nothing else even comes close.

-Though I have held off on buying Overwatch in for when I get a PS4. I've been playing it on a friend's some and definitely enjoyed it. 

I loved Dishonored 2, but the plot was such a retread I had dock stuff off it. That and the horrible, horibbbbbbbbbbble PC port.