The_Good_Doctor

Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #31

The Queendom of Space World   6 members have voted

1. 1. Congratulations! The year is 2279, and a Lady of the Queendom has taken it upon herself to pay your debts to a certain local crime boss. The downside? You are now her serf. What do you do?

• Accept your new life. There are worse things than being a servant.
    • Embrace the Queendom's culture. Work hard, train hard, and win your freedom in a tournament!
    • Use your charisma to sow discord among your fellow serfs. Start an uprising!
    • Assassinate your Lady for an ambitious rival noblewoman to earn her favor.
    • Hack some of the Queendom's machinery, causing absolute mayhem! Use the distraction to escape.
    • Quietly sneak away and never look back.
    • Use your agility and charisma to get the Lady into bed, rock her world, make her toes curl, and become her favorite pet.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
432 posts in this topic

You know something else, There is something I find odd about Jhunal's depiction.

Jhunal.jpg

Originally I thought he looked like a fantastical Druid with that clothing but looking at it now there is something strangely Eastern about his clothing, It's very loose and flowing which is something useful in that part of the world but in a Scandinavian like environment?

Look at the concept art and see these pictures.

ancient-medes-clothing167.jpg

72db15f15548df4541f2515488ca82fe.jpg

ancient-medes-clothing166.jpg

While obviously not direct copies there is something similar between these things, There's something almost Zoroastrian about the Hermetic God. Even in his clothing's patterns.

What do you guys think, Looks more Druidic or eastern?

In a way it makes some kind of sense to me, As seen in Shor son of Shor it looks like Shor is disgusted deeply at the Hermetic God who is so starkly different compared to the other gods. I wonder if Jhunal sided with Shor during the war and was never original allied to him prior to that.

I don't see it. To me it just looks like an owl-themed Greybeard robe with the hood and shoulders removed. It's loose, but not like those other images, and probably still thick and heavy instead of thin and flowing. I'm not picking up on anything distinctively related between the patterns either. Seems like a fairly plain motif that doesn't really stand out much from the other examples of the Ancient Nords being obsessed with zoomorphism. Jhunal just appears less wild or fierce than Shor, Kyne, Alduin, Mara, Dibella, or Tsun/Stuhn, because that's his thing, to be the one not representative of Nordic values.

The only things in the mural that strike me as RL-eastern is the mural itself, but that's nothing new, and possibly the dog. The rest looks distinctively Nordic to me.

To me it would just be a case of the developers putting in what they think would be cool or whatever they happened to think of at the time. Not everything in the game has a historical background and is just thought up by the developers imagination. 

11 minutes ago, Witchking_of_Angmar said:

Not everything in the game has a historical background and is just thought up by the developers imagination. 

I agree pretty strongly with this. Not everything has to be related to real-life, and it's generally better in TES when they don't try to hard to make it that way.
But I do think that the murals in the Halls of Stories are actually one of the very few instances in Skyrim where Bethesda actually did make a special effort to put a lot of meaning in the artwork. They were all drawn up by Adamowicz for an old design document written by MK, who is notoriously obsessed with layering meaning into things. Plus, these are pretty significant in that they are the only depictions in the series of Nordic gods in human form (besides some carvings of Shor's face), and each one is given pretty distinct features and symbols that fit with what we know about their spheres.

Edited by The_Good_Doctor

54 minutes ago, The_Good_Doctor said:

But I do think that the murals in the Halls of Stories are actually one of the very few instances in Skyrim where Bethesda actually did make a special effort to put a lot of meaning in the artwork. 

I think that can still pretty much be attributed to a developers imagination. If you can call MK a developer. Though I will say he got one extraordinary imagination. 

Edited by Witchking_of_Angmar

17 minutes ago, Witchking_of_Angmar said:

I think that can still pretty much be attributed to a developers imagination. If you can call MK a developer. Though I will say he got one extraordinary imagination. 

Definitely. I agree with you about it being from dev imagination more than a strict adherence to specific real world inspirations. Just noting that the Halls of Stories in particular stand out as being a little more than just whimsical ideas.

And yeah, MK used to be a dev. Now Bethesda just hires him to write specific pieces and plot lines, and they sometimes take his out of game work and use it, like with Heimskr. He certainly does have a wild imagination.

Alrighty point taken, Though I only meant eastern in the fact his clothes looked loose and flowing and the patterns while not like the pictures I gave as examples to show the looseness did seem to have that feel. However as you both mentioned I cannot take everything literal with Bethesda when TES is involved, Probably never crossed their minds that Jhunal's clothing looked like it would be inspired by historical clothing.