ladyonthemoon

Buying a new computer...

73 posts in this topic
Just now, HeyYou said:

You could try Revo Uninstaller Portable, or, Unlocker, see if either of those solutions will make it all go away.

I'd rather use a good old console command. Do you know one that would shred the damn thing?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows will still bellyache about permissions. :) Unlocker would solve that, but, rumor has it, it comes with some variety of malware. (I installed it on my win 7 machine, and scans never turned up anything though.....) Revo is actually pretty good, it will scan for additional files and registry entries, and allow you to delete them. Never had any real problems with that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Revo but you have to be careful and review the tree it gives you before you hit delete to ensure that nothing detected is connected to something you want to keep .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

I found the origin of the problem: it happens that a process belonging to Intel drivers is hijacking Steam. It's best described here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/108730

Wow. Intel goofed on their drivers, and it is trying to usurp steam files? Wonder what they were thinking there...... Apparently, the fix is just to use an older driver? That's easy enough. :) Not like skyrim cares what intel drivers you have, considering it doesn't use the intel graphics. :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HeyYou said:

... Not like skyrim cares what intel drivers you have, considering it doesn't use the intel graphics. :D

I wish it were true, whatever I do, Skyrim starts on the integrated graphics.

Actually, what happens is that anything running under Steam starts on the integrated graphics. It happens that I've been playing and old version of Skyrim for months now, due to the lip sync bug. This version is legitimate of course, it's mine; apparently I saved a complete intall of 1.8.151.0 once, for some reason I don't remember of and I found it a day I decided to do some cleaning in my hard drives. Lucky me, I've been able to escape the horrendous lip sync bug! :D So, when I launch that version, the selector finds the GPU and uses it instead of the integrated, choosing ultra settings.

After half an hour playing, temperature rose to 61° C (~142 °F) for the GPU and never went above 60°C for the CPU. Doesn't look too bad, what do you think?

A few images of Skyrim (First Edition, not the Special one - I hate to have to write this each time) on my new laptop? :D

TESV-2017-02-19-13-10-34-78.jpg

TESV-2017-02-19-14-03-56-57.jpg

TESV-2017-02-19-14-20-03-70.jpg

TESV-2017-02-19-14-20-36-59.jpg

 

Edited by ladyonthemoon
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temps are good, considering its a laptop. :)

I am curious just how the launchers decide with graphics solution to use, when it has a choice..... Or if that was even something Beth considered when writing it.....

Screenies look awesome. :D What is your Ugrids setting, and what mods are you running?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HeyYou said:

Temps are good, considering its a laptop. :)

I am curious just how the launchers decide with graphics solution to use, when it has a choice..... Or if that was even something Beth considered when writing it.....

Screenies look awesome. :D What is your Ugrids setting, and what mods are you running?

Graphics selection is probably coded.

I'm playing with a ugridstoload set to 7, no graphics mod, no enb involved if that's what you're asking. :) I'm using my own mods plus the ones described in my profile here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pushed my Oldrim Ugrids to 9, and it looks frigging awesome from Dragonsreach. :) The view of the porch is stellar. It does kinda hurt performance, but, not enough to make me want to change it. And the game seems to run just fine at that setting. I haven't encountered any issues with things 'happening' before they should..... Chasing dragons can be a pain though.

That looks really good for no texture mods. :)

Are you likin' the new machine yet?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HeyYou said:

I pushed my Oldrim Ugrids to 9, and it looks frigging awesome from Dragonsreach. :) The view of the porch is stellar. It does kinda hurt performance, but, not enough to make me want to change it. And the game seems to run just fine at that setting. I haven't encountered any issues with things 'happening' before they should..... Chasing dragons can be a pain though.

That looks really good for no texture mods. :)

Are you likin' the new machine yet?

Hey now that I have a more powerful computer, maybe I could get back to a ugridstoload of 9? I used it a long time on my previous machine but I had to renounce in time.  Never encountered any issue either, whether on 9 or 7.

My opinion is that Skyrim doesn't need any graphics mod, it just looks better on better machines, I'm afraid, which is kinda unfair I suppose. :)

I'm slowly getting used to the new machine but I'm frustrated that I cannot have the ck run on the GPU instead of the integrated. I'll probably have the same problem with Unity. The heat bothers me a bit too. :(

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My machine is 7+ years old, and handles it just fine. Yours shouldn't even break a sweat. :) Watch the temps though, just in case.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HeyYou said:

My machine is 7+ years old, and handles it just fine. Yours shouldn't even break a sweat. :) Watch the temps though, just in case.

It's a desktop I guess. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

It's a desktop I guess. :)

Yep. Its pretty much a dedicated gaming machine. I have a laptop for other purposes, but, I certainly don't game on it. :) (I use it to talk to my truck. :D)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeyYou said:

Yep. Its pretty much a dedicated gaming machine. I have a laptop for other purposes, but, I certainly don't game on it. :) (I use it to talk to my truck. :D)

You train your wagon? :P

There is a spot I use to compare between ugridstoload 7 and ugridstoload 9; it's just outside Rorikstead in the direction of the Robber's Gorge. I just made the comparison and it appears that ugridstoload 9 is not worth; 11, on the other hand...

uGridsToLoad=7

TESV 2017-02-19 16-44-00-50.jpg

 

uGridsToLoad=9

TESV 2017-02-19 16-46-16-91.jpg

 

uGridsToLoad=11

TESV 2017-02-19 16-54-00-78.jpg

 

I'm back to uGridsToLoad=7. :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hhhmmm.... Not seeing much difference between 7 and 9 there..... Looking at the area where the 'hole' is, just across the river, looks exactly the same. Did the setting take for that shot??

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Hhhmmm.... Not seeing much difference between 7 and 9 there..... Looking at the area where the 'hole' is, just across the river, looks exactly the same. Did the setting take for that shot??

That was my point: 7 and 9 are barely different. Same settings for the three images, except for the ugraidstoload, of course.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks pretty good on my screen too. :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Looks pretty good on my screen too. :)

Great! :good:

After assigning them to the GPU in the control panel of the Nvidia card, it appears that both the Creation Kit and Unity are using it. Phew... Doing this for Skyrim doesn't work though and I don't understand why.

These problems notwithstanding things are coming close to normal now. :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's "Normal"? :D

Makin' progress. Which is always a good thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HeyYou said:

What's "Normal"? :D

Makin' progress. Which is always a good thing.

Well, "normal" would be "in order" according to my definition of "order", which would be me feeling comfortable when I use my computer. :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now