OngaaftheUnliving

I need help finding the correct versions of Blender, Python nif scripts, PyFFI and NifSkope.

I have been modding for Morrowind and Oblivion for quite some time, mostly involved in making armour in Morrrowind, Oblivion not so much. I use Blender and thus am now attempting to try and make a helmet in Skyrim but I have had no luck finding the specific versions of the programs I need to be able to import/export nif files into Blender. I have been able to find the correct versions seemingly. I have installed Blender 2.49b, Blender_nif_scripts-2.5.9.77b0815, PyFFI 2.1.11.cefd181.win32, Python-2.6.6. I am using the most recent version of NifSkope 2.0 Alpha and I have attempted to set the users 1 and to from 12 and 83 to 11 and 34 as well as removed the BSLightingShaderProperty. Upon saving the model in NifSkope for the process of importing into Blender I receive the Python script error stating that the array is too long in Blender when attempting to import. If anyone knows any links to more relevant versions of Blender, Python nif scripts, PyFFI, and NifSkope I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you.

I don't know if this will help but in case you missed it here's the TESA tutorial for weapons: TUT

It was last updated in '15. Hope it helps. :)

Perhaps I might be able to export the skeleton nodes as a .obj file as this tutorial states. I will have to export the mesh in that format as well since I can not work around the python import error with skyrim nif files. I may perhaps be able though to import both as .obj and do my linking and then export as nif then perhaps find a way to make it work in NifSkope.

Many thanks.

Can you import other nifs? Blender can be tricky when the name of the NiTriShape is too long. The nif you want to import must have only the BSFadeNode, NiTriShape and NiTriShapeData.

Or you can post the file here if you want.

Here is a link for Blender:

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Blender

I can import Morrowind and Oblivion nifs. I am attempting to make a helmet and am thust trying to import malehead.nif. I was unsure if I needed to change the user numbers to anything besides 11 and 34. Can I simply change the NiTriShape name or delete it all together? I will have to attempt this method.

Thank you much!

Changing the User Versions and deleting the BSLightingShaderProperty block (entire block, not just that branch) is all you need to do. :)

Post a picture of the exact error message you see in Blender, and post a picture of your "import ready" mesh that you're using. Issues like this require more details than just 'it doesn't work'.

Ok, I don't see anything wrong in the pictures, but that doesn't mean there isn't. I can import malehead.nif just fine in my setup.

Possibly there's some kind of extraneous info in your nif hiding somewhere. Attach it here for me please?

Ok, that's definitely a corrupted mesh. I suggest you start again, change the User Versions first, then delete the BSLightingShaderProperty block, save under a new name. Then try to import to Blender.

Are you sure you have the latest version of NifSkope?

I am using NifSkope 2.0 Pre-Alpha 6, the first version that appears in that link. I have tried this again and received the same Blender/Python error as before.

I appreciate the assistance but I think at this point I might just give up. :D

Never give up. :P

Use this modified head nif. If this doesn't work then uninstall your Blender, NifScripts, and Pyffi and make sure to download from the links on the Blender page garnet linked above.

skymalehead.nif

I received a "Sorry, you do not have permission for that." error.

Edited by OngaaftheUnliving

Just clicking on the link? It's just an attached file, shouldn't be any issues downloading it, unless the site is still having problems from the last upgrade. I'll PM you another zipped version.

There's no possible reason for it to be blank. Reinstall Blender and everything associated with it. Install in the order the programs are listed on that page.

Ah, I was waiting for Hana to step in here.  She knows how.  I was going to mention the "order of install" for blender 2.49 and stuff. I`ve had troubles stemming from placement of the python and nif scripts stuff. Armor rigging twists my brain so I held off.  Please don`t give up, you`ll get it. When you do ... I guarantee you`ll jump for joy.

That is how I have done it. It simply just doesn't feel like working. I'll probably just have to break down and buy one of the modeling programs if I really feel like it.

Thank you again though.

I just uninstalled everything, deleted the existing folders for python, pyffi and blender then reinstalled everything. It is now functioning as it should.

When I remove BSShaderPPLightingProperty for the NiTriShape of my helmet, the helmet mesh is deleted. Is that supposed to happen?

Glad to hear that your install is now working. I`ll leave your mesh question for Hana since I have very little knowledge of this.

On 2017-03-25 at 2:52 AM, OngaaftheUnliving said:

When I remove BSShaderPPLightingProperty for the NiTriShape of my helmet, the helmet mesh is deleted. Is that supposed to happen?

No, absolutely not. The mesh will turn blank until you add a new  Skyrim BSLightingShaderProperty, but it won't be deleted.