DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Help] skin errors after mesh editing

jofash

This is my first attempt on mesh editing using 3ds, and a weird thing happened when I tried to edit an existing shrouded armor mesh. I was trying to delete some polygons so that I can replace it with new ones in the future. 

This is what I did on 3ds
-import torso_0.nif
-click on editable mesh
-select polygons
-delete the ones I don't like
-export back to .nif
-repeat for torso_1.nif

Notice that I didn't do anything to the skin modifier or anything, I was just removing some stuff. So when I tested my meshes in-game, the exposed skin looks weird, and the thong part on her crotch is somehow turns blue where it should be black, like the rest of the armor

1.PNG.58221a1fac51d332a75feeac4c1a8b3d.PNG

when normally, it looks like this

2.PNG.6c969802c7632bf63278a046143c6fcc.PNG

I got the mesh from this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34160
and I'm using 3ds max 2017

so if anyone knows what did I do wrong, that would be great
thanks in advance

I'm assuming that this is for classic Skyrim, given that the original mod is for that.

It looks like you're applying the same settings to the body that you have on the armor. The skin shininess is most likely being caused by the "SLSF1_Specular" flag being set in "BSLightingShaderProperty->Shader Flags 1". Body meshes should not have this set, so it needs to be unchecked. You probably have many other settings incorrect as well, so they will need to be changed to the correct settings for a body mesh. So you need to copy the settings from the original body mesh to your new body mesh. Take a look at this tutorial, specifically the part on NifSkope, for the details on what you need to do. It doesn't matter that the tutorial is for Blender, because the NifSkope section is the same for meshes exported from Max.

N.B. One thing to bear in mind: That tutorial is for an older version of NifSkope. If you're using a newer version (2.0.0 Pre-Alpha versions) then the part on "NiTriShapeData->Num UV Sets" is different. Instead of just setting "Num UV Sets" to 1 you need to set the next field "Extra Vectors Flags" to "None".

So to clarify:

In NEW NifSkope, Body meshes should have "Num UV Sets = 1" and "Extra Vectors Flags = None", while Armor meshes should have "Num UV Sets = 1" and "Extra Vectors Flags = Tangents_Bitangents".

Edited by RabidGears
  • Upvote 2