DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[OBL] Packaging Mods?

dolphin66th

Hi all, what's the best way to package a mod for Oblivion?  I have packed a BSA and it is named the same as my .esp, but Oblivion doesn't seem to be able to read it.  Do most of you just pack the files loose in the zip?  Or did I do something wrong with the BSA?  (I haven't actually used that many resources, but I need the static fireplaces at the very least.... the rest I suppose could be edited out).  I used BSAOpt to pack the BSA.  Also, with a different mod I had tried TES4Files to pack the mod automatically and it missed a bunch of resources so I ended up reverting everything to vanilla rather than trying to find every file individually.  In this case that won't necessarily work.  In this case it found everything and the file paths are correct but in game I see a bunch of those big yellow missing mesh statics.  Is there any automated app that works better than TES4Files?

7 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

I just answered in the chat, BSA do not work in Oblivion, at least not for mods; you have to leave the files loose. Just organise them exactly like they are organised in the game:

Data

• meshes
  • textures
  • sound

and pack them with the esp in the zip you'll upload. :)

Are you sure on that? I see quite a few Oblivion mods with assets backed in bsa format.... MMM, and OOO being to primary examples....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Well, it didn't work for the sound files in my Miscarcand Inn mod, so I supposed it didn't at all. :)

That's just odd. :) Wonder why it was giving you a hard time.... Did you have other assets in the bsa as well? Or just sounds?

Just now, HeyYou said:

hate to state the obvious, but, was it named correctly?? (exact same as the esp.)

Of course, they wouldn't work otherwise, and as loose files, they work perfectly. :)

Oh you meant the archive? Of course! I've been making archives for years, I know how to proceed. I use "copy and paste", just to be sure.

Edit: on the other hand, I'm unable to remember what tool I used; what do you people use to make archive for Oblivion?

Edited by ladyonthemoon

For making an archive, I recently downloaded 7-zip. I did that because it's what the person was using in the guides I was following. They started repacking archives to be installed with Wrye Bash. They were simple archives though.  I am making changes to the DLC homes for my personal use so I will be deciding on a packaging form myself. 

Edited by Lissy

Just now, Lissy said:

For making an archive, I recently downloaded 7-zip. I did that because it's what the person was using in the guides I was following. They started repacking archives to be installed with Wrye Bash. They were simple archives though. 

7-zip doesn't make Bethesda games archive (bsa)..., as far as I know.

33 minutes ago, DarkRider said:

This tutorial might help as well

The link to TES4Files is broken. If you can edit the tutorial, you can change the address by this one: http://modsreloaded.com/tes4files   :)

Edit: I just used TES4Files; it created an archive and gave it a name that has nothing to do with my mod. The content seems correct so I'll change the name and test.

Test: it's working. :) I'm going to publish it alongside the loose files, in case people prefer the loose files.

Edited by ladyonthemoon
  • Upvote 1

I noticed with TES4Files that it picked the mod at the very top of my load order.  Everything was present, though, the file just had the wrong mod name.  I think the issues I had the first time I tried were mods installed incorrectly through MO..... it took me a few tries to figure out that you have to move all data to the top level (I ended up reverting to NMM per personal preference, less of a pain when modding, until I get a better handle on how MO works).  Might be why stuff was missed by TES4Files the first time I used it.

4 hours ago, garnet18 said:

TES4Files

I used it for huge Oblivion mods and works perfectly, every time. Also can pack lose files and have error report. I'm sorry that there is no TES5Files, The CK archiver is just creepy.

For Skyrim, do not use the CK to make your archives, use Archive.exe directly. It's very easy to use: http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Archive.exe ;)

Thanks again for the help, all!  I'm okay with leaving the files loose rather than trying to fight with the BSA.  Also I'm not sure if anyone saw this post before I moved it from CS Basics but I did find a solution to add music to a specific cell, via an activator and a simple script.  Only problem is when you leave the cell the music continues to play til the track is done, then the normal default music for Oblivion resumes as normal; I haven't found a way to fix this but it got the track I wanted working in the single cell without overwriting the default soundtrack.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/404490-streammusic-question/

The post is near the bottom of the page from KingGsterUK - click on show and use the second script in the post, not the first one he quotes.  Where it says ***75*** enter the length of the track in seconds, and make sure to remove all the ***

Edited by dolphin66th

On 5/19/2017 at 8:39 PM, garnet18 said:

TES4Files

I used it for huge Oblivion mods and works perfectly, every time. Also can pack lose files and have error report. I'm sorry that there is no TES5Files, The CK archiver is just creepy.

:lol: That's a great way to describe it.  I've been using BSAOpt to pack the files missed/not included by the Creation Kit.  For some reason I have issues with Archive.exe crashing whenever I try to save my changes.  I must be doing something wrong but I haven't really looked for a solution/tutorial to use it properly.  I can't remember if I double checked if I was running as administrator or not; Steam is installed in program files and I haven't bothered moving it.

Edited by dolphin66th