DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[sKY] Help Please! Creation Kit/NifSkope/Autodesk ds3 Max (Invisible Item in Creation Kit)

aleniskendra

So, I'm in the midst of a very exciting mod and after literally two days of almost non-stop frustration, I've created my models and managed to convert and import them into NifSkope. Basically, this will be sort of like a companion to Baby Mommas. A similar idea, but different on almost all levels in how it works and what it does. There will be wearable babies in backpacks and also babies in cribs as activators and custom sounds and stuff. I've got most of it all set up or at least planned out, except for one thing. (Oh and the baby in the backpack will look much better in the final version. That's just my test baby.)

Anyways... all looks right in NifSkope- textures appear and everything.

But when I import them into the CK, only part of the mesh is textured. (The custom part I created is invisible.) 

I'm pretty sure it's either a problem with the texture pathing OR a problem with how I'm exporting the nif from AutoDesk.

I checked my file paths and made sure that I'm auto-detecting game files and everything. 

I *do* know that for some reason I can't get my _n file to work (any normal I path in seems to make my mesh invisible in nifskope too) but I've imported stuff into the creation kit without them before and they still showed up just fine.

This is happening with two separate things I created- one is a static based off of The Witcher 3 Mega Resource Pack by LorSakyamuni and the other is an armor based off of the Fur Bag - Backpack by TreasureChest. 

I also used the open source program MakeHuman, AutoDesk 3ds Max 2017, and NifSkope.

Here are all my files: WarBabies.7z

It looks like this in NifSkope:

baby1Capture.thumb.JPG.6ef6fa7c9ed4220f86123ff8072bec47.JPG

It looks like this in CK:

baby3error.JPG.b2380f5b74fcec9158349e01c22f23ca.JPG

It looks like this in NifSkope:

baby2Capture.JPG.285453991bc4648c2b0e037ab67a6b12.JPG

It looks like this in CK:

baby4error.JPG.771276219090b05bbecde3b73a6c3bd2.JPG

Edited by aleniskendra

Firstly, can I just suggest maybe putting clothes on the baby. It might get you in trouble the way it is.

Anyway, about the issue you're having...

You need to have a normal map, so make sure one exists in the first place. The reason the normal map wasn't working is because you don't have the correct settings under "BSLightingShaderProperty". The particular offending setting in this case is "Alpha" which should be set to "1.0000" not "0.0000". There are other settings that you might want to change too. Copy the settings from a mesh that you know is working, like a vanilla mesh, for instance. For future reference, whenever you're having problems with the appearance of a mesh, it's almost always caused by some setting in "BSLightingShaderProperty".

N.B. I had a look at the original fur-backpack mod and the normal maps aren't working on most of that either. So don't copy the settings from that. XD

That should at least sort that problem out. There are a few other problems I can see, too. But just see if you can get that to work and I'll go over the other stuff later if you want.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RabidGears said:

Firstly, can I just suggest maybe putting clothes on the baby. It might get you in trouble the way it is.

I was going to have it a bit more securely tucked into the bag/sling... but really? I didn't even really think about that since it's not anatomically correct or gender specific. That will be my next puzzle then... trying to make clothing for it. MakeHuman only has very modern clothing options.

Anyway, about the issue you're having...

You need to have a normal map, so make sure one exists in the first place. The reason the normal map wasn't working is because you don't have the correct settings under "BSLightingShaderProperty". The particular offending setting in this case is "Alpha" which should be set to "1.0000" not "0.0000". There are other settings that you might want to change too. Copy the settings from a mesh that you know is working, like a vanilla mesh, for instance. For future reference, whenever you're having problems with the appearance of a mesh, it's almost always caused by some setting in "BSLightingShaderProperty".

OH! That was so helpful! Thanks! I had no idea. Now that I know that, I at least have a place to start looking for the problem. :-D 

Well, I just got the baby to show up in the crib mesh... but not the crib. *facepalm* Then, I tried just plopping the baby on the original (unaltered) crib in NifSkope and merging those files and that shows up just fine.

So... it's some problem with the crib I edited the blanket on. I'm going to have to look at it tomorrow. My eyes are too tired lol. I have been comparing files and tweaking for hours.

That said, I wanted to make sure I thanked you tonight, because you are really awesome and this is the second time you have helped me out! You rock!

N.B. I had a look at the original fur-backpack mod and the normal maps aren't working on most of that either. So don't copy the settings from that. XD

That should at least sort that problem out. There are a few other problems I can see, too. But just see if you can get that to work and I'll go over the other stuff later if you want.

15 hours ago, aleniskendra said:

Well, I just got the baby to show up in the crib mesh... but not the crib. *facepalm* Then, I tried just plopping the baby on the original (unaltered) crib in NifSkope and merging those files and that shows up just fine.

In the nif that you uploaded, the texture paths were wrong. They just need to point to the actual location of the textures.

It might help you to organise your files a bit better. Use your username and mod name like this:

meshes/aleniskendra/WarBabies/
textures/aleniskendra/WarBabies/

Put your meshes together in the meshes part and all textures together in the texture part. It'll also help avoid conflict with other mods in the future if you have it like this. But make sure to change the texture paths in your nifs.

BTW, what version of NifSkope are you using?

This baby is so cute.

Can you push him deeper into the bag, it seems to be falling every moment.

I found that the n_maps of the baby are strange, should they be blue?

aklightskinbaby1_n
brown_eye_n
tongue01_diffuse_n

The baby have a tons of poly. The eyes and the tongue are semi visible, if is a static mesh you can cut all parts that are hidden. Also you can cut the parts under the blanket and the part hidden in the bag. Don't feel bad about. :)

3 hours ago, RabidGears said:

In the nif that you uploaded, the texture paths were wrong. They just need to point to the actual location of the textures.

It might help you to organise your files a bit better. Use your username and mod name like this:

meshes/aleniskendra/WarBabies/
textures/aleniskendra/WarBabies/

Put your meshes together in the meshes part and all textures together in the texture part. It'll also help avoid conflict with other mods in the future if you have it like this. But make sure to change the texture paths in your nifs.

Will do. Organization isn't my strong point lol. You don't want to see my desktop, trust me. :-D

3 hours ago, RabidGears said:

BTW, what version of NifSkope are you using?

I'm apparently using NifSkope 2.0.0 PreAlpha 6

1 hour ago, garnet18 said:

This baby is so cute.

Can you push him deeper into the bag, it seems to be falling every moment.

I found that the n_maps of the baby are strange, should they be blue?

aklightskinbaby1_n
brown_eye_n
tongue01_diffuse_n

The baby have a tons of poly. The eyes and the tongue are semi visible, if is a static mesh you can cut all parts that are hidden. Also you can cut the parts under the blanket and the part hidden in the bag. Don't feel bad about. :)

Thanks! :-) I wanted a baby that would fit better with "The Kids Are Alright" mod and MakeHuman seems like a pretty good tool to do that. It's not perfect yet, but it at least looks like a human baby lol. (AND there are tools to make pointy ears and such so possibly mer babies in the future too!)

Yes, I will have it in the bag better. (I may totally end up redoing the bag altogether.) I stopped to try and get it in the creation kit while it was still in a rough form because I wanted to make sure it would work before I went much further.

I redid the n_maps last night and they work now. :-)

1 hour ago, garnet18 said:

Well...it shows up in CK's preview window now, but doesn't show up in Skyrim. I'm getting 2 BSLighting error messages in the CK though, so I'm guessing I'm still missing something. Oh well, more playing with it tomorrow. At least I'm making progress, right? :-)

16 hours ago, RabidGears said:

Could you upload the files you have now? I'll take a look at them and see if I can find the problem.

Thank you so much for your patience and help. I'm sorry for being so dense.

I really try to fix things myself instead of being one of those people that doesn't try to learn and just has everyone else fix their stuff, but I'm just not figuring this out. I just worked on it for like another 4 hours. Still no luck. I even tried using Chesko's backpack (from Campfire- since I know his stuff is all done right), changing the fields to match, and pasting them in to create a whole new file. That one doesn't show up at all. 

I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong and understood better what each field does and what the codes and numbers all mean. I can guess at some things, but most of it is greek to me, so I'm just groping in the dark, trying to change things I don't understand. 

Here's the whole mess (The file that I seemed to make the most progress with in babyinbagsleeping.nif That's the one that shows up in CK, but not the game.): AttemptsatWarBabies.7z

P.S. I haven't made final changes to the baby yet because I want to get the mesh showing up first and figure out what I'm doing wrong. :-) Don't worry- I do plan to take your advice and change the aesthetics before releasing anything officially.

Edited by aleniskendra

Don't worry about it. :) You should have seen some of the stuff I did when I was starting off. XD What's important is that you have the determination to stick with it and not not give up. Not everyone has that quality. NifSkope editing can be daunting at first but you'll pick it up bit by bit and eventually you'll be able to do this stuff your sleep.

6 hours ago, aleniskendra said:

Here's the whole mess (The file that I seemed to make the most progress with in babyinbagsleeping.nif That's the one that shows up in CK, but not the game.): AttemptsatWarBabies.7z

Something went wrong with that .7z archive. I can't open it.

7 hours ago, RabidGears said:

Don't worry about it. :) You should have seen some of the stuff I did when I was starting off. XD What's important is that you have the determination to stick with it and not not give up. Not everyone has that quality. NifSkope editing can be daunting at first but you'll pick it up bit by bit and eventually you'll be able to do this stuff your sleep.

Something went wrong with that .7z archive. I can't open it.

Thanks for the encouragement. Weird about the 7z... it opened fine for me. Well, here, I just did a plain zip file of it: AttemptsatWarBabies.zip

Hi AK,

I think I may have solved your problem. As seen below I have your cute little baby in game.

All that needs to be done is to remove the "SLSF1_Skinned" shader flag from each of the Shader Flag properties of your BSLightingShaderProperty nodes of your .nifs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B440BawWHJHZYXdmUFNPLUtKM0E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B440BawWHJHZbUtOUmdEeE1ScWM

Sorry I don't know how to post pictures yet on this forum. Or maybe I need more member permissions to do so. But you can see your baby there in-game :)

I hope this helps.

SammyPeer

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SammyPeer said:

Hi AK,

I think I may have solved your problem. As seen below I have your cute little baby in game.

All that needs to be done is to remove the "SLSF1_Skinned" shader flag from each of the Shader Flag properties of your BSLightingShaderProperty nodes of your .nifs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B440BawWHJHZYXdmUFNPLUtKM0E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B440BawWHJHZbUtOUmdEeE1ScWM

Sorry I don't know how to post pictures yet on this forum. Or maybe I need more member permissions to do so. But you can see your baby there in-game :)

I hope this helps.

SammyPeer

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY! Thank you! SO. MUCH! :-D

2 hours ago, SammyPeer said:

That's true for the ground object mesh but you need that set for the rigged mesh (wearable one).

Edited by RabidGears

@aleniskendra sorry to have thrown you a curveball earlier with the skin flag. I have tried a few other things (while working on my own stuff too) but to no avail. Please do let me know if you figure it out as I would love to be able to replicate the process with a backpack I have been thinking about.

Also, are you rigging the baby and/or the carrier?

10 hours ago, SammyPeer said:

@aleniskendra sorry to have thrown you a curveball earlier with the skin flag. I have tried a few other things (while working on my own stuff too) but to no avail. Please do let me know if you figure it out as I would love to be able to replicate the process with a backpack I have been thinking about.

Also, are you rigging the baby and/or the carrier?

I'm hoping to... I'm slowly creating while making my way through the NightasyTutorials. No problems about the skinflag thing. It's a mystery! That's partly why I started from scratch. I'm hoping I can figure out how it all comes together if I actually make it all myself.

P.S. This is where I'm at right now:

babyincarrier1.JPG.63aee8093b25d1ba4f794eed72e99d05.JPG