DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Scripting for an Alternate Start: Live Another Life Addon

dolphin66th

hi again, all,

My understanding of Papyrus is extremely limited.  A Steam User has asked me to make my Gray Quarter House mod a possible starting location for Live Another Life.  I followed the steps in Arthmoor's article (I've gotten Arthmoor's permission to make an addon), here, but I am really struggling with how to do the script.

He says:

" A TopicInfo script must be attached to this with the following code supplied:

ChargenQuest.SetAddonQuestStage(Int, Quest)

"Quest" must be a quest record from your mod.
"Int" must be an integer quest stage > 0 which is part of your quest.
"ChargenQuest" is the property for the ARTH_LAL_StartQuest script. If this is not properly set, your extension will not get processed."

He also says to add whatever code required to outfit the player.  I want miner's clothes, a small amount of gold, an iron mace, and to be able to set the ObjectReference for the starting spot in properties (I have placed an XMarkerHeading in my interior cell).

If anyone who knows what they're doing could give me a hand with how to set this all up I would be eternally grateful.  I can do basic things with Papyrus, like an activator that makes something happen (turning a light or a sound or a waterfall off and on) but beyond that it starts to be a little over my head, and I'm not ashamed to admit defeat, or that I need some help..... help? :please:

• 5 weeks later...

Still not solved, but I have bigger problems than I thought.  Apparently I cannot create or edit scripts at all, even after a completely clean install of the game and the CK.  I have tried searching on various forums, but most of the results I see say to run as admin (I am, both Steam and CK), and/or to extract the scripts.rar (I have... and re-extracted to downloads and pasted directly).  Still having issues.  Thoughts?  Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I should add Steam is installed in c:\, not in program files so given that both are being run as admin, there should be no permission issues at this point at all.  I'm confused.....:anyone:

Edited by dolphin66th

I'm currently struggling with LAL myself, so we can commiserate and maybe I can help you.

For your scripting issues, are you running Mod Organizer? Are you running CK through Mod Organizer?

So, for the coding part

ChargenQuest.SetAddonQuestStage(Int, Quest)

So, you know the part in LAL where you talk to the statue? You need to create a dialogue line with a line of dialogue for the statue. Make sure you use the condition GetIsId for the statue. Just go into one of the lines of dialogue in the Chargen quest to copy the property, easiest thing

In this new dialogue, you need to create a script, or papyrus fragment.

In the Topic Info box down at the bottom, you see Papyrus Yes?

Type in something like

;Script

Click accept and Ok and whatever to completely exit the dialogue

Go back into the dialogue and you should now see a script is there, starting most likely with TIF

Open that script. You need to add two properties

ARTH_LAL_StartQuest Property ChargenQuest Auto

Quest Property YourQuest Auto

(With me so far?)

Then the line ChargenQuest.SetAddonQuestStage(Int, Quest) should go right under where the ;Script line is. Int should be replaced with whatever the starting stage is for your quest. Quest should be replaced with YourQuest.

Now if what happens to me happens to you, it will not compile. Looking into it, I have not a single clue what the eff Beth did. But the trail of broken scripts leads right back to their front door.

Anyway, if it compiles, yay for you. Fill the properties for the script (You know how, yes?)

If it doesn't compile, then well I used a virtual sledgehammer to force mine to compile. I have no idea if it will make the mod fail in game. Not at a testing point yet. If it works,  and if you need it, I'll try and help you with it.

Now in YourQuest, at that starting stage you chose for Int, you will be putting your code for the clothes, the mace and where you want your character to be

You go to that stage and you see to the right a box for Papyrus code, yes?

You will need to right click on the Note part and add new. You probably know what that is

You need to again put something in that box like ;script. Doesn't matter what. That just makes CK generate a script.

Then you need to create and fill your properties for Miner's Clothes, Iron Mace, Gold (Hint: Gold is a MiscObject) and an ObjectReference Property for your Xmarker. And, I think, a Quest property for

Then you can add scripting to the fragment which should look a little like this

Game.GetPlayer().Moveto(Xmarker)
Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(IronMace)
Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(Money)
Game.GetPlayer().EquipItem(MinerClothes)

ARTHLALRumorsOfWarQuest.RegisterForSingleUpdate(0.25)

So... Maybe that helps?

TigerCubofPNW, thank you so much for your reply!  Sorry for taking a while to get back to you, I was having issues accessing the site and then I sorta forgot to come back and check the forum (oops).... I think this will be a huge help.  I discovered my problem may have been less with my script and more with my CK (turns out I could not edit or create scripts at all, not even a simple messagebox, but I found a fix that appears to work), though from the looks of things I was indeed setting it up wrong, so your help is very much appreciated.  At some point I will be trying to get back to working on Skyrim stuff, I've been taking a bit of a break for a while and trying to learn a little of Nifskope (it didn't end well.... numbers aren't my thing and the tutorial I was using was outdated anyway), and working on some other non-Skyrim projects, but I really need to get back to it.

No worries. I've got my plug in working, so I know that I'm using the LAL scripts properly. The big thing I'll be curious about is if that script compiles for you. Arthmoor ignored me when I asked on the main mod page, so I really have no idea how to make things work other than the hacky way I used.