DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Attempting custom worldspace creation, producing only worldspace desperation

KhrajiriiOfCorinthe

(I hope no one minds, but I'm xposting this here from nexus, cuz I need all the freakin' help I can get on this one.)

I'm following this tutorial, but have also tried every other tutorial in existence, with the same (or worse) results.

So I've got a heightmap all sculpted out. Everything's as it should be. I'm using L3DT for the job. The slopes are smooth and non-threatening. If I flatten it much more, it'll be a frictionless plane. The lower height is 117.04, and the upper height no more than 1000, as prescribed by the tutorial, and the horizontal scale is set as instructed too. The map is 3072x3072 over all (using the free pro-trial of l3dt to load a map so big). 

The RAW is exported according to instructions. 16-bit, correctly sized, not y-inverted, etc. TESAnnwyn flags are set also according to instructions, including doing the math for -x and -y about five times (and getting -48 every time). 

TESAnnwyn runs and produces the .esp, with no apparent problems (except a hideous number of over/underflows, and nothing I do to the map no matter how drastic changes their quantity). 

The resulting .esp opens in the CK...and that's about it. Absolutely nothing else about this process has succeeded. Nothing is working the way everything says it should. I can't find a single place online talking about anything like this.

One problem is not being able to get between wilderness cells except manually. I click on a cell to load, it loads that and the two above and below it in the list (ex. click 24, 20, get 24, 18-22). If I go past 24,22 it should automatically load 24,23. Instead, it just goes out of the cell into the void, as if it was an interior (it's not, and not set as one). I have to click it manually to get the next chunk of cells. Zooming out also shows only those couple cells, then void.

Another problem, the land is beyond messed up. Like cell tearing, but worse than any example I can find. Anything that's not flat plane is either twisted into random shapes, or turned into a completely two dimensional (!!) plane sticking perfectly straight up into the air for MILES. I keep smoothing and smoothing and smoothing and flattening and adjusting, but nothing I do changes or helps. tbh, I don't even see a difference whatsoever, even after cutting the vertical range in half and drawing the horizontal range out as far as the tutorial said it could do. I just can't even seem to affect anything, nevermind fix it. I'm starting to doubt this is even an example of cell tearing to begin with, but have no idea what else it could be.

Third problem(s) was found when I tried looking at the heightmap using CK's own viewer. Firstly, I dunno if maybe it's supposed to be like that, but the whole thing looks like nothing but a mess of perfectly square pixels of random colours, attempting to smooth it with CK's tools crashes the CK when trying to save the changes. (Since I can't see more than a couple cells at once, this is the only way to see the entire map.)

But even if I could save them, it wouldn't matter. Because, if the height editor preview is any indication, about half my map is being cropped off from around each side, despite TESAnwynn having been set to the right image size. Hell, on some attempts the stupid thing has even been cropped AND squashed slightly at the sides so it's not even square anymore.  I checked the RAW being output by L3DT in PS, the whole thing is there and intact. And once again, not a single thing I change about any part of the export or import process or original L3DT map seems to have ANY change on any part of the problem.

I'm completely lost, and have nowhere left to look for information, so any kind of idea would help (any screenshots or details requested will be eagerly supplied). I've literally done nothing but try to fix this for almost a week now. Literally, I wake up, I research and try different solutions until I'm too tired, sleep & repeat. And haven't made a single, solitary inch of progress on this problem. I'm frustrated, exhausted, and UTTERLY out of ideas; I've just beat my head against this wall so hard for so long every thought has turned to mush. I'm still 1000% devoted to this project, I just really, really need a hand getting over this seemingly insurmountable obstacle. 

1 hour ago, SammyPeer said:

I read your post, you seem quite dedicated and I admire your perseverance.

I don't know much about creating world spaces but, are you trying this in Skyrim Special edition CK or Oldrim CK and does that make a difference with the LD3T?

Thanks. I'm working with Skyrim32, since I'll be needing SKSE once this bit is done and I start building the actual meat of the project, and the current situation of SKSE64 afaik is basically "it's going to happen, but it'll happen when it happens and not before". Worldspace tutorials are all geared towards Skyrim32 too, which suggests that in Skyrim64 the process is either identical or is uncharted territory altogether as of yet. 

Someone over on Nexus suggested moving up to 4096, so I gave that a shot and spent yesterday playing around with that. The CK seems at least a little less angry about it, and around half the map now has minimal or no tearing. The other half still has weird twisty things and giant 2D spikes, appearing in largely flat places so I'm not sure what it is that could be warping the map at those points. If I'm lucky, adjusting out the last few gaps in the "good" half the map will make the half that's still angry settle down enough to be manageable. 

So now that thing where the CK won't load new cells as I move around and/or zoom out, so I can never really see what I'm doing (CK's heightmap overview shows that at least the CK sees the whole map now, so that's some progress too). Like, I'm suspecting that a lot of these twisty things are half-loaded hills that look wrong because the CK won't load the other half of said hill as I approach it. 

On a probably related note, I tried dropping a cocmarker on a likely-looking plateau and looking at it in-game, in an effort to actually see the whole map together for once. There wasn't any, that I could see. Just water, water everywhere. I thought maybe the water was up too high, and tried to lower it in the CK, but changing the setting either via Cell Window>Edit>Water Height or via World>Worldspaces>Water Height/Land Height fields, but it didn't seem to actually change anything :/ Maybe I'm picking the wrong numbers. idk.