DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Follower sleep mod help

taliessin

This is my first post in this community, i hope some of the experienced people here may help me with something that i think is a simple mod.

My idea is: When giving a command to a follower keeping pressed the "E" key and ordering him to sleep in a bed, he remain in the bed sleeping and wont get up for at least 7 hours in game.

The question is: What do i need to achieve this? i need to make package? i need to make a quest? or i need a simple script?.

I need to say that i am very newbie with the creation kit, i was reading the tutorials in the www.creationkit.com page about scripting and packages but i can't figure out how to do it, any help will be really appreciated.

Hi @taliessin and welcome to TES Alliance.

Unfortunately, the process you start when you press the "E" key is handled by the game engine which means that you cannot access the scripts in the CK to make changes. I think you would have more chances with that by actually using packages added to your follower. You should download followers mods that already exist, some of them let the followers use beds, and study how they were done.

I cannot help more on this, sorry. :)

Thank you for you answer, I will see if i can make it in other way. I was thinking: If i do it the same way that was made the quest of Boethia when you have to command your follower using the altar of sacrifice? Where is the script in the creation kit that controls that action?

8 hours ago, taliessin said:

Thank you for you answer, I will see if i can make it in other way. I was thinking: If i do it the same way that was made the quest of Boethia when you have to command your follower using the altar of sacrifice? Where is the script in the creation kit that controls that action?

You'll find it attached to the quest of Boethia. These quests id begin "DA...".

Oh the fun of making a character sleep....

Should be easy, but it isn't. There should be a script command, but there isn't.

To do what you want, LotM has a good start. You'll need a Package.

I would first try using the "Sleep" package template, and set the first criteria "Sleep Location" to "Package Start Location"

Then under Schedule, set the duration to 7

Now you need an Alias. Make an empty alias in a new quest for your mod. Add the Package you created.

Create a dialogue topic, with criteria GetInFaction PlayerFollowerFaction

Dialogue can be anything, obvs, like "Go to sleep" / "Sure"

attach a script to the quest that goes something like

Script MyScript Extends Quest

ReferenceAlias Property MySleepAlias Auto

Function SleepTime(Actor Follower)

MySleepAlias.ForceRefto(Follower)

RegisterforSingleUpdateGametime(7.0)

EndFunction

;;need to clear the alias so it can be used again

Event OnUpdateGametime()

MySleepAlias.Clear()

EndEvent

Now in your dialogue topic where you tell the character to sleep, you add a papyrus fragment script and put in

(GetOwningQuest() as MyScript).SleepTime(akSpeaker)

That's the Clif Notes version. Dunno if it will work or if it was enough to help. I'll answer any questions you have.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TigerCubofPNW said:

Oh the fun of making a character sleep....

Should be easy, but it isn't. There should be a script command, but there isn't.

To do what you want, LotM has a good start. You'll need a Package.

I would first try using the "Sleep" package template, and set the first criteria "Sleep Location" to "Package Start Location"

Then under Schedule, set the duration to 7

Now you need an Alias. Make an empty alias in a new quest for your mod. Add the Package you created.

Create a dialogue topic, with criteria GetInFaction PlayerFollowerFaction

Dialogue can be anything, obvs, like "Go to sleep" / "Sure"

attach a script to the quest that goes something like

Script MyScript Extends Quest

ReferenceAlias Property MySleepAlias Auto

Function SleepTime(Actor Follower)

MySleepAlias.ForceRefto(Follower)

RegisterforSingleUpdateGametime(7.0)

EndFunction

;;need to clear the alias so it can be used again

Event OnUpdateGametime()

MySleepAlias.Clear()

EndEvent

Now in your dialogue topic where you tell the character to sleep, you add a papyrus fragment script and put in

That's the Clif Notes version. Dunno if it will work or if it was enough to help. I'll answer any questions you have.

Thank you for your support. I want to make this mod compatible with custom followers, and also make it compatible with this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75579/? , i wonder if the package will work with custom followers and this sleeping bag mod. I will keep you informed of my progress.

I was trying to do all that you told me and i am not sure if a doing well so i need your feedback.

First: In the package i went to the object window, click on Package and then i created a new package named FollowerSleep. 

In the first tab called "Package" i've choosen the package template Sleep, and in the "Public Package Data" section, in Sleep Location i set it to "Near Package Start Location" with a radius of 1000, and that was all that i did in that tab.

59ace056395bc_packagetab.PNG.902164b86ad3882494e3d44cdef12863.PNG

And in the Schedule tab i only changed the duration to 7 hours

59ace27351dbb_scheduletab.PNG.42758e662742a4568f1157657d16fb84.PNG

And that was all that i did with the package.

Second: I did a New Quest called FGB, and in the quest data section i fill the textbox of the quest name and set the priority to 60, that say in the tutorial i dunno why

59ace3cdc525a_questdata.thumb.PNG.3f0e8c2440aba66c47ac7ea6a79c236d.PNG

In Quest Aliases i created a new reference alias and named it SleepAlias and added the package made before and nothing else

59ace4fc3aac4_referencealias.thumb.PNG.21f013a079484bb05fd06b9490ef34eb.PNG

In the Dialogue Views section i created a branch with the condition you told me

59ace62eabe37_topicinfo.PNG.c0d96bcf1f1e6d27cb446dda665dfca6.PNG

Now here is the problem: How can i attach a script to a quest? Here?

59ace72b5179e_questscripts.PNG.7fe1d32969aaaac7debd3198b04997b9.PNG

The fact is: Everytime i press the add button to add a script the Creation kit crashes. I downloaded Sublime Text 3 with the compiler plugin to make the scripts, so i have compiled the script you gave me, but i don't know how to attach it.

So i am stuck at the moment, i hope you can give me some light to continue my work.

Looks like you're off to a good start. And Sublime is an awesome script editor.

Only mistake I saw was in the SleepAlias. You need to check the box "optional" or this won't work.

AFAIK, you must use CK to attach scripts. If CK is crashing when you add scripts, something is wonky. Are you running CK through Mod Organizer?

Thank you for your feedback.

No, I'm running Creation Kit without Mod Organizer, i run it stand alone. I'll search if there is a issue with the config ini or something else.

EDIT: I fixed the crash thanks to this post . I successfully added the script to the quest here:

59ae0bdc3db41_addscript.PNG.2134e172284de77a996a1f5b0f25b030.PNG

And checked the optional check box in the alias

59ae0cc879a0c_checkedbox.PNG.34c891d639ec578ff427fd004c245933.PNG

Now i have a question. I do not get where to add this line:

In wich of these text area? Begin? End? or in Script name?

59ae0f162dc36_wherescripts.PNG.86eedd9f0b239893ddeb162533fd8d1e.PNG

I'll stay alert to your reply

Edited by taliessin
fix

One thing first, you need to fill your script property

Over in the scripts tab (first image of your latest post) you need to select your script and then click on Properties

Your ReferenceAlias Property should show up in the screen that comes up.  I believe the button you need next is Edit, going off memory. But I know it's the button in the upper right of the Properties window you're looking at. You should have two dropdown options. The first should auto fill with your FGB  quest. Click on the second and presumably the only option you will see is your SleepAlias. Select it, click ok and you're done there.

In wich of these text area? Begin? End? or in Script name?

End. FYI, you can't actually add it to the Script Name.

Good luck! If it doesn't work, let me know what happened and we can troubleshoot. As I said in the beginning, it's absurd how difficult it can be to get an NPC to sleep, so there could be bumps in the road ahead.

Ok i did the things you point me: First i filled my script, i did it right?

59af73807f962_filledscript.PNG.d44bb780d06dc0e27a81bacc6497aa86.PNG

Second i added the script line i was missing

59af74e2eb5a0_endscript.PNG.2b991b22a65cd80bd62c6da800ed10d7.PNG

I saved my plugin, run LOOT and opened Skyrim. The first time did not work, the dialogue does not show up in my follower, but the second time i opened the game, the dialogue shows up in my follower.

59af7687d08b7_followermodtest.thumb.png.60904a7087e418ab34c553c35b7a0cbc.png

The fact is, isn't working. My follower ignored completely the bed near her. I did something wrong? i'll wait for your response.

Oh, right. For the dialogue you also need to create the SEQ file. No big deal on that. A quick Google search and you should find a bazillion tutorials on that.

The fact is, isn't working. My follower ignored completely the bed near her. I did something wrong? i'll wait for your response.

No,  near as I can tell, you did everything correct. I warned you this Sleep thing is stupidly difficult. In my fights with it, I've had NPCs sleep standing up! Seriously! It's one of those things that just defies logic. It takes some trial and error. If you're willing to stick with me, I'll try and help you figure out what's going on.

So, first thing I would try is to make two changes

In the Package, change it from "Package Start Location" to "Self". And bump the radius up to 2048.  I hope with this Skyrim will be able to start the package more reliably and with the radius it will be able to find a bed somewhere. NOTE: The NPC will not be able to sleep in "Owned" beds. If the only beds in the radius are "Owned" then the package will fail

In the quest, set the Priority to 80 -- the reason for this is that packages (I believe) are prioritized based in part on the Priority setting of the quest. It's possible the Follower Quest is overruling your own AI package. Generally, it's best to keep he Priority at around 60, but in some cases going to 80 or 90 is required.

I did what you told me. First i created the SEQ file using Tes5edit, this is the most easier method i found

59b0c0b02572f_creatingseqfile.jpg.1054aa83c62ed6473c14842487c034ed.jpg

Second: I changed the package to Near self and set the radius to 2048 as you told me

59b0c139475d7_packagefix.PNG.5032335b7ee8a66ea74bbaf874e0cd53.PNG

And finally i adjusted the quest priority to 80

59b0c1db1c88a_setpriority.PNG.e1a28b387d2ec300219979dd9dba9ba1.PNG

The results were: This time i picked Lidia as my follower, the dialogue dissapears from Mrissi i dunno why. I rented a bed in the bannered mare in Whiterun and i told to Lidia "Time to sleep", she ignored the bed near her as Mrissi did before and she starts sandboxing near the bed without sleep.

59b0c3174ada9_secondtestfail.thumb.jpg.a439da1f641f660c2f45178642624fc0.jpg

I observed also when i activate my mod, the followers become unresponsive and i can't dismiss them or sometimes they stop following me during the duration of the package.

I'll stay alert to your suggestions.

Okay, I'm pretty sure the beds in the inns are considered "owned". Like, your character cannot use the bed unless you rent it. I'm not sure what mechanics Skyrim uses to make the bed temporarily usable by the player, but my guess is it's something stupid.

You need to test this in a player home, I think. (I'm going off memory here, don't have access to Skyrim or CK right now). Ideally, I would test it in a fully built Hearthfires home, but if that's not feasible (You don't have the home built or the resources or time to build it) you could also use some mod-created user home like the Underground Bathhouse.

Or, if you don't want to do that, you can add a bed to some inn somewhere using the CK and use that for testing.

Basically, we need to eliminate the "Owned Bed" scenario as a possible reason before we can do any other diagnostics.

ETA: Oh, if you have spoken to Balgruuf about the dragons, the Whiterun guards have gone to Riverwood and there are sleeping bags just outside the city in their camp that I know aren't owned.

Edited by TigerCubofPNW

Good news.

This time i picked jordis as my follower, i brough her to the Heljarchen Hall and activated my mod and she go to sleep successfully

59b5fdfc00ff2_modworking.thumb.png.f8a38e7b41608bfa6f7bfe9db201fe95.png

Now i have questions. Why the dialogue disappear and not show up anymore from my custom follower mrissi? Is seems everytime i activate my mod it will not work for a second time... and besides, what we can do about the beds ignored by the followers? Is there a way to make them working with this mod? i want to make it work with any bed that also my character can use.

PD: After the end of the package, my follower stop following me and ignored completely my orders. I can't even dismiss her.

Edited by taliessin
pd

well, first off, congrats to us for getting this to work

Now we just have to work out the bugs

Why the dialogue disappear and not show up anymore from my custom follower mrissi?

I'm not sure. If she is in the PlayerFollowerFaction, which she should be if recruited with the normal follower recruit dialogue, then the sleep dialogue absolutely should work. However, sometimes introducing mods mid gameplay can make Skyrim behave oddly

what we can do about the beds ignored by the followers?

I am reasonably sure  I can find an answer to that, but I'll need to get into CK. So you'll need to give me a few days.

After the end of the package, my follower stop following me and ignored completely my orders. I can't even dismiss her.

Hmmm... Not following could and probably does mean the alias isn't getting voided as it should be. Did you wait the full 7 hours they are supposed to sleep? That's when the package is supposed to be voided.

You say they ignore your orders. Can you explain? Does the normal follower dialogue come up? Like "I need you to do something" and "It's time we part ways"? And if you click on those, nothing happens. Like, when you dismiss them, they are still a follower (which you can confirm by speaking to them and seeing if the follower dialogue comes up).

I'm not sure. If she is in the PlayerFollowerFaction, which she should be if recruited with the normal follower recruit dialogue, then the sleep dialogue absolutely should work. However, sometimes introducing mods mid gameplay can make Skyrim behave oddly

I think you are right, In the mod page, in nexus, says: "does not affect follower count." . Then how we can add her faction to our mod? Why the dialogue show up the first time?

8 hours ago, TigerCubofPNW said:

Did you wait the full 7 hours they are supposed to sleep?

Yes. What did i do: 

• First, i used the dialogue option added by our mod and the follower went to sleep
  • Second, with my character i picked a bed and went to sleep for 7 hours too
  • Then when i went to see my follower again she was get up and sandboxing near the bed forever
8 hours ago, TigerCubofPNW said:

You say they ignore your orders. Can you explain? Does the normal follower dialogue come up? Like "I need you to do something" and "It's time we part ways"? And if you click on those, nothing happens. Like, when you dismiss them, they are still a follower (which you can confirm by speaking to them and seeing if the follower dialogue comes up)

Yes, the normal follower dialogue come up, i could issue a command and open her inventory, but when i click "It's time we part ways" she does not returned to my house in Solitude, wich is supposed she should return, keep sandboxing near the bed and not follow me. Though the message "your follower leaves your service" appeared in the upper left corner of the screen...

Believe it or not, this is all good news. It all tracks very well and points directly to the alias not voiding the way it should.

Here is a quick way to confirm my theory

That script I had you create? In the end part:

Event OnUpdateGametime()

MySleepAlias.Clear()

EndEvent 

Add this line:

Debug.Messagebox("Alias Cleared") so the code now reads:

Event OnUpdateGametime()

MySleepAlias.Clear()

Debug.Messagebox("Alias Cleared")

EndEvent 

What this will do is, after the end of the 7 hours of gametime, the debug message should appear. If it does NOT appear than the Event isn't firing, and we'll deal with that. If it DOES appear, well... I'll think that over.

I think you are right, In the mod page, in nexus, says: "does not affect follower count." . Then how we can add her faction to our mod? Why the dialogue show up the first time?

So, this is someone else's custom follower mod? Ok. Do you recruit this follower with the normal "Follow Me I need your help" dialogue?

Are you trying to use this sleep mod with a multiple follower mod?

The fact that the "go to sleep"dialogue did come up once but failed to come up afterwards indicates to me that either there is a load order issue in your set up or, as I mentioned, Skyrim is throwing a fit about adding mods to a current playthrough. That's my best guess, since the dialogue only has one condition and this custom follower satisfied that condition at least once

Ok, this is weird and silly... i did the things that you point me. First i added the debug dialogue box to the script and compiled it again:

59ba15c7e2404_changedscript.PNG.4536c99e25135485b4c2fa0d19b80ecb.PNG

Second: I added the script again in my quest in the Creation Kit and fill the property just in case:

59ba16e7e375b_refilledalias.PNG.1074d5abb2f278c260ed73169767fcb5.PNG

Now the results were totally diferent i dunno why. I picked this time Brelyna Maryon from the winterhold college and the mod work as expected:

59ba1814e6217_brelynasleeping.thumb.png.4cab84eda686c491cf7ad36d6d714abf.png

The unique question i have here, why do always my follower prefer to sleep in the small beds than the double beds with the green blanket?.

Then i go to sleep in the other bed for 7 hours in game and the debug window show up as expected:

59ba193238cc2_aliascleared.thumb.png.964aa61c2175e6695a4302e56b63fe13.png

After the alias was cleared Brelyna acted like a normal follower, she continued to following me with no issues.

Then i tested it with Serana but the things went not so well as with Brelyna, simply the dialogue not come up:

59ba1b2f30e09_seranafail.thumb.png.586f39ab47ae9d8f776509ee6ed89362.png

I've already cleared the Dawnguard main line quest and cured Serana from her vampirism, i think she should act as a normal follower now, i don't know why not work.

Afterwards, i tested it with the Riften housecarl Iona and worked so much well as with Brelyna:

59ba1cd20e19d_ionasleeping.thumb.png.3b98b17f9092834c618d750e6aaf3510.png

Now regarding Mrissi... This follower have a complete story quest before you can recruit her, is not like a normal follower with the dialogue "Follow Me I need your help" here is the walkthrough to give you an idea: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dFGRVhggiR-ye6iCrSKOirMicedCRbwx6yFiULxbmUA/edit

22 hours ago, TigerCubofPNW said:

Are you trying to use this sleep mod with a multiple follower mod?

No, i do not have any multiple follower mod: AFT, EFT nor UFO

22 hours ago, TigerCubofPNW said:

The fact that the "go to sleep"dialogue did come up once but failed to come up afterwards indicates to me that either there is a load order issue in your set up or, as I mentioned, Skyrim is throwing a fit about adding mods to a current playthrough. That's my best guess, since the dialogue only has one condition and this custom follower satisfied that condition at least once

Could it be, but the most strange thing now that is not working with Serana wich is follower from the game. Strangely Mrissi behaves like Serana when she is idle... could it be a coincidence? I have to mention that i also tested it with the rest of the followers in the Dawnguard fortress and the dialogue YES comes up.

Okay, so, it sounds like the mod is working now. Just need to account for some variations

First up, a couple housekeeping things

One, to shut that debug message off, just put a ; in front of it like this

;Debug.Messagebox("Alias Cleared")

That allows you to keep the debug message for future use if needed but makes it not appear

Second thing, and this is optional, I'd add a condition to the "Go to sleep dialogue"

GetIsAliasRef SleepAlias == 0

That way, the follower cannot be told to sleep again until the sleep cycle has been completed. Like I said, Optional

Now on to fixes:

The unique question i have here, why do always my follower prefer to sleep in the small beds than the double beds with the green blanket?.

This again comes to PlayerBedOwnership. But I have a very simple solution to that. Go into your SleepAlias, go down to the lower left where you see Factions. Add PlayerBedOwnership to it. That should (I think) let the Sleeper sleep in any bed owned (or rented) by the player.

Now, for the followers and the dialogue not coming up. I have another idea. But I'm a little dubious about it.

The dialogue condition GetInFaction PlayerFollowerFaction -- change it to GetInFaction CurrentFollowerFaction

Now, I'm not entirely sure how effective this condition will be, but it is the condition Skyrim uses for the "I need you to do something" dialogue. So the advantage of using it is, if the "I need you to do something" dialogue comes up, then the "Go to sleep" dialogue bloody well should too.

My concern is that ALL followers are IN the CurrentFollowerFaction, just at rank -1. I hope that rank -1 translates in the Skyrim engine as not in the faction, but I dunno. However this is the quickest way I know of to eliminate this issue. Make the change, test it out, see how things go.

Well, I did some of the things you told me:

First i did the optional thing for dialogue to not show up while the alias isn't cleared

59bb663bc882f_sleepcondition.PNG.909bb515e7d91132871a7894ae7c2d44.PNG

Then i tried the fixes. I added the bed faction in the alias:

59bb6719bdf5d_playerbedowned.PNG.6c7b55e2a5aec0d03b1ef0b6168bdd7a.PNG

And changed the dialogue condition

59bb677621cba_currentfollowerfaction.PNG.5070d1c012289763f3f6c1f59627d936.PNG

The results where: 

The dialogue not comes up while the package was active, that works good.

This time i picked Erik the slayer as my follower, rented a bed in Markath inn to see if the bed faction thing works good but when i asked my follower to sleep...

59bb68c34ff27_askeriktosleep.thumb.png.4ac638cd3505f0d42efbc6b188960bd2.png

He ignored the bed behind him and went to sandboxing to other place

59bb6935ae73a_eriksleepfail.thumb.png.bd1f118fb6c34484049feceb7d679551.png

Even i tried to place Erik near the bed using the "i need you to do something" dialogue and activate my mod but the results were the same.

After that, i went to see Serana to the fort Dawnguard to see if the dialogue come up...

59bb6ab1ba4be_seranadialoguefail.thumb.png.98f7340da119752909dd67d9aac5d5f0.png

But doesn't come up :(

Now, I'm not entirely sure how effective this condition will be, but it is the condition Skyrim uses for the "I need you to do something" dialogue. So the advantage of using it is, if the "I need you to do something" dialogue comes up, then the "Go to sleep" dialogue bloody well should too.

Have you noticed that Serana doesn't have the dialogue "I need you to do something"? (Mrissi doesn't have it too).

I'm only using a texture mod in Serana, i have nothing interfering with her behavior. Perhaps, is there not a way to make this mod working with this follower and customs like Mrissi?

Edited by taliessin

Skyrim really can be exhausting sometimes.

So, the fix I gave you will work for the house beds. To make it work on beds the player rents will be complicated because this is Skyrim and Bethesda frequently does things which make modding a PITA.

The only way I know to make this work in a way that makes some sort of sense is you will need to create your own room rental dialogue specific for renting rooms for your followers.

"I'd like to rent a room for my friend here"

With a couple of tiny little script things and whatever. Ownership is hardcoded in Skyrim, beyond our reach. Renting a room in the vanilla game makes the bed temporarily owned by the player (as opposed to the playerfaction). There's no way I can think of to bypass Skyrim's code and let someone use an object owned by the player. So we have to make a different dialogue line. You could even make it

"I'd like to rent a room for me and my friend here" and set it up so the player or the NPC can use the bed.

As for Serana... I've only ever played Dawnguard through once so I have very little memory of how she functions. I glanced at her in CK and the DG quest. You're right, she's not in the regular follower factions because, as I said, Bethesda likes to just screw with people.

I honestly just don't have the time it will take to sift through all her quests and dialogue to figure out what BS way Bethesda went about making her a follower.

But there is a way to cover her and all contingencies. Actually, a couple ways. One, use a spell to put whoever you want into a faction of your choosing. Two, have a dialogue line like "I need to put you in a faction" (or something).

The spell and dialogue can then either force the NPC into one (or both) of the CurrentFollowerFaction and PlayerFollowerFaction OR you can make your own faction.

1) Using the standard factions: Pros -- quick and dirty. Cons -- will then bring up dialogue for these followers that for whatever reason the creators did not intend, resulting in I don't know what

2) Creating your own faction: Pros -- clean, allows you to condition things without worrying about Bethesda landmines. Cons -- none really, just more stuff added to your mod.

Still have no earthly idea why the dialogue came up once but never again

All of these things I've outlined are far from overly complex. The code isn't any more advanced than the first script I gave you. It's just up to you how big you want your mod to be.

I was investigating about how could i fix the rented beds problem and This mod works like a charm; it changes the bed factions and place more beds in inns to make the game more immersive, so if i upload this mod after finish it i will recomend this mod so badly.

As for Serana and the customs followers factions i was investigating about the function IsPlayerTeammate - Actor. I think if i use this function, i could make the dialogue to show up. But the question is: How? It seems is not available as dialogue condition in the Creation kit and want to add as a condition, so the dialogue always will show up in any follower.

Capture.PNG.faf53e446dae3ebf42de07dd53a9479b.PNG

To my knowledge, PlayerTeammate is non-functional, not usable.

Like I said, covering these extra followers isn't impossible, it's just how "clean" you wanted it to be. One quick and dirty option would be to use the condition "GetRelationshipRank"  and have it > 0

This should cover all followers, since all followers should be friends with you in order to become followers. Hopefully, that much at least is consistent.

The downside of this, it takes away the "Follower" condition. That is, you could then use it to tell anyone your character is friends with to go to sleep.

So, good example. Because very easy, very not clean.

Complexity can go all the way up to a script that checks for these follower mods on GameLoad and auto adds them to the faction of your choosing. That's more advanced scripting, but I can show it to you. Very clean, not very easy, and it also means only those follower mods you specifically include would then be covered.