DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Class #1 - The Basics of Oblivion Scripts

WillieSea

I loved this tutorial - and I found an interesting use for it in-game: tombstone epitaphs.

In my Ronin mod, I have several "catacomb" style dungeons in different styles. Player enters catacombs and discovers basically what you'd expect to find: a variety of larger private crypts, some smaller single crypts, some wall to wall crypts (like those under the city of Rome), and so one. For my crypt markers, I'm using resized and carefully placed tombstones - but I've made them into "activators". The player mouses over them and reads epitaphs.

Sounds pretty basic but it adds a nice touch of realism to the mod.

Thanks for taking the time to teach this.

~ Dani ~ :ouch:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, shoot. I tried to attach this to an already existing (custom) container, but it didn't work. Is it because it's a container and already has a messagebox, or is it because it was already placed into the world before I attached the script?

Edit: Ack! Now I can't add anything new; it shows up in the CS, but not in-game. I've tried adding a bunch of different items (bedroll, waterfall, activators, and containers) with and without my script attached. I've tried loading my oldest save. I've tried shutting down the CS and turning it back on. Yet, nothing seems to help. What's going on? Here's a screenshot of what my script looks like.

Edited by UmTheMuse

If the container is a persistant reference and its in your save game, then you cannot change it with a mod. (under most circumstances)

Just make a new button object and attach your script to it as the tutorial points out.

It sounds like your mod is not loading. If it has a severe error, it may not load.

Just create a new mod and try again. You can copy your script to notepad first if you wish.

I tried putting the script on the activator, just like I showed in the screenshot. The mod loaded for sure, because the house is part of the mod.

The only thing I can think of is that I'd botched my installation of OBSE v. 20 somehow. I think I'm using 18 even though the pieces for v 20 are on the same level as Oblivion. It's kind of a stretch, but that's all I can think of.

Unless there's a mistake in syntax? Does capitalization matter?

Why do you suggest writing the script in WordPad first?

UPDATE: I tried the script in a completely new mod and it worked fine. Dunno what's going on, but it's probably a good idea to start afresh, anyway.

Edited by UmTheMuse

• 2 weeks later...

Are we allowed to do classes in any order or go through more than one class at the same time? My husband has been eyeing the internet bill as an expendable item lately, I'd sure like to learn as much as I can before he snips the internet cable in two with his gardening shears...

If we can, I'd like to submit this as my first script :

I tried the script on the (new form) statue, then tried that one that was below the lesson in the comments for the "Playsound." This was a ton of fun, and even though I'd read both the "MyFirstScript" 1 & 2 before - it was so much easier to understand in this lesson! The pictures help tremendously, and you gave me a huge clue as to why two of my previous scripts have not behaved properly - I didn't attach them to an activator, just an item.

Is there a way to make any item an "Activator" if it already exists? Can you just click on adding collision to (any item) so a script will work on it?

Edited by mALX

I setup the classes so you can take them in any order, 'if' you already know how to script.

The later script classes are really just specialized classes that show you how to do a certain thing, like make a spell book, or a working clock.

You can make any NIF file into an activator object, as long as the NIF file has collision on it. To be able to activate the object it must be interactable by the player.

You can use existing activator objects by just giving them a new name.

I setup the classes so you can take them in any order, 'if' you already know how to script.

The later script classes are really just specialized classes that show you how to do a certain thing, like make a spell book, or a working clock.

You can make any NIF file into an activator object, as long as the NIF file has collision on it. To be able to activate the object it must be interactable by the player.

You can use existing activator objects by just giving them a new name.

I don't know anything at all about scripting, and trying to learn off the CS WIKI has been way over my head. Before this I just found scripts from quests in the game that did what I needed mine to do (and changed around a few things like the names and places (or items) to suit my needs). The CS usually tells me if I have an error in there and where it is, or I'd never know. Some of the scripts I've made that way have worked as I hoped, but some haven't.

Your first lesson showed me why the last two I made didn't work - that was a huge help! I so appreciate these classes!

Edited by mALX

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Something has happened to the formatting in this lesson, but I was able to follow the steps and in the end, it works. Also, the requirements for this lessons appear to differ from the others in that there are no screenshots requested and no need to provide proof of completion I believe, so I'm moving on to the next one. Thank you!

Edited by ASnakeNeverDies
Corrections.
  • Upvote 1