DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Guest Workshop: Installing OBSE

StryderOfOblivion

OBSE is a powerful modders tool. However it can be quite complicated.

What it does: OBSE gives many powerful script commands to the CS, and allows Oblivion to understand the command and act appropriately. Keep in mind that OBSE is optional, many mods do not use it in fact, but I highly recommend it, even if you aren't planning on being a scripter, the ability for Oblivion to understand the powerful new commands that can be found in many powerful mods.

First, install OBSE

http://obse.silverlock.org/

The download includes a readme with installation instructions, but I will give a brief overview.

Open the readme, and extract all the files it lists to the Oblivion directory. Make sure you do not extract them to the Data directory. One of the files it tells you to extract is the obse_loader. This starts up Oblivion normally, except now it can use scripts that are used in many of the best MODS.

Now we need to create a shortcut to the OBSE loader. This can be done by right-clicking the icon and selecting 'create shortcut'. An identical file should appear. Right click the new file and select properties. In the General Tab, you can change the name of the shortcut to whatever you want. For instance, Oblivion, or OBSE Oblivion. Now click on the 'shortcut' tab. On the very bottom should be a link that says 'Change Icon.' Click this, and navigate your way to the Oblivion directory. Once there, find and select 'Oblivion Launcher' then choose the Icon you wish to use.

Next, move the shortcut to your desktop, and move the standard Oblivion one back to your Oblivion directory, or you could simply delete it.

Congratulations! You have successfully installed OBSE! Simply double-click the shortcut to play!

Now to install the OBSE Construction Set. Right-Click the CS shortcut, and then choose the shortcut tab. Delete everything after the word 'Oblivion/' and then type in the following.

obse_loader.exe -editor

Be sure to include the quotation mark. Now you're finished.

If you don't already have Oblivion Mod Manager, walk on over to Tesnexus and download it. With OBMM you can change your load order, and use mods that are compressed in an OMOD format.

{Edited By DarkRider} For Easy Launching of OBSE use the OBSE Launcher

• 5 months later...

I realize I'm adding this rather late in this topic, to say the least :scary: but it's helpful to note that if you're using OBMM to manage your modlists, the built-in launcher will also detect whether you have OBSE installed, and launch your game appropriately. I 've been using OBSE for ages, and launching my game through OBMM without any fuss or errors.

I've seen this question asked on the official forums many times, and figured that clarifying that here would not hurt.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm new here, but thanks to WhoGuru I found this thread and a solution to my problem. The only problem is getting it to work, and I tried posting this on bgsforums , but it didn't quite get answered due to how popular of a forum it is; everyone is posting constantly.

So that's why I'm posting here to figure out why I can't apply obse_loader.exe to my shortcut. OBSE is installed via /oblivion folder on my F: drive and so is my Construction Set. So I'm not sure why its not working. Maybe its something I'm doing, so here's a play by play. Just let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Desktop Right Click Shortcut to TES Construction Set Properties Shortcut Tab Target: "F:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksOblivionTESConstructionSet.exe" Change To "F:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksOblivionobse_loader.exe editor

Note: My "Start In:" reads as..."F:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksOblivion", not that I think that matters.

• 1 month later...
D`ya think this is something that would help me at this point...or maybe wait till I ge the CS down better?

You do NOT want to mess with OBSE until you have the basics down.

Modding with the CS= :bagged:

Modding with the CS and OBSE= :simba:

Learn to fight on your feet first, add the horse later! :yoda:

• 2 months later...

Okay,I loaded and installed OBSE.0017 and it starts the game fine but it takes me straight to the load screen. I cant access the Data files to set my plugins unless I use the original shortcut icon I left on my DT. Fixable?

Thats just the way OBSE hooks into Oblivion, rather than using the Launcher it hooks straight into the main Executable. The only thing to do is modifiy your data files then launch OB with OBSE.

Oh I was on about your plugins :blink:, using the launcher to do so :question:

Duh...sorry IS, I understand. I set up my pluggies first then launch. Say, in the instruction thread it mentions OBSEcs installation. Could you explain that. In the OBSE files there is,of course no mention of the CS. Does this version link there too, or another one just for that?

Duh...sorry IS, I understand. I set up my pluggies first then launch. Say, in the instruction thread it mentions OBSEcs installation. Could you explain that. In the OBSE files there is,of course no mention of the CS. Does this version link there too, or another one just for that?

OBSE is used for both CS and OB, it uses the same file, but there is some messing about needed to run it with the CS. Best thing you can do is get an OBSE launcher app, my app for example (I know shameful plug :rofl:)

OBSE Install

Extract the following files to your Oblivion Folder:

obse_1_2_416.dll
obse_editor_1_0.dll
obse_editor_1_2.dll
obse_loader[/code]

To run Oblivion with OBSE, run the obse_loader executable or create a shortcut for it.

To run the CS with OBSE, create a shortcut of the OBSE loader with the extension [b]-editor[/b], in the shortcut path that leads to the OBSE Loader.

Or as I have said, install it then get a dedicated app that can run it for you, OBSE Launcher, OBTK and OBMM can all launch it for you. That includes the CS as well.

OBSE is used for both CS and OB, it uses the same file, but there is some messing about needed to run it with the CS. Best thing you can do is get an OBSE launcher app, my app for example (I know shameful plug :D)

OBSE Install

Extract the following files to your Oblivion Folder:

obse_1_2_416.dll

obse_editor_1_0.dll

obse_editor_1_2.dll

obse_loader

To run Oblivion with OBSE, run the obse_loader executable or create a shortcut for it.

To run the CS with OBSE, create a shortcut of the OBSE loader with the extension -editor, in the shortcut path that leads to the OBSE Loader.

Or as I have said, install it then get a dedicated app that can run it for you, OBSE Launcher, OBTK and OBMM can all launch it for you. That includes the CS as well.

Yup, that`s what I did for OB. Where do I find your launcher, I like keeping things in-house if possible. :rofl: