DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Retexturing Gowns

DarkRider

Hail Modders,

I was curious if anyone was familiar with retexing vanilla gowns. I've been trying my hand at it a bit to add some variety to my cast of NPCs. In most cases, it's pretty straight forward, but on a couple, the texture for the lower half of the dress looks like an Alpha channel with a couple metal trinkets on it for the belt, but nothing to retex. Add it to the model though and it renders as it does in game; as a whole skirt.

Anybody know how this works so I can retex the lower half of these gowns?  :D

Thanks!

:P

@Vereta: Thanks Mate, I don't need anyone to do the work for me, just need to know how it's done. Most textures are an image you can alter, this one has  no image in GIMP, but does in NifSkope, so I'm trying to figure out how that works!

@Shadow: Not sure wht that means! LOL

@Vereta: Thanks Mate, I don't need anyone to do the work for me, just need to know how it's done. Most textures are an image you can alter, this one has  no image in GIMP, but does in NifSkope, so I'm trying to figure out how that works! @Shadow: Not sure wht that means! LOL

I want to make it happen, but the computer difference made me say nvrmnd..  aa_wall.gif

Seems to be some minor confusion about what I'm asking. It's hard to explain, so to clear things up a bit. I'm doing retexes on gowns (I know how to retex). When I open the texture for the lower part of the dress though, it looks like this:

DressTexture.jpg

But, add that same texture to the lower part of a model and it renders like this:

Dress03.jpg

So, if the blue fabric from the lower part of the dress does not appear in the texture, how do I alter its color?

That's bizarre everthing else is rendered invisivble via the alpha channel.  (The alpha channel is set to black or invisible for everything you're not seeing.)

There's no alpha property in the nif so it has no effect ingame (would be a pretty skimpy gown if it did).

Gimp is obviously not displaying the portion of the texture that's alpha'd out. (Has the alpha channel set to black)

You can probably configure that in your display settings, but since the data saved in the alpha channel is completely pointless you could also just fill your alpha channel with white.

WT

(Edited for clarity"

Umm did you read my post DarkRIder? I did explain what you're seeing along with 2 solutions.WT

Aye I saw it. Filling the Alpha Channel with white only made the gown render in matte white. I tried toggling some display settings but nothing had an effect on the lower part of the dress appearing. Thanks though, Mate.

Aye I saw it. Filling the Alpha Channel with white only made the gown render in matte white. I tried toggling some display settings but nothing had an effect on the lower part of the dress appearing. Thanks though, Mate.

Well that'l teach me for being a smarta** and asuming I'd solved the problem without verification. It "Should" be imposible for filling the alpha channel to show up white on the model, is there any chance you filled the RGB channels by acident?

If you still want to play around with this would you mind opening the original file in another program, just something like Irfanview or any viewer capable of reading dds. I just want to see if your texture file is somehow corrupted, or it's how GIMP is displaying it.

Will Gimp open Photoshop PSDs?

WT

is there any chance you filled the RGB channels by acident?

Aye a good chance. Altering the alpha channel is difficult in GIMP, I haven't mastered it yet, so it's totally possible I added to the RGB channels. I'll take another look at it.

[EDIT] Aye! On the money, Wind Mate! I was able to figure out how to isolate the Alpha. I added white to it, which came up black, but when I added the other channels back, the skirt rendered properly! Must be the way GIMP is reading that file! Cheers Mate! I owe ya another pint!  :pints:

• 7 years later...

Is there someone that can give pointers to graphics editing?

I have GIMP, Irfanview, Nifscope, and at leat 3 other graphics programs.

I just need to know what people will encounter the most.  I saw Alpha channel mentioned and I

don't know what that is.

So for instance if I ask you what is a car, you could tell me simple things like what components

a car would have (windshield, tires, gas tank, etc) as opposed to telling me the science on how it

all works.

So with editing graphics, what are the components I need to know?

How many channels are used, are they only used for a specific function? NIF files have nodes

and I have a hard time figuring out why items are at certain nodes. 

I was trying to make carryable lanterns for Skryim.  Instead the npc drags the lantern from his butt.

I need to know the mechanics first to understand what I am dealing with.  Time is going by way too fast to

keep 'shot gunning' until I get something right.

Edited by Ashenfire

I have read some of the forums before but I felt everyone was already talking about topics out of my reach. 

I had forgotton about the classes.  I thought they were not available.  Thanks for reminding me.

I need to know what am I looking for in graphics design before I actually do a project.

Is there a pattern, a method, some terms or concepts that I need to know before I attempt a project?

I have not learned graphics, painting, drawing or any skill related.    I want to avoid reading topics that

already get to the 'meat and potatoes' of graphics.   First, I need to know what I am looking for.

I'm going over some other threads on the same page you mentioned, just in case.

Edited by Ashenfire

I had a hard time with graphics and did a lot of experimenting on the side before I took the Skyrim texture class. I learned more taking that class than I did on over a year of experimenting and trying on my own to figure things out. I highly recommend taking the class. There hasn't been much support lately due to the fact that the teacher has been working on the game project that rider is getting ready to release. One thing that might help is to look through each course where those that have completed the work have their work as a guide. I was the first to complete the class way back when.

• Upvote 1