DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The HELP! Thread

grond

[align=center]Welcome to the HELP! Thread

Here you can post any issue you have - in any field - and we'll attempt to lend aid as we can.

Remember, certain topics are off-limits, so if you're in doubt, PM a team member for guidance! [/align]

This thread is for me first!  I have a computer issue on which I need guidance.  

I got a virus some time ago called brastk.exe.  I beat the thing using CCleaner ( thanks DR! ) but unfortunately for me, when I cleaned the registry, I think I deleted some necessary files.  

Now my computer fails to load windows.  When I try, I get a blue screen that says

[align=center]"STOP c0000218  Unknown Hard Error

Unknown Hard Error"[/align]

--and then the system reboots.

I used System Restore and brought windows back up, but then I used Ccleaner again and cleaned the registry a second time.  Now System Restore freezes when I set a date to restore to.

But Safe Mode works well, and I'm using it to post this.

My specs:  

AMD  Athlon 64 6400 X2

2GB RAM

Windows XP SP 3

Wind, and any other guru, is there a way to fix this without re-installing Windows?

Help will be paid for with  bb_Guiness.gif

Sounds like you may have deleted the registry for some bit of hardware you have connected. I would start by removing any peripherals you have plugged in (printers, etc) and then restart and see if you get the same error. If you don't, reinstall the software for any hardware you unplugged and restart again, you should be golden then. If you still get the error, report back here!  :poke:

Good idea on the help thread, I may move this to the questions forum and sticky it there!  aa_biggrin.gif

The Capn's right. That error is almost invariably a corrupted registry hive. If DR's suggestions don't work you should also try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the menu you chose "Safe Mode with Networking" from. You can get there without a failed boot by pressing F8 repeatedly during startup if you didn't know. (very  slim chance)

If that fails I can walk you through restoring the original hives from windows install, but that will likely cause problems with programs you installed later. You can always reinstall any that give you issues though. We can also try just resotreing some of the old hives, Microsoft says never to do that but I have had it work before.

WT

The only peripheral is the printer.  I have a USB cordless mouse and keyboard, but I don't have ordinary wired versions of those two, so I cannot take them out.  I tried to uninstall and remove the printer, rebooted - still the error.

Also, Last Good Config doesn't work either - I've tried it a lot since Wednesday.  :poke:

I'll be gone all day tomorrow at work - 8am to 10pm.  Wind, if you're willing to layout some steps I could take, I'll give them a try ASAP.  I'm not the best at the command prompt, but my XP CD is in the CD drive right now.  I tried to use the recovery console, but I can't seem to log in to my drive as Administrator with the password I use at the, what, the GUI Welcome screen.

Try no password. That is the default.

The password on the recovery screen is NOT your logon password. It is something totally different. (If I remember XP right)

My opinion?

Its really best to just re-install the OS. Try it "without" a Hard Drive format first. You can usually re-install the OS without messing up your programs and stuff you have loaded. If your Disc has that option. There are so many versions, its impossible to keep track of them!

I can get an XP machine formatted, OS installed and drivers installed in about 2 hours. No problem.

If you format, make sure you have your important files copied somewhere else first. Email, pictures, etc..

Certainly worth a try, but a repair install probably won't help as it loads your old registry hives (why it doesn't mess with your installed programs). Just hit the house to dump candy and have to take the kids back out. I'll post some step by step instructions for the command prompt either late tonight or tomorrow if you wan't.

If you don't have programs that you no longer have the disks for, and you're cofortable installing windows then Willie's definitely right and a clean format and install is you're best bet. I reinstall my OS once a year just to keep things streamlined. As he said though make sure to backup anything important first. Let me know how you'd prefer to procede.

WT