DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Using Part of Someone Else's Mod in Your Own, with credit

Vince

I plan to release a mod shortly that has many new meshes and textures.  All together the new material represents many hundreds of hours of my time.  I really don't mind someone else using some of these elements in their mod as long as they give a brief credit in the Readme.  The question I have is about quantity.  For example, if someone wanted to include the privy, fine.  Or one of the stoves, fine.  But what if they incorporate the privy, stoves, oil lamps, fireplaces, house, pottery, vines, furniture, weapons, and more. Should there be a limit?  Maybe I worry too much, but I would like to hear other's views on this.

It's an interesting question. If you give permission in your readme you pretty much have to leave it open ended as to the quantity of what they use. Ask yourself this: Are you willing to police which parts of your mod are used in every mod that will make use of them in the next five years? And if they don't have to ask permission first (as in granting open permission in your readme) would you even know who is using what?

If you are concerned with how your resources are used, the best advice I could offer would be to require other modders to ask permission before using anything, then you will know what they intend to use and reserve the right to deny permission.  932.gif

My opinion only for when "I" release mods.

All my meshes (minimal changes mostly), textures and scripts are free to anyone that wants to use them. It is a lot less stress if I don't have to worry about what other people are doing with my work.

Its my opinion that if you start placing restrictions on your stuff, then why release it at all.

True WT, very true.

When I help someone, they can credit me if they like.

I am not really concerned about it anymore.

In my readme, I usually ask for credit on any of my stuff that is used. Other than that, I place no restrictions on my stuff. And I certainly am not going to police other peoples work.

I have also had several of my mods converted to French, German, Spanish and Japanese. Its a compliment.

When i release something, I put it out as free use but I must be told that its being used. This was I can crash down on those who dont tell me >.< cus im mean like that. lol

Also, when I make something for someone, i let them use it with the condition that it is free to use upon release of their mod.

As said, if your going to restrict, why release at all? The point of releasing is to share. If you were amking money off these things, THEN its more understandable to restrict.

The number of restrictions you place on the use of your mods is directly proportional to the amount of frustration you wish to experience. The more restrictions, the more time you will spend looking over your shoulder and getting upset about what other people are doing. I've been working in customer service for more than 10 years and I can state as a Law of Nature that 90% of the population will do just as they please and get away with as much as they can with zero regret--and, for many of them, zero awareness of what they are doing--though some are certainly more polite about it than others. It's just human nature. A good percentage of the population doesn't read things like readme-s and just assumes anything they like in an ambiguous haze of semi-consciousness because they 'heard it somewhere'. If you like to play policeman, then load your readme-s up with restrictions and let the games begin. Personally, I'd rather be modding than playing Modding Crime Scene Detective, but whatever floats your boat.

I learned very early in life not to care what other people think of me. Most of the people that judge you are of little worth themselves so I don't see why I should respect their opinions. As a corollary, I don't care what people do with the stuff I create. People who steal and take credit for other people's work are not worthy of respect or attention. Let them take credit for it. They can take the blame for it, too, if someone decides they don't like it or uncovers a bug. Let them try and fix it. Likely as not, they'll just find something else to steal instead. In any case, I like to think that by the time they've stolen something, I've come up with something better. Then all they are is an imitation of a second-rate me. Where's the danger in that? It's more pathetic than anything.

For me, it's all about learning how to do the things I want to do. All of my satisfaction is private and internal, and has very, very little to do with my impact on others. Sure, praise and respect are nice, but they're hollow and empty if you're not worthy of receiving them. And the only one who really knows the answer to that question is the little voice of conscience buried in the back of your head. All I care about is bringing my vision to life: let all the little ants scurry about however they like.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Vince, how come you don't have a WIPz thread for this mod of yours. I'm curious now!
Because in the middle of some cerebral funk I agreed to teach a modeling class.  So, when I have a little Oblivion time to myself, I'm busy putting the "Abandoned" in my Abandoned Mountain Shack.  What's worse is the Abandoned Mountain Shack is only part of a larger mod that I'm determined to get out before everyone's abandoned Oblivion.  Ok, one screen shot:
th_AbandonedShack.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot. It looks neat. I noticed you opted for the interior actually being in the exterior. That's cool.

I'm looking forward to the modeling class. I'm glad you're taking the time to teach us. I imagine you have a ton of different things to worry about too, what with you working for NASA.

abandon oblivion? yea right!!! there r like 50 awesome quest mods in work that im gonna have to play before i even think about it (or TES V comes out haha)

like, for example DBC (drark brotherhood chronicles)  :blush:

or the northlands trilogy

or middle earth role playing for oblivion

i could go on and on  :)