DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Winter 3D Modeling Class - Sign Up Now

Vince

We plan to offer a 3D modeling class, starting in a few weeks.  It will most likely be aimed toward the beginning 3D modeler.  If you think you might want to participate, please post, noting your current skill level, 3D modeling software (if any), and what you hope to learn.

If you are new to 3D modeling, drop by the Modeling Class forum and read the posts there.  They may give you a basic understanding of what you will need to learn and some of the free modeling software available.

I have done a little basic modeling, but nothing too complex. I started using Blender about 3 months ago, but it's one of several things I am trying to learn at the same time. I still have a lot of questions about basic things, so I'm looking forward to the class.

Be prepared: I like to ask lots of questions!  :bagged:

im pretty much self tought in modelling, might learn some stuff though this.PS: Its not winter here!
What modeling software do you use?  Can you use Blender?  
BTW, just cause it'll be summer for you in a month or two, I'll still be freezing my XXXX off--and that hurts!  From my point of view, the only purpose of winter is to make my thankful for spring.   aa_biggrin.gif

im pretty much self tought in modelling, might learn some stuff though this.PS: Its not winter here!
What modeling software do you use?  Can you use Blender?  BTW, just cause it'll be summer for you in a month or two, I'll still be freezing my XXXX off--and that hurts!  From my point of view, the only purpose of winter is to make my thankful for spring.   aa_biggrin.gif

yeah, im a high school student so blender is my only choice. i just read tutorials and asked questions to learn how to model, i can make weapons, armour and statics all from scatch, but not at an amazing quality like others. Also have'nt learn how to make custom havok, that tutorial was beyond me  :curse:

I wonder if I could learn anything... hmm...I almost have an itching to ask what modeling experience YOU have, lol... but im probably just too full of my myself, the likely case.

Anyhoo, been modeling with Blender for about a year and a half. But I sure don't know everything. Blender just does too much. I mostly only know everything i need to for Oblivion related things. Collision, animation, etc.

I'd like to join this class. I have blender 248.1 (latest version).

I make 3D Gemstones on an moderate and expert level, I can make 3d grass using Blender's Hair Particule System, I'm very familiar with using Transparency, Ray Mirror and Ray Transparency, I know how to add more than one material to a model through face assignment, I know how to UV Map my models, I know how use Blender's Textures to create my own works of art, etc. What I don't know how to do is make quality weapons from scratch. Would love to learn how. I'd say my level of knowledge of working in Blender is about 5/10 on a scale from one to ten.

So I'm ready to learn how to improve my modeling skills to create not just simple things but better works of art.

Here is a sample of what I can do so far in Blender:

th_MysticWaters.jpg

3D Texture Mystic Waters

th_Dreamland.jpg

3D Texture Dreamland

th_WhitePearl-1.jpg

3D Gemstone Pearl (Reflection)

th_SpiderMawsitsit.jpg

3D Gemstone Spider Mawsitsit (Two materials on one mesh)

th_AquamarineII.jpg

3D Gemstone Aquamarine (Ray Mirror and Ray Transparency)

th_Grass.jpg

3D Grass (Blender Hair Particule System)

th_TreeBarkTex001.jpg

Tree Bark 1 (Using Blender Textures and Normal Mapping)

th_MarbleTex001.jpg

3D Marble (Using Emit and Blender Textures)

th_JewelryBoxwithMotherofPearlSilk.jpg

Ebony Wood Jewelry Box (My Modeling Skill)

So you see I'm pretty good in Blender for simple things, I just want to kick it up a notch so that I can make better things.

silver_fox_rival, you certainly have many skills well beyond what we will cover in the modeling classes here.  Frankly, I'm surprised that you would have trouble making any weapon.  Of course, you are welcome in the class.  Actually, I haven't spent much time making weapons myself--at least the kind you might find in Oblivion.  I did make a dagger as part of an exploration of Furthorc runes.

th_SerpentsTongue01.jpg

This might be a good opportunity to state what my plans are for the class.  What to cover?  There are many ways to make a mesh.  You can start with a primitive, or start with a 2D profile and extrude, spin, or sweep it, or start with something other that a mesh, such as Beziers, NURBS, Metaballs, or ZSpheres.  We certainly can't cover it all.  I believe our goal should be to establish a firm foundation; a 'mental scaffolding', if you will.  There are many excellent tutorials available that teach nearly every aspect of 3D modeling.  This foundation or scaffolding should provide a place to attach the new information.  In other words, we should cover enough so that each student can continue in the particular direction that interest's them using other sources (online tutorials, books, etc.).

The class will consist of a series of interactive tutorials.  Each will include one or more exercises for the student.  If a student has a problem, I and the other students will be available to provide help as needed.  In the first class, we will create a simple wooden stool, UV map it, assign a material to it, export it as a .nif file, add a collision primitive, and get it in game as a chair.  Things that we will cover in later classes include three different ways of creating collision for Oblivion, the technique of scrubbing meshes--one of the few important areas that has not been well covered in other tutorials.  We will cover the basics of extrude, spin, soft selections (what Blender calls proportional editing), vertex painting, and other techniques as we make more challenging 3D models.  We will spend a little time on things like poles, quads vs triangles, and other issues that affect the visual quality of the final mesh.  We will likely cover some areas beyond this as determined by what the class wants to lean (and the limits of my knowledge).

It's not that I can't make a weapon, it's the right texturing to apply to it that troubles me. I want the blade part of the weapon to reflect and refract light every time you move it.
That won't be covered in the modeling class, but may be covered in the texturing class that "will be opening soon".  Of course, if you teach that class, you'll have to figure that out yourself.   aa_biggrin.gif

I'd like to join up. I haven't tried my hand at modeling for years, so I'd say my skill level is about 2/10. I know what extrude means, but that's about it.  I'd have to stick with Blender too, as 3Dmax is beyond my means.      Thanks, Spurgamer.
Glad to hear from you.  We will have offical registration in a couple of weeks.  I hope you will jjoin, I think it's likely
that you will get a good bit out of the class.  'Until then.  Good luck.

Hello

I'd like to participate, I use Maya 2008-2009 and I've been modeling for almost a year now basically ever since I started moding. I've done a lot of tutorials from Gnomon and Digital Tutors.

I hope this course would help strengthen my skills and teach me some new ones.

HelloI'd like to participate, I use Maya 2008-2009 and I've been modeling for almost a year now basically ever since I started moding. I've done a lot of tutorials from Gnomon and Digital Tutors.I hope this course would help strengthen my skills and teach me some new ones.
You would certainly be welcome in the class.  However, the class will be based on Blender.  It would not be practical to have a class were students were using different modeling software (it's complicated enough as it is).  I suggest you audit the class.  With your modeling experience, you wouldn't get much out of the first couple of sessions and there's no point in doing exercises for things you already know well.  However, some of the material on collision, Bezier curves, alpha over alpha, and mesh scubbing may be useful to you.

BTW, an announcement should be up today stating that the official sign-up will start about Monday (the 24th).  You can read it now in the News forum.  There you will see that the modeling forum will be open to non-students as read only, making auditing for someone like you possible.

Loony wrote "... Any advanced courses being given?" Probably not.  If I wanted to learn more about modeling at the advanced level, I would start looking for tutorials at the support forum for my primary modeler (Maya in your case).  Beyond that, I'd search the general modeling forums like NURBS and Polys.  I would suggest SubdivisionModeling.com, but their forum seems to be down at the moment.

Good luck.