DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Poll: Oblivion's sucess though mods.

Denkin

The question is simple, The answer may be complex. Do you think The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion would have been such a sucess without it's replayability being increased by thousands of modders?

Please answer 'yes' or 'no' then say why you think that.

Cheers

Denkin

Welcome to the Alliance Denkin!   XD  And an interesting question. Without mods, I think Oblivion would have drifted quietly away into the night a long time ago except for some obsessive fans. IMO it doesn't have even the replayability of Morrowind without mods and the CS. It's a much shallower game in terms of gameplay and execution.

It's success would have been shadowed by a sudden lack of sales as players became bored after completing the limited content and moved on to other games, waiting for the next TES game. Don't get me wrong, I adore Oblivion and still play it almost daily in addition to modding it, but that is primarily because of modded content.   aa_tongue.gif  One of the same reasons I still play Morrowind as well.

I voted no as well, as someone who played the game solid for a year on 360 (day in day out, almost non stop for lack of anything else to do) before getting into PC modding, I can say the game loses it's appeal after awhile and really needs the constantly evolving content mods bring to the table to keep it strong.  aa_biggrin.gif

The game is still selling remarkably well for consoles, according to some quick research, and the experiences of my friend, who manages a game store. Despite all of its flaws, and I acknowledge there are many, it is still one of the better console experiences. Oblivion's popularity is not solely due to  mods, although they are likely a hefty incentive for PC gamers. How to account for its continued success on the 360, then?

But speaking only for myself, I would not be playing it to this day without the gifts of the modding community. As where with Morrowind, I can happily play it without mods. XD

How to account for its continued success on the 360, then?

I think that's the difference of playability and replayability. Oblivion offers a lot to first time players too, several excellent DLCs, loads of vanilla content, some "candy" voice actors like Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart. I think it has a lot of initial appeal to players who have never played before, but they hear about it. There's a lot of appeal in the fact that a lot of the DLCs are available from XBox Live.

There just aren't many good RPG titles on the next gen consoles yet, so word of mouth alone will keep new gamers interested, folks saying "Hey this game Oblivion Rocks!" Before I knew about mods and modding, i didn't know Oblivion was missing anything while gaming on my 360. I hadn't played Morrowind during its reign, so had nothing to compare it to except games like Fable (which was a terrible RPG imo)  and so comparatively, I had all the DLCs and Oblivion rocked hard!  XD

However, when it comes to replayability. Like with any game, when I became really familiar with the Oblivion world, even bored, I started to have thoughts like "Man I wish someone had done this..." or "What if this..." or "I wonder why they didn't make a story here..." That's where modding really shines. When the game has become familiar and old hat and you just want that "one more quest" that one more tantalizing bite of fantasy, modding delivers again and again and again. Without that, I think it's replayability would diminish, but probably not its popularity amongst RPG gamers.

But speaking only for myself, I would not be playing it to this day without the gifts of the modding community. As where with Morrowind, I can happily play it without mods. :wave:

Agreed!   XD  Good to know I'm not the only one who can enjoy Morrowind still and virtually mod free. Would you believe the only mods I'm using for MW are clothing and texture overhauls?  :lmao:

You make some good points, for sure. I do know some console gamers who are still happily playing Oblivion, months on. I think, for them, Oblivion is something like their first RPG experience, and the open world setting just thrills them, as they explore the different class archetypes. And compared to the more linear RPG titles on the 360, Oblivion must feel like a buffet, compared to the designated three course meals seen everywhere else.

Many of my favorite RPGs are not on PC- they are either dice and pencil experiences or they date back to the PS 1 or PS 2. I agree that the so-called next gen consoles have really thus far failed to deliver on the RPG front- neither Western or Japanese RPG titles, for that matter. My next RPG will be "The Witcher"- I was given a copy as a gift.  It also has a dev kit- I wonder what people will do with it?

Funny you should mention Fable- bad game, great soundtrack. Not the Danny Elfman stuff- too formulaic. But I practically worship Russell Shaw.

@ Red- you are not alone! XD MW is my favortie RPG- It has depth, mystery, and history. Love it! I'd love to hear about your MW adventures!

I voted yes. For the Computer? Oblivion wouldn't have sold so well without its mods, there are many games older than Oblivion that are equally developed and inclusive of 'roleplaying'. For the Consoles? Oblivion is so distinct compared to the Grand Theft Auto and Tekken clones that mods would just be icing on the cake.

Had I not used any mods, Oblivion would have died even more quickly than it already has for me. (Although a good dungeon run with my home-made pets is still fun for me, the game as a whole doesn't have many interesting qualities that can keep me returning even after I've played it 20 times.)

I must agree with WT to some extent, though I would say many of the games who sell so well only because of mods are devoid of any genuinely interesting or original gameplay, story, or other related details.

Oblivion and similar games definitely sold for reasons outside of mods though, simply by offering a relatively three-dimensional game, unlike the all too common linear RPGs or MMORPGs which can easily be interpreted as Final Fantasy clones, WoW clones, Diablo clones, etc.

Edit: My favorite RPG would be the 10th Final Fantasy, even if the roleplaying is relatively limited. A game can find its way to my gamer heart with a solid storyline and distinct game-world alone - the gameplay is solid and interesting enough to keep me content. I'm also a sucker for tragedy stories. XD

I would say, mostly yes, but not 100%. The game on its own is amazingly fun, with many areas to explore and whatnot. So on its own, the game was a great success. However, I think mods are what have allowed it to be even more successful. To say mods had no part in its success is foolish, but to say they are the only reason is just as foolish.

I voted "kind of"......

For me, oblivion lasted about 30 minutes without mods. I hated it. Levelscaling killed the game for me. I was weaned on Daggerfall, and Morrowind. A game that actually presented challenges that could not be overcome at any level. Some areas you HAD to be relatively high level, to have a prayer. After FCOM..... THERE was a game I could play.

But, the PC market is only a small percentage of the players. There are far more players on consoles..... And here, I will agree with Dark, it is the REplayability that keeps it going.

Before I knew about mods and modding, i didn't know Oblivion was missing anything while gaming on my 360. I hadn't played Morrowind during its reign, so had nothing to compare it to except games like Fable (which was a terrible RPG imo)  and so comparatively, I had all the DLCs and Oblivion rocked hard!  :swordplay:

I'm exactely the same, except change 360 to PS3.
Oblivion actually is the reason I saved up for a gaming computer. And altogether made me serious about PC gaming.

Oblivion's popularity is based largely on the work of modders.  Those playing the game on the console, they're first-time TESers - generally speaking - and they don't understand what's missing from the game.  I would guess that 6 out of 10 consolers get sucked in: they investigate the taste of Tamriel Oblivion gives them, and they find the world of mods.  This sends 4 of those 6 back to the store for the PC version.  For the mods!  The two of the six who don't buy the PC version have no cash.  :swordplay:  

Those four out of 10 who stay with the console version are like lions born in captivity - if you've always gotten your meat thrown to you (Oblivion) then you have no idea that you're missing the thrill of the hunt (Morrowind). Doesn't mean you're not happy with your meal...

Yeah - I'm sticking with the 4 out of 6 average.  aa_biggrin.gif  I'd be interested to find out what the real number is.

• 2 weeks later...

I say kind of.

I first bought it on the PC, mainly because I didn't have a 360 at the time.

I played the game for so long it was rediculous. When the official DLC's were released, I went to the main sight for the first time. I then decided to click on the forums, and now Oblivion without mods is like a pizza with no toppings

Sure, a cheese pizza is good, but one with many toppings, is amazing.

And after playing oblivion with mods on my PC, I tried the console one, I couldn't play it.

I bought it for the game, kept it for the mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the mods and the avaibiilty of the CS help a lot for the sales. Like its predecessor, Morrowind, Oblivion will live on for a long time.

I've heard and read many people who first bought the game on consoles and who switch to PC as soon as they have the money, simply because of the mods.

Mods adds new content, features, lands, quests and things to do.

Personally, I would have stopped playing Oblivion after a few months if there was no construction set. For any future Elder Scrolls game, I will wait until a CS is announced before I buy the game.

• 4 weeks later...

As you say, Denkin, the answer is not so cut and dried, especially for me. I`ve been playing ES for a couple of years since I got my first computer. The CS of course came with the MW GoTY edition I bought almost the same day.  :D It was like, okay what do I do with this? I wandered through the landscape trying not to haul off and beat up everyone who responded  pretty rudely for not being a defined enemy. It was a gas until I discovered Oblivion and the train left the station (never to be seen again). since then and till about a week ago I was almost perfectly content with it as it was. Then I came here and began to learn the CS. What that did is to ensure that I will never run out of places to explore and things to do and find, so yeah the additional content adds to the experience immensely, But I`ve been enthralled by this total work of interactive art for a long time and had no intention of shelving it...ever.