DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tavern Tales: Come on in and Have a Drink! Part VI

DarkRider

Will watched Red jump to a vine above her as his own escape from the collapsing structure made itself known by blinding him in bright daylight. Clouds of dust billowed around him and Grond as they both leaped for the only escape they saw.

The grey dust clung to William’s sweating body as he fell through open air. With only a moment to think he prepared for a hard landing in the undergrowth of the forest just below him. As the air rushed by him the sounds of a something big crashing into the limbs of a tree followed by a grunt from Grond let Will know the Nord would survive the fall.

William impacted with the ground. He tried to roll into the ground to lessen the impact but he still heard a pop from his shoulder as he rolled and crashed through some bushes.

When he finally came to a stop, he just laid there, looking up into the dust filled sky as the sound of the building collapsing came to him. His shoulder throbbed in pain as he tried to sit up, using his other arm.

He looked around and could not see Red or Quinn. Grond was cussing up a storm up in the tree above him, cautiously inching towards the tree trunk as the branch he was on creaked ominously.

Will’s shoulder continued to throb as he stood and stumbled towards the large tree Grond was in. Gritting his teeth, Will braced himself against the tree, took a deep breath and pushed his shoulder against the tree. Pain assaulted his brain, blurring his vision and almost buckling his legs as his shoulder popped again, snapping back in place. He fell to his knees in the soft moss under the tree, gasping for breath.

Just then a loud thump sounded next to Will as Grond jumped to the ground. He quickly came to Will’s side and gingerly helped him to his feet.

William clapped his good arm on Grond’s shoulder and whispered through the grit in his throat ignoring the pain in his concern for his friends, “I’m fine, let’s go find Quinn and Red.”

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red watched the dust rise through the ancient trees above her and tilted her head back when a pair of boots stepped up beside her.

"You alright, Red?" Quinn asked, kneeling beside her.

"Ow." She whined and then laughed, sitting up. She clapped Quinn on the shoulder. "You don't know how glad I am to know you made it out of there in one piece!"

Quinn ducked his head and cleared his throat. "Well, that was sort of my fault." He glanced up. "I had no idea I was shutting the whole thing down!"

Red chuckled and got to her feet with his help, stretching out the bruises she felt most everywhere. "Remind me sometime to tell you about this Dwemer ruin in Solstheim. Sometimes pushing an innocent looking button can have all kinds of dire consequences." She grinned crookedly at him and made him laugh.

"Let's go find Will and Grond. They must have made it out." Quinn looked toward what was now a tree ringed clearing.

"I know they did." Red said with surety. She straightened her pack and started back, smiling when she heard a very off key voice singing nearby. "See? That's Grond mangling my sea shanty."

"Mangling?" Grond bellowed as he and Will emerged from behind a row of trees. "I'll have you know Failan throws herself at me whenever I sing!"

"More likely to stop you." Will murmured and laughed when Grond slapped his head in mock dismay.

"I hear a pint calling me." Grond said then, clapping his hands together.

"All that trouble and nothing to show for it." Red said wistfully, looking where the diabolical structure had stood.

"There'll be other dungeons." Grond smiled at her.

"But you don't get to pick the next one." Quinn threw in and smiled at the surprise on her face.

Red laughed then and tossed her hands in the air, heading across the new clearing toward their horses. "Men. Can't say that wasn't fun at least, now can you?"

"Fun." Will shook his head, bemused, and gingerly followed. "That's one word for it." He massaged his shoulder and smirked. It had been fun, if dangerous. Bracing even.

Their high good spirits saw all four of them into their saddles with various groans for aches and pains and back to the Tavern where Arlow was seized by Grond and soon had them seated happily by the fire, pints in hand, and going over their adventure a step at a time with much laughter.

The Tavern fell into the sort of quaint and peaceful reserve it had always known in days gone passed; a kind of air that was often harder to come by these days with so many friends scattered to the winds and so many new faces occupying her rooms. Wilson and Arlow were never happier than when they were playing house masters to many regular guests and they busily filled drinks and laden plates with hearty food.

In front of the fire, Grond had dozed off in his grand chair, his mug, yet half full of ale was curled tightly in the crook of his arm, and he snored to himself quietly. Quinn and William told Red all about their trip to Chorrol, about the thief William had slain, and the missing medallion. The lady thief tried to ease Quinn’s cares. It might be premature to infiltrate the thieves’ guild, but she would do some asking through old channels and see if she might get the information they needed first. It was more than Quinn had hoped for, and when his body demanded retirement, he conceded, heading up to his room for a good night’s rest, leaving William and Red alone watching the fire burn lazily as night cloaked the Tavern.

Red was turned in her chair, her high booted legs crossed over one arm while her back stretched against the other. She cradled her mug of warm honeyed ale in her hands, feeling its heat ebb through the clay and soothing the aches in her hands.

“Do you really think you can help the boy find what was stolen?” William asked her.

Red shrugged and shook her head, “I don’t know, but I’ll try my best. It seems important to him. Whatever it is, it was important enough to risk his life in that machine to find me.”

“Quinn is brash and reckless,” William noted, “he takes a fool’s chance and fights like a very dangerous man. I am intrigued to know what is driving him, but at the same time…I wonder if he truly sees us as friends, or merely a means to an end.”

“Does it matter?” she turned her face toward him and the firelight danced across her green eyes, “You had trouble seeing us as friends once upon a time too.”

William thought it over, “That’s true, but then I made you all as suspicious then as Quinn makes me now as I recall. It matters to me…I’d not like to think that the moment we become less than useful to him, he will abandon us in the midst of whatever adventuring we find ourselves in next.”

Red sat listening, taking it all in. She could see William’s view plainly. In battle they had to be able to trust one another and if Quinn didn’t give or earn trust either way, he could put them in a great deal of danger. Her instincts told her that Quinn was like the rest of them; a lonely ship looking for harbor as Jack would say. He just hadn’t come to terms with his past yet, “I think, all we can do is wait and see what happens.”

“And be careful until then.” William added.

Red laughed, “Cheers to that,” they clinked their glasses merrily.

William finished the rest of his brew in a long swig and headed to the bar for another and a bit to eat. Red stayed in her chair, her eyes were growing heavy and her mind drifted lazily in and out of dreamland. She set her mug aside and crossed her arms over her chest settling in more comfortably. As she lulled there, a strange and familiar tune popped into her head and before long she found herself singing the words in a voice just more than a whisper.

“When dragon's breath sears cross the sky; and maidens fair do weep; we shoulder arms and give the cry; and monsters we to reap…Battles' gore and blood will shower; on armor plate with scale; The beast will see our strength and cower; 'ere we have him by the tail,” as she reached the last line she suddenly realized that her voice was joining another voice much further away, beyond the walls of the tavern. The last line was floating on a night breeze through the open window beside her and she sang the words out to herself in harmony with the other voice.

“To victory we raise our glass; and sing, we all of stories brave; and make we then to home and pass; with mothers', wives and …” she stopped, the other voice finishing without her, “Garulf!”

Red leapt from her chair and dashed across the great room as the dragon hunter pushed open the door singing, “and make we then to home and pass; with mothers', wives and babes!" The lady thief threw herself into his arms just as he shouted, “Red my lass!”

After a brief and passionate reunion he finally set her on her feet and she laughed, “What are you doing here? I thought you were in Skyrim now…isn’t this dragon season? Aren't there some poor defenseless dragons you should be slaying?”

“Aye I was, and it tis, and boy I sure walloped me a few good ones already,” he took the large mug of ale Arlow handed him as he led Red back to the fire with his arm across her shoulders, “Why I even caught myself a Gnewft.”

“A newt?” William asked for clarity as he returned to his seat by the fire.

Garulf shook his head, “No, no, a Gnewft. It a small be really devilish sort of dragon, vile things, you can smell them for miles around on a windy day. Speaking of smells,” he gave Grond’s leg a swift kick, “Oi, Gnewft Lips, how about getting yer lummox arse outta me favorite chair?”

Grond came too slowly at first despite the power behind Garulf’s kick. He blinked up at the other Nord blankly then his face slip into a boyish grin, “Garulf! What the devil are ye doing here you big oaf!?”

Garulf managed to slip Red his mug just as Grond tackled him in a fierce bear hug that, as usual, turned into a wrestling match before the two men finally surrendered and stood up laugh and punching at one another. Garulf’s laugh tapered off then the smile began to fade from his lips and Red became serious when she saw him do the same, in an unusual fashion. He kept his arm across Grond’s shoulders.

“Grond,” he said slowly, “why don’t we take this match outside,” he sort of tugged Grond toward the door, “I need more room to fong ye proper.”

Grond laughed and walked with his old chum outside. Red knew she should stay, put, but William saw her grave expression.

“What is it?” he asked, growing concerned.

“I don’t know,” she shook her head, “but it must be something…terrible.”

==================================

Once outside and around the side of the Tavern yard where they could have some privacy, Grond started rolling up his sleeves, “Should we say no biting this time I still have a scar…” he stopped when he saw that Garulf was not preparing for a brawl, and he was just staring at him in a dreadful way, “What is it? What’s wrong?”

Garulf sighed, “Grond, the family sent me here to find ye,” he said evenly, “it’s about yer da.”

Grond shrugged, “What about im?”

"He's vanished. Him..." Garulf coughed and stammered, and picked at his fur cuirass. Garulf faced Grond with a level stare. He sighed then said, "Vanished. Him. And yer ma."

Grond's eyes grew wide and angry, for his mother had been long dead for many winters. Grond opened his mouth to protest, but Garulf raised a hand.

“She came home,” Garulf said quietly, knowing how ludicrous it sounded, “I know, it’s madness, but it’s true Grond - I swear on Red’s life.”

Grond felt his heart racing, such a pledge meant it was the truth. “What happened?”

“In the midst of solstice celebration, yer ma came walking into the party. Dressed in furs and lookin' for all the world young and lovelier than ever, they said. But she stank of death and she didn’t say anything to anyone. She sat herself down at the solstice table and had herself a long drink. When she was done, she went looking for yer da,” Garulf explained, “I wasn’t there, I was already in the wood, but they say yer ma walked straight through town and when folks asked her what she was doing, she didn’t say. But she walked straight to yer house and when yer da saw her he started crying, saying Stendarr had given him his love back.”

“By the....nine,” Grond had to sit on the woodpile, his knees where weak.

“Yer da sent everyone away, and took yer ma inside the house to warm her, as her skin was cold as ice. Our clan was too afraid to leave yer house; they watched it all through the night. In the morn, one of the men knocked on the door to see if he was alright…he was gone Grond,” Garulf’s voice was soft, “just vanished in the night. Stavrish came to find me and when I heard the telling I came straight here to fetch ye. I think, ye need to come home Grond, yer da needs ye.”

"WHO'S FOR A TRIP NORTHWARDS?" bellowed Grond.

At the bar near the Nord, a small pyramid of empty wine glasses fell and shattered. But Grond paid no heed, nor did he wait for any answer. Instead, the Nord headed to the cellar door, stopping to speak short gruff words to Wilson.

The barkeep nodded and said, "I'll surely send word to her," but Grond had already gone through the cellar door. Garulf watched his oldest friend go, then he returned to the fire and Red, to tell the others the strange tale.

Meanwhile Grond went down the stone steps in two leaps. He threw his rucksack onto the bed and began sifting through his belongings to sort what would come with him on the trip to Solstheim. Then suddenly he stopped packing...

The evening shone like a pink jewel laid across the world, lighting it in a softness that hid its true spirit. The snow crunched under their boots. The hunt had been wildly successful, but that meant that young Grond would be burdened with hauling the kill. The boy huffed with the weight of the litter he pulled - three large elk, partially butchered to lay neatly on the litter Da had helped Grond build - "best learn this boy," Da said, because Grond just could not get the weave right. But the man smiled as the tall boy struggled bravely. Struggling was the boy's best talent, it seemed. Nothing came easily to young Grond, but he tried and failed silently, and tried again until he succeeded, equally silently. He was a quiet boy - very strong but to others seemingly secretive - the rest of the clan danced at festivals, or drank and fought at gatherings. Not young Grond. He seemed too thoughtful, unlike his mate Garulf, who teased him to no end about it...

Father and son walked several leagues through the ice and snow of the central plains of Solstheim. Father waited for son to stop and redirect them, smiling each time young Grond understood they were heading off course and away from their home. "Always use head and body, boy. Use 'em together. Yer eyes be open. Lookit everything along the way. Yer doin fine." Da would say, and little else. Small words that inspired the boy to pull harder. Small words which told the boy there was something wrong, as well. For he used his eyes through his efforts as Da had said, and saw strange marks in the snow. Marks he did not understand. He and Da stopped as one, for of course Da saw that which he had. "What's these, Da?"

They bent to the marks together. They looked as if great rough diamonds had been pressed hard into the snow. There were many of them, and they led back to the village, but did not lead any farther away. "Leave the litter," said Da. "Come." Grond drew his claymore as did his father. They followed the tracks towards the village. When they came there, they found that it had been attacked.

"Reavers," said Garulf to Grond, as the elders calmed his Da. For Heddwyn, Grond's mother, had been among the five killed.

In his cellar quarters, Grond found that the memory had pushed him to his knees at the foot of the bed. He saw anew his mother's ruined body. Her funeral pyre. His father's pained face.

The Nord stood and wiped his eyes as Red led a troupe down the cellar steps.

Red turned halfway down the stairs to see the group following behind and raised her hands. "Give me a minute? Please?" She asked and waved them back up. There were nods and they retreated back to the Tap room.

She went down the rest of the stairs and saw Grond wiping his eyes. The sight wrenched her heart and she wrapped her arms around his middle wordlessly and held him. Grond dropped his head onto hers for a moment and then stepped back.

"You always know just what to say." He smiled. Red chuckled.

"You know I'm coming." She said with authority and held up a hand when he looked to argue. "You've seen me through the worst of my past. Do you really think I'm going to let you run off to face yours alone? No buts. I'm coming."

He opened his mouth then closed it again, remembering that painful night in Mournhold. He nodded instead.

Jack came down the stairs just then. He looked surprisingly fit for someone who'd looked as though he were knocking at the gates of Aetherius not long ago. He expertly twirled a new pistol in each hand and flipped them into their holsters. "Aye, me too." He grinned at them. "I'll be coming as well. Can't very well have you lot running off without someone to watch your backs."

Red chuckled and slapped Grond on the shoulder. "Come on then. You can go upstairs and see who else is joining us while I run up and grab my furs." She took Grond's bag from the bed and grunted at the weight. "Sure you're not smuggling someone in here?"

The Nord took it easily from her and swung it over his shoulder. "few extras we might need." He smiled dimly. "It's dragon season back home."

Jack waved him up the stairs, winking at Red as she passed. As Red had thought, there was indeed a group of people waiting, all friends and all worried. Garulf nodded to her from behind them. She smiled and dashed up the stairs to her room. "Bloody Solstheim." She muttered. "I hate the cold." She flew into her room, emptying drawers of warmer clothes, spare picks and probes, tied a thin, long rope to the hook on her belt and pulled her furs from the chest at the foot of her bed. They were spelled and would keep her warm no matter the temperature and were her favorite possession.

Red jogged back down the hall and to the stairs to see who else would be joining her, Grond, Garulf and Jack on their way to snowy Solstheim.

When his good friend had come into the tavern and yelled about a trip to the north, William set his stein on the bar and headed up to his room before the last echo had died from the room. He enjoyed the snows of the north more than the heat of the southern deserts.

He packed his meager belongings into his magical pack that Arwin had given back to him. Since he had returned to the Tavern he had not had much luck in restoring his gold reserves so he could purchase better equipment. Perhaps this trip that Grond spoke of would improve his arsenal of deadly assassins’ weapons and tools of the trade.

With his belongings packed away, he headed back down the steps and saw Red and Grond eyeing those that had assembled near the cellar stairs. Red had a frown on her face as she looked around the room and finally saw Will coming down the stairs in full adventuring gear where he winked at her.

A bright smile then easily formed on her face as Red sighed in relief. She may not remember who this person called Will was, but it was evident that he was well liked by everyone else that she called a friend. And during the last adventure they were on, she was relieved to see that he was good to his word and even though Red tried to deny it to herself, perhaps Quinn and Will had actually saved Grond and her from that Ayleid trap.

Wilson was busy piling rations on the counter for those that would be heading out, along with some hardtack which would last at least until the end of the world. Will dropped a number of coins on the counter and took a healthy share of the boxes and stuffed them into his bottomless pack. With a wink to Wilson, he turned and waited for the others.

As Aurorae and Wilson were waiting for Arisis to tell her story a number of the other tavern regulars came in. Red, Grond, Willie and Quinn had just come back from one of their adventures.

Everyone listened with baited breath on the harrowing tales they had gone through in those ruins.

As things started quieting down a large Nord came in and there was one of those big Nord greetings when Grond saw his friend.

Aurorae turned to Arisis and said, " Arisis, it looks like we'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear what happened. Max and I were planning to leave in the morning, maybe you could tell us before we leave." Aurorae continued.

Arisis yawned and then said, "I'm getting pretty tired and really would like to go rest. Tomorrow would be a much better time." As Arisis got up to leave, she turned to Wilson and bid him goodnight. "Until tomorrow then Aurorae." Arisis sleepily said to Aurorae.

Aurorae bid Wilson goodnight and started to head to her room when suddenly she heard;

"WHO'S FOR A TRIP NORTHWARDS?" bellowed Grond.

Aurorae was startled by the booming voice. It wasn't one of those loud drunken voices, but one that had an urgency about it. Suddenly there were a number of people surrounding Grond asking what was the matter and volunteering to go with him. Aurorae wasn't sure about this man when she first arrived, but had come to know him as a good man, even if he was a Nord.

Aurorae was curious what all this excitement was about, but thought it best to head upstairs and get ready for tomorrow's trip home. She was sure that Max was tired of sitting around and would be thrilled to be going in the morning.

Just as Aurorae was walking down the hallway, Grond came rushing by her and accidently brushed against her shoulder. He stopped and said; "Excuse me Aurorae, I didn't mean to bump into you. I'm really in a hurry."

"That's quite alright Grond." Aurorae said. "I overheard part of the conversation downstairs. You were asking who was up for a trip northwards." she continued.

Grond told her about what had happened with his dad and that Garulf (the Nord who had come in earlier), Jack, and Red were going with him. "Aurorae, would you like to come with us?"

Just as she was about to answer there were sounds coming from the room behind them. Aurorae looked and realized they were in front of Maxwell's room and those sounds could only be one thing. Aurorae blushed as she turned back to Grond. They both looked at each other knowingly and moved further away so as not to disturb Max and his companion.

Aurorae looked at Grond and said; "Max and I had planned to return to my home in the morning. But it appears that he has other plans."

As Aurorae looked into Grond's eyes, she thought back to when her parents were killed. How she felt so helpless. Aurorae thought to herself; "Maybe I can be of some help."

"Yes, I would like to take this trip with you. Maybe I can be of some help." Aurorae said to Grond. "My supplies are running precariously low and I didn't bring any cold weather gear along on this trip. I should be able to replenish my supplies and purchase some heavy furs along the way." Aurorae stated. "My traveling gear is already packed and ready to go as I had planned to leave in the morning anyway."

Grond looked at Aurorae and said; "Aurorae, I'd be pleased to have your company on the trip. We'll be getting supplies along the way. Everyone is meeting downstairs when they are ready." With that, Grond turned and proceeded along the hall to see if anyone else wanted to make the journey.

Aurorae went to her room and wrote Max a note explaining what had happened and that she hoped he understood. She mentioned that if he wanted to he could join them later if he wished. She quietly went to Max's door and slid the note under it before returning to her own room to gather her traveling gear and heading downstairs to join the gathering group.

Jheuloh was sitting in a chair nearby a window, quietly observing outside a window, until his trance was startled by someone yelling something about a “trip to the north.†He shook slightly from the startle, though liked the sound of a “trip,†having become bored of the monotony of Tavern life. Seeing that rations were being packed in plain sight, Jheuloh figured this would be the last chance for him to go somewhere without looking rude. After spending a moment contemplating, Jheuloh then stood and moved to the counter, noting two people standing in front of the ration packages.

They surveyed the crowd calmly, taking their time to see who was doing what. A professional looking man was the first to notice Jheuloh approaching, and directed his gaze at him. “My name is William, and would you be interested in joining I and a few other folks on a journey to the far north? The supplies you would need to bring for yourself are whatever arsenal you have, and winter-fit clothing.†Jheuloh nodded his head, and told William “I’d be more than interested in joining, thank you for the offer; I just need to retrieve my supplies.â€

Jheuloh then paced upstairs to his room, passing by an odd looking elven woman, and opened a crudely organized drawer to get his heavy clothing. It was a bit of a scramble, because he had thrown everything together in every drawer, and he presumed he was short on spare time. His clothing and armor was put into travel bag, and his bow, axe, shield, and quiver of arrows in a second container container. After double checking to ensure he didn’t miss anything, he hauled his two filled bags downstairs, and placed them on the counter, ready to go.

Taking his place within the group, he noted the elven woman he saw upstairs with them, and a huge nord standing by William too. While waiting with everyone else, Jheuloh then proceeded to introduce himself to everyone, first telling his name to William, and then greeting the rest of the group. After making his rounds, Jheuloh noted that Grond seemed somewhat focused on something, like something was bothering him. He introduced himself to Grond, but tried not to interrupt the nord too much, leaving him be to focus on his thoughts in peace.

“It looks like you’ve found yourself a fair army, then Grond,” Jack said quietly, taking stock of the gathering adventurers, and clamping a hand on the Nord’s shoulder as he passed.

“Looks it,” Grond agreed, moving his hand to Jack’s shoulder gratefully, “if yer on yer way to the stable Jack, would ye bring around Mik for me,” he asked as he returned to tie his equipment to a sturdy pack.

Jack nodded once, “My pleasure,” he replied, leaving Grond and the busy preparations within the Tavern and stepping out into the clear night.

Garulf’s warhorse Lightfoot, was already tied in the Tavern yard from his arrival, happily chewing on a bucket of oats the stable hands had given him. He would need the energy for the coming trek. Jack headed into the stable, guided by the warm light. Inside he found Red running a slicker over Savior’s coat. He smiled when she looked up to see who’d come in and went to Mik’s stall. The big Nord’s horse nickered curiously, but allowed Jack to lead him out into the open and start brushing him down.

“You’ve any notion at all why we’re heading to Solstheim,” Jack asked, breaking the silence.

Red shook her head as she set the slicker aside, “Nope, but Grond and Garulf hail from there, it must have something to do with their clan. Whatever it is, I’m sure we can manage it.”

“How optimistic of you,” Jack chuckled as he finished brushing the stable dust from Mik’s coat.

Saddling the steed took a bit more maneuvering but Jack managed it despite Red’s laughter and tied Mik to the sideboard. He returned to the stall bank to retrieve his own steed Galleon, who’d been lodging happily at the Tavern since he’d left Cyrodiil months before. The grullo striped stallion danced around skittishly, Jack’s relationship with the beast had always been tenuous at its best. Red came over and set a gentle hand on Galleon’s broad neck, calming him almost instantly.

“Maybe you’d like to share a tip Witch?” Jack elbowed her playfully as he tied Galleon’s leader to the wall, “With a start like that he’s likely to leave me limping in the dust on this voyage.”

Red laughed, “I think he knows how you feel about him,” she picked up a brush and guided Jack’s hand, “I watched you with Mik, you can be gentle, pirate.”

“Aye,” Jack admitted, “but then Mik never dropped me on my arse.”

“Well I never heard you call Mik a stupid cow either,” she retorted.

It was Jack’s turn to laugh, “He’s a bloody animal not a man; he doesn’t care what I say.”

Red’s expression was amused, “You’d be surprised what they know about us, “ she withdrew her hand, letting Jack brush out Galleon’s coat on his own, she focused on stroking the stallion’s muzzle and keeping him calm, “Galleon knows you don’t like him, he knows you don’t trust him, and he knows….you have a big mouth.”

“Witch,” Jack scowled at her.

“Time to face the truth Jacks,” she said with a shrug, “if you want to ride a horse instead of a stupid cow, you have to treat him like one,” she left his side, retrieved Savior’s rein, and led her little steed outside.

Jack finished brushing out Galleon’s coat and moved around to the steed’s head, taking Galleon’s bridle in both hands. He looked around to be sure he was alone, “Alright,” he cleared his throat, “if I uh…offended you before, I’m….sorry. I’ll do my best to control my…big mouth."

Galleon bumped Jack’s chest with his muzzle and seemed to nod his head before shaking his mane out with a snort. Jack gave him a curious sideways glance, as if unconvinced, and then finished saddling his mount. To his surprise, Galleon actually cooperated and before long he was leading Mik and Galleon out into the Tavern yard.

Within the hour, everyone had gathered in the yard and had their mounts prepared for the road ahead. Grond and Garulf tied the packs and the supplies they had onto the backs of two pack horses from the stables. The load was light for such a journey, they would need to resupply in Cheydinhal before heading over the mountainous border into Morrowind. Casting an eye around at their ragtag band of travelers it was clear a few would need furs and heavy leathers at the least. Fortunately, Cheydinhal had a diverse marketplace and they would be able to collect what they needed there and they certainly had enough to make it that far.

Despite the late hour, Grond was anxious to get moving, feeling a quickening of urgency at his core. To his relief the others mounted up as well without prodding or rally needed. Everyone seemed to understand the situation was a serious one and he was grateful he had no need to make any grand speeches. He took the lead from one of the pack horses in hand and kneed Mik toward the road East. Garulf kneed Lightfoot into step behind him, followed by Red, Jheuloh, Aurorea, and Jack. William closed the end of the caravan atop one of the Tavern’s saddle horses, taking the lead for the remaining pack horse as he passed it.

At last they were off, a strange band of travelers, old friends and new, off on a journey to the far end of the world, in icy Solstheim. It would be many days before they would return to the warmth of the Tavern again.

The rest of the company heard Grond's hard shouts. "HI! On Mik! ON!"

Through the early morning they chased the Nord through the Imperial Reserve. They thundered through the center of the quiet hamlet of Wellspring Vale, the lone guard there barely escaping with a desperate leap. They rode down would-be attackers - wolves, bears, an unfortunate Imp or goblin. These were left behind as crumpled bloodied lumps on the floor of the Forest. For Grond's passion was high, and it seemed to the rest that he was prepared to continue this furious pace until Mik died of the exertion. He drove the silver horse hard with his sharp words, at first eastward, then turning to the south.

The company soon swung round the revived City of Kvatch, following the crazed Nord in his path round the now-beautiful City, and soon came to the Gold Road. There, two guards, walking their steeds slowly along the Road, were shocked to see a shirtless Nord on a silver stallion burst out of the forest just before them, his hair flowing wildly behind him, a fury in his face. Their shock deepened as the rest of the company galloped after him.

Last came William and the pack horse, for it was so burdened they were unable to gallop. One of the guards moved his mount to block William, and the Breton with his burdened horse stopped. The other guard spurred his mount after Grond, thinking he had a criminal to capture.

"Morning," said William, a peaceable grin on his face. He reached for his waterskin and drank long.

"Here," said the guard, "what's all this then?"

William corked the skin and cleared his throat.

=============

Grond's route would lead him south of the Imperial City, through the open Weald. There he felt he could ride in a line east and north to Cheydinhal. If, he thought with dismay, Mik would survive this pace. For even in his fury he remembered what his father had taught him. He kept his eyes open. But the Nord felt a desperate urgency that his experience would not quell, or perhaps he did not wish to. He had to get back home. He clicked and shouted to Mik. "Git up here Mik!! On lad!!"

The others followed best as their mounts could gallop. Jack and Galleon came near to Red on Savior. "Hey!" cried the pirate, "are we following him to give him a ride home after his horse dies!?! What the blazes is..."

"Hey Savior lad!!" shouted Red, ignoring Jack. "Let's get Mik boy!!" And the thief charged away from Rackham toward her Nords.

The walls of Skingrad receded on their left. Aurorae and Jheuloh wondered for a moment just how long this mad trip would last, and Jack's cry - "why'd we start this thing!?!" - as he dropped back to them, described well what they were thinking. They continued on the wild chase, for a moment forgetting about William behind them. Suddenly another rider burst past them, after Grond, it seemed. It was an Imperial Guard. They spurred their mounts on, and Jack cried, "Now it gets interesting!"

=============

Garulf knew his friend was not thinking properly. He charged ahead and cried,"Oi!!" Lightfoot raced hard behind Mik. "Nord!!"

Grond paid his friend no heed, but Mik listened. The silver stallion whinnied and shook his head - as if to say to Grond, sorry, my friend - and his gait slowed a bit so that Lightfoot could pace him.

The others were some ways behind them, except for Savior and Red. She soon met with the two Nords and the three friends still held a mighty pace, though slower now. Red's voice echoed the fury of the ride. "What in the name of Oblivion!?!" cried the thief. "Slow it down, Nord! You want to walk to Solstheim?! Our horses can't do this!"

While she shouted this, Red galloped past Grond and Mik. Turning, Savior reared directly in Mik's path.

The stallion whinnied and then at last halted. His coat -and Savior's and Lightfoot's - glistened and steamed in the cool morning. But Mik stamped his hooves. He was willing to press on for Grond, but grateful for the stop and he knew wisdom would prevail.

As the others drew near from behind him Grond laughed grimly. "Well then," he said. "What's fer lunch?"

Red kneed Savior up next to Mik and reached across to take Grond's shoulder, squeezing. "Grond I know you want to be there yesterday. I do." She smiled until he answered her with one of his own. Then she leaned back and planted a firm punch on his bicep, making him yelp. "But killing all the horses in a mad dash is not the way to do it!" Red laughed and scratched Mik behind the ears before Savior sidled away. "Our organized party is stretched back across half the countryside and I haven't seen that mule you were leading in over an hour."

Garulf bellowed a laugh and punched his friend as well. "There's no arguing with her, dragon bait."

Grond huffed and slapped Mik on the neck fondly, feeling the lather on the horse and smiled ruefully before looking up at Red. "Anything else?"

Red tossed her best crooked smile at him. "Put your shirt on. You're scaring the bandits."

She turned then as he sputtered a laugh and started off at a more sedate pace, allowing those behind them time to catch up. Jack shook his head and turned around to backtrack their trail. Somewhere back there was a lost pack mule and with his luck, it'd be the one with his extra ammo. As he rode off at a good clip, looking for tracks and glad Galleon was cooperating for a change, an Imperial Guard streaked toward him on horseback and then galloped past with barely a look. Jack briefly considered following but decided to let them handle it and chuckled as he went back to his search.

Red heard the hooves coming hard behind them and twisted in her saddle to see the Imperial guard come to a skidding stop in front of Grond's horse, drawing his sword as his mount bucked briefly.

"Halt!" He cried.

Grond looked bemused, in the middle of shrugging his vest on, one arm in, one arm out. "Huh? I haven'a done anything." The word yet hung unspoken and Red eased Savior around, coming up behind the guard. Unsure what was happening or why, she was ready to protect her friend if need be. She had little trust for the imperial highway guard having run afoul of a couple in her time who'd gone more highway-man than protector in their time alone on the roads. Garulf too looked confused and beyond him she could see no sign of the others.

Jack brought up Galleon’s head and reined him in to a stop. The grullo stallion was breathing hard and stamped his feet as if shaking off the last jolts of energy coursing through his body. He snorted loudly on an exhale and shook out his mane. Jack leaned over and patted his broad neck, “Easy old boy,” he said steadily, “catch your wind I’m certain you’ve had your fill of that pace.”

“Jack?” an unfamiliar voice called through the trees.

“Here,” he replied.

Through the trees Jheuloh appeared on his horse looking a bit bewildered, “Thanks, thought I’d been left behind. I’m Jheuloh, by the way.”

“Jack Rackham,” Jack laughed as they shook hands, “and no more than the rest of us boy,” Jack leaned forward in his saddle, “Where’s the woman, and the assassin?”

“I’m here,” Aurorea announced as she came through the trees behind Jheuloh, “lost my bearings for a moment. The assassin was held up by the Legion back where we crossed the road.”

Jheuloh looked back through the woods, “You don’t think he needs help do you?”

Aurorea snorted, “You mean the soldier right? The other can handle himself by the look of him. Have to say I hope we won’t be riding that hard all the way to Solstheim.”

“Agreed,” Jack answered, “at that speed if my mount decided to lighten his load, I’d be killed in the fall. Maybe the mountains will slow Grond down some, if Red and Garulf can’t manage to talk sense to him,“ he sighed, “well friends, let’s fan out a bit and see if we can’t find our lost pack horse. No sense in buying more supplies just because half of them walked home to the Tavern.”

The three spread out and tracked through the woods looking for the horse Grond had lost lead of in his haste. It wasn’t long before Aurorea let out a shout signaling she’d found the beast, but there was an urgency in her call. Jack and Jheuloh kneed their mounts toward her voice and as they drew closer they could hear a terrible squealing sound intermixed with the sounds of barking and growling. Both leapedt from their horses before getting too near and dash forward on foot.

The woods parted into a clearing, surrounded on one end by residual boulders. Their lost pack horse was squealing and bucking, pinned to the rocks by a pack of hungry wolves. Aurorea had dismounted and drawn her sword, but she was holding the reins of her white steed as the creature tried to bolt away. She couldn’t afford to chase her horse down next. She swung her blade toward one of the wolves as it turned from the pack horse to her, seeing a chance for an easier meal.

Jheuloh drew his steel bow and slipped an arrow into the quiver, letting it fly at the wolf attacking Aurorea just as Jack drew his pistols and fired off two rounds at the rest of the pack. Jheuloh’s arrow met its mark, hitting the wolf in the hip, but it spun toward him growling fiercely. It never saw Aurorea’s sword swinging down as she struck it to its death. The other wolves, scenting the blood of their own kind, and the smoke and thunder of gunpowder, made a hasty retreat.

“Thanks,” Aurorea nodded to Jheuloh before turning to calm her steed.

Jack hurried to the pack horse. The creature had suffered a few cuts and some were bleeding, but none looked terribly serious. They would be able to tend to wounds once they made camp. He took the leader and led the still nervous beast back toward the others. Jheuloh and Aurorea were mounted again and Jheuloh passed Jack the reins to Galleon when the pirate was close enough.

Jack mounted up and tied the pack horse’s leader to his saddle, “I can already tell this is going to be an exciting adventure, can’t you lads?”

“Who are you calling lad pirate?” Aurorea shook her head in exasperation.

Jack didn’t answer he just cast her a wink and laughed with his usual charm and turned Galleon back toward the east. The others followed, reunited, they could close the gap between them and the lead of their party. At least they had managed to collect themselves, scattering to the winds could prove disastrous on such a strange quest filled with unknowns. Jack knew how easily the Nord could be led by his heart, he hoped they could trust him not to lead them into a foul end.

William eyed his friends racing off into the distance, “Well now, that would be an interesting story if I had the time to tell it. Suffice it to say that we received word from Solstheim from the racing Nord’s family that his father is missing.”

Will winked, “And you know how them Nord’s are when it comes to family!”

The big experienced guard glanced at his departing partner and then back at the very young looking man in black leathers leading a pack horse. Probably stolen loot from where-ever they were racing away from. He figured this young buck would be no match for his decades of experience. Besides, there would be nobody left to say what the pack horse was carrying.

He pulled his blade from its sheath and pointed it at William, “Get off the horse, your coming with me.”

Will faked surprise and held his hands up, “Whoa, hold on officer, there’s no need for that!”

Will forced his hands to shake and opened his eyes wide. He then stumbled from his horse as the guard hopped down from his own, a grin on his gnarled face.

The guard confidently moved over to where Will was standing, shaking. The guard prepared to knock him out so he could take everything the younger lad had.

Will suppressed a grin at the guards’ overconfidence and knew exactly what the guard was planning. This was one of those instances where his very youthful looks helped him out considering he was actually an experienced 40+ year old Master Assassin.

The guard commanded that Will turn around. Will did as he was told, still shaking in his boots, listening to the footsteps of the guard as he came closer. Will listened to every move… The sound of chainmail clinking as the guard raised his sword, the whistle of the wind as he swung it around…

The guard only had a moment to register the fact that his sword sliced through the air where the young man had once been. The throbbing sensation on his head was an unusual sensation that vaguely reminded him of the last tavern fight he was in. The world around him seemed to sway and the ground quickly surrounded his vision and the ground quickly hit him in the face as darkness closed in on him.

William sighed, it was a lot of work not killing those who probably deserved it. But the man was an imperial guard, so the law had to be respected. Will took the small pouch from the guard and jangled it. Quite a few coins clinked back at him as he emptied its contents into his own. He then replaced it and jumped on his black horse again, grabbing the reign of the pack horse.

He set the horses into a gallop, only able to go as fast as the slow pack horse would go. His own horse was born of the fastest horses in Tamriel and had little problem trotting alongside the slower horse.

As he rode along a movement in the sky far to the north caught his eagle eyes. For as far away as the thing was, it had a rather odd shape to it. The thing appeared to be flying from the West and was heading in the same general direction as they were, towards Solstheim.

A frown quickly formed on Will’s face. That did not look good at all…

Apparently on track again, Jheuloh took a moment to reflect on what he had observed of the events that had just passed. Jack had asked if they could foresee the excitement ahead of them; Jheuloh chuckled, amused by the chaos which came close to spiraling out of control. “Indeed, though maybe next time we won’t lose each other, or our horses?†Jack smiled, he also amused, and then silence fell over the group while regaining their senses back from their disastrous beginning.

Jheuloh ended up behind the others, glancing over his shoulder for William; Jargoniew looked up at his rider, believing (correctly) that something was off. The black stallion slowed his pace, to reduce his potential for being the first to stupidly walk into whatever potential danger that may lie ahead. A shadow fell over Jheuloh, and Jargoniew startled at the sudden change in light levels, making a small amount of noise while stopping. Jheuloh looked up after seeing the shadow Jargoniew made a fuss over, and heard Jack break the silence by yelling “Look at what we’ve got up in the sky!â€

He pointed to the strange looking object, and progress halted to assess whatever was soaring above them so high. Aurorae’s eyes followed it attentively, and then mentioned to the others “It’s moving in the same direction we’re going.†They watched the mysterious creature or object fly off into the distance, until it was too far away to be clearly seen by anyone. They continued onward, though to the motley crew of adventurers, whatever flew ahead of them was the overwhelming topic of concern.

Nobody was wired to stay worried for too long, however; eventually apprehension died down, and small talk ruled the roost once again. While traveling, Jheuloh found humour in the oddity of the events that they started their adventure with. Between Out of Mind Grond, Guards on Wild Goose Chases, Wolves after the Horses, and Unidentified Flying Objects, Jheuloh decided this must be recorded somewhere. He sidelined these thoughts for now, however, and focused on the road ahead, casually looking back for William every so often.

Edited by Jheuloh

"Get off your horse!" The guard yelled at Grond and waved his sword toward Garulf as well. He looked behind them then, no doubt for his partner but Red saw no sign of a second guard and frowned.

"I don't think so." Grond growled and finished slipping his vest on. He fixed the guard with a stare that would have made lesser men quiver.

"We're Imperial legion, scum. You do what we say." The guard sneered and Garulf barked a laugh.

"We?" He looked around dramatically. "I only see one of you and I know just one of you isn't going to be enough."

The guard waved his sword again. "I said get down. Whatever you've stolen I'll be taking." He sneered again. "Been a lean year for us. I'm sure we can find a good price for whatever you've got."

"Over yer dead body." Grond said with a feral smile and pulled his hammer free as Garulf did. Just then, the guard stiffened, eyes gone wide and then toppled gently sideways off his horse and to the road.

"Sorry to ruin your fun boys." Red grinned and slipped the small club back into her saddlebags.

"Aww." Grond said and looked crestfallen. "I was going to enjoy that."

Jack appeared out of the woods behind them, the others in tow and looked on the scene with a brow raised. "Did I miss something?"

Red laughed. "Nothing interesting." She brushed a leaf and some dirt out of Savior's mane down onto the guard and turned leisurely toward the road to Cheydinhal. She saw Will as she turned and glanced back. He was making fair time with a packmule in tow and a satisfied look on his face. He took in the guard on the ground and tipped an imaginary hat at Red that made her laugh.

"I'll set the pace this time Grond if you don't mind." Red said loftily and kneed Savior into a fast canter.

He raised his arms in the air and exchanged a grin with Garulf. "On with ye then. I'd not end up like that one." Garulf laughed.

"I know better than to give her my back when her ire's up." He chuckled and followed his woman.

Traveling at a safer pace, they reached Cheydinhal late the next day. Red could tell Grond was itching to gallop full speed all the way still but to his credit, he allowed her to lead them more safely, without drawing the attention of any more Imperial Guard. They had slept only as long as Grond could stand the night before, which had been little more than a few hours.

She didn't know about the others but she was exhausted as their company drew into the stable yard outside the city gates and slipped off Savior's back. She leaned against his neck, watching the others dismount and saw weariness in their movements too.

"Aurorea, we'll rest here for now. There's a shop in town, Borba's goods. She's a bit surly but should have what you need for cold weather gear." Red grinned at the woman. "I overheard."

Aurorea laughed and handed her reigns to a stable hand. "Thank you. I'll go right now."

"We're not staying the night are we?" Grond asked, tension in his voice, and Red shook her head and smiled.

"No friend. We'll head on again in an hour or so." She patted his shoulder. "The horses need a break, and so do I."

Garulf took Red under his arm. "I see a stand over there with fresh fruit juice."

"Oh that sounds about perfect." Red groaned, her throat parched from the road dust. Jack stepped up with them as Aurorea headed into the city. Jheuloh followed close behind her while Will seemed to be debating between a drink or a shop. Red looked after the former assassin and shook her head. She wished she could remember him, knew the memories had to be in there somewhere.

"Will, you coming?" Red called to him, deciding to make an effort to make new memories.

He looked up in surprise, brows raised and nodded. "Yes, I think I will."

Jheuloh came back out of the gate and made for them. " On second thought a drink sounds better." He said softly and went ahead of them.

A Bosmer man stood near a cart of fruit, jugs of fresh pressed juice on a table beside him and smiled at them as they came. Jack stepped ahead and after a quick conversation, turned back with a jug in his hand and several mugs dangling from the other. "My treat." He said with a grin and went to a weathered table nearby.

Jheuloh stayed back with the merchant, who Red heard say his name was Newt, and began asking after his produce and if he carried herbs. Stocking up for the trip no doubt. Red sat and gratefully accepted the glass Jack handed her. She sipped the orange liquid and sighed in absolute pleasure. "Maybe two hours Grond." She grinned and took another glass as Will sat down and passed it to him, making him stare again and laughed. This was going to be an interesting trip.

It had been a mad dash crossing the countryside, at least until Red got that Nord Grond under control.

With the slower pace Aurorae had a chance to inventory her supplies. Aurorae thought to herself, damn I thought I had more than this. Most of her meager healing supplies and herbs were gone, probably jostled right out of her packs.

The group was expecting to be in Cheydinhal later this afternoon.

Aurorae hoped that they'd be early enough for her to get some shopping done. There was cold weather gear to purchase, a visit to the Mage's Guild for herbs and potions, and possibly a stop at The March Rider to pick up some armor, in case this got to be nasty.

As they neared the stables outside of town Red said; "Aurorae, we'll rest here for now. There's a shop in town, Borba's goods. She's a bit surly but should have what you need for cold weather gear." Red grinned at the woman. "I overheard."

Aurorae thanked Red, lowered herself to the ground before she realized just how sore her bottom had gotten from the long ride. Aurorae turned to Red and said; "I have a few things I need to pick up from a couple of different places. I'll do my best to be quick about it. Are we planning to stay the night or will we be heading out again soon?" Aurorae hoped against hope that there was a night at Newland's Lodge on the agenda.

Red looked down as she answered and said; "I'm afraid we'll only be here for an hour or so. Don't be gone too long."

"I'll be as quick as possible." Aurorae managed to say in her most pleasant voice. Hoping that the disappointment of not staying the night wasn't showing.

As Aurorae started for the gate, Jheuloh fell in behind her.

"Aurorae, I need to pick up a couple things and I'll meet you back outside since you mentioned you have a couple of stops to make." Jheuloh said.

"Sure Jheuloh, try to reserve me a nice mug of that juice that vendor with the cart had. I could certainly use a nice refreshing juice when I get done." Aurorae said with a smile.

Once inside the gate, Aurorae headed straight for Borbas Goods. The old Orc wasn't near as grumpy as Red had let on, and Aurorae was able to get a nice heavy set of furs for the trip at a reasonable price. Once that was done, Aurorae crossed the street over to Mach-Na's Bookstore. It had been a while since she had stopped in and seen Mach-Na and Aurorae had a special volume book that Mach-na had been looking for.

Her business concluded with Mach-na, Aurorae stepped around the corner to The March Rider to pay Tertia a visit. Aurorae thought to herself; "one day that woman needs to find herself a man. Aurorae strongly suspected that Tertia had her eyes on one of the captains guards. When Aurorae brought this up, Tertia very indignantly said; "Be a cold day in hell that I tie up with those thieving guards. They been fining people lately and its almost unsafe to walk the streets."

Aurorae bid her good day and headed over to the Mage's Guild for the last of her supplies. With all her supplies now restocked it was time to head back to the stables with the rest of the group.

As Aurorae passed Newland's Lodge, the smell of a nice dinner fire just grabbed her and drug her in the door. Aurorae knew she needed to hurry up back. She'd been gone almost an hour now. As she walked up to the innkeeper, suddenly two women started shimmering in a red glow and came at Aurorae in full battle gear. Aurorae pulled out her sword and started parrying with one and trying to fend the other off. They went round and round, scaring the bejesus out of the other occupants. Just as Aurorae finished off the first attacker, one of the city guards came running in to see what all the comotion was all about. Before Aurorae had a chance to speak in her behalf, a kindly old lady, who looked like she was from Morrowind stood up and told the guard what had happened.

He then went over to the two women who where sprawled out across the floor and said; "I know these women. They work over at Riverside as housekeepers. I wonder what got into them.?"

Aurorae looked at them and said; "I have no idea." Thinking to herself; "By the gods, what are Mystic dawn warriors doing here and why are they after me." Aurorae tossed a small bag of coins upon the counter and told the innkeeper to use it to pay for the mess that was caused. And with that she turned and headed for the door at a brisk pace.

On the way to the stables, Aurorae wrestled with the thought of bringing this episode up or hoping that it wasn't what it looked like to her.

Aurorae was in luck, the vendor was still there with his cart and had a fresh pitcher of his finest juices ready when she got there.

Aurorae introduced herself to the gentleman and he responded; "My name's Newt, I'm the finest woodsman around and have the best citrus grove in all of Tamriel."

"Pleased to meet you Newt. this has to be the best juice I've had in so long that I can't remember anything coming close to it." Aurorae said with a genuine heartwarming smile.

Just then Red and the others started moving around. Red asked if everyone was here and were we ready to go.

Grond and his Nord friend said in unison; "It's about time."

With that everyone headed to their horses.

Grond was away briefly. He said he had to find the armorer in town, for he knew her, and would visit quickly and return. Red scowled and watched the Nord stride swiftly away. She gripped Garulf's wide hand tightly until Grond returned. "Welcome back Nord," she said, "was she happy to see you?"

"What? Oh, aye, that she was," muttered Grond.

"Gah, that's my hand you know," cried Garulf.

"Oh quiet, you," replied Red.

They sat at a table, eating sweet rolls and drinking Newt's orange juice, when they heard a high voice call out: "Chips! Chips! Look! I found it!"

The Bosmer vendor who called himself Newt spun toward the voice, a look of delight on his elven face. They watched a young lad come, bearing a worn cloth sack half as big as he. Newt gave the boy a coin. Peering into the sack the Bosmer's eyes brightened, and a pale blue glow cast out and bathed his face. "My my," he said to himself.

"Chips??" said Jack smiling. The others smiled as well. "What's in the sack, Mr. Chips?" added Red. "Something shiny, I couldn't help but notice..."

The Bosmer stammered, "Oh just...hard to find ingredients..." and quickly dropped the sack into a deep chest. Locking it he asked loudly, "Can I refill your mugs, friends?"

They all nodded, even Grond, who held up his mug. Jack looked at him in mild surprise. "Well now friend Grond," he said as Newt filled their mugs, "has the morning's exercise cleared your head?"

"Aye," replied Grond, "Canna wing it to the Isle, nor recall there, so let's walk."

The idea had come to the Nord as he sat drinking juice. His trip into Cheydinhal had been for a different reason, and he did what he could to mask his excitement. Red, however, caught it before the Nord could conceal it. She and Grond looked upon each other until the Nord averted his eyes and said too loudly: "Let's plan us a trip, eh?"

Just as Newt had, thought Red. Grond scratched the back of his head and glanced quickly back at Red, who still stared. Then the Nord looked to Jack, furrowing his brow as he appeared to truly concentrate on the Privateer's words: "I'd make for Blacklight. The vessels that run up the inner sea charge far too much for the journey. My Lady Longwinter - my ship" - he nodded to Jheuloh and Aurorae - "is - well - probably somewhere across Tamriel now...sure wish we'd be going for her." He spoke as if the ship were an estranged love. She was taken from Rackham when he had been arrested. He made it clear to the rest that he did not want to discuss it.

As the others rejoined them at the juice stand they talked of the route they planned to take. "We stay on the road out of Cheydinhal and Septim's Gate Pass will let us easy into Morrowind," said Red, munching another sweet roll. Jack nodded, as did William as he sat down and savored his mug of juice.

"Aye, love," said Garulf, casting eyes above him. "Mayhap this wet will wait for us to get higher. Snow don't bring the ruin to travels that rain do." For the skies were growing grey, and heavy clouds scudded slowly up from the South. The sun sank into the first trailing clouds, bathing Cheydinhal's violet rooftops in a ruby light.

"Red sky at night, Sailor's delight," said Jheuloh. But Aurorae quickly dissented.

"Isn't that supposed to be Sailor take fright? "

They all looked to Jack, who shrugged. "I've never heard of such rhymes. I wait til morning, usually." Laughing, they continued to plot their course.

They had a route in mind. They would cross over the Velothi Mountains through Septim's Gate Pass, travel on to Silgrad, then to the Port town of Blacklight. Grond sighed. "Days," he muttered.

"We'll get there, old man," said Garulf, clapping Grond's shoulder. "Keep yer pants on!" They laughed then; Red, William and Garulf chuckled, and Grond smiled. Jheuloh, Jack and Aurorae looked at them with questioning eyes. "When the Nord's happy," explained Red, "the Nord's naked. And the opposite's true too!" They all chuckled at this, but the thief kept her eyes on Grond, who worked hard not to look back.

Newt came to them after some time. "Going off to the Inn tonight, friends?"

"Nope, friend Newt," answered Garulf, "Fact is, we'd better get going or this one will take off without us again."

Newt cleared his throat. "Well, then, shame it is...but...I'm afraid it's closing time, and I need to ask you for your mugs, at your earliest convenience, of course. For it would be fine to have a true drink with you all. I'm for the Inn - won't you accompany me?"

"Thank you, Newt," said Grond, "But no. There's a journey we have to get on with. But if you're of a mind to, come out to our Tavern off the Gold Road. We never close." The Nord drained his mug and rose to leave. The others did as well.

Red added, "And bring out a sapling if you can, will you? This juice would do nice with a little Cyrodiilic Brandy in it." Newt agreed to do just that, if he could, and the new friends gathered their things and accompanied the Bosmer to the Inn. There they took their farewells and they all voiced their hopes to see him again.

They left Cheydinhal under the grey cover of night, bound for the Velothi Mountains and Septim's Gate Pass.

==========

Heading northeast they rode abreast, taking the whole of the Road for themselves. Red, Garulf, William, Jack, Jheuloh, Aurorae, and Grond, they rode at a steady jog, one which hardly satisfied the Nord's anxiety, but which, because of the plan he'd made, bothered him only a little. Slowly but steadily they marched. The skies seemed heavy with rain, but for a time their luck held, for none fell.

Red rode Savior close by Grond. She knew that the Nord had discovered or decided something, and after some time of reflecting on what he'd said, she made a guess.

"Hey Nord," she whispered. As Grond turned to her she held out her hand. "Give it to me."

Pausing to consider fighting, Grond soon relented. He sighed, then reaching into his leather pouch he produced a silver ring with a golden stone.

Red took it. "Nice. Now, I thought it would have been a scroll. A teleport ring? Really?" She hid it in one of the pockets of her leathers. "Now listen carefully, you - we all go. Got me?"

"We teleport then?" Grond's stricken face tested Red's resolve. She nearly gave him the teleporting Ring back.

"We'll all go," she said again, care for the poor Nord piercing her like an arrow.

The mountain range between Cyrodiil and Morrowind was a formidable adversary. As the band left Cheydihal, the mountains rose up before them like a great stone giant to be fought. All fell into a reverent silence, each rider trying to negotiate the rough terrain. Their horses stalled hither and there, taking ginger steps, fearful of falling on the ice, snow, and loose granite. Each time the caravan was called to whoa for some tricky section of path, Grond growled in his saddle, his eyes always toward Solstheim. He knew he was behaving as a madman, and inside he was chiding himself to be calm, to bring back the self assurance and courage he had always prided in himself. He could tell he was making his comrades nervous. It wasn’t enough that they were scaling some frightfully treacherous range, and heading toward some unknown peril, the man at their lead was a fear driven madman too. Grond took a deep breath and cast away his thoughts of some speedy beast to wing him to his destination, by magic or none; Red was right. They had to stick together. If he tore away on his own now, he might as well never return to his comrades, leaving them alone in the wilds for his own foolish impatience. He felt a calming breath fill him and overhead he heard an falcon cry. He searched the skies and sure enough, though the mountain was too high for such a creature, he saw a hawk crossing the sky overhead. It seemed to circle over him deliberately before flying off toward Morrowind.

“Serenity,” Grond shook his head, it couldn’t be that hawk, not Rider’s hawk, “I sure could use yer steady guide now my old friend,” he thought wistfully to himself. His distraction was broken by the sound of sliding hooves on ice and he turned to see Galleon slipping backward.

“Whoa boy, whoa,” Jack leaned forward in his saddle, pressing on Galleon’s neck trying to aid him forward off the breaking ice. Garulf had caught Galleon’s reins and was tugging to get the beast a foothold and they managed to regain ground and resume their climb.

“Maybe we should walk the horses through here,” Red said wisely, nudging Grond when he didn’t reply.

Grond nodded, “Oh aye, yer right yeah,” he dismounted from Mik, “we’re gonna try walking the horses a bit,” he told the others.

Garulf dismounted from Lightfoot, “There should be a vale through there with less snow and climb, I passed through it on my way by the first time,” he said, pointing to where the mountains seemed to split just beyond the trees.

Grond lead Mik in the direction Garulf had indicated. Red waited for Garulf to catch up to her before moving to follow. She slipped her arm into the crook of his elbow, “What’s a nice Nord like you doing in a place like this?”

He laughed, “I was just about to ask ye the same thing,” he teased her.

Red smiled and then sighed, “We’re losing him,” she said looking at Grond’s back well in front of them, “If the gods don’t show us some favor soon he’ll be mad before we make Solstheim at this rate.”

“Aye,” Garulf agreed mournfully. He wished there was some argument he could make but there was none, “You didn’t know Grond as a boy, mousey shy thing he was; didn’t care much then for the rough play of Nord boys that came about much later. After his Ma died, you know his da was his whole world and always will be no matter how old our Grond gets I think. If we find him dead…I think the Grond we knew will be gone.”

“Don’t say that,” Red suddenly became grim.

“It’s the truth love, I’m sorry,” he said gently, but she withdrew and shoved him before stalking ahead.

“I said don’t, Garulf,” she repeated. She would never accept that, not ever. She would not lose another friend to some demon they would face alone for all their days. She would find a way to help Grond, and the first thing they needed was a way to Solstheim that wouldn’t take another two weeks in the saddle. “We could really use a favor now,” she whispered, to anyone who might be listening.

Aurorea led her horse along behind Red and Garulf. She couldn’t hear what was being said but she could tell they were quarreling, especially when Red shoved her lover away and headed after Grond. She found herself always looking backward and reflecting inward, reliving every moment over again in her mind, and the realization made her sigh out loud. Here she was surrounded by new friends, each struggling with their emotional investments. She had no such ties to the situation, she only knew Grond a bit in passing, and knew or cared nothing for his family in Solstheim. She was in a position to help them, to keep them moving forward with strength, yet she withered into silence and reflection. She lifted her head with confidence; she would find a way to use her strength to their advantage.

“What is it?” Jheuloh asked, leading his mount up beside her. Whatever changed in her demeanor must have shown outwardly to catch the youth’s attention.

“Nothing,” Aurorea answered, “I just realized there’s more I can help with here than I’d thought.”

“More you can help with than you thought?” Jheuloh fairly parroted back to her.

Aurorea frowned, “Do you do that on purpose or do you not even realize it?”

“Realize what?” Jheuloh asked curiously.

“You repeat back everything anyone says to you,” she told him bluntly.

Jheuloh stopped walking but Aurorea simply carried on. He thought back to his last few conversations and his face flushed when he realized she was right. He had been repeating things back. It was a terrible nervous habit. As Jack came up beside him leading Galleon and the pack horse Jheuloh prodded him.

“Do I repeat everything that’s said to me?” he asked.

“Like a parrot with a peg leg,” Jack answered without hesitation.

Jheuloh felt his face flush again, “Why didn’t anyone say anything?”

Jack laughed and clapped him on the shoulder, “Don’t fret over it boy. Just stop doing it before someone decides to pluck your feathers and roast you for a meal. Those Nords get fiercely hungry when they’re grouchy.”

Jheuloh nodded, “So I’ve seen,” he shook off his embarrassment, Jack was right he just needed to relax, “So, you’re a pirate?”

Jack nodded, “Yep, a murderous plundering bastard son of the seas,” his eyes sparkled, “that’s not a problem is it?”

Jheuloh shook his head, “No, none at all. But how did you end up here?”

“That,” Jack answered, “is a long story for another day,” Jack was drawn back when the pack horse he led stumbled a few steps back. As he regained his footing Jheuloh moved on and William came up beside him leading his mount and the other pack horse. Jack turned to acknowledge him but the other man’s eyes were looked on some distant point at the top of the ridge. Jack tried to follow his view but saw nothing.

“What do you see?”

William shook his head, “I can’t be certain. There is something moving just over that ridge, I think it’s something I saw in the skies a few days ago. You know the Nords call this dragon season.”

Jack nodded and reached into Galleon’s saddlebag to withdraw his spyglass. He stretched it out its full length and aimed it toward the ridge William indicated. At last he could see what the other man managed with merely his eyes. Beyond the ridge something seemed to be drifting up and down. He tightened the focus ring on the spyglass to get more detail. At first, he couldn’t be sure what he was seeing, but then he managed to put it together from memory.

“It’s a balloon,” he said still sounding uncertain, “I think it’s an airship.”

William’s eyes brightened, “Did you see any markings?”

“Aye, a bit of a swirly pattern,” Jack answered slipping his spyglass back into his pack.

William’s heart leapt, “Take this,” he passed Jack the reins of his horses to Jack and hurried to run and catch up to Red. It would be faster to cross the terrain without his horses in tow and with Red still leading Savior, she was easy to catch, “Red, up on the ridge,” he grabbed her arm breathlessly from the sprint over hard ground.

Red looked to the ridge and saw nothing, “What is it?”

William caught his breath, “It’s Shamus.”

The news came just as they reached the hidden vale Garulf had mentioned and Grond’s whole demeanor changed when he was told their fortunes were changing at last. With grass under foot once more the caravan was able to mount up and ride at a good clip around the bend in the vale. As they came around to the other side they could see a Dwermer airship docked in all its glory near a cliffside village sheltered from the snow and prying eyes against the craggy rocks. The hawk Grond had seen earlier called again and soared up from the bough of the airship before flying back toward the heart of Morrowind. They rode easily over the stone and wooden planks and platforms leading up to the village, which as they learned from the sign in, truly was called Cliffside.

As they rode into the heart of town a familiar voice called, “Red! Grond! William!”

They turned to see Shamus standing on the dock waving at them heartily. They dismounted and hurried to greet him. When he saw Red he swept her into his arms for a hug before setting her on her feet.

“Rider was right, the resemblance is uncanny,” he told her with a bewildered shake of his head.

“Then you know she’s returned from the dead?” William asked as they shook hands.

Shamus nodded with a grin, “Aye, Rider sent me word awhile back.”

Grond was gob smacked, “You’ve heard from him then?”

“Often,” he pointed to the hawk in the distance, “that’s Serenity now taking my word back to him. He said you might be paying me a visit, when I saw you in the vale below I returned her to him. How can I help you my friends?”

After introductions the group sat down to a meal together at the local pub and over shepherd’s pie and warm sugar ale, they told Shamus about the plight of Grond’s father and the long and difficult trip they’d had so far. The archaist immediately offered them passage to Solstheim; his airship was unburdened as chance would have it and could easily carry them all and their mounts with ease. Once everyone had rested and refreshed supplies in the village, they loaded up the airship and there was no delay sending off. With the horses stowed below deck, the ties were unbound and the ship rose into the air, her propellers pushing her north.

Grond was resting against the bough of the ship, as if trying to get as close to his destination as possible. Over his shoulder he could hear Jack and Shamus talking animatedly about the airship and the various points of captaining as Jack was given the helm. Red came up beside him and wrapped an arm around his broad back.

“Won’t be long now, maybe a day,” she reassured him.

“Aye,” he answered feeling his air returning to him, feeling the painful clinching of worry and panic lessening with each passing minute as if being carried to the surface of the water moments from drowning. A thought drifted across his mind, “How do you suppose Rider knew we were on our way North? How would he send word to Shamus?”

“I don’t know,” Red shrugged with a smile, “but at least we know, wherever he is, he’s still with us.”

Grond thought it over, “Aye, and that is something.”

Grond stood at the rail, glaring out into the night and trying to push the seething frustration he felt away. Shamus had at last told him to go somewhere else after Grond's third attempt to demand more speed from the ship. He knew he was skirting the edge of madness with his need to reach his father yet couldn't seem to find his footing.

Red came up beside him, bathed in the meager light of the lantern hanging above them and looked sideways at her friend. He studiously avoided meeting her gaze and she sighed.

"Shamus says you were one step from hanging from the yardarm if you didn't leave him alone." Red tried and got only a grunt in response. She sighed again and decided her friend needed something sterner than humor. She took his arm and pulled him from the rail and made him look at her.

"Grond. I need you to be in control." Red said soberly, fixing him with a meaningful look. "You do your father and us no good if you allow panic to rule you. Our wild ride across Cyrodiil should be evidence enough of that." Grond squirmed uncomfortably and nodded.

"Aye."

"I mean it." Red thumped his chest. "I know how it's making you feel but you have to control it."

Irrational anger surged in Grond then and he lashed out at her. "What would you know of how I feel?" He regretted it almost as soon as it left his lips.

Red's face saddened and she pointed to herself. "Look at me Grond." She waited until he did. "I had a daughter I can't even remember having. Now she's dead and I inhabit her body and I have to ask myself what else the Night Mother hid from me. Do you think I don't feel the same panic you do?"

He sighed. "No lass." and the anger fled, replaced by shame. "You're right. I'm sorry." He straightened and tried a faint smile for her.

"That's better." Red hugged him quickly. "Now, go talk to Garulf. He thinks you're going crazy. Thump him or something would you?"

Grond forced a grin then and nodded. "That I can do." He said and went off to find his old friend.

"That was well done." Jack's voice came quietly and he stepped out of the shadow of the wheelhouse. Red shrugged and turned back to the rail as he stepped up beside her. He looked down at her face. "Are you used to it yet?"

"To what?" Red looked up confused.

"Seeing that face in the mirror." He replied, curious.

She ducked her head and smiled ruefully. "Sometimes. I'm learning not to jump when I pass a mirror and see myself." She laughed. The air had chilled remarkably in the short time Red had talked to Grond and she shivered. Looking over she saw Jack wrapping his arms about himself. A faint light began to grow on the horizon ahead of them. Dawn was coming and they spent a while watching the sun rise over a snow white shore in companionable silence.

Red jumped when her furs fell around her shoulders and then groaned happily when their warmth began to seep into her. "Have I mentioned I love you, Dragonhunter?" She said happily and got a chuckle in return.

"What? None for me?" Jack asked innocently.

"Find yer own." Garulf laughed and wrapped Red up as she hummed happily in the patchwork furs. She looked up at him and burst out laughing. His handsome face now sported a swelling black eye. "I see Grond took my advice."

"Aye and he'll be nursing sore ribs for a day or more." Garulf gave a satisfied smile. "I"d say we came out even and he seems...better."

"Land ho!" Came Shamus' call from the wheelhouse. Jack perked up like a child and ran up the stairs to join him.

"Shamus must have asked him if he wanted to try landing this infernal machine." Garulf chuckled.

"We might lose Jack to the skies after this." She said on a laugh and followed the pirate, Garulf at her side.

Jack was indeed at the wheel, a look of happy concentration on his face as he maneuvered the ship, adjusted the sails and spars, calling out orders to the deck. Shamus stood beside him, ready to take over should the pirate do something unfortunate.

Red saw the others come out on deck below the wheelhouse. Jheuloh looked a bit green and Red remembered her first time aboard an airship with a smirk. She hadn't been much better at first. Grond gave the lad a slap on the back and received a wan smile in return.

In short order, the airship was bobbing easily just above the ground, the crew throwing landing lines over the side and sliding down them like acrobats to secure the ship. "How are we going to get the horses down from here?" Red asked, realizing they were far too high for the deck ramp.

Shamus grinned. He gave Jack a comradely punch for his landing and then grabbed Red and pulled her with him. "The last time we had all those horses aboard I thought I should make a few...alterations. Just in case there was a next time." He laughed and called out to his crew as he pulled her to the port rail. "Look over."

Red did, the crisp winter wind rushing up to her meet her and then gasped. Below them, a seam appeared in the hull of the ship and grew until a whole section of the hull began to swing out and down. "Shamus that's fantastic!" She whooped and dashed away to go find her boy below decks.

"You always have the best toys Shamus." Grond laughed and clapped his friend on the shoulder.

Red found several of the crew below herding the horses and pack mules toward the now open ramp and saw Savior snorting unhappily at the front of the line. She ran to him and took the lead from the man holding it. "Thanks. I"ll handle him." She wrapped her arm over Savior's neck and spoke in his ear. "Come on boy, it's just a ramp. No more flying after this eh? All you have to do is walk down." She stepped out in front of him and took the first step on the ramp and felt the reign pull. "Now stop being a baby and get over here." Red said exasperated and looked up when she heard a laugh to see Shamus still at the rail.

Savior jumped forward a step then and snorted angrily over his shoulder. Red saw Galleon behind him and watched as he nipped again at her boys rump and got him moving. She worked hard to smother the laugh and lead Savior down the ramp where he turned at the bottom and neighed his opinion back to Galleon and the ship in general she thought.

A little over an hour later, the party was ready. Horses saddled, gear stowed and wrapped in their warmest clothes. Shamus strode back to them in his odd, rolling gait that Jack had as well and pulled gloves on as he came.

"I wish we could take you further inland but my weather eye tells me there's a blizzard brewing from the north. Cold plays merry hell with my engines."

"You brought us far enough." Grond said and clasped arms with him. " I can't thank you for all the time you've saved us."

"I hope you find your father well Grond." Shamus said solemnly. He stepped around then and caught Red in another hug. "Seeing you alive and well is still the best present I could wish for. Keep her safe." He spoke to Garulf, standing behind her and grunted when Red's elbow found his stomach.

"I can take care of myself you know." She growled and smiled.

Shamus raised a brow and shook his head, laughing. "Some evidence to the contrary there." Jack distracted her and took Shamus' hand in a hearty shake.

"Shamus, that ship of yours." Jack took a moment to enjoy the sleek lines of the airship and his memory of flying her. "Almost makes me forget the song of the sea."

"If ever you decide to try your hand at plying the skies, find me." Shamus grinned. "I'll get you started building your own."

Jack's eyes sparkled, visions of airborne piracy flitting through his head and waved as the others did when Shamus jogged back to his ship and up the ramp as it began to close. In short order, the land lines were released and the ship rose gracefully into the sky and then banked back the way they had come.

"Come on then." Grond said and swung himself up into Mik's saddle. "If we ride hard through the day, we can make Ravenrock by nightfall. We don't want you thin skins sleeping out in the snow."

Garulf roared a laugh and shared a happy look with his friend. This was home to them and while the others were wrapped in layers of fur, they wore their cloaks open and seemed to revel in the freezing wind that blew across the small plain.

"Will we make it there before the blizzard do you think?" Aurorea asked as she mounted her steed and looked up to the dark, heavy clouds now overtaking the sky.

"No." Grond replied simply. "We'll be caught in it for sure."

"One of the reasons Dragons love this time of year is the snow cover." Garulf eyed the clouds happily and adjusted the hammer at his back. "We can't seem 'em til they're on top of us. This storm will last days, if not weeks."

"Marvelous." Red groaned and settled her furs more firmly around her in the saddle. "Lead on then Grond." The Nords laughed and led the party out into the forests of Solstheim and what would come to be an epic snowstorm.

The Nord’s lead the troupe of adventures through the old evergreen trees on the southwestern coast of Solstheim. They were heading in the general direction of RavenRock, the only settlement that was nearby considering the blizzard would soon overtake them.

They plodded through the forested hills as the sky grew darker and darker. They met no other creatures as they were smart enough to find shelter for what appeared to be a rather sever blizzard. Both Grond and Garulf looked at each other; they knew it was going to be a bad storm and they needed to make it to the settlement.

As they rode on a refreshing light breeze blew out of the North bringing with it a few snowflakes which fell to the snowless ground and stuck there. Will looked darkly to the North and pulled his furred cloak tighter around himself. He could feel the barometric pressure dropping rapidly in his bones.

Garulf pulled out a roll of rope he carried on his saddle and handed the end of it to Grond who tied it to his saddle. He growled lightly to himself knowing it would slow them down even though it was necessary for their continued travel. They slowed down and waited for the others to catch up with them and helped each one in turn attach their horses’ reigns to the rope.

They were soon riding in single file with Grond leading all the horses with the rope, and not a moment too soon. Grond yelled out over the increasing gale force winds, “Cover up the best ye can and let me guide yer horses!” The wind briskly increased in strength and brought with it a stinging sleet that robbed the riders of their warmth and made any further communication impossible.

Grond tried to stay in the trees for protection from the increasing winds as they kept a slow pace forward. The sleet soon turned into a thick snow that decreased their visibility to an increasingly smaller radius around them. The wet snow stuck to them like poorly made oatmeal. Red shivered as she brushed the sticking snow from her face and pulled the furs tight about her face, trusting Grond to guide her.

Garulf let Grond blaze the path forward as he kept his eyes to the sky. This was the kind of weather that a dragon might just find attractive for an ambush. The strong winds and blinding snow would easily make it undetectable as it approached. Even the stench of a Gnewft would be impossible to detect until it was right on top of them.

The continued through the storm as the snow began to pile up on the ground an inch at a time. Garulf had almost relaxed when a dark shape flitted in his periphery vision along with the unmistakable smell that heralded the arrival of a Gnewft!

He tried to yell out a warning to Jheuloh who rode behind him but the blizzard stole the words from his mouth. He jumped from his mount and caught his foot on the rope that kept them together which pulled Jheuloh’s horse into a quicker pace just as the Gnewft winged its way past where Jheuloh was, claws extended.

Jack jumped back in fright as a black shadow of a flying beast flashed in front of him. It screeched in dismay at missing the easy meal it should be flying away with now. The stench then hit Jack as he pulled his frozen pistols from his holsters, aimed and pulled both triggers. Instead of the booming sound of the gunpowder going off and the jerk of the weapons kicking backwards, there was only a click that was stolen away on the winds. Jack quickly inspected his pistols to find that the sleet from earlier had frozen into the powder where the flint usually ignited the charge.

The Gnewft flapped its leathery wings blasting wet snow into everyone around it, blinding them with the freezing snow. Jack pulled out two of his throwing knives by touch and threw them in the direction he had last seen the beast and was rewarded with a screech from it. Jheuloh and Grond were picking themselves up off the snow covered ground. Red heard the beastly screech and opened the fur covering her face where she flinched from the stinging snow that assaulted her.

In but a moment Red had an arrow notched and sent it flying into the creature. Her fingers were quickly numbing in the storm as she sent another arrow after the first. Garulf flung his hammer at the beast, thumping it greatly in the breast, where it faltered slightly in the air.

Will had seen the dark shadow ahead and heard the sounds of combat. He jumped from his horse and rushed forward past Aurorea who was looking around with her weapon drawn. Will quickly passed Jack who was pulling another knife out of its quiver as he wiped the stinging snow from his face.

As Will closed on the beast, it decided that this band was too much for it so it dove down and extended its claws, grabbing a hold of Will. It then flapped its wings madly, sending more stinging snow into his friends as they sent another volley into the beast. It quickly gained in altitude and flew off over the trees away from its tormentors. Everyone on the ground yelled and tried to follow the departing beast which carried their friend away.

Garulf lead the charge forward through the blinding snow when in the sky a bright flash of light illuminated the forest around him followed by an ear ringing boom! Garulf continued to where he though the light had come from to find William tangled in the burned remains of the Gnewft. He grabbed the still smoldering carcass and pulled it off of the struggling Will who then slowly stood up with Garulf’s help, twigs from the tree he crashed through sticking to his iced fur cloak.

Will saluted Garulf and grinned as he got up and yelled over the blizzards winds, “Thanks! That was some fight?!!”

Garulf guided Will back towards the others as he looked back at the blackened remains, a frown on his face. Suddenly, Red crashed through the snow covered scrub bushes and almost plowed into the two as they made their way back. Wet snow coated her wildly flowing hair as the winds blew it around. She stopped short of knocking them down and scanned the sky as she screamed, “Where is the foul beast?”

Garulf quickly rushed to Red and yelled out, “Its dead!” He knew now was not the time to find out what had happened as the cold winds blew snow in his face and down the back of his neck.

He then quickly pulled the furs back around the shivering Red who just now noticed that they had started falling away during the fight. She simply raised an eyebrow at the news that the thing was dead and glanced at the ruffled William.

They quickly made their way back to the horses with Garulf’s help as Grond was busy yelling at those that had remained to stay together in the dangerous weather.

Soon they were back on the horses and moving forward again. No one said anything in the gale winds as they bundled back up in their furs for warmth. Soon, Red was cozy again in her magical furs while the others struggled to keep the frostbite out. They would hopefully reach RavenRock before any of them lost a finger or a toe to the bitter cold.

Another hour of riding and Grond growled to himself. The blizzard had strengthened rather than weaken. He could barely see the end of Mik's nose in it and the direction sense that had never led him wrong in his homeland was telling him they were going the wrong way now. He growled again and closed his eyes, hearing Red's voice in his head, finding his control.

He turned Mik, feeling a denser stand of trees off to their left. Grond didn't bother calling back, they'd never hear him. The fight with the Gnewft as the blizzard had strengthened had pushed them hopelessly off course. Mik snorted and Grond looked up to see the first of the massive pines appear through the snow. As they plodded, the others strung out behind him, attached by their ropes, the trees became thicker and the snow thinned slightly, caught by the branches high above.

Grond worked them into the forest for another hour and stopped. He slid from Mik's saddle and followed the rope back to Garulf's horse. He slapped his friends leg til he climbed down. "Walk the line. Gather the others here and I'll get started on a snow shelter."

"We're stopping?" Garulf asked, surprised. "You okay with that?"

Grond nodded. "Red would haunt me if I froze her to death." He said with a wry smile and made his friend laugh.

"Get on it then. I'll bring in the sheep." Garulf thumped Grond's arm and followed the rope back to the next rider.

Red huddled in her furs atop Savior. She had managed to drape her furs somewhat over Savior's back once she'd felt him start to shiver. It wasn't much but it seemed to help. The trade off was leaving her legs unprotected. They were numb with cold, as was her face and she'd stuffed her hands inside her shirt to keep them warm, trusting Savior to walk without her holding the reins.

The snow was so thick she couldn't see the rider before her or the one behind. The world was white and cold and that was all. Her tired mind had started wandering toward sleep as she rocked in the saddle and she jerked up when she felt a hand on her thigh. Red realized Savior had stopped walking and looked up to see Garulf looking up at her.

"Time to stop Lady thief." He said, brushing a pile of snow from his hair and then felt her leg in earnest, a frown on his face.

Red snorted. "I don't think this is the time or place for that you know."

Garulf laughed shortly and patted her leg. "Stay here. I'll be right back." He vanished into the snow behind her and she vaguely heard voices. A moment later he was back. "Grond's found us a place to rest for the night. Jack's going to bring the rest in. Come on." He scooped her from Savior's back as she protested loudly. He ignored her and carried her through the snow, once more following the ropes until he reached the clearing.

Grond had been hard at work. He had stomped down the snow in a wide circle beneath the sheltering limbs and piled more around it, creating a wind break. In the center he had a fire already started and was feeding more wood to it as they came.

"Her legs are frozen." Garulf said with no preamble and Red punched his shoulder.

"Oi! I can walk! Put me down. I am not frozen!"

Garulf considered arguing with her, she could see it on his face and then he shrugged, gave her a wicked grin and set her on her feet. The moment he let go, she dropped to the snow. Her legs refused to listen to her. "Don't. Say. Anything." Red warned and Grond and Garulf both smothered a laugh. He bent and scooped her up again, taking her to the fire and setting her beside it.

Jack came in through the screen of trees, Will leaning heavily on one side and Aurorea on the other. Jheuloh followed behind pulling the reins of the pack horses. "Room for these two I hope." Jack said cheerfully and maneuvered his charges over, setting them near Red.

"Well at least I'm not the only one." She said in a sour voice and exchanged an equally miserable look with Will as he was forced to use his hands to help straighten his legs by the fire. "How'd you manage to not end up like this?" Red asked Jack and Jheuloh. Jack grinned again.

"We sat cross legged in the saddle." He said simply. "Kept our legs under the furs." Red rolled her eyes making him chuckle.

"We need to bring up the horses now too." Grond said with authority. "Get them all in here or they'll freeze out there."

"Let's go." Jack tapped Jheuloh on the shoulder and Garulf followed them.

"Start rubbing your legs." Grond ordered them. "Get the blood circulating again."

Red didn't argue and tried not to worry that it felt as though she were rubbing someone else's legs, hers were so numb. She was sure if she looked she'd find them blue. She could feel the warmth from the fire on her face and hands as she moved but not yet on her legs. Will and Aurorea were doing the same and shifting them back and forth.

Grond knelt by Red and handed her a flask. "Arlow's best whiskey. You're gonna want this in a minute."

"I don't think I need to be drunk in the middle of a blizzard." Red laughed and Grond set it in her lap. "Trust me. You'll want it." He smiled and went back to his work, stacking up snow between the tree trunks. The wind that had battered them was now almost gone, blocked by the snow and the trees and the warmth from the fire was actually beginning to fill the campsite.

Garulf, Jack and Jheuloh came back leading all the horses with them, leading them to the far side of the clearing and began stripping saddles and rubbing them down. Red dearly wanted to go to her Savior but her legs were still not cooperating. As she thought it, the first feeling began to return under her hands and she rubbed harder.

Pins and needles began to crawl up and down her legs as the feeling returned. At first it was welcome but when it didn't stop, and in fact began to get worse, she started to sweat. Then twitch and finally let out a moan as it became dodwnright painful.

"Red?" Will asked from beside her. "Feeling coming back?"

Red nodded, unable to speak. She was afraid she'd scream and did start to twitch. She hissed and tears sprang to her eyes.

"Take a drink, Red." Grond came past with an armload of snow. "You'll thank me later."

She picked the flask from her lap and fumbled with the cap and finally took a gulp of the fiery liquid, gasping. "That doesn't help." She managed and went back to furiously rubbing her legs. Aurorea crawled over to her on her knees.

"Let me help." She said. The feeling had already returned to hers and had not been nearly as painful. She rubbed one leg while Red worked feverishly on the other and took another long pull from the flask.

"Oh my gods." Red breathed and moaned in relief when Garulf dropped beside her and began rubbing for her.

"Go on, lady thief. Take another drink." He said softly. He'd been half frozen once, with Grond when they were much younger and remembered how much it hurt when the blood started flowing again. Red dutifully pulled long on the flask again and her head lolled to the side slightly to rest on his shoulder.

"She's alright?" Will asked, still rubbing the pins and needles out of his own legs.

"Aye. The drink'll let her nod off while the blood starts moving again." Garulf moved her easily into his lap. "Hurts like oblivion when you're that frozen and the blood comes back. Like being burned alive."

Will saw the knowledge in the man's eyes and looking up, saw it mirrored in Grond's. He caught the flask as it slipped from Red's hand and took a swig himself and then handed it to Aurorea.

"Oh thank you." Aurorea smiled and took a grateful sip, coughing lightly. "Powerful stuff."

-----

Red stirred she knew not how much later, her head pounding from the whiskey and her legs feeling as if they'd fallen asleep. She was wrapped in her furs and tucked alongside Garulf who snored contentedly. She raised her head and looked about the campsite. She was surprised to feel almost warm air breathe across her face and marveled at how Grond had built up the snow between the trees like walls, with the trees themselves acting like a roof. Thick flakes of snow filtered down from above to glint in the firelight before melting away.

She squirmed free of Garulf, needing to stretch her legs suddenly and shrugged her furs open as she wobbled to her feet. Grond looked over from his stool by the fire and grinned as Red made her way unsteadily to him. The rest of the party were similarly rolled into furs and blankets around the fire and the horses huddled together on the other side, snorting happily to each other.

"Feeling better?" Grond asked and Red stuck her tongue out at him.

"My head feels the size of your hammer and my legs are rubber." She grinned. "Thanks."

Grond pulled a small kettle from the side of the fire and a mug and poured, handing it to her. "Tea. That'll set you right."

Red took the cup, warming her fingers on the sides and raised it to her mouth. Grond stared as she simply held the cup there. "Red?"

"Quiet." She lowered the cup, eyes staring out into the darkness over the walls of snow Grond had made. Something had moved. She was almost sure of it. Her senses were tingling with the warning. She dropped one hand to the pommel of her sword, adjusting the baldric to bring it forward.

Grond rose, picking his hammer up from beside his stool. "What is it?" He whispered.

"Don't know." Red said quietly. "Something."

Next to her, Jack suddenly rolled out of his blanket, a pistol in each hand and stood. "Something's out there." He said in a rush. He'd woken suddenly with the certain knowledge he was being stalked.

"Wake the others." Grond said but there was no time.

Grond had left a horse wide opening in the protective wall of snow for the horses. Small, gnome looking creatures that only reached his waist poured through, some riding the backs of Wild Boars. Evil, curved blades raised in the air their battle cry rang through the clearing. A dozen, perhaps more made for those standing by the far. Two echoing reports came from Jack's guns and the lead creature toppled back off his Boar as it slewed nose first into the ground, dead.

"Rieklings!" Grond cried and raised his hammer. "Watch our flank! There'll be more!"

The camp exploded in activity and noise. Will and Garulf leaped from their blankets, weapons at the ready. Aurorea pulled her staff from the gear beside and a ball of lightning blew into the oncoming Rieklings. Jheuloh tumbled back from the snowy wall as another Riekling came scrambling over it. He yanked his bow from his pack and cracked the creature over the head as Will waded into the creatures, sword swinging.

"Will!" Jack called. "You're fouling my shot! MOVE!" Will glanced back and saw the pirate's pistols aimed at him and threw himself to the side. Jack fired again and two more Riekling's died where they stood, a third trampled beneath the Boar of the other. Jack was already reloading, staying in the center of their camp and in a moment fired two more shots at a Riekling trying to take them from behind.

The horses screamed and Red turned to see two of the Boars in among them, another Riekling dancing between the hooves and she flew at them as it aimed it's lethal blade at Savior's legs.

But Red stopped short and shouted, "ATTA BOY!!" as Savior crushed the attacking Riekling with his front hooves - helmet and head caved in - and the small fierce blue creature was flung backwards. As its feet were hooked into the stirrups, its snarling mount twisted back from the force, and turned straight into Galleon's kicking hind legs. Mount and dead rider skidded lifeless, bowling over several of its charging comrades. "HA!!" shouted William, as he faced the broken charge. He stopped and shouted the fierce triumphant cheer, then sprang back as another Riekling came at him from the side, to be quickly dispatched with a parry and a swipe of his blade.

Then from behind her, Red saw a massive ball of flame hit the entire fallen group of writhing attackers. She felt a rush then - a prickling up her back - and without thinking she leapt high as she could, straight into the air. And it was fortunate, for a mounted Riekling was bearing down on her. She escaped it and its weapon, falling down again to a crouch with arrow notched. She let it fly, and the creature spilled from the saddle, to be carried away, one foot still in its stirrup. The boar disappeared into the snowy night.

As Red had run to protect the mounts, Aurorae raced to the other side. A great piece of the wall Grond built had fallen down in the battle. There the woman climbed, until she stood a little above the fray. She drank from a small bottle, as two Rieklings on foot leaped in her direction. Horrified, she felt for her blade, but it had fallen when the attack began.

Then Garulf came, and with a bellow he leapt and swept the two Rieklings into his arms. They fell together, off the pile of snow.

Turning, Aurorae looked to the horses and saw that they had defended themselves. She cast her Heat Blast spell at the fallen Rieklings. Instantly the shelter was filled with flames as the giant fireball exploded into the center of the stumbling attackers. Aurorae sat heavily in the snow. She had drank a potion to heighten her reserves, but still she was spent, her Magicka gone in the casting of the great Blast.

As he defended himself against a single Riekling, Jheuloh felt the flames of Aurorae's fireball. The vicious little thing came at the boy time and again, spitting and snarling at him, and each time, Jheuloh just barely managed to counter its attack. But then his attention faltered, for he was curious about the fire. Jheuloh toppled over a snow-covered stone, landing on his back in the snow.

The Riekling leaped at him. Jheuloh raised his blade to defend. But just then he saw Jack's arm and hand and pistol, very close to him. Jack fired. The Riekling fell atop Jheuloh, its face blown away by the close gunshot. The boy trembled a bit as Jack helped him to his feet with a grin.

Grond smelled pork. He laughed loudly. He held a squirming Riekling in the crook of one arm. He'd disarmed the thing and had dropped his hammer. And he remembered where he dropped it, so he would not lose another weapon. The Nord looked to Garulf, and then felt a sharp sudden pain in his arm. "Ye little runt!!" he cried, for the Riekling had bitten him. So Grond snapped its neck in response. Holding onto the dead thing by two feet - a fleshy dull claymore - the Nord ran to Garulf, and swung the creature's body at those swarming atop Garulf. The prone Nord leaped up and shouted: "Why can't you just fight like a normal person!!!"

Grond laughed again and went to and fro with his twirling gory weapon, and where he went those Rieklings were toppled, to be killed by his friends.

Then the attack was over. All the Rieklings were killed. They moved the bodies out of the broken shelter. And they butchered and cooked the mounts. As the snow began to fall peacefully, but thick and steady, they feasted on wild boar, and drank orange juice.

Newt Bartermann turned and looked back as the Blackwater Stables faded from view behind him. The sun was rising behind the Cheydinhall walls, but he could just make it out in the shadows. No wonder Tamriel means Dawns Beauty. Most men and mer professed to love sunsets, but Newt had always enjoyed the mornings much more.He felt a bouyancy of his spirit today rare even for his naturally optimistic outlook He was aware that something had changed in his life forever. After 10 years traveling Tamriel, he had never spent a week that even came close to the excitement of the last few days..He had aquired 2 Dwemer texts that appeared to be translated into Aldermeris, possibly as important to scholars as Hanging Gardens had been when it was found. He had aquired a Dalvilu Ceremonial Dagger that glowed with a soft blue light, the first he had ever seen. He had heard tales that mentioned some may be enchanted, but he had no idea what the enchantment was on this one, or what it's value.might be. In truth, he was somewhat nervous even carrying it, though it was locked in his small strongbox on the rearmost pack llama. I hate Llamas. If there is a pack-beast more grumpy and mean-tempered I don't want to see it. Spit right in my face this morning. Then tried to bite me when I smacked his furry snout. I sure miss guars while here in Cyrodil. Never will understand why it takes an Imperial license to import them. He had also enjoyed the three afternoons with Mivryna Arano out behind the stables discussing celestial motions. And gained a nice tan on my backside, too!

Facing back forward in the saddle, Newt saw Jazz in the distance. As usual he was ahead, rather than behind. Newt wasn't sure why Jazz traveled with him. As he had told the Cheydinhal Town Guard that had stiff-armed him for a keg of orange juice, Jazz wasn't his, rather he believed the cat thought it owned him! It had caused the guard to burst into laughter, thereby probably saving him from a large fine for selling his wares without a license. Or did he laugh because I told him I am an honest Bosmer?

Lulled by Ogan's smooth casual walking gait, warm with the sunshine on his back, Newt then began to think about that party of seven that had blown through town like a khasim. How the one called Arorae had smiled at him during that afternoon when the group had been bustling around inside and outside Cheydihal. Newt's heart began to beat a little faster as he recalled the melody of her voice. He could count on the fingers of one hand the Mystic Elf females he had ever met; three, and each had made him a little (well, a lot) breathless. The girl they called Red had been impressive looking also, but she had a manner that Newt hadn't liked. Oddly, the others treated her as an equal when she looked like a young girl. Must be more to that story, and I will reserve judgement, Newt decided. Most all of them had been quite friendly, surprising for such a rugged-looking bunch. Jheuloh remained a mystery, as they all did to a large degree. Even the two giants that hadn't spoken directly to him had nodded and grinned. Newt was fairly sure the one named Will was or is a Dark Brotherhood agent. And a for-real, will-agree that I am a Pirate! With pistols ! Newt made a mental note to find out everything he could about pistols. And ammunition, which no doubt would produce a fine profit once he found out how and where to obtain some...

Quite an amazing time I had. I wouldn't trade the last seven days for the Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw; well I would, maybe, but still it had been an wonderful time.

Bringing his mind back to the present with a conscious effort, Newt began to refine his plans for the near future and mentally inventory his remaing goods. He was headed south and west, so no cold weather gear would be needed. He had half a dozen small orange trees still and sixty pounds of coffee. He was sure he could sell the 90 Arrows of Harm he had traded the hermit three rolls of cloth for soon, and he had many hundres of pounds of his ordinary trade goods. As well as four large kegs of his famous orange juice. Newt said a quick prayer of thanks to Zenithar as he did several times a day for his fortunate discovery of a way to prevent spoilage.

Reining to a sudden stop, Newt realized what he wanted to do. He was heading for Anvil, anyway so he would take the Gold Road and see if he could locate that somewhat mysterious tavern his new friends had told him about. And if he did find it, he would plant his remaining six trees near the stable.

"Ogan, my friend, lets move along here now. Things to do, people to see. Jazz, c'mere and get up on your spot on llama one. And quit pretending you don't like riding".

Perhaps the gods looked down upon them with pity, or fate simply had grander plans for them, but by dawn, as the last embers began to fade in the fire pit, the heavy winter storm lost its wind, the clouds parted to reveal blue skies behind the downy cotton, and the sun peeked over the horizon through the trees.

Jack roused when a narrow beam of sunlight broke through the trees, into the shelter and caught him in the eye. The long journey, a belly full of mead and boar, and he rolled over with an irritated grunt and tried to shelter his eyes by burrowing beneath the fur pelt he was under for warmth and into the body next to him. After a minute passed a gentle rap on his head roused him long enough for him to mumble something along the lines of “go way”. The pestering hand roughed his short unkempt hair playfully.

“Oi, sunshine, I’m gonna need that arm,” Garulf’s voice said in a husky whisper, a lilt of laughter in his tone, “no more cuddles now eh?”

Jack’s brain suddenly realized he’d managed to cuddle up to the dragon hunter in the wee hours and every resource was sent on high alert to jolt his body awake. He was on his feet instantly and backing away in a frenzy of stammering and dazed confusion. Garulf had unwound himself from Red who was still dozing on the other side of him and he reached out for Jack as the pirate stumbled back over the fire pit. He managed to remain un-singed for the most part by rolling as he fell but his momentum carried him right out the door of the shelter where he landed on his back in the snow. The scuffling woke Red and she caught Garulf’s arm as he tried to stand.

“What’s wrong?”

“Lover’s quarrel, go back to bed dear,” he said nonchalantly as he stooped to leave the shelter. Jack was still lying on his back in the snow but was propped up on his elbows and shot the Nord an annoyed look.

“Don’t say anything smart now,” the pirate warned him.

“You alright then?” Garulf had a bemused smirk on his face and offered Jack a hand, “Come on now lad, yer a pirate, ye can’t say I’m the scariest thing you’ve ever woken up in bed with.”

Jack accepted the hand up and took a breath as if to argue then shook his head, “No, no you have me there, but let’s just keep this between the two of us eh?”

“You two decide whose turn it is to sleep in the middle?” Red’s voice carried into the moment and Jack rolled his eyes as Garulf’s smirk broadened into a grin.

The lady thief had quickly pieced together what had happened and couldn’t help but take a dig at her seafaring friend. The exasperation left Jack’s face and he squared his gaze on her.

“Why I believe we decided it’s your turn…m’lady,” he grinned charmingly.

Red’s demeanor changed slyly and suddenly she appeared very interested indeed, “Now that…is a very interesting proposition Blackdog.”

He raised an eyebrow as she closed the gap between them, “Is it?” he was trying to read her. This was a trap, but he couldn’t manage what she was up to; she had the best damned poker face of any woman he’d ever met.

Red wrapped an arm around his neck, “Mm hmm,” she said sensually.

Jack looked to Garulf but the dragon hunter merely shrugged, “Why’s that?”

Red purred, “Could only be one reason.”

Jack swallowed, finding Red’s feminine wiles both mesmerizing and unnerving, “And that is…?”

“Distraction…” Red grinned.

A huge snowball pelted him in the side of his head and Jack stumbled over a step. He whipped his head around to see Garulf palming another large snowball.

“Hey! No!” he yelled, but the snowball was loosed and pelted him in the chest. Red laughed madly as she scooped up a pile of snow and tossed an icy projectile of her own at her lover, breaking the snow against his mane of hair.

She didn’t see the snowball that hit her in the thigh, but heard Jack yell, “Harlot!” as he dashed for cover within the tree line. Her face twisted into a determined scowl. She saw Garulf aiming his next at her and she ducked around the side of the shelter as it sailed by, finding a good drift of packing snow around the side of the shelter wall. She giggled to herself evilly as she crouched rolling snowballs. A small avalanche of snow suddenly dumped on her from the tree overhead and she looked to see Garulf’s back as he ran back around the far side of the shelter; having shaken the branches over her. She scooped up an armful of ammunition.

“Oh you rotten oaf,” she scolded under her breath as she chased after him tossing snowballs at his fleeing back. Jack popped up from around the side of the horse shelter and loosed a volley that caught Garulf right in the face and the Nord slipped into the snow. Red caught up to him and pounded a few more into his back where he laid.

“Alright ye killed me, uncle, uncle,” he yelled, muffled by the snow in his face.

Red fairly squealed in delight as a snowball from Jack whizzed passed her ear and she scurried away, back to the front of the shelter. Jack chased her horizontally through the trees whipping snow balls at her, each just missing as she skipped over the snow as daintily as a woodland fawn. Jack came forward from the tree line to launch his last snowball, seeing he had caught her in the open. A snowball hit him in the chest hard enough to knock him off his feet and Garulf roared victoriously at having tossed Jack into the snow. His victory was cut short and he dove to avoid a new assault from Red who looked fit to come back after him with a new round.

The noise of their wintry frolic and merriment roused the others sleeping in the shelter. The sun was higher in the sky and the birds were singing gaily. It was a far cry from the scene the night before, and their hopelessly treacherous trudge through the blizzard winds.

William, Aurorea, and Jheuloh appeared in the doorway of the shelter, watching in bewilderment as their Tavern mates continued to lob unholy ice missiles hither and there. Grond nudged his way to the front of the group and stopped, his jaw falling open at the spectacle in front of him. In this dire hour, when they needed to rise and return to the road to unburden the urgency from his heart, they were running about in the snow like children.

“OI!” Grond shouted pointing at Jack. The pirate stopped mid throw and lowered his arm, his smile slowly fading, “What in blazes is going on here?!” the Nord bellowed, “We’ve been wandering around in circles all night, as far as we know we are still days away from home and this is no time to be mucking around you three,” he put his fists on his hips impatiently. Garulf let his snowball arsenal fall to the ground around his feet in surrender.

“Come on Grondo, even in war it’s good to blow off steam once in awhile,” Garulf offered lightly.

“One thing has naught to do with the other,” Grond growled, “this ent war, yer just playing around out here. Ye could be grooming them horses or hunting for something for us to pack when we haven’t got leisure time to hunt later, and instead ye…” a snowball pelted him in the side of the head bringing his chiding to an abrupt halt. He slowly turned his head toward Jack and the pirate was trying desperately to stifle a laugh and pointed to his right. Grond followed the gesture and saw Red with another snowball raised and a grin on her face.

“The Nord I know would never let someone toss a gob of snow in his face and do nothing about it,” she said daringly.

"Hey, don't ye even think about throwing that, missy," Grond growled.

Red simply launched the next snowball at his chest before scurrying away. Grond managed to dodge it, but the snowball hit Jheuloh square in the forehead, causing him to take a step back and scattering snow across William and Aurorea.

“Why you little,” Grond started after her scooping up a handful of snow as he clamored into the chase.

“See,” Garulf called after him, “Wasn’t us; we’ve just been trying to catch her.”

A snowball hit Garulf and he whipped around to see William loosing another and he dove to avoid it, planting himself face down in the snow again. A volley of snowballs launched at the assassin from Jack’s cover in the trees and the trio in the doorway of the shelter bolted away for cover.

There was no stopping it, the emotional release, the carefree frisk, and pure joy were infectious and they played until all were soaked and shivering, but laughing and reveling in the simple bliss of the game. It had been a long time since any of them had laughed so long and so well. After the great snow war came to an end Aurorea and Red managed to put together a tasty meal of smoked boar, roasted pine nuts, and barley cakes sweetened with sugary syrup. When they had eaten their fill the band went to work breaking down their camp and preparing to resume their journey.

In the clear light of morning Grond was able to regain the bearings so lost to him in the storm the night before. By the luck of the nine, they had managed to make camp only a stone’s throw from Ravenrock. The caravan was underway once more with lighter hearts and clearer heads. Even with his father’s disappearance, Grond felt his heart singing a song in time to the rhythm of the world around him once more; the way the old Nords spoke of a connected spirit lifted in a joyful song.

Many days passed as the band made their way through Solstheim’s often unforgiving wilderness. The stopped in every village along the way as if plotting beacon points through their trail. The story of what happened to Grond’s father had already traveled through storytelling to the southern clans. Each village they passed through offered them good tidings and well wishes on their journey to face, what was quickly becoming, an unspeakable horror in the dark nights.

At long last the trees parted and Grond led his friends into his ancestral home, the village his father and his father’s fathers had called home since the Nords first staked claim in Solstheim. Garulf’s father, Galth met them in the center of the village with a relieved wave and when their horses were safely stowed, he led them to the grand mead hall where they could, eat, rest, and warm themselves by the great fire before beginning their search in earnest.

The Meade hall was warm from the fires crackling all through the hall. Galth was a good host, making sure their plates never emptied. It was just the respite they all needed from the long journey. Many of the villagers wandered about the room, some eating as heartily as they at tables around the outskirts of the hall. Others stood on the balcony to the upper floor of the hall and watched those below.

At last, late in the evening, Galth sat back in his chair and fixed his eyes on Grond. "Son, I wish ye'd come to visit for better news than this." He said sadly.

"Still there's no word of me father?" Grond asked, not looking up from his plate. Galth shook his head.

"Nothing but what Garulf here brought you." Galth looked uneasy then and huffed a breath. "I have learned ought though of...well of your mother." He paused, scowling. "Or what maybe looked like her."

Grond looked up. "You don't think it was?"

Galth raised his arms in a shrug. "Who's to say? It looked like her, but...well. I can only think of one thing she could've been, lad."

Red felt unease spread through her, thinking of the tale Garulf had told them and uttered the word no one else seemed able to speak.

"Undead." She breathed out and saw the slight nod from Garulf's father.

"Aye." He stood and pushed away from the table to pace. "After ye left." He pointed at his son. "I talked to my warriors. They said they saw her come in from the North, through the snows like she didnae even feel them. I sent messengers to the Skaal."

Garulf's brows raised. It was no secret in the village that his father and Tharsten Heart-fang, the leader of the Skaal, did not see eye to eye. The rift, he knew, was on account of his mother marrying his father rather than Tharsten.

"I didn't learn much." Galth growled out. "Tharsten sent word that if I wanted to know something, to send meself next time."

"Son of a Horker." Garulf said and grunted. "So he does know something."

Galth snorted. "Of course he does. You'll have to go. You he'll talk to."

Red looked over to Grond. He'd remained silent and she could see dark thoughts on his face. She put a hand on his arm, feeling the tense muscles beneath. "Grond?" He shook his head. He was still hearing the word Red had said so softly echoing through his head. Undead. His mother. He was seething with a great rage to find whatever foul demon had done such a thing to her and more, to find his father. His hopes of finding him alive seemed to shrink the more he thought on what Galth had said.

He shook his head finally and looked over to Red, giving her a small smile. He wouldn't give up hope. His father deserved better of him. "We need to go to Skaal Village." Grond said clearly, looking up to his friends father.

"Aye. We'll see you have all you need to reach there." Galth looked out at one of the villagers and nodded. "You be careful though. The Shaman says this storm is not yet done with us. Weeks more. Unnatural they're saying but you know Shamans." He smirked at someone on the other side of the hall when a loud snort answered him. "They see unnatural in the price of Mead."

They decided to stay the night in the village. Galth would hear nothing else and led them all upstairs to find rooms to put them in. Garulf draped an arm over Red's shoulders and when his father looked askance at him, he nodded once, authoritatively. Galth's eyes widened in surprise and then a slow smile spread across his face. He came to Red and took her in a tight hug before releasing her to Garulf again.

"Keep him in line, lass. He takes some work does my boy." Galth left them alone with Red laughing and Garulf shaking his head.

"Good thing he doesn't know you better." He pushed a chuckling Red into their room. "Else that warning would have gone the other way." He ducked her swing and kicked the door shut on a laugh.

Grond spent the night in a fitful sleep. Visions of his parents swept through his dreams each time he nodded off and he wondered if there wasn't a message in there somewhere. In the morning, Grond was already in the hall when the others woke. They spent little time over breakfast, now all seeming to feel the same urgency Grond did. In an hour they were mounted once more and headed north to the Skaal village where hopefully they would find more answers. The morning was bright, the sun peeking out from the thick cloud cover but it was easy to see more snow was waiting for them as they went north.