DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tavern Tales: Come on in and Have a Drink! Part VI

DarkRider

Elliot had been somewhat surprised when, a few weeks back, he had returned from selling his loot in Sutch to find the previously bustling tavern empty. He had inquired after the patrons at the bar, and the bartender had explained the situation. Apparently, Eliiot had thought with a grin, he had stumbled into a true adventurers' tavern, and had decided to remain there at least until the party had returned, enjoying a respite payed for by some Ayleid kings whilst hearing stories of the past adventures that had begun in this tavern.

Now though, the group had returned. From what he learned over breakfast, a few of them had dispersed on various peaceful errands, but many were still around. Elliot had never really liked introductions; they made him feel foolish, pushy and awkward. But still, these were very interesting people, and he couldn't stand the thought of having stayed in the same place for all this time just to see them. He entered the cosy common room and glanced around. At one of the tables a man and woman were talking over a pile of maps- that did look interesting, but he thought it wouldn't do to interrupt what looked like a serious conversation. At the bar were another man and woman, chatting light-heartedly over a less than light breakfast, presumably about the past adventure. It seemed a more relaxed discussion, easier to slip into. He wandered over and pulled up a stool,

"Mind if I join you?" he asked the pair.

"Not at all," replied the woman, a beautiful Mystic Elf, shifting slightly to open the group.

"Thank you very much" Elliot replied, "Elliot L'Etoille, pleased to meet you both,"

"Aurorae,"

"Jheuloh"

"Ah, of course, can I get you drinks?" Elliot offered,

The pair gratefully agreed, both being nearly dry.

"So," Elliot said, leaning forward slightly, "tell me about this adventure in the North,"

"How did you..." Jheuloh began,

"Nothing mysterious, Arlow told me when I came back to find the place abandoned," Elliot explained, laughing slightly.

"Ah, I see," said Jheuloh, taking a sip of his drink.

Elliot sat back (as much as one can in a barstool) and listened eagerly as Jheuloh and Aurorae told him about their adventure in Solstheim, interjecting every now and then to ask for more details, congratulate them and the like.

"Well," he said finally, "quite an adventure! It's been nice getting to know you, I expect we'll talk again- I hope I can find a place in the next adventure that shoots out of this place," he smiled, and the two adenturers smiled with him,

"Don't worry," Aurorae laughed, "They're not exactly exclusive,"

"No, it's harder to come in here and not get into an adventure!" Jheuloh added.

"And thanks again for the drinks."

"My pleasure," Elliot replied, "and now I'm off to see how many more people I can meet,"

With that, he rose from his stool and looked around the room again. It was still fairly empty, but the woman he had seen earlier was now relaxing in front of the fire, seemingly deep in thought. Elliot debated whether or not it would be rude to disturb her. He decided probably- but he was enjoying the company of other adventurers, and so he walked over.

"Good morning," he said as he reached the cluster of armchairss by the fire, "Mind if I join you?"

The woman looked up and nodded good-naturedly, gesturing towards an empty armchair.

"You must be Red," he said, as he sank slowly into the armchair's soft embrace.

"Oh you've heard of me?" she asked, and Elliot could not quite tell if it was a serious question or a joke- her espression was very difficult to read.

"Of course. In fact I've heard of little else," he joked. Red chuckled slightly, and held out a hand,

"Nice to meet you," she said, "and you are?"

"Elliot L'Etoille," he replied, shaking the proffered hand. "This is a marvelous place," he added

"Aye, that it is," Red replied, a far-off look, as of many memories, passing through her moss-green eyes. "So what do you do for a living?" she went on, shaking her head slightly,

"Me? Well, if you wnat the official version I 'accquire items of great historical, intellectual and monetary value for discerning scholars and collectors', but really, I make a living by pilfering ancient ruins and selling their contents," he explained, this seemed like the sort of place where he could be honest.

"A treasure hunter, eh? I suppose you could say we're almost in the same line of work," she laughed, "with one main difference."

Elliot saw what she was getting at and laughed with her.

"From what I hear your talents are quite useful in a party of adventurers," he said with a smile.

Red smirked (at least she seemed to) "definitely," she said, "but I wouldn't have survived everything I have without my friends,"

Elliot nodded his agreement, "good friends are hard to come by," he said, with a trace of sadness, "I admire the bonds you people share. The tales I've heard!" he went on, laughing once again, "I think I will stay here for a while, it seems there are some very interesting people,"

"Everyone's welcome in the Tavern," Red assured him, "maybe sometime you would accompany us,"

"I'd like that," he said, a little more eagerly than he had intended, "I've got that itch."

Edited by the-manta

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good friends are hard to come by. Elliot had said. Red ran the words through her mind as she went upstairs to her room and smirked. “Damn right they are.†She muttered and picked up her pace. Her conscience nagged at her for letting Jack take off on his own. Following the Dark Rider when he was of a mind to be lost for a while was not an option but a land bound pirate on his own, now that was something she could manage.

In her room, she quickly restocked her bag of things she’d run out of on their trip, scowling when she found she didn’t have any potions to toss in. “I’ll pick them up on the road.†She said to herself. She looped the strap over one shoulder and the baldric for her sword, Obsidian Rose, over her other. She yanked her coil of rope off the dresser as she left the room, fixing it to the hook on her belt and pelted down the stairs.

Red waved at Arlow as she hit the bottom and smiled when he came over. “Tell Grond and the others I’ve gone after our pirate.â€

“So soon miss?†Arlow asked surprised and Red nodded, flashing a crooked smile. “No time like the present.†She clapped him on the shoulder and headed out, nodding to various people as she did. In the stables, Savior was leaning half out of his stall as though he’d known she was coming and she laughed. “Saw them leave didn’t you boy?â€

Red had her boy saddled and ready quickly. She gave a last wave at the Tavern and took off down the road toward Anvil. There were really only two places for a pirate to start looking for a ship out here, Anvil or Cape Town. They were the nearest ports.

The morning sun was bright in the east as she came out on the gold road, basking the plains to the south in a golden light. Low hung clouds waited on the horizon, promising rain later in the day but for now, she urged Savior into a gallop and the two of them enjoyed the clear, warm morning. There were not yet many travelers on the road. They were forced to slow only twice for laden wagons trundling off toward the Imperial City and near noon reached the turn off to Cape Town.

Red drew Savior to a stop at the turn and glanced down at the hard packed earth and smiled. “Only one set of hoofprints.†She said and turned Savior to follow them. “Has to be Jack.†She kneed Savior into a gallop again and hoped being a couple hours behind Jack wouldn’t make her miss him. Not far down the road Red spied something glinting in the bushes and reined Savior in, sliding from his back. She stalked to where she’d seen it, hand on the pommel of her sword and then laughed. The body of an unfortunate highwayman lay beyond the bush. Not dead but beyond help for some time she was sure. On his forehead was the imprint of a hoof and she chuckled in good humor for Galleon’s aim as she vaulted back in the saddle and set out once more.

----------------

Cape town was bustling when Red rode into town. Several ships bobbed at the docks and Red quickly steered Savior behind the Inn and out of sight. She left him tied there after donning her cloak and went out to track down her errant pirate. Red kept her head down and covered, not wanting her hair to stand her out. She wasn’t sure Jack would mind taking her along but was resolved to not give him the chance to argue.

Walking along the docks she quickly found him. Jack stood on the deck of a transport ship. It rode low in the water as more crates and barrels were brought on board. Jack’s horse, Galleon, was being led aboard as well and down into the hold as she watched. Red smirked and turned away, walking quickly back to the Inn.

As she passed the front doors and a snatch of a tune floated out to her she smiled sadly, missing Garulf and the last time she had come to Cape Town. She shook off the memory and rounded the building to find Savior munching happily at a patch of grass. She tossed back her hood and then stood staring at him.

“This is just not going to work.†Red said critically, eying Savior’s distinctive spots. “He’ll know you in a second.†Savior raised his head at her voice and then seemed to shrug, going back to his grass. A scullery maid came out the back of the Inn then, carrying a bucket. She bobbed a curtsy to Red and went to the well behind the building. Her feet squished into mud at its base as she pulled up a bucket from inside, filled her own and went back inside. Red grinned, then began to chuckle and Savior looked at her again, this time curiously. “You’re not going to like this boy.†Red said and took his reins, leading him to the well.

--------------------------

Jack stood at the rail of the Prince Geldall watching the industry of the deck hands and smiled. Soon they’d be out to sea and a step closer to locating his own ship. He stepped clear of the gang plank as another horse was brought up, it’s dingy brown hide not recommending the small animal. He gave it a disgusted look, wondering who would ride such a thing and grunted when a deck hand bumped into him, crate held high.

“Sorry s’or.†He grunted to Jack without looking as he passed. Jack shook his head and moved to the safer confines of the wheel house while the loading was finished. It didn’t take long. Within the hour they set sail, pulling away from the Cape Town dock gracefully and setting out with the afternoon tide. Jack headed below decks to check on Galleon, not trusting the horse to have left the crew unmolested.

In the beast hold, he found his erstwhile horse whuffling happily at the side of the sad looking brown gelding he’d seen on deck and shook his head. “You have to pick your friends better than this lad.†Jack patted Galleon on the rump and shoved the brown off to the side. “What the?†As he pushed, his hands slid along the gelding’s rump and came away brown themselves. Jack reached back and rubbed at a spot, watching in confusion as a patch came clean, revealing a white hide and black spots.

“I’d get back if I were you. He heard you say that you know.†A familiar voice laughed at him and he turned to find Red sitting on top of a stack of hay bales. She whisked a battered, wide brimmed hat from her head and grinned at him.

“Red?†Jack stared. “What are you..why?†He gestured to Savior who took that moment to shove back and sent him stumbling forward. Red leaped down, still laughing.

“Couldn’t let you go off on this chase all by yourself now could I?†Red tossed the hat away and picked up a bucket and rag from the floor. “And couldn’t give you the chance to leave me behind either.†She swaggered past him to Savior and upended the bucket of water over her horse. Savior snorted loudly and bumped her head with his muzzle.

Jack shook his head as Red starting cleaning the mud from the Appaloosa’s hide. “I’m glad to have you honestly, Red.†He grabbed another rag and went to help her. “You didn’t have to insult Savior’s pride to get on board you know.â€

Red laughed. “Better safe than left behind.†She flung a small gob of mud at him. “So, where are we headed pirate?â€

Grond gave a hearty handshake to William before he headed off into the hills North of Sutch while Will guided his horse into town.

“Good girl, Night!” Will scratched at the place just under her ears that she loved. Being a black horse from Cheydinhal, she was one of the fastest horse races in Tamriel. She was on the aging side but still fast and most important to Will, a wise horse.

William nodded to the city guard as he passed the walls and into the city. He slowly rode through the streets and dropped his black leather armor off for repairs and cleaning. He then made his way to the Black Powder Shoppe, his friends Arwin and Jean were the proprietors and their charming daughter Anna seemed to have a knack with magic.

- - -

Jean looked up from the book she was studying when the bell rang above the door. For a moment she did not recognize the richly dressed gentleman as he entered her store. The fine black silks, velvets and cotton blends along with the mannerisms that only a truly wealthy person could have mastered. The man grinned at her as he bowed to her.

Jean’s eyes then grew wide as she leaped from her chair and gave the man a flying hug, almost knocking him back against the door, “William!”

After the assault, Will and Jean laughed. Jean looked at her friend, “Where have you been this last month?”

William brushed at his clothing to remove the wrinkles from them, “Oh you know me, always off on some errand or another.” He winked at her and got a punch in the arm for his teasing.

The two of them sat in the soft armchairs near the entrance where Will told the tale of rescuing Grond’s parents. As he spoke, Anna came into the room with a tray and two large glasses of iced tea. Will stopped in his narration as he saw Anna. He glanced at Jean questioningly…

Jean sighed, “She had been growing like a weed!”

With the drinks delivered, Anna handed her mom the book she had concealed under the tray. Will noticed there was a pink lace bookmark poking out from the back of the ancient tome. Anna smiled sweetly at her Uncle Will and gave him a hug around the neck and a peck on the cheek. She then curtseyed and rushed back to the back room.

Will once again looked at Jean, “She looks to be about 18 years old now! Do you know if the aging is slowing down any?”

Jean sighed again, opening the book to the page the pink bookmark indicated, “She has been that ‘age’ now for a month, so it looks like the magical aging has stopped. Who knows what effects it will have on her, but her intelligence has grown at the same pace as her aging, thankfully.”

Jean looked down at the book page and whistled, “Were you thinking about getting a bow?”

Will grinned, “I sure am. You have something there for me?”

Jean read the entry from the book, about an ancient bow of some renown. Apparently, it magnifies the powers of the wielder, imbuing the arrows it shoots with magical powers.

“Does it say what these magical powers would be?” Will looked questioningly at Jean.

Jean studied the text some more, turning the page back and forth several times. “No, apparently its dependant on the users own magical abilities and their skill with bows.”

Will sat back slowly in the soft high backed lounge chair. He rubbed his chin in thought, “Does it say where this bow might be found?”

Jean sat back herself, “It looks like it may be a perilous journey into the Jerall Mountains, somewhat North East of the shrine to Hermaeus Mora. It does not specify if the bow is in a ruin, a cave or something else, just a general location.”

Jean then got up and pulled a rather large book out from behind the counter. She opened the book to reveal colored large scale maps of Tamriel. She flipped it to the area specified in the tome and whistled again. “The area appears to be surrounded by tall, impassable mountains. Its probably a good bet that if the bow is there that it still lies there, unlooted.”

Jean scribbled a copy of the bows location on a piece of paper making a remarkably good map to its resting place. “Perhaps there will be a small treasure there as well since the place is so well protected.”

- - -

It was not long before Will was back on his way to the Tavern. He would need to get some supplies before he headed out. And perhaps another day or two of rest. He chuckled to himself as he rode Night down the dusty trail back to the Tavern, he enjoyed the lazy days and soft bed of the tavern perhaps a little too much.

Quinn came downstairs from the Tavern Library, brushing a layer of dust off his leather wrist guards and vest as he came up to the bar. Arlow came out from the back of the house and immediately started drawing a pint of mead for Quinn, sliding the glass across the bar top when it was full. Quinn took a long swig of the brew; the cool mead invigorated the dry passages inside him. He glanced around the room curiously. After the return of many of the regulars the day before he expected to at least see a Nord about the hall drinking off his hangover, but the room was quiet and the chairs empty. As he finished his mead he frowned and dragged the back of his hand across his lips.

“Arlow,” he called the barman back from his chores, “Have you seen the Red lady today?”

The older man nodded, “Oh aye, she left a few hours ago.”

Quinn fairly sputtered, “Wha..left? Where was she going? Did she say when she’d return?”

Arlow raised his hands, “Easy now, boy, easy. You know how them lot are, always off on some quest or another. She’ll be back, you’ll see in a week or two I’d reckon. They always find their way back home here in one piece…more or less,” he grinned and resumed his work.

Crestfallen, Quinn sank onto the nearest barstool with a sigh. It would be weeks before the lady thief returned and by then his quarry may be well beyond his grasp forever. His need was too great; he didn’t have time to wait for her. Guild contact or no, he needed to get to the Imperial City and try to barter with the local thieves guild sponsor for the amulet he’d lost.

With his resolve restored, Quinn stood and headed to his room to pack. He stuffed what was left of the potions Elm had left him into his satchel, along with any other trinkets he might have use for and pulled it over his head before going back downstairs. Arlow was waiting for him with a bit of hard tack and salted beef in a cheese cloth, and a buckskin bladder filled with water. Quinn took the offered supplies casting the man a curious look.

Arlow waved away his expression, “Go on then. You’re no different than the rest, I know that look well enough working here these many years. Safe journey.”

Quinn thanked him with a nod and laid some gold on the bar for his trouble, then headed to the stable to collect Titan. As he rode through the Tavern yard he stopped to look at the Tavern he had sheltered in these last weeks. Arlow had said that sooner or later they all returned; this place truly was their home. He was uncertain if the Tavern held the same quality for him, but if what Arlow said was true, providence would lead him, one way or the other. He kicked Titan into a run, spotting Crevan skittering through the tree line along the path and chasing beside him.

------------------------------------------

It was a long sail to the port town of Wayfare just south of the city of Haven in Valenwood, where Jack had last commanded the Longwinter and where a young bilge rat of a thief managed to get him and his crew consigned to the gallows. Red was the first passenger waiting at the dock when the hold was opened and she quickly retrieved Galleon and Savior from their pens. Galleon followed along merrily, blowing puffs of air playfully into her hair as she walked up the gangplank, leading them out. Savior stamped his feet stubbornly, protesting to being cramped on yet another ship. Red chuckled when he let out a boisterous whinny and snorted so loudly the whole loading crew was startled.

“I know boy, I know, you’ve had your fill of the water for awhile,” she patted him gently, “I’ll see what I can do about that, I promise.”

Jack joined her at the end of the dock where he’d paid their travel tax to enter the providence and took Galleon’s reins from her, “We’ll need to ride for Haven, see if anyone from my crew survived the inquest or if anyone knows what happened to the Longwinter after it was seized. I’ve asked about the port but no one seems to know of her beyond the Haven Guard taking the helm that day and sailing for another port somewhere.”

Red nodded as they led their horses off the dock and mounted up, “Some provinces have undisclosed ports, used by nobles and people rich enough to buy the location for their map.”

“Will take a fair bit more coin than we have between us to wet a palm then, I’d wager,” Jack puzzled, turning Galleon’s head to lead the way out of Wayfare.

“More coin than we have between us right now,” Red corrected turning Savior to follow him, “Haven’s a big city, and from what I hear, the good people there are far from peasantry.”

Jack grinned with a rakish laugh, “True that, m’lady. Off we go then,” he said, kicking Galleon forward down the winding road to Haven.

They’d ridden North for several hours in companionable silence and came in view of Haven near dusk. The street lights were just being lit as they rode through the gates. “There’s an Inn this way.†Jack said and turned Galleon down the cobbled street, leading Red and Savior through a thriving market district where beggars tugged at her greaves looking for a coin and hawkers told of their wares loudly, beckoning to them, trying to entice them closer.

The market gave way to a residential district; houses rose up beside each other. Large and well-appointed, Red almost felt her coin purse purr as she peered in richly curtained windows and the well-dressed strolling down the streets, noses firmly in the air. She smiled happily, knowing she’d enjoy relieving a few of them of some unneeded wealth.

Jack led her further into the city, over a bridge, and soon the wealth and well-tended gardens turned to overgrown hedges and ramshackle houses. Here Red felt more at home amid the poorer and seedier underside of the city. She saw two people on the boardwalk of some beaten down shops and knew, without asking, they were thieves. The way they watched her and Jack as they rode past was the calculating glance of someone deciding if you were worth the trouble. Red pulled her scabbard forward, resting a hand on the pommel and made eye contact with the bigger of the two. His eyes widened for a moment and then he nodded, turning his head away. A tacit sign that he’d decided they were not worth the risk.

Jack came to a stop in front of a building that boasted to be an Inn but which Red thought had once been a storage shed and had a few shaky looking floors added on to it. “Come on.†Jack said and grinned. “Looks worse than it is and I know the owner.†Red slid off Savior and tied him to the post out front next to Galleon, following Jack inside.

Jack was right. Inside the Inn looked better, mostly. The bar was a makeshift affair braced against the low ceiling and lit by candles, small tables cluttered the space and stairs ran up out of sight in the back corner of the room. A round, older woman tended the bar, wiping at the counter with a grimy rag and watched Jack saunter up to her with a brow raised.

“Calico Jack.†She greeted and smiled at him. “You owe me fifty Septims from the last time you were here you old pirate.â€

“Nell!†He wrapped his arms as far as they’d go around her and planted a kiss on her cheek. “Did I not leave it on the bar when I left?†He leaned back finally. “I’m sure I did.â€

Nell snorted and swatted at him with the rag. “You used to lie better.â€

“You used to believe them longer.†Jack replied and motioned Red forward. “This is my friend, Red. We could use a couple rooms for the night.â€

“Don’t suppose you have any on the ground floor?†Red asked, eyeing the staircase and looking back to Nell who laughed loudly, the smile transforming her face with an odd beauty.

“Oh I like her. Aye, I do. Now, sit, have a pint, Septims first.†Nell growled and punched Jack’s shoulder. “I’ll get rooms ready for you.â€

“Nell.†Jack pulled her with them as they took a table away from the few other patrons and she bent closer to him. “Have you heard aught of the Longwinter and her crew?â€

Nell smiled kindly and patted his arm. “Not much, Jack love.†She sat next to him. “Most lived I’ve heard. The rumor is some rich to-do took the Longwinter as spoils along with your crew and sailed out. I’m sorry I don’t know where.â€

Jack sighed and smiled for her. “That’s more than I knew when we started out here. Thank you Nell.†She went back to the bar, brought them two flagons and then left them to themselves.

“Well, we’re going to need some gold to grease the information wheels then.†Red said and took a long pull of the rum in her cup, making a face. “I think Arlow’s spoiled me.†Jack laughed.

“What do you recommend?†He asked finally.

Red smirked. “You get a good night’s sleep?â€

“Not bloody likely.†Jack thumped his flagon to the table and pointed a finger at her. “If nothing else, you can use a look out and my skills at thievery aren’t solely limited to the high seas you know.â€

Red laughed. “You can keep watch, run interference, since we don’t have the time for me to spend weeks staking a mark.†She kept her voice low as people passed their table on the way to the stairs.

“Thought you’d spy a few likely candidates as we came in.†He leaned back and smiled, satisfied as she laughed again.

“More than a few. So many tall trees allowed to grow close to walls.†She shook her head happily, imagining the fun she was going to have that night. “People just never learn.â€

Well, that was interesting. And quite odd. And very, very profitable. Time to find the Tavern. And a bath!

Upon arriving nearby to Fort Sutch, Newt had been met by an Orc named Ulmug-gro-Cromgog and told to hobble Ogan and his two mules in a cul-de-sac behind some large wall remnants. Jazz had taken off immediately when the Orc showed up, proving once again he was a very smart cat.

Newt had taken the precaution of rising the previous night at approximately 2 a.m. and burying his four kegs of powder and various other items some distance from his campsite. He had kept a small amount in a tanned boar stomach he used for items that couldn't stand the wet.

There had been a marauder supposedly watching his camp, but he had been fast asleep and snoring like an Ogre when Newt had crept up on him.

Wonder how he is feeling today. Bet he is staring at the fire, drooling, and scratching his rump. IF he can remember how to build a fire and IF he can remember where his rump is. Good job,Chips, that was a brilliant idea to coat the inside of his pewter mug with that coda flower, heather, and dreugh wax infusion. He will be so stupid and disgusting that for the next three days even his Orc buddies won't come within a mile of him! Gotta make sure to put that in my book someday.

Nearby was a trap-door in the foundation of a destroyed building. Drawing some small comfort from the fact he had been allowed to keep his weapons, he went over to it as he was told. Still, he had gone down into the tunnels beneath it with a heightened sense of dread. He hated the underground with a passion. Once he left the sky behind, his natural optimism vanished almost instantly. His hands began to shake, and his voice climbed in timbre to almost a squeak. It irritated him immensely, but he had never been able to make the slightest progress in ridding himself of his subterranean dread.

The Dwemer had lived underground, and their entire race had vanished!

Following the smelly, armor-plated Orc away from the ladder and deeper into the tunnels had taken almost all the courage he possessed. Newt was scared, but he didn't see any specific danger at the moment, so his resolve to see this mystery through drove him on. Ahead was some knee-deep water. He hated underground water worse than underground dirt. Then the passage slanted upwards, and his spirits also began to rise with the increase in elevation.

Soon to find out what this is about, I reckon.

After many turns that he committed to memory, they finally arrived in a large, better lit, multi-level area. On a small ledge in the distance was a Redguard woman waving impatiently. Ulmog pointed to go to her. Newt made a right and the next left up some stairs to where she was waiting. On a raised stone platform there was a red upperclass bed and on it was a huge Orc that appeared to be dead. After a quick examination, Newt decided he was not deceased, but in some sort of suspended animation. Having heard of a Dark Brotherhood poison that could induce those effects, he hoped the bottle he had brought here would prove to be the correct antidote. Going back to the closest cooking fire, he began to prepare a pot of Willow Anther and Corkbulb tea.

The province of Morrowind was a highly dangerous place, but the Gods in their wisdom had provided it with a bounty of extremely useful herbs.

Mixing the unknown medicine with his tea, he went back upstairs. Using a hollow reed, he gave the comatose Orc small draughts until it was all gone.

Suddenly drained by his hopes; and his fears, he went to the nearest bedroll and fell almost instantly asleep.

He awoke when he realized the huge Orc was dragging him to his feet.....and hugging him!

The smell of 400 pounds of long-comatose Orc and the strength of the bearhug almost ended his life right then, but he survived. That night many marauders from miles around showed up and they had a huge feast. Newt returned to his buried supplies and contributed 12 bottles of cheap wine to the festivities..... They lasted about half that many minutes.

The Redguard woman, who turned out to be very attractive seemed to find Newt irrestible. Taking his hand late in the night as the snores and belches rose in intensity in the main hall, she showed him to a small room she had furnished and maintained for herself.

Waking the next morning, Newt felt so content he completely forgot (for a few minutes) that he was still below gound. Speaking of smells, I always seem to come out smelling like a rose, he thought with a satisfied grin.

Bagamol-gro-Lorbgurnol was the huge Orc's name , and when he saw Newt later that day he proceeded to try to pound him on the back with delight. (Blows that would have broken his spine and every rib he owned).

Crooking his finger, and smiling an evil Orcish smile, he motioned for Newt to follow him. Arriving at an ancient-looking chest in a side tunnel, he lifted the lid and moved aside. Peering into the chest, Newt smiled a very similiar smile and shook the Orc's huge green hand fiercely.

Edited by Nevyngreat

The Tavern came into sight slowly as Night trotted down the dusty path. Birds chirped in the trees as the sun sparkled down through the leaves. A warm breeze blew in from the east and Will thought to himself, these were probably the last warm days of summer as autumn would soon be upon them. If he planned on making the trip north, he would need to head out soon before the winter storms covered the mountains in snow.

As William handed Night's reins to the stable hand, he noticed that Jack and Red’s horses were gone. He inquired of the stable boy when they had left and learned they had rode out not long after he had this morning. Will looked down the road and silently wished his friends a good journey.

Taking his riding gloves off, he patted at his clothing to brush the road dust off them and entered the Tavern. A number of familiar faces greeted him as he made his way to the bar for a drink to quench his parched and dusty throat. He also noted a few new faces who glanced his way as he ordered a drink from Wilson. He then turned and surveyed the room.

Wilson wiped the bar behind Will and whispered into his ear, “The Breton sitting at the table there, with the dirty blonde hair and boyish looks has been asking around the Tavern and says he’s a treasure hunter. He goes by the name of Elliot.”

Will nodded as he took another draught from his mug. He then quietly sauntered over to the table where the Breton sat, sipping on a drink of his own.

Elliot was a little depressed. He had though he would find some adventure, but mostly loot by hanging out in the Tavern he had heard so much about. Tales of grand adventures and more treasure than you could spend in a lifetime had raised his hopes pretty high, but so far, it was just so much smoke, he thought to himself.

Finally noticing a shadow over him, he looked up and was startled to find the newcomer looking down at him with a look that Elliot could not figure out. He watched as a slight grin instantly formed on the strangers face and then was gone like a zephyr.

“Hail good friend!” Will said as he reached his hand down and gave Elliot a firm handshake. “Mind if I join you?”

Elliot, still a bit startled by the man’s sudden appearance unconsciously reached up to shake his hand. The man then sat down across from him and introduced himself.

“My name is Will. I hear your looking for a little adventure and perhaps some treasure?” Will then took a drink from his glass as he raised one eyebrow, looking at Elliot.

Once the initial shock of the man's sudden arrival wore off, Elliot smiled broadly, and broader still when the words "adventure" and "treasure" appeared.

"Pleased to meet you," Elliot replied, "I'm Elliot. Oh definitely, yes, sotry of my life," he went on, taking a draught of his mead. The man's name suddenly bounced back to the front of his head as he remembered a great number of the tales he had heard.

"Wait. Will, as in, Sir William?" he sputtered, he caught himself before he lost too much of his composure, "sorry, I just thought you'd be..." he caught himself again, before saying 'older', but a certain something in the man's eyes suggested he had predicted the last word. He must get it a lot.

"Yes, that's me," was his simple reply.

"So what did you have in mind?"

The assassin gave a brief description of his recent need for a bow, and the promising lead he had in the mountains. It meant a difficult trek, an untouched and probably hugely dangerous ruin, and a potentially excellent haul at the end. The young treasure hunter could hardly refuse. It was agreed that they should head out as soon as possible; they could not afford to wait too long, as William suspected the snow would arrive soon, making the journey into the mountains all but impossible.

After a good night's rest, Will and Elliot prepared their gear and, with plenty of rations from Arlow, headed out to the north east. Elliot still found himself less than at ease with William, and at first the ride was oppressively silent. it was strange that Elliot should be bothered by silence; he never minded it when he was alone, but somehow, when someone else was right beside him, he felt as if he ought to be talking. Soon enough though, the rugged landscape of the Colovian Highlands took his mind off of the silence, and he quickly relaxed. He gazed out over the craggy hills, coated in the dry, patchy grass that filled the region, occassional trees breaking up the landscape. Whilst lacking the traditional beauty of the Great Forest or the Gold Coast, Elliot felt that the Highlands' walls of bare, weatherworn rock held... He was jolted from his reverie by the distinct sound of a throwing star whistling over his head. There was an agonised cry and a distinct thud and, turning in his saddle, Elliot watched a bandit archer tumble down from his vantage point on a high rock wall.

"Wake up boy!" came a yell from William.

Wlliot didn't need telling twice; he should have been paying attention, this was a perfect ambush location. He drew his shortsword and leapt down from his saddle, he had never mastered the art of horseback fighting. Two more bandits dashed from their hiding place in a sparse wood on the opposite side of the wood, flashing their axes viciously. Elliot ducked under the first clumsy swing and made ready to attack the bandit from inside his guard, but at the crucial moment his foot slid an inch to far and he fell to the ground. He tripped the bandit as he went though, and was quicekr to his feet. He spun on the balls of his feet, aiming to take out the other bandit while the first recovered, but William had got to her first, along with, Elliot noticed with some embarassment, another bandit. Not wasting any more time, the young Breton swiftly dispatched the first attacker. Elliot exhaled deeply, and turned tpo his new travelling companion. He could feel the blood rushing to his cheeks as the master assassin finished wiping off his blade and looked at him.

"Er.. sorry," he said, somewhat lamely, he mentally kicked himself for making a bad impression and nearly getting himself killed, "I suppose I get a bit... distracted when I'm not on my own..."

William's expression was unreadable- Elliot couldn't tell if he was angry, annoyed or amused, but they soon mounted their horses and set off, with Elliot's thoughts a great deal more focussed.

Edited by the-manta

Aurorae sat at the table eating breakfast and thinking about her latest adventure with all her new found friends here at the tavern. In ones and twos everyone began to go off on their own. "So many adventures;" Aurorae thought. "I wish I could go with them, but I have so much to catch up on since I've been gone." As she was about the get up, Wilson came by.

"Miss Aurorae, can I get you some more food or drink?" asked Wilson.

"No thank you Wilson. I feel like a turkey that's been fattened up for a huge meal already." Aurorae said with a muffled groan. "Wilson!" Aurorae said as he began to turn away. "I'll be heading back home here shortly. I surely could use some of your delicious traveling vittles for the trip. If you'd be so kind."

"Why certainly Miss Aurorae." Wilson said. "I'll have them ready when you are ready to leave."

Aurorae flashed Wilson one of her best smiles. "Thank you Wilson. I'll be off to get my gear." Aurorae said as she headed toward the stairs to her room.

While packing her gear Aurorae thought to herself; "You know Aurorae, this being alone all the time isn't all it's cracked up to be. Admit it, you've enjoyed yourself with these folks here. Some may be less than fine upstanding folks, but you have to admit, they look out for each other and none of them think they are better than anyone else like most of those high bred city folks."

Aurorae finished packing her gear and headed down the stairs. Wilson had her traveling supplies sitting on the counter waiting for her when she went to settle up her account. "Wilson my friend, how much do I owe you for everything?" Aurorae asked.

"That'll be 15 septums Miss Aurorae." Wilson said.

Aurorae reached in her traveling cloak and withdrew the coins and gave them to Wilson. "Wilson;" Aurorae said as she reached once more in her pouch; "Here's a couple more for you. Thank you for all you have done for me during my stay here."

"No! Miss Aurorae, I can't accept that." Wilson said.

"But I insist." Aurorae said. "Before I left with Grond and the others on our adventure and I was very sick, you were so kind to me. I know you went out of your way to help Arisis get some of the herbs and potions. I couldn't possibly leave without leaving a small token of my appreciation." Aurorae said with a broad smile.

Wilson shuddered; "But, but...."

"I insist." Aurorae said with a look that told Wilson there would be no further discussion.

"As you wish Miss Aurorae." Wilson mumbled. "It has been a pleasure having your company grace the tavern. I hope that we see you again soon?" Wilson asked.

"Yes, my friend Wilson. I have some business to attend to, but I will be back as soon as I can." Aurorae said. And with that she gave Wilson a small bow and headed for the door.

When Aurorae reached the door, she turned back to look over the tavern and the few occupants that were still left. "Yes, I will be back. This feels like home." Aurorae thought to herself.

Aurorae went to the stable where Eureka was pacing back and forth in his stall, anxious to be on the road again. Aurorae packed her saddle bags with her supplies and she and Eureka went out of the stable and headed down the dusty road that would take them to the Gold Road.

As they began to round the first bend that would take the tavern out sight, Aurorae stopped Eureka and looked back upon the tavern. "Yes." Aurorae said to no one in particular. "So many friends and so many adventures await our return."

Jack sat at an outdoor table in the courtyard of the café they had chosen as their mark. Upscale clientele chatted happily at the tables around him. The courtyard was richly decorated, not brightly lit as the brick walls of the café itself seemed to soak up the light from the hanging lanterns. Red had smiled and nodded when he’d pointed the place out as a likely font of information and money. She’d told him to go get a table and she’d catch up.

They had visited two of the more opulent homes the night before. In the darkness Red had scaled the walls like an acrobat. She had been judicious, taking only a little from each, enough to not raise an alarm and have guards looking for thieves in the night. Not enough to get them the information they needed though. Red had suggested lightening the pockets of wealthy marks and he in turn suggested a busy restaurant where purses would be full before the bills came due.

It had been near an hour now as he scanned the street beyond the courtyard, looking to see if she was coming. Another pint of honeyed mead was deposited at his elbow. “Thank you, m’lady.” he said absently.

“Don’t mention it.”

Jack whipped his head around and stared slack-jawed as Red grinned crookedly at him, tossed a flirty look over her shoulder and sashayed away, tray held high in her left hand. She had somewhere managed to acquire a barmaids dress and he had to admit, as she swayed to the next table, hair flowing at her shoulders and leaned in a calculated manner over the portly gentleman there, it worked for her. He then began to chuckle and smothered the laugh in his mug. As she took her tray on to the next table, he knew the gentleman would find himself short a few Septims later in the evening from the deft pick he’d seen her make, and hoped he’d think he got a view worth the price.

Over the course of the next hour Red made the rounds of the tables, chatting with some, and filching from others. Finally she came back to Jack’s table and gave him a nod before vanishing toward the bar. He took his cue, tossed a few coins on the table and made his way out. Red met him down the street shortly after, back in her own clothes and a satisfied smile on her face.

“Well now, Pirate,” she tossed a heavy coin purse to him, “I think we can afford to grease a few tongues with that take.”

Jack shook his head, laughing and tucked the pouch away. “You do beat all girl.” He said finally. “Come on. I know a few places where we might find someone willing to talk.”

-----------------------------------

Finding information in Haven would prove more difficult than they had anticipated. It seemed the nobles who held power in the city ruled with an iron fist and a fast execution schedule. By the following evening, Red and Jack had all but given up hope of finding a lead. They returned to Nell’s to refit their plans, and their hostess happily plied them with fresh ale and warm bread with butter squash butter.

A long quiet had fallen between them in the last hours and Jack and Red found themselves staring blankly into their flagons wondering what avenue to take next. Red could see the worry creasing Jack’s brow, he was uncharacteristically distracted by his thoughts, but she was hesitant to speak on it for fear of making things worse for him. There wasn’t a single lead on the Longwinter to be had. Those who were willing to talk knew little and those who knew more seemed afraid to break their silence for fear of the rope. Before either could speak a word, a shadow suddenly fell over the table, and they looked up to see an imposing figure of a Redguard standing beside the table.

“Mind if I sit in?” he asked, lowering himself into the empty chair.

Red pushed her mug away, “This is a private party.”

“Fine, that’s the way I like it,” he said undaunted, “Folks say you two have been asking a lot of questions around the borough.”

Red eyed him suspiciously, despite his easy manner he had a way about him that reeked of a Legion spy, “I think you have the wrong table, sir.”

Jack coughed on his mug mid swallow, “Hold on now…,” he started to argue with her.

“Maybe I have,” the Redguard answered, not breaking the staring match he and the lady thief had become locked in, “but I’d wager you’ve found yourself on the wrong side of the law a time or two.”

The pirate snorted, “Or three.”

Red elbowed her companion before leaning forward on the table, “What’s piqued your interest?”

The Redguard shrugged, leaning back in his chair, “Money. Same folks said you’d pay well for information on the Longwinter’s berth.”

At the mention of his missing ship, Jack turned serious, “You have any information worth the gold?”

“How much gold are we talking?” the Redguard took Red’s abandoned flagon and finished it off.

“If you know where the ship is,” Red began, her face wrinkled in annoyance, “whatever your asking price is we’ll come up with the gold.”

“Pilfered from the cafes on high street?” he asked, allowing a passing wench to refill the mug he still held.

Red’s internal warning system went off. He’d been following them, and they hadn’t noticed, “Stop toying with us, Legionnaire,” her dagger was already in her hand under the table.

The Redguard was not intimidated, “Easy, there isn’t any call for bloodshed in front of these good people,” he motioned to the patrons around them, “and my Legion days are far behind me. I only followed you to see what you were up to and why you wanted the information.”

“We’re looking for my ship, the Longwinter was stolen from me by a fat noble in a feathered cap,” Jack growled coolly, “So do you have anything we can use or not?”

“That depends on how far you’re willing to go in,” the Redguard explain, “let’s just say, I have a bit of business with the fat nobleman in question, and I happen to know where he is and that your ship is with him. Trouble for me is, he’s a bit paranoid these days and surrounds himself with a fair army of bodyguards. That’s where you two come in.”

Red sheathed her dagger, “This wasn’t about money at all.”

“There you have me,” the Redguard admitted, “I’ve already been paid. What I need is an extra hand or two with a vested interest. You help me clear out the bodyguards and I’ll take you to your ship. Do we have a deal?”

He offered his hand and Jack took it willingly, “Sounds fair, I’m Jack Rackham, and this is Red.”

“Carter Cadlew,” the stranger introduced himself, polishing off the rest of his drink, “we can head out, whenever you two are ready. I’ll wait for you at the stable outside the city gates,” he stood and headed out of Nell’s place, leaving the two friends bewildered in his wake.

“Well, Bootleg always said sometimes life just happens to you,” Jack reviewed with a shrug, “at least we now we have a lead.”

“An all too convenient lead,” Red reiterated darkly, “I don’t trust him Jack.”

“Well you don’t have to trust him my darling,” the pirate stood up from the table, “actually, it’s probably better that way.”

-----------------------------------

Outside the city, Red and Jack claimed their horses from the stables and led them out to the road where a solitary lamp hung on a post cast the last dim light for miles around. Just beyond the edge of the lamp light, Carter was perched atop a brutish looking dapple gray gelding on a very worn, but well kept Legion saddle; the Imperial crest was just visible before his knee, etched into the heavy leather. Red mounted up on Savior and kneed to pony up to the Redguard with Jack just behind her on Galleon.

“Fine looking pony,” Carter said in quiet esteem, motioning to Savior, “bet he never runs from battle.”

Red shook her head, “Not my boy.”

Carter nodded, “Good, because there will be plenty to be had on our road. The Longwinter is berthed at Pearl Cove, but there’s only one way in from either side; our pass is through the canyon behind it. You’ll want to keep up; they say folks who get lost in that canyon stay lost.”

“You seem to know a lot about what ‘they’ say Mr. Cadlew,” Jack noted almost sullenly as he pulled Galleon up beside Savior.

Carter chuckled, “Pays to listen. Keep your eyes up both of you, the woods ahead are crawling with spriggans,” he cautioned before kneeing his steed toward the road at a canter. Red and Jack cast an inquisitive look at one another as if to set in stone their decision to follow. Red nodded first, though her expression was grim and Jack returned the gesture before they kicked their steeds forward to follow.

The Redguard maintained a steady pace, not too fast, but fast enough to cover decent ground. It was an easy pace for Savior and Galleon who were accustomed to hard rides. As the sky was just beginning to lighten they could see the sky overhead had become overcast throughout the night, and a brisk breeze was blowing through the dense woods on either side of the road. Savior seemed to almost be skipping at times, snorting and tossing his head merrily when the wind would catch his senses just right. Red patted his neck and gave him more of his rein, settling in her saddle as he moved up alongside Carter.

“We’re almost to Harrow Camp,” he said to her casually, “we can stop there to water the horses and rest a bit.”

“How many watering holes are between camp and Pearl Cove?” she asked, knowing the canyon would likely be dry.

Carter shrugged, “None,” he replied evenly, “Unless of course it rains, then most of the canyon will be flooded.”

Red laughed, “of course.”

Two gunshots rang out behind them causing their horses to scatter a bit from the sudden explosion. Red spun in her saddled as she pulled Savior to a stop and managed to get his head around. Jack had both pistols pointed at nothing on the ground before him.

“Bear!” he called to them, only seconds before a haunting giggle floated through the trees around them on all sides.

Carter brought his horse up beside Savior, “Damn, spriggans.”

"Boy, do I need a bath." Ogan flicked his ears back and then sneezed loudly. One of the mules roped behind sneezed, too. " I know, it's pretty bad." said Newt, beginning to laugh so hard it hurt.

He was very glad to be heading back towards the Gold Road. His reluctant adventure in the bowels of Fort Sutch, ( well, all of it hadn't been reluctant ) had boosted his self-confidence with it's successful conclusion. The item Bagamol-gro-Lorbgurnol had given him was beyond belief. To actually posses King Orgnum's Coffer ! Strange that it was in Cyrodil. He was aware that it could, and would disappear unpredictably, and he certainly didn't need the gold. But what a thrill to actually be able to touch a truly legendary artifact.

Newt loved the lore of Nirn, and as a bona-fide "Finder of Antiquities" spent most of his travel time lost in thought about the long history of Mundus. He knew that the Coffer had been seen in the past in the Summerset Isles and in High Rock. This might be the furthest east it had ever materialized. He imagined, though many times in the past it had been found by someone who never told anyone they had it.

Imagine being able to keep that secret. Bet no Wood Elf ever had it without telling someone!

To the south he could see a large estate. Pretty fancy place. I wonder what's going on here? Knocking on the ornate front door, it was answered by an attractive, richly dressed Dunmer woman. She had been civil, but hadn't invited him in. She had told him to help himself to anything from the extensive vegetable garden, though. As he was leaving, he had checked the several slave cabins on the property, but they all were empty. This is somewhat mysterious; maybe I'll stop here on my next trip east. Could be she is a widow in need of some......consolation.

According to the group of adventurers he had met in Cheydinhal, he was sure he was near the Tavern they had told him of. Continuing south and east, he entered a large meadow. In the distance he saw a thin curl of smoke rising. Campfire or Inn, I wonder. Getting closer, he saw a large building behing a huge spur of land. Closer still and he recognized the Brina Cross Inn. He had stayed there several times in the past, so he decided to stay again tonight and get that bath he so desperately needed. Unsaddling Ogan in the paddock, and removing the packs, kegs, and orange trees from his two mules, he and Jazz went inside. As usual, his old friend Cristophe Marane was behind the counter. It was a little known fact that Chris taught blunt weapon skill, and after his bath and a hearty meal, they had a vigorous practice session. Newt preferred bladed weapons, but he knew any skill learned would always prove useful. Afterwards, he and Arielle Jurard took a walk, as was their custom when he visited.

Rising early the next morning, Arielle brought him a message on a scroll from Foroch, the owner of Gottshaw Inn. He requested Newt visit at his first available opportunity to discuss a possible business deal. Foroch had considerable business savvy, so Chips decided to backtrack and go see him this very day.

Leaving his mules at Brina Cross, he and Ogan headed east at a gallop. Having been some time since letting Ogan have his way, Newt marvelled anew at the speed of his big black friend. " By Jephre, Ogan, you run like the very wind itself." Looking back, he could see Jazz falling steadily behind. "We'll let him catch up in a bit."

"Ok, Ogan. Thats enough for now. I'm gonna collect some plant materials, you can walk awhile, and fishface can catch up to us."

This section of the Gold Road was described as an Alchemist's Dream, and it truly was. Aloe Vera and Lady's Mantle grew in profusion in this area, excellent for making restorative potions.

Suddenly Newt noticed a dirt road leading into a large meadow towards a forested area in the distance. I've never seen this turnoff before, and I have passed this way, umm, at least a dozen times. This must be the way to the Tavern that group told me about! I've been all around it since leaving Fort Sutch! I wonder if they are there and how they are doing? I would like to get better aquainted with them, listen to their adventure stories, and I promised them an orange grove of their own !

Edited by Nevyngreat

Jack slid from Galleon’s back and drew his sword. Red kneed Savior back to him, pulling Obsidian Rose free and leaped down beside him. “They’re in the trees.†She said and took two steps to the edge of the road and stopped. She looked back to Carter. He was off his horse as well, eyes scanning the woods with a look Red understood.

“Go on, Red.†Jack gave her a push. “He’s not going to knife me in the back while you’re gone.†Red grunted, not quite agreeing and stalked into the treeline with a last glare for Carter, who had yet to draw a weapon and that made her wonder as well.

Red slipped into the trees, sliding between them and used the distinctive giggling sound to lead her to the nearest Spriggan. She didn’t know how many there were but killing one was a good way to find out and she smiled dangerously. The laughter rose up again and she heard the roar of another bear from the road and Jack’s voice as he attacked it. She followed the sound, keeping low, using the bushes for cover and was rewarded.

Ahead of her a Spriggan stood, raising her arms and Red saw another bear materialize and bound toward the road. She rose quickly, sprinting to the creature before it had time to react and brought her sword up, severing an arm. Red spun quickly and whipped her sword back to send the Spriggan’s head into the brush, cutting off its cry of alarm. The snap of a twig behind her let Red know she was not alone. She continued the sweep of her sword and checked herself with a surprised squeak.

Carter stood behind her with a second Spriggan. His fist rested against its neck, a blade protruding from the other side. He withdrew his hand, the blade coming with it and Red saw it was connected in some way to his arm beneath his sleeve. The Spriggan dropped to the ground and Carter turned to look at her with a small smile. A flip of his wrist saw the blade vanish from sight. Red didn’t lower her sword, something about him made her itch. “Thanks.â€

“You still don’t trust me.†Carter said quietly and Red smirked, stepping back.

“You haven’t given me a reason to yet.†She replied and turned and jogged back through the trees to find Jack. Carter laughed and followed her, wondering if she realized she’d turned her back to him easily.

Red broke from the trees and found Jack with two Spriggans. She watched as he spitted the one on his right with his saber, drew a pistol and shot the one his left, dropping both. Red chuckled and came to a stop beside him. “Having fun?â€

Jack snorted and set to reloading his pistol. “Suppose that’s all of them?â€

Red opened her mouth to reply and two black bears trundled from the trees on the other side of the road, two Spriggans behind them. “Nope.†She said and lunged for the nearest as it spun towards her horse. Savior, unfazed, reared up and brought both his front hooves down on the creatures head with a crack. One of the bears roared and vanished in a puff of smoke and Red laughed. “That’s my boy.â€

Jack ran the second Spriggan through as two knives thunked into the head of the bear rushing toward him. The bear slumped to the ground and disappeared as the Spriggan on Jack’s saber fell backward dead.

Carter jogged out onto the road and scooped up his knives, slipping them back where’d they come from and whistle once sharply. His horse came trotting up to him and he swung up into the saddle. “Fun’s over. We need to get to camp.â€

“Fun.†Jack shook his head and pulled himself up on to Galleon’s back as Red vaulted into Savior’s saddle and patted her boy on the neck.

“Well it does keep a long ride from getting dull.†Red grinned at him as they turned to follow Carter again. She watched the Legionnaires’ back ahead of her and wondered again what it was about him that made her want to keep a dagger handy.

Harrow Camp was a gathering of small lean-to type shacks circling a fire pit hidden a few yards from the road in a clearing of trees. The surrounding brush kept the camp completely concealed and it served as a good vantage point for bandits and highwaymen. Fortunately, the site was abandoned when they rode in and they quickly had a fire started and the horses turned loose to graze nearby. The sun had nearly finished its slow descent behind the heavy clouds that had grown darker in the last hours. Thunder rumbled lowly overhead and the crisp breeze that had snipped at them throughout the day had begun to bite.

Red knelt beside the fire to warm her hands and Jack was crouched on the opposite side of the pit feeding kindling into the flame bed. Her eyes drifted to the trees beyond him where the sunlight had all but faded to black. Carter had left them to setting camp, muttering something to Jack about a strong fire warning other travelers this camp was claimed and should be avoided, before he disappeared into the surrounding woods.

"What is it?" Jack asked, seeing a concern etched into her face that was becoming all too common.

Red shook her head, "I was thinking about Haven, about how Carter followed us without our knowing. I've been mastering my stealth skill all my life and it isn't often someone manages to sneak up on me. It’s a bit unnerving."

"Aye," Jack nodded, "as long as we're speaking frankly, it makes me a bit unnerved he snuck up on you as well. I rather count on you to detect those sorts of ambushes before I get killed," he said grinning at her with a wink.

Red laughed; he was playing she knew, trying to lighten the shroud that seemed to have cast over them since they began traveling with the Redguard. She marveled at his uncanny ease with this newcomer; Jack had grown up in the dark underbelly of society where thieves and murderers were commonplace and it showed in his unrelenting swagger. She had as well though, and for the first time, Red began to realize just how much she had changed since arriving at the Tavern so long ago. Her memories before she was reborn were often dim, but as her eyes drifted briefly to the fire, flickers of light broke into the shadows of her mind illuminating a black hand.

The lady thief suddenly stood and strode into the woods beyond Jack without a word, seeming oblivious to his questions and protests as she passed him. With the fire in camp fading behind her she walked through the woods soundlessly. Her training had long faded into instinct as she carefully placed each foot without slowing her pace. In the conscious part of her mind she argued that she was merely going to check on the horses, but deeper, her mind wondered where Carter had gone and whether or not he was lurking in the darkness just out of sight and waiting for her.

When the woods opened before her again she saw Savior and Galleon grazing on the grass that was growing alongside a wide babbling stream. Her eyes immediately caught a flutter of movement and she spotted Carter at last. He was standing in the stream up to his thighs and beside him, his steed stood unsaddled with the last dusky daylight shining down on them despite the clouds. The horse’s head was bobbing up and down and occasionally turning to nibble at his master as Carter swept handfuls of the cold water over the horse’s front leg. She studied him for a few moments until she noticed by his carriage he knew she was there. Seeing no sense in lurking any longer, she sighed, and walked down to the water’s edge; Savior trailing behind her for a drink.

“That’s better now isn’t it Flint old boy,” she heard Carter say as he patted the horse’s shoulder.

“You call your horse Flint?” she asked, crouching at the water’s edge to pluck some sweet reeds for Savior to munch, her tone as friendly as she could muster.

Carter nodded without looking back to her, “I do.”

Red cocked her head toward him, “Is he lame?”

“No, just a bit of swelling in an old wound,” he explained, leading Flint out of the water and turning him loose in the grass with a pat to his broad neck, “Ever see what a wild boar tusk can do to horseflesh? It’s not something that ever heals like new, but the water’s helped, and by sun up he’ll be ready to get back to the road.”

“I was looking for you,” Red suddenly confessed, surprising herself more than her company. She stood slowly and found him looking at her with a raised eyebrow, but his expression unreadable, “The nobleman you’re going to see…it’s a contract isn’t it? You’re an assassin.”

His expression only shifted slightly, “You aren’t really asking me. You know what you know and you believe what you believe.”

“Then it’s true,” she replied.

Carter shrugged, “If you say so,” he bent over and picked up a line with several fish strung on it that was lying on the shore and started back toward camp, pausing to look back at her, “You coming?”

Red nodded blankly but watched him disappear into the tree line before she started to follow after him. Being in his presence did something to her; memories she couldn’t yet grasp were stirred, her senses and feelings unbalanced with no rationale and no reason she could fathom. She started to wonder if Jack might be better off without her, but she pushed away the thought of going home. She wouldn’t leave Jack alone to his quest, especially not with a strange man as his only ally; a man she was certain was a killer even if she couldn't yet prove it.

-----------------------------------------------

By first light they were back on the road and followed it through the countryside in Valenwood until the trees began to fade away to the dry clay walls of the canyon pass. Though the skies were finally visible beyond the fluffy clouds, it had rained through most of the night and parts of the canyon floor remained flooded and slick. The curves and bends were tight and diverged along many paths, as Carter had foretold it would be easy to get lost. The Redguard was calm and rested easily in his saddle. Though Savior and Galleon had trouble finding good footing, Flint walked it with a steadfast certainty; a cavalry patrol horse if ever there was one.

After the canyon had all but swallowed them up, Carter simply dismounted without warning beside a group of scrub bushes and residual boulders, and draped Flint’s rein over the branches of the nearest bush. It was becoming clear he had scouted this pass before, perhaps many times, in rehearsal for this moment.

“We’ll leave the horses here,” he said quietly, “the cove is just beyond that next rise and there’s no way to get them onto the docks once the pass closes tight.”

Jack and Red dismounted and followed to finish the canyon trek on foot. When the looming stone finally opened it was through a slit in the rock so narrow they barely fit through. On the other side they found themselves sheltered in a paddock of crates and barrels stacked over their heads. Between the crates Red spied a large complex of docks and plank ways along the whole land bound edge of the canyon wall. There were two ships docked in the cove, and one was easily the Longwinter as Carter had promised. The canyon walls stretched out to sea in an arc forming a land barrier between the cove’s bay and the open water; only a small stretch of the rock was washed away creating a narrow water pass for one ship to sail in or out through. It was a perfect hideaway for pirates, but it appeared to have been taken over by powerful nobles playing seafarer.

Jack pulled his spyglass from his waistcoat and peered down to the deck of his ship. He could see the nobleman who had sentenced him, a stodgy Duke called Ansis, strutting about near the helm. Along the deck he spied several members of his old crew, and though shackled as slaves, they were alive and still his men. He collapsed the spyglass and nudged Red motioning to the end of the crate paddock. They would need to make their way down and get as close to the ship as they could without alerting the guards. Otherwise, the Longwinter might just raise anchor and sail away before they could get close enough for any of them to sate their missions. Carter moved to the left through an opening in the crates as Red and Jack stayed to the right where they could see the paddock opened onto a ladder to a lower level. Just as they neared the ladder, a porter came around the corner carrying a sack of grain and froze in his tracks when he saw them.

“Wh-where did you come from?” he asked fearfully.

Red raised a hand calmly, “It’s alright, we’re just looking for a way out of the canyon,” she lied.

The porter seemed to hesitate as if he couldn’t decide whether he should believe the two rogues or sound the alarm. Suddenly he turned on his heel, Red moved to bring him down, but before she could reach him, or a word could escape his lips, a steel shaft was through his throat and his escape halted. Red stared at the tip of the blade; in a moment of surreal stillness she watched the porter’s blood drip slowly off the flawless edge and splash onto the wooden planks below their feet. The blade retracted and the man fell to the ground at her feet in a silent heap.

Carter was standing before her; he had come around through the maze of crates, likely looking for just such a porter that might give them away. She stared up at him, his face betraying no flicker of emotion for the life he’d just taken. She seethed inside, knowing she could have stopped the porter without killing him if only she’d been faster off the mark.

“Never hesitate,” Carter said evenly, just above a whisper before heading down the ladder behind Jack to the lower level.

Red turned to look at Jack, his expression was sympathetic but he shrugged, “Well, at least he got the job done,” he offered, knowing it did little to soothe her conscience or change the fact that Carter had just killed an innocent person in front of them.

Red followed behind Carter and Jack as they wound their way along the docks, eyes alert yet inwardly focused on the man she had just watched be murdered. While part of her was incensed at what he’d done, another was whispering that he had been right and she shook her head to silence that voice. That was not who she was anymore she reminded herself and swallowed the bad taste in her mouth.

Jack turned, tapping her shoulder and pointed ahead. The docks made a turn along the canyon wall, arcing out to where the ships were moored. Several soldiers walked the area near the Longwinter and sneaking in that way was not going to work. Red tapped Jack’s pistols, gave him a quick smirk and went to the edge of the pier they stood on. She pulled her boots off, stuffed them in her pack and gave that to Jack along with her sword. “Hide.†She mouthed then slid silently over the edge and lowered herself into the water. She heard a soft snort from Jack above her and saw his grin as he pulled back. The water was cool, but not yet frigid inside the protected harbor.

Red swam in the dark waters, using wide easy strokes, making no noise. She headed across the cove with only her head barely above the water. She reached the other side quickly and thanked the Nine she had not been spotted. As she slid under the dock she looked back to where she knew Jack and Carter to be. She saw the tall figure of Carter rise up and then Jack pulled him back down and wondered what that had been about. She turned away, trusting them not to ruin her plan.

Boots clumped above her head, heading away from the ship moored at the end of the pier and waited until they’d passed before swimming on again. The water was getting colder as she went. She ignored it and swam on, coming to the end of the pier. Above her the second ship rode serenely in the calm waters, lights on its deck flickering in the night air. Red went around to the stern. The ship sat only feet from the canyon wall. It’s anchor line trailing into the water and it was this she’d been looking for.

Red took hold of the wide rope and climbed slowly out of the water, allowing the water to run off her before climbing higher. Her arms were getting tired as she reached the fore deck and inched her head above the rail for a look. The late hour saw only a few men on deck and they were near the wheelhouse at the other end of the ship. Above her head swayed one of the many lanterns lit against the dark and she smiled.

---------------------

Jack waited in the stack of crates, a thrumming Carter beside him. Carter had pulled two throwing knives as Red had reached the other side of the cove, ducking under the pier as a seaman crossed above her. The former Legionnaire had his eye on the men ahead of them however, one knife cocked and ready to throw. Jack had grabbed him, yanking him back down, lowering the knives and shook his head. Never mind how Red would react to the man killing a few more people but doing so would give them away and he had a mind to see what Red had cooked up first. Carter was less than happy to be stopped but had nodded finally and settled back to wait. Cries went up suddenly from the other side of the cove and they turned to look as flames rose up from the stern of the other ship, licking into the rigging and stowed sails.

The soldiers on their side of the pier cried out and ran past their hiding place, joined by several more who leaped from the Longwinter to the planks and ran after them. Jack shook his head, smothering a chuckle at the satisfied and somewhat impressed look on Carter's as their way ahead cleared in moments. The other side of the docks was a chaos of yelling men and flames as the fire spread.

Not one to waste an opportunity, Jack rose and stepped out on the now empty pier with Carter, the two men jogging quickly to the Longwinter. A small splash sounded below them and two hands grabbed at the side of the dock.

Red hoisted herself up, grabbing hold of the slick wood and heaved a thankful sigh when her wrists were grabbed. She was pulled easily up and gasped to find herself held by Carter as he steadied her. “Not bad.†He said softly as she stared into his eyes. She stopped herself backing up and off the edge only just. Something down in those dark waters had moved past her as she swam across and her nerves were still on edge. She looked away from him, and the confusing reaction she felt as though a teacher had praised her.

She stepped around Carter and went to Jack, taking her pack and sword back. She slipped the baldric over her shoulder, taking the hilt in her hand and frowned as it felt too large, wishing it were a different hilt. She shook her head at the questioning look on Jack’s face. “Come on.†She said hoarsely, chilled now from the water and the night air.

Jack nodded, keeping his questions for now and the three turned to the now near deserted hulk of the Longwinter next to them.

Jack, Red and Carter climbed aboard the Longwinter, weapons drawn expecting a fight of some kind and instead, found only a few of Jack’s crew chained to the main mast instead. They were somewhat the worse for wear and all five men raised their heads and gasped as one on seeing their Captain standing before them. Jack put his fists on his hips, clucked his tongue and shook his head.

“Bunch of lazy scalawags, lounging about my deck when there’s work to be done.â€

“Cap’n Jack!†The oldest of the men hissed. “That pansy fellow what stole the Longwinter’s still ‘ere. In yer cabin.â€

Jack turned to go and stopped, seeing Carter heading toward the Captain’s cabin and he grunted. “Well that problem will be solved shortly I imagine. Red?â€

“On it.†Red sheathed her sword and went to the men, drawing a lockpick from her pouch and setting to work on the shackles.

“Are you all that’s left?†Jack asked quietly, dreading the answer.

“Rest are below sir.†The old man smiled. “In the brig. Tommy and Little Barrow well, they didn’t make it.â€

“Damn.†Jack heaved a sigh then reached down to help him to his feet as Red freed him. “Come on then, Bailey. We’ve work to do.â€

“Aye!†Bailey’s old face lit with a smile. “I’ll go free the men below.†He jogged off below decks and Jack went to his men, coming up with a lockpick of his own and set to freeing them as well.

“We’ll need to get the sails up fast lads.†Jack said as he and Red freed the last. “Won’t take them long to figure out that fire’s a diversion once we go to work.â€

“Aye!†His men said with feeling and scrambled off across the deck. A splash sounded over the rail and Jack and Red lurched to the side. Jack grunted in satisfaction. The body of Ansis, the wealthy fop who’d stolen his ship and killed some of his men, was now floating away on the tide, a red stain on the water spreading about him. Jack set to organizing his men as more appeared from below decks. Red looked over and saw Carter come strolling from the Captain’s cabin, brushing some unseen speck of dust from his sleeve and then looked up to Red.

She looked away from the intensity in his eyes and found herself watching the body instead as it floated away, waiting. Carter came up behind her and spoke quietly.

“If it makes you feel better, I don’t think he’ll be missed,†he started, but Red cut him off with a raised hand.

“Wait,†She breathed, her eyes locked on the dead nobleman. Ansis’ body jerked in the water, a small splashing noise sounded.

“Not possible,†Carter growled, and crossed his arms defiantly, “He IS dead.â€

The body bobbed for a moment as if trying to turn over and then was pulled beneath the surface in a whirlpool of red foam. “There’s something.†Red said softly. “I felt it when I was in the water.â€

Carter moved to the rail leaning over to watch the water as she was. He knew this lady thief had good instincts and keen senses. It would be unwise to ignore her.

“Jack!†Red called over her shoulder. “Ask your men…†was all she got out. The water below the rail where they stood exploded, showering Red and Carter. Red stepped back from the rail and it saved her from the vicious tentacle that swept where she’d been standing. More appeared, reaching, sweeping and then wrapping about the rails. She heard Jack calling his men to arms as similar cries went up across the cove from the other ship. She peered across and saw the flames had been put out for the most part but now the deck of the ship was alive with armed soldiers, backing from the rails with cries of alarm.

Squid like bodies began to appear at the rail of the Longwinter, rolling themselves on the deck. The first over the rail reached for Red, finding the blade of her sword instead as she lurched backward from it into Carter. He nudged her forward just enough to rebalance her.

“Move forward, Assassin,†was all he said before leaving her to join the fray of sailors trying to fend off the attack. Red growled her feeling to him and swept her sword in a broad sweep, severing tentacles as they flew toward her. She speared one of the squids as it topped the rail and kicked it backwards into the water, yanking her sword free.

A shot rang out and a second squid dropped beside her. It had been in the rigging above her and Red tossed a salute to Jack on the bow of the ship which he quickly returned and went back to rallying his men. Red heard cracking above her and looked up to see another of the creatures wrapped around one of the smaller masts. It was squeezing and she watched the wood splinter. It broke suddenly, toppling the still furled sails and lines to the deck. Red leaped to escape the worst of it, coming down in a tangle of rigging but avoiding the mast itself. Her sword fouled, she drew a throwing knife and planted it in the head of the squid scrabbling over the wreckage to her.

It reared back and Red pulled herself free, finishing it off with her sword and heard her name called. She saw Jack wave, pointing. Red turned to see she and Carter had been cut off from the rest of the crew. They were being backed to the stern of the ship where more of the squids waited for them. Red spared a glance across the water and saw, to her shock, the other ship was now listing low in the water, two of her masts gone and precious few of the soldiers still standing.

Red pulled her attention back, dodging another sweep of tentacles and backed to Carter. Jack was pulling his men together on the other side of the ship. She wondered if they’d be fast enough to avoid the other ships fate.

The ride north had been hard on the horses, being uphill the entire way. They had passed the shrine to Tiber Septim the previous day. They had avoided going anywhere near the ruins since the undead tended to congregate there. Since the undead usually carried no treasure it would have been hardly worth their effort anyway.

The shrine to Hermaeus Mora's had the usual weirdo’s hanging around it. Will did manage to get some information about the mountains to the north of the shrine and it did not sound good. On top of that, a light snow was drifting down from a bleak sky, a sure sign that heavier snows would soon be on their way. Several miles north of the shrine, Elliot and William camped under a circle of evergreens.

With the fire crackling in the pit to keep the cold off, Will looked over at the shivering Elliot. “It’s not going to be easy to find that cave system the crazy man at the shrine said would lead to the hidden valley were looking for.”

Elliot tried to smile but his teeth chattered instead. He cursed himself for showing weakness in front of this man. The fire was just started and it would be a while before it burned the chill from his bones. He also wondered at the seeming resilience his travelling companion had to the cold. He finally found his tongue, “Aye, that it will, but I am sure we will find it.”

Will only nodded as he place another stick on the blazing fire. He flinched from the flames as they flicked skyward. For some reason he did not seem to enjoy the fire as much as he once did. And the cold did not seem to bother him so much anymore. By all rights, he should be shivering just as much as Elliot was. This gave him a lot to think about as he drifted off to sleep.

During the night, Will got up several times and placed more wood on the fire, stoking it back to life a few times. The snow became heavy during the night and a layer a foot deep covered the ground by morning. From the edge of their shelter, Will watched Elliot start rustling around and then bolt upright, looking around. Will chuckled lightly to himself as they broke camp and rode off into the newly fallen snow.

Elliot pointed and yelled in sudden excitement! “There, the three trees the shrine keeper spoke of! We’re on the right path for sure.”

Sure enough, off in the distance, the three trees stood out against the White Mountains. The entrance to the caves should be directly north of that landmark. Before long they were past the trees and standing at the base of some steep cliffs with the mountain rising up sharply.

They searched along the base and before long Will found a stone door embedded in a rock wall. Strange writing covered the door which was clear of snow and ice. They approached the doorway cautiously since nothing in this frozen wasteland was ice free this time of year.

Upon seeing the door, Elliot pulled out his notebook and started drawing what he saw on the door. Will checked the door for any obvious traps, and thanks to Red’s instruction, noted some kind of magical energies stored in the door. As will probed the door, Elliot yelled out as he looked at his drawing, finally recognizing the magical symbols, “It’s a trap! Get away from it!!!”

Will started to jump back as the door rapidly brightened in blue energy, which sparked and cascaded over its surface. Elliot watched in horror as that energy blasted from the door in a giant lightning bolt, blasting William in the back and sending him hurtling through the air and into a deep snow drift.

Elliot jumped from his horse and ran through the knee deep snow to his new friend. With a grim look on his face, he pulled the still smoldering body of Will from the snow and gasped when Will smiled up at him.

Will then sat up and started laughing so hard you would think he was being tickled to death. Finally catching his breath, he wiped his eyes and merely said, “That tickled!”

With a shocked look on his face, Elliot helped Will to his feet. He thought to himself, if he had been hit with that lightning trap, it would have killed him.

The two of them then easily opened the now drained door and brought their horses with them into the shelter of the cave. They were not sure how long the cavern tunnels would be or what might lay in wait for them but the lure of treasure kept them moving.

Red dug a coil of string from her bag, yanking her Welkynd bow from her back and set to stringing it. “Cover me.†She said to Carter and jumped up the short stairs near them to stand on the higher deck. Carter prowled beneath her, taking a tentacle from one of the beasts here and there as they closed. Red loosed her first arrow, letting fly the second before the first had found it’s mark and two of the creatures flew backwards with the strikes. Carter raised a brow at her precision and speed. He expected no less he thought as a third Squid lunging for him found itself pinned to the deck instead. He dispatched it with a clean slice of his blade.

The crew of the Longwinter was attacking the rear of the small army of squids and Red gasped. Looking to find Jack, she finally spotted him scaling the rigging. He took hold of one of the many ropes and swung out, sword swinging to cut another of the things from the main mast as he flew past. He caught hold of a crew net and surveyed the deck.

“Don’t let them get below!†He bellowed across the noise. Red looked and saw two of the Squids heading for the stairs below decks. She took one with a well-placed arrow as the other fell to a knife thrown by Carter with practiced ease.

A tentacle lashed out, wrapping about Carter’s wrist and he growled, cutting himself free and setting a boot in the creature’s face, or what he took to be its face. He felt something pierce the toe of his boot and saw a small beak sawing through the leather. “Oh no you don’t.†A blade extended from his sleeve and stabbed into the beasts head. The beak released and the Squid fell dead with a satisfying thump. An arrow flew past Carter’s face to clatter on the deck and he looked back to Red in surprise.

Red fell forward with a grunt as her legs were pulled out from under her. She rolled over to see tentacles reaching through the rails, squirming up her legs. She let the Welkynd bow go and pulled a knife free. She managed to brace one leg against the rail as she was dragged and reached forward to stab at them as they pulled viciously, trying to take her overboard.

It was around noon. The sun was high in the sky, and Nathan could hear the pleasant sound of the wind in the trees. To anyone watching, Nathan would have looked like any other traveller, albeit a wealthy one, judging by his horse. How wrong they would be... If they had seen his eyes, or for that matter the eyes of his horse, any watcher would give second thoughts to their initial reaction to this seemingly normal High Elf.

"The gold I like... However the glow tends to make people afraid, and they are not very helpful when afraid... Well at least most aren't." thought Nathan as he considered his own strange eyes.

But there was no one watching. Nathan was completely alone for the moment. Which, truth be known, is how he preferred it. Mortals were so... Boring. Since he had been in Cyrodiil, he had been alone. Of course, whenever he stopped at an inn or a city he came in contact with other people, and Nathan took etiquette very seriously.

Most of the time however he was left alone with his demons. And demons Nathan had plenty of. The story behind the eyes was just the latest of the legion. As he rode past the recently rebuilt Kvatch, Nathan briefly thought of stopping for the rest of the evening, but in the end he decided an inn would be better.

After riding for the rest of the day at a fast trot, an hour after sunset, Nathan saw in the distance a tavern. He pushed his steed into a gallop, and was soon there. As he slowed to a trot and approached the stables, he called for a stable boy to take his horse.

Pulling five gold septims from a coin-purse at his side, Nathan handed them to the boy saying, "See to it that he is well tended, and there will be another ten for your trouble tomorrow morning."

"Yes sir!", replied the stable hand as he rushed to do as instructed.

"A good lad that", thought Nathan as he walked towards the door. He went inside and walked slowly toward the bar.

"Name's Wilson", said the barkeep, "What can I do for you sir?"

"A room for the night please", replied Nathan with a charming smile, "and a meal as well."

After eating a large dinner, Nathan retired to his room. "A good nights rest will do me some good", he thought as he unpacked and fell into bed.

He was asleep before his head hit the pillow.

As quickly as it’d begun, the assault on the Longwinter suddenly ended when the bay rumbled and chopped the water all around them. The creatures that yet lived abandoned their attack and tumbled peacefully back over the rail and disappeared into the black water. The Longwinter rocked like a child’s toy in the bath as an eerie silence fell across the cove. The crew cast nervous glances at their Captain where he stood on the mast rigging. Jack let his eyes drift over to what remained of the other ship. There was no movement from man nor beast on the section of smoldering bough still visible over the water. It seemed he and his crewmates were all that still lived.

“Where’ve they gone?” he called down to Red, who was standing by the rail.

Before she could answer Carter stepped up beside her, “I’m more interested in why they’ve gone.”

Red rested her hands on her hips, “Maybe the earthquake scared them…or hurt them. They’d be sensitive to vibrations, it’s how they hunt.”

“That was no earthquake,” Jack corrected as he dropped down to the deck, “it was too shallow.”

“Oi! Look at that!” one of Jack’s crew shouted out.

As they turned back toward the deck they were met with horrified expressions on the faces of the crew as the sailors backed away pointing to the deck where the various squid bodies still lay. The bodies were suddenly breaking down into a hissing green slime that began to chew into the deck with an acidic.

Jack growled hurrying to the dock to draw a bucket of water from the fire tank, “Don’t stand there lads, swab the deck before they sink us!”

The sailors jumped into action grabbing barrels and buckets of water to wash down the Longwinter before the festering ooze devoured the wood. Red felt another low rumble rock the ship and she moved to the top deck for a better view. Across the bay, near the arc of rock leading out of the cove she spied only briefly, something much bigger than a squid moving under the water.

“Jack, you better come up here,” she called him.

The pirate took no convincing and when he came to her and she pointed to the arc, Jack instantly withdrew his spyglass for a look. The lady thief watched him take a breath and hold it as he lowered the spyglass. He hesitated as if thinking it over before he finally looked at her.

“I think we have a big problem,” he said grimly, “those were no ordinary squid; they’re kraken spawn.”

He passed the spyglass to Red and she raised it to her eye. Out across the bay the movement became clear, great tentacles swept through the water and clung to the rocks between them and the open sea. A kraken was one of the most fearsome creatures in the Abecean Sea; it could destroy a ship with a single swipe of one of its many great arms, its hide was as impenetrable as mithril, and it was said it could devour a legion of men in one bite. She lowered the glass and handed it back to Jack.

“I wonder if she’d mind if we just floated out of here and left her in peace?” she said aloud.

Jack laughed, “Don’t count on it. I understand they have nasty tempers especially with ships. I’ve never heard of anyone ever actually killing one either…except...” his voice faded.

“Except what,” Carter prodded from where he leaned against the mast listening to them, “might be useful to know the exception.”

Jack shrugged at the Redguard, “Bootleg said the Mer people have killed krakens, it’s a regular thing for them. I don’t know if that’s even true though…if it was, it means they must know how it’s done.”

“And they could tell us how to do it,” Red supplied formatting a plan in her mind, “the only way to get the Longwinter free is to find the Mer people and ask them if it can be done and how. I’ve heard they don’t care for our kind though.”

“No they don’t,” Jack answered with a frown, “even if we could find them, which is unlikely in itself, they’d never talk to us.”

“Unless you had a mediator working on Man/Mer relations to help you,” Carter said, his scowl lightening, “I know how it sounds,” he said to the bewildered looks on their faces, “but I think I might know someone who can help us. We should get back to the horses; we’ll need to take the long way around to Senchal.”

“What’s in Senchal,” Red asked curiously, but following Carter’s lead off the ship.

The assassin answered without slowing, “A monk called Syn.”

The Longwinter crew stayed behind, taking shelter in the dock town that was now empty and far enough from the water to not provoke the kraken or her offspring. Red, Jack, and Carter climbed back up the plankways to the canyon gap to collect their steeds and headed east. Once again they found themselves following this fiend to some unknown end and Red was more uncertain than ever. His contract was done, his end of their bargain upheld and yet he continued to help them. She wondered over his motivations and vowed to stay on her toes.

Elliot lit a torch as they entered the cave. The tunnel was more than wide enough to allow their horses to follow. The ‘plink’ of water dripping echoed off the stalagmites far above them. A small stream trailed off deeper into the cave.

A warm breeze blew up from the deeper tunnel which Will thought was strange. Perhaps that is why there was no snow or ice on the door. They continued on in silence, neither wanting to make more noise than necessary. Who knew what dangers might lurk ahead, and there would be no reason to alert them of their presence.

William spotted a hint of light ahead and raised his hand. Elliot put the torch down to lessen their own light signature. They then crept forward, leaving the horses behind and soon came around a corner where a single Flame Atronach stood, looking down the passage.

Elliot pulled his glass bow from his back and nocked an arrow. Will crept closer as an arrow whistled past him and found its mark, sinking deeply into the back of the Atronach’s head, sending it spinning head over heels, its flames quickly dying out, the body turning to ash on the ground.

Elliot quickly caught up with Will and kicked at the ashes, picking out some fire salts he found and placed them in a pouch with a smile. The two horses clip-clopped up to them, neighing lightly.

They continued down the passage and the warm air became warmer, and then hot. Making a turn, they entered a large cavern and found out why, a pool of lava bubbled in the center of the room with a rock bridge spanning it. Two more Atronach’s stood guard at the bridge entrance, and another two were on the other side.

Will whispered to Elliot, “We have to stealthily take the two out on this side. We don’t want to alert the Atronach’s on the other side to our presence before we have to.”

Elliot nodded and the two of them soon had a plan. Will crept up on one of them, his black blade out. Elliot readied an arrow from his vantage point above, waiting for Will to get in position.

When the Atronach closest to Will finally turned its back on him, Will gave the signal and leapt, blade swinging around and cut the creature in half. He looked up at the other Atronach to see it flipping backwards into the pool of lava.

William smiled, these were the easy ones. Now they had to figure out how to do the same with the other two Atronach’s on the other side of the bridge.

A day of riding saw Jack, Red and Carter into Elsweyr and deep in the Tenmar Forests. The trees were unusual and Red admired them. Their trunks were wide, covered in sharp bark. They reached upward with few limbs in easy reach but at the top, massive leaf covered branches spread out like umbrellas soaking up the sun. Below them, the forest floor was dappled with light and surprisingly cool.

"Do not let your guard drop in these woods." Carter warned from ahead. Jack and Red rode side by side behind him. "There are creatures here that wont be seen until they want to be."

Jack snorted. "Ah good. perhaps if I sing something they'll..."

"Run away?" Red quipped, interrupting him and smirked when he laughed. She was sure she heard an irritated growl from Carter and ducked her head, then frowned at herself and aimed a glare at Carter's back. "If they've not heard our horses already then they're deaf. A little talk wont make any difference." Carter only shrugged his shoulders and somehow she still felt like a child. Jack waggled his brows at her, looking for her earlier humor and she managed a smile for him.

Several hours later after riding in relative silence, Carter drew them into a small glen as the sun was setting. He slid from his horses back. "I was hoping we'd make it out of these forests before nightfall. We'll have to camp here."

"First watch?" Jack said as his boots hit the ground and held his backside with a comic expression. "I don't think I'm ready to sit just yet."

Red hopped down and sent Savior to stand with Galleon and chuckled at Jack. "I'll round up some wood." She settled her sword in it's scabbard and headed off into the trees, feeling Carter's eyes on her back as she did and resisted the urge to squirm. She did take Carter's warning of earlier seriously though and walked softly, no easy task as the forest floor was covered with dry leaves, twigs and deadfall from the strange trees. She collected the larger bits of wood as she walked in a widening circle out from their camp.

The hairs on the back of her neck twitched and she stopped, straightening. Her free hand dropped to the hilt of her sword as she knew she was being watched. The question was by what? Red stood still, eyes scanning the trees around her in the quickly fading light for any hint of danger. Though she saw nothing she knew it was there. A hand on her shoulder almost made her jump and she hissed in a breath, whirling to find Carter behind her.

"Be still." He mouthed to her furious face. Red shoved the wood she was carrying at him and he took it reflexively. Her eyes then finally picked out movement, widening in surprise and she slowly inched her sword from its scabbard. Carter was watching her intently, waiting she thought, to see what she would do. She raised her eyes above his head to where she'd seen the motion and just saw something vanishing around the bole of a tree, high above. She felt a minute jolt through Carter's hand on her shoulder and watched his eyes rise above her, looking over her shoulder.

She locked eyes with him for a moment and then anarchy broke loose in the silent forest. Something heavy thudded into Red's back as she swung her sword up along Carter's side and split a creature in two as it aimed for him from above. They were the size of small pigs maybe, hairy and dark. They matched the bark of the trees they used to hide. She saw sharp teeth in a gaping maw as she stumbled forward into Carter.

Carter's wrist blade was out and he stabbed at the creature riding Red's back, sending it squeeling to the ground as he tossed the firewood to the side. He spun her about so her back was to the tree and kicked another of the beasts as it dropped to the ground in front of him. "Sabre Rats." Carter growled and sliced open another as it came in from the side. "They live up in these trees."

"Rats." Red gasped and laughed. "In trees." She brought her sword up as another of the giant rats scrambled down the tree next to them and pinned it there, grunting as pain prodded her in the back. She ignored it, yanking her sword free of the bark and stepped back beside Carter. The rats were still there, clinging to the tree trunks yards above their heads and chittering to each other. "What are they doing?"

Carter watched them, looking about at their fallen brethren. "I think they're deciding if we're worth the trouble."

"Let's just give them a nudge in the right direction." Red drew a small knife from her belt and threw it deftly, taking one of the rats above between they eyes and toppling it from the trunk. The remaining Sabre Rats raised a cacophany of noise and with a few last squeels of anger at Red and Carter, they fled upwards and out of site.

Jack sprinted into view then, pistols out and skidded to a stop beside them. He looked about at the bodies of the mutant rats and raised an eyebrow. "You couldn't save any for me?" He took hold of Red's arm and turned her. "And you seem to have gotten some of your blood on one of those things."

Red snorted a pained laugh and sheathed her sword. "Can't imagine what distracted me."

"Back to camp." Carter ordered, eyes above them as he gathered up the wood Red had gathered. "The fire should keep them away through the night. We'll see to your back. Those things are often carrying all manner of diseases."

"Wonderful." Red retorted and shifted her shoulders, trying to ease the discomfort. "How is your monk friend with healing?"

"I wouldn't know." Carter muttered and led the way back. "She's not really my friend."

Elliot stealthily crept back down from his vantage point on a rocky ledge, and he and Will met in the shadowy passage through which they had entered. In whispers they discussed their options. Neither of them were keen on the idea of fighting the atronachs openly if it could be avoided, and they were even less keen on alerting the rest of the cave's denizens. They could not possibly make it across the bridge without being spotted by the atronachs; their eyes were on it constantly, and it was brightly lit by the lava which bubbled around it. Elliot suggested killing them with ranged weapons, but his bow could only take out one, and William's throwing knives were not accurate enough over such a distance.

"We could climb around," William suggested in a low whisper.

Elliot glanced across at the crumbling walls of the cave, cascading down from a ceiling of brittle stalactites to the viscous lava pool like a thunderous, leaping waterfall, suddenly solidified into unyielding black rock.

"I don't think I can make that climb," he hesitantly replied.

The assassin looked back at the wall and nodded almost imperceptibly.

"I'll climb, you shoot. Can you hit one from here?" he asked. The young Breton nodded his confirmation, hoping that the assassin could make it across.

-----------------------

William assessed the rock face with the critical eye of an assassin, he had chosen by far the easiest of the two walls to climb, but it was still no easy task, he was unsurprised by Elliot's reluctance. He mentally traced a path across the wall, mapping every hand and foothold; on a climb this dangerous, he couldn;t afford to work out a route as he went. He looked back at his companion, crouched between to stalagmites at the edge of the pool, and nodded. Elliot responded in kind and silently knocked an arrow.

The master assassin drew a deep breath, flexed his arms and legs, and gingerly tested his first foothold...

-----------------------

Elliot watched in awe as he followed the stealthy shadow that was William made its way soundlessly across the cavern wall. inch by inch, foothold by foothold, he came closer and closer to the end of the perilous climb. Elliot watched the assassin's foot reach down for the next foothold, lower than the others, and barely stifled a cry of horror when it jerked back upwards, away from the heat of the lava, crashing into the rock as it did. The young treasure hunter experienced a sickly lurching as the assassin's knee smashed chunks of rock from the wall with a crunch, sending them bouncing down the rockface. The atronach's across the lava turned swiftly to face William. He was furious at himself; the heat of the fire had suddenly become too much, but he should have been able to control his reflexes; he had been until now. His eyes met the baleful glare of the atronachs. Looking down he found himself to be closer to their side of the pool than the side he started on. With a grunt, he propelled himself off of the wall and towards the solid ground, drawing his blade as he went.

Edited by the-manta

The rest of the ride through Elsweyr’s southern tip was, thankfully, less eventful than it had begun. Carter attributed this to the dried sabre rat blood still adorning their leathers; marking them as a predator to predators would keep other beasts at bay. Whatever the reason, it made for an easy trip and before long the small seaside city of Senchal appeared before them on the horizon. As they rode closer they could hear the sounds of gypsy music playing gaily for dancers adorned with jingling charms, the air was filled with the scents of spices, and there were so many Khajiiti the humans looked slightly out of place in their midst.

The trio boarded their horses with the local stables and headed toward the dock town on foot. Weeks before, Carter had passed through the port town and by chance alone had met a young woman from some religious order on her way to negotiate peace between local seafarers and the mer people who called their trade routes home. After several raids and several thousand gold pieces lost in damage, the sea farers were ready to declare war, a war the merfolk were happy to engage. It was a plight beyond anything of Carter’s interest, but as always, his mind had stored the information away for later, in case it proved lucrative in the future. He never imagined he’d be leading these companions to Senchal to pursue it, least of all without a payout coming due for his trouble. Yet, the thief and the pirate had proved more than useful in completing his last contract and they were still without their ship; somehow he felt he owed them more on his end of the bargain and he would see this out, until his debt was leveled.

“We should split up and ask around for the girl,” Carter said evenly, eying the pub where he’d last seen her, “save us time.”

“Agreed,” Red said quickly, “Jack and I will go East and you can…”

“Go my way,” Carter finished for her and headed off toward the Fleet’s Harbor Pub.

Red frowned at the man’s back as he disappeared into the crowd, she growled, “that man is…”

“…dangerous,” Jack supplied in her ear, “best not to dance with him my darling. Come on, I know a fair lady who is a bit of a gossip, something of an oddity around here like a mer-loving monk would be sure to catch her ear.”

Red nodded and followed Jack as he led the way toward the town’s interior. He was right; it’d been a long time since she’d encountered someone like Carter Cadlew. She had grown accustom to a gentler breed of assassin, thinking fondly of their William and the goodness that drove him. Carter was different. He wasn’t helping them as a friend; he was tolerating them for some other agenda that was his own to know. She tried to imagine Carter at the Tavern and a crooked smile curled her lips ever so slightly; it was hard to picture him looking so damn comfortable surrounded by her Nords.

Off a quiet side street Jack led the way to a small boarding house. The piano music wafting out the door and the sounds of laughter and merriment brightened the place in a way that made it stand out from the other houses and shops along the road. Jack went inside and straight up to the bar where a surly looking man stood washing out glasses. His gaze narrowed on them as they came closer and he snorted something of a greeting.

“Emmitt,” Jack greeted the man halfheartedly, “Is she here?”

“Who?” Emmitt growled.

Jack stepped a foot up on the bar rail as he leaned forward, “You know who,” he countered shortly, “Charlotte…is she here?”

Emmitt nodded and spat into a jug on the floor by his feet, “She’s out back.”

Jack nodded his thanks but didn’t say so, simply left the bar with Red still in tow as they headed toward the back of the house. Red cleared her throat.

“Doesn’t seem to like you much,” she noted playfully.

Jack almost blushed, “Aye, thinks I spoiled his sister. There’s a garden just through here,” he shifted subjects opening the door and ushering her back outside.

It didn’t take them long to spot a young woman hanging clothes on a drying line in the small backyard. She had creamy pale skin and golden blonde tresses that might have swept in waves over her shoulders had they not been pulled back in an unceremonious ponytail. Still, her beauty was evident and Red caught the look in Jack’s eye becoming far away as he watched her working. Red nudged him to get him moving forward again and she knowingly stayed back as he came to his senses and approached her.

“Charlotte,” he called to her.

Charlotte stopped her work and slowly lowered the shirt she was holding to see if the person calling her name was who she thought it to be. When she saw Jack she gasped and held the shirt up over her mouth as if trying to hold back the disbelief.

“Jack Rackham,” she said slowly, “It can’t be…you’re supposed to be dead. Jolly said you were hanged by the Duke at Haven City and the Longwinter sacked.”

“You’ve seen Jolly?!” Jack asked suddenly finding his own disbelief, “When? Where?”

“Weeks ago, here,” she answered then flung herself into his arms with a laugh, “Oh Jack, but it really is you!” she exclaimed, all uncertainty leaving her. She withdrew, kissing his cheek, then becoming more subdued when she saw Red lurking behind him, “ah, but you’re here on business. What’s it to be then? Healing? Hideout? Or information?”

“Information,” he grinned.

“My specialty,” she purred, suddenly her head whipped toward Red, “your purse,” she warned.

But Red already knew, as she had watched their exchange she felt the tug of inexperienced fingers delving into her purse. As Charlotte’s warning came Red stepped to the side enough to unbalance the filcher and a small boy tumbled head over heel into the garden landing with a grunt.

“Ah Ma, I almost had her too,” the boy grumbled, dusting himself off as he stood. He couldn’t have been more than four or five years old, and his unruly blond hair fell over his eyes.

Charlotte put her hands on her hips, “What did I tell you about picking pockets?”

The boy thought it over for a moment then grinned up at his mother, “Not in the house….but we ain’t in the house.”

“Close enough,” Charlotte corrected, pointing to Red, “now apologize to our guest.”

The boy turned to look up at the lady thief and grinned at her angelically, “Sorry, Miss.”

Red smiled and leaned over so only he could hear her, “That’s okay,” she assured him, “next time, just take the purse instead of rooting through it, then you'll be miles away before it's missed.”

His eyes lit up and he nodded heartily, “Yes Miss, thanks!” he turned back to his mother and for the first time noticed the man standing beside her. His face lit and he ran toward Jack with arms open wide only to be scooped up into the pirate's arms, “Captain! You came back!” he hugged Jack fiercely.

“I could never stay away from you and your mum for long, you know that,” Jack patted the boy’s back before setting him down, “Go on now, see if you can stay out of trouble while my friend and I chat with your mum.”

As the boy scurried off into the boarding house Charlotte called after him, “Little Jack, keep your hands out of pockets that don’t belong to you,” if he heard her he didn’t answer. She shrugged and fixed her attention back on Jack and Red, “What sort of information Jack? And before you ask there are no trade secrets to tell, the routes have been closed for weeks.”

“Actually that’s what I want to know about,” Jack answered, “the routes have been closed because of attacks from the mer-folk right? We’re looking for a young monk woman who was trying to barter peace with them.”

Charlotte nodded, “You mean the Staff Monk, Synette Androgase. She’s not staying here in town. She’s been camped closer to the water, along the shoreline further east of here. There’s some sort of mer-folk shrine out there and she’s been in talks with them. If you want to find her, that’s where you should look but uh…watch out for mer-folk Jack, they can smell a pirate a mile away and they don’t like them.”

“Noted, thank you Charlotte,” he kissed her cheek, “I’d stay longer but my friend and I have another lady to rescue from a kraken and time is not on our side.”

Charlotte nodded, going back to her washings, “Go on then, before Emmitt works up the courage to shoot at you.”

Jack grinned and motioned for Red to follow him as he headed out of the yard.

“Little Jack?” Red asked him as they walked out onto the street. The boy had Charlotte’s blond hair to be sure, but there was no denying he had Jack's grin.

“Aye, she named him after me,” he said cheerily, “devilish little beggar isn’t he?”

“Must be in his blood,” she laughed.

Jack shook his head, “No no, his father was a merchant or trader or something...I think…actually I don’t really know who his father was.”

Red almost groaned, “I think I could wager a guess.”

“Don’t be silly you only just met the woman, you couldn’t possibly know,” he chided in a way that seemed only half serious, “Come along, let’s collect Carter and head for the shrine, that is, if he hasn’t found his way there already.”

Synette strode from her tent, shoving the flap out of the way and fixed what she hoped was a scary scowl on her face as she headed for the shoreline. The ships Captains and Merfolk were trying even her legendary patience. She would have bet gold they waited for her to sleep before coming up with some new reason to argue with each other. She stalked to the shoreline and the group of men gathered there, yelling at the water. Her black staff thumped in her hand as she walked, tapping the ground forcefully. A hot wind blew the skirts of her split robes about her legs

The men yelling and pointing rude gestures at the water would have seemed comic anywhere else did she not know what was just beneath that gently lapping water. As Syn neared she could see faces hovering just below the surface, angry faces to match those of the men on shore. As she reached them, one of the Captains put a hand to his sword and drew it out, or rather he started to. He yelped in surprise as Synette's staff swung out rapping his hand and then swept his legs from him dumping him in the grass.

"No weapons." Synette said calmly to his furious face. "You know the rules of the truce."

"And who's to stop us eh?" He growled up at her. Rather than answer she swung her staff about holding the gold tipped end to his nose and raised her brows. The Captain's eyes widened and he frowned. "Ah right."

Synette reached her bare arm down to him and after a moment he took her hand, allowing her to pull him to his feet. The first day of peace talks between the two groups had been anything but calm. It had in fact been a near riot with the currently land bound Captains readying cannons to destroy the Merfolk temple they now stood beside. The men had not been in a listening mood at first and Syn had been forced to...get their attention forcibly to stop the bloodshed.

Though she was a woman, the Seafaring men had learned not to take her lightly. Her honey brown eyes often stared them down from beneath her fringe of unruly, dark brown hair. One bold captain's mate had thought to make advances on her, running a hand up her bare, muscled arm to the neck of her single sleeve shirt despite her warnings. It had taken him two days to wake from the knock on the head she'd given him and no one had bothered her since.

Liquid voices rose from the water as Synette approached the shore and several, green and blue tinged heads bobbed above the surface. Hair like white sea foam floated about their bare shoulders. Synette marveled again at the adaptation of these people to their home, wishing a child's wish for the gills that allowed them to explore the depths of the oceans of their world.

Synette stepped into the water, just her feet, as a sign of trust to the Merfolk. She spoke slowly in their tongue, as always paying careful attention to roll her words properly. The Merman nearest her rose up in front of her, water sluicing from his muscled, blue chest. He held a trident out to her and spoke, pointing back at the Captain's behind her on shore and finally Syn began to chuckled, quickly smothering it. She stepped back on dry land and looked at the man she'd dumped on his pride minutes earlier.

"He raised the trident to you did he?" She asked and the man nodded vigorously.

"Yes! Raised it at me, pointed at me! He was going to kill me!"

Syn laughed again, shaking her head. "He was offering it to you, for you to have a look." She gestured behind her and the Merman repeated the gesture, raising the trident out and forward. "He wanted a look at one of yer pistols." She paused as the Merman spoke quickly and she swallowed a laugh. "Says he's never seen one up close what wasn't firing at him first."

"He wanted my pistol?" The Captain put a hand over the grip at his belt.

"Aye and was offering you his so you wouldn'a be unarmed while he had a look."

"Hell." The Captain said and looked a bit sheepish, as did those with him. "How in hell are we supposed to get along with these fish when we can't even talk!?" He said in frustration and Syn flinched, not looking at the Merpeople behind her but hearing the rumble.

"Captain, just because you've never learned theirs doesn't mean they haven'a learned yours." Syn said softly. "Do not...call them fish again."

All of the sea captains stared in shock, first at her and then at the angry blue and green faces behind her. "But...if they understand why don't they talk to us proper?" Another of the men asked.

"Why should they?" Synette shrugged. "You've never spoken theirs to them. The Merfolk are a people of fair trade. You get what you give with them, and you've given naught but bullets and cannon balls. Try sharing food instead of swords for a change." Syn heard what passed for mer laughter behind her and smiled. Disaster averted. "Have you not noticed when you speak to them, they speak back right quick?"

"Well, yeah." The sheepish captain scratched his head. "Thought they were yelling back at me."

"They're repeating your words in their own language." Synette laughed. "They've been trying to teach you thick heads all this time." The captain stared for a moment then stepped around her to peer at the Merman with the trident. "I'm sorry." He said and the Merman spoke back. Syn nodded when the captain looked to her and he made his first attempt at wrapping his tongue round the strange language. The Merfolk were sent into fits of laughing giggles, leaping back in the water with splashes as he tried again.

Syn's eyes were drawn behind the now laughing humans and saw three people riding into their camp. The crimson hair of the woman in the middle shone brightly in the sunlight and Syn found as she looked at the three of them, her hands twitched to bring her Staff up. Her glance fell on the man to the woman's left and she knew before a rakish smile graced his face, he was a pirate. "Hell." She said softly and stepped away from her charges to meet them, hoping her work here wasn't about to get more complicated.

"Is that her?" Red asked of Carter as they rode into the seaside camp. She saw a woman standing amidst a group of laughing men with a tall black staff in her hand. The sunlight glinted off gold at either end of the weapon and the calculating look she gave Red, Carter and Jack told her this woman was no pushover.

"That's her." Carter replied tersely and pulled his horse to a stop at the outer edge of the camp between two large tents. "Let her come to us."

Red looked quickly at him and then shrugged, sliding from Savior's saddle as he stopped as well. She watched the monk walk towards them, wariness in her face and felt she'd like this woman.

Synette strode to them, stopping a short distance away and planting her staff in the ground. She looked to Red and Jack, standing beside their horses and then up to Carter who had yet to dismount. She raised a brow at him. "If you think you're safer up there, you're mistaken." She smirked at the quick surprise that crossed his face and was gone. "If you want to talk, come down to my ground."

Red snorted softly, ducking her head to hide the grin as Jack elbowed her lightly and laughed. Carter studied Synette for a moment and then dismounted, coming to stand beside Red. "We came for information."

"I'm Synette Androgase." She introduced herself and then arched her brows at him once more. "I've seen you before I think."

"Carter. You have." He said simply. Red shook her head at his behavior and thrust a hand out to the woman.

"I'm Red, Synette." She elbowed Jack. "This is Jack. We could use your help."

Synette studied the woman and nodded finally. "Call me Syn." She laughed at the expression on Red's face. "Yes I'm aware of the irony." Though she saw something dark in Red's eyes, her smile was easy and she found she liked the woman immediately. She turned her brown eyes to Jack and frowned. "Don't tell anyone here what it is you do for a living please. A pirate is the last thing I need right now with this lot." She gestured back at the group of men now hunkered down at the waters edge and each repeating what sounded like gibberish to Jack. "What can I help you with?"

"A small matter of a Kraken land locking my ship." Jack replied, surprised she'd pegged him and then slapped Red hard on the back and chuckled when she groaned. "And some healing if you've the skill." He met the death glare in Red's eyes and smiled winningly. "Like I'd not notice you squirming all the way here."

"It's fine." Red growled.

"Well, if you need help with a Kraken then we need to talk. That could take a while." Syn took Red's arm and steered her toward the nearest large tent. "No reason I can't look at your back while we talk." Red stared daggers back at Jack over her shoulder as Syn pulled her inside.

"I think you should sleep carefully tonight perhaps." Carter commented and followed the women inside. Jack laughed and ducked under the tent flap. Syn had pushed Red onto a stool and was relieving the thief of her leather despite her protests. "What did this?" She asked of the men.

"Sabre rats." Carter supplied and settled on a stool watching, bemused, while Red was for lack of a better description, mothered. "Several days ago."

Syn hissed through her teeth in sympathy. "Nasty beasts. They don't even make good eating." She surveyed the wicked marks on Red's back and smiled. "It's really not bad you know." Syn turned to a pack on the table beside her and extracted a small vial, pulling the stopper and tipped the contents on Red's back, smoothing it across the deep scratches.

Red sighed gustily and closed her eyes on a smile. "Oh the itching's stopped."

Syn laughed. "No infection, just the irritating part of healing." She said to Jack with a nod. "This should speed the process up. Now, a Kraken?" Syn helped Red pull her leathers back together as they told her an edited version of events in the Cove.