DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Trapped Chest...

Xinimator

I'm trying to script a chest to post a question when activated. if the player gets it wrong, they get zapped by lightning and the must find the spare key elsewhere. Problem is, I don't know scripting, so I don't know what's wrong with the script:

ScriptName RiddleChestScripta

Short doonce

Short button

Begin OnActivate

If ( doonce == 0 )

MessageBox "Blah Blah Blah...No peaking!", "Answer1", "Answer2", "Answer3", "Answer4"

Set doonce to 1

ElseIf ( doonce > 1 )

Activate

EndIf

End

Begin GameMode

If ( doonce == 1 )

Set button to GetButtonPressed

If ( button == -1 )

Return

ElseIf ( button == 2)

MessageBox "Your answer was correct."

Set doonce to 2

Else

MessageBox "Your answer was wrong."

Cast Mg05FingerSpell15 Player

Set doonce to -1

EndIf

ElseIf ( doonce == 2 )

Activate

Set doonce to 3

EndIf

End

By the way, I was following the tutorial on CS Wiki. Or at least trying to. :) I hate scripting...

So...help me? :please:

*gasp* you hate scripting?!? :)

Anyways...... It would have helped if you would have explained what went wrong. I'm not exactly sure what is wrong because it's all different from the normal way I do messageboxes.

Since that it isn't working for you, maybe you can try this to see if it works:

scn RiddleChestScripta

Short Choosing

Short Choice

Begin OnActivate

Set Choosing to -1

End

Begin Gamemode

if (Choosing == -1) ;Display your menu

Messagebox "Which option?" "First Option" "Second Option" ... "Fourth Option"

Set Choosing to 1

Set Choice to -1

Elseif (Choosing == 1) ;Catch the player's decision

If (Choice == -1) ;No choice yet

Set Choice to GetButtonPressed

Elseif (Choice == 2) ;your right answer

activate

message "Your answer was correct."

Set Choosing to 0 ;to finish up

Else ;all other options

Message "Your answer was wrong."

Cast Mg05FingerSpell15 Player

Set Choosing to 0 ;to finish up

Endif

Endif

End

My problem is that none of the scripts are saving for some reason. There's no errors as far as I'm aware of, but it just won't save.

How do you 'know' they are not saving?

Or do you really mean they are not working when playing in the game?

Please be descriptive of what is and is not happening.

Scholar note:

Did you want absolutely nothing to happen if the player chooses the wrong answer the first time? I usually put a message (without the box) saying the box cannot be used now. At the minimum. Otherwise a player may wonder why he/she cannot activate the chest at a later date.

How do you 'know' they are not saving?

Or do you really mean they are not working when playing in the game?

I think he means that the when he saves, no errors pop-up, but when he goes to exit the script window a prompt comes up asking you to save the script. If you say yes, save, and try to exit then it pops-up again, endless loop. And if you click no, the script doesn't save. It's happened to me a few times, and that's what I assumed his problem was...

Please be descriptive of what is and is not happening.

Yes, please, we can't do much with your description...

I think he means that the when he saves, no errors pop-up, but when he goes to exit the script window a prompt comes up asking you to save the script.

In the many years of helping people with scripts, I try not to assume anything. It usually just leads to confusion from not understanding the issue that is 'really' happening. :unsure:

So, I try to start back at the beginning with the basic questions and ask what is really happening. :thumbup:

I create the script like normal and when I click save, no pop-up errors occur. The only problem is I know it's not saving because it is not prompting me to create a unique ID for the script. I did get one script to work sometime in the past (that was to activate a journal entry for a tiny quest) and I remember how it prompted me for a unique ID before I could completely save the script.

Since CS did not prompt me for a unique ID, the script is not saving for some reason. Dunno why, but that's what's going on. :thumbup:

I create the script like normal and when I click save, no pop-up errors occur. The only problem is I know it's not saving because it is not prompting me to create a unique ID for the script. I did get one script to work sometime in the past (that was to activate a journal entry for a tiny quest) and I remember how it prompted me for a unique ID before I could completely save the script.

Since CS did not prompt me for a unique ID, the script is not saving for some reason. Dunno why, but that's what's going on. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if this is the problem but try to click the pencil symbol for the script window then file>new and then write your script there and save.

If you start creating a new script off of an existing script the script editor will not recognize it as a new script, even if you change the text after the "scn" or "scriptname". You must make a new, blank script, just ctrl+c to copy the contents from one script to the other if you need it.

If that's not the problem then I'm not sure whats going on aa_mellow.gif

I have never been prompted when I create a 'new' script.

The fact that you give is a new 'scn' name is all you need.

The only time I am prompted for anything is when I already have a script with the same name. It then makes a 'copy' of that script.

Only 'objects' prompt you for a new object, and only when you are copying one object to a new object.

You need to try it out in game to see if its working or not. And, if you can attach the script to an activator, then you also know its been saved.

I think I know whats wrong, are you making the new script via the object you are attaching the script to? [via clicking the 3 dots and going new at the top?], because that does not work when you try to save, when you make a new script you want to click the pencil on the tab, then make your script and save, then open up the objects menu and give it the script.

Am I correct?

I tried that. It's still not saving. :P

Eh, if it's this much trouble to create a script for a trapped chest, then I'll worry about it later after I get some more scripting under my belt. :P Maybe I'll find out the answer in the near future.

But other than that, I'm not going to worry about it. Skeletons will do the job just as well. ;)

:) Boy, I don't know how many times I'm going to kick myself in the butt tonight....

I was looking in the wrong place. Oh my god... :doh:

Well, everything's back to normal. I learned a thing or two over the past several days: Look everywhere. Turns out it was saving after all. :doh: Oh my god....

I am so sorry I put you guys through this whole mess. :blush: Me and my very short attention span...