DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Stop the Rain

Loony

I have a small house that you can walk into (as opposed to instancing) but it looks really strange when it rains and you walk inside. The house is on Tamriel and I dont want to mess with the weather of that area so I looked to scripting. I know it is possible using a script extender but I'm not using one. Is it possible to check if the weather is raining and if it is change it when the player triggers a trigZone or loads into the area or comes within range of the house? All my attempts so far did not produce any results.

Yes it's possible, I set a trig zone to turn off the snow and activate a snow static outside the house so it still looked like it was snowing. The trouble I ran into is that, no matter how finely I tuned the script timing the ForceWeather command makes a visible flicker appears on screen. So yes, a trig zone functions but the end result is not great. Some open house modders might have a better solution. :yes:

I have a small house that you can walk into (as opposed to instancing) but it looks really strange when it rains and you walk inside. The house is on Tamriel and I dont want to mess with the weather of that area so I looked to scripting. I know it is possible using a script extender but I'm not using one. Is it possible to check if the weather is raining and if it is change it when the player triggers a trigZone or loads into the area or comes within range of the house? All my attempts so far did not produce any results.

Yes you can do it by using the "GetWeather" or "GetIsWeather" commant. Look in the CS and find out the names of the weather-types that include rain. Then create a new script that should look something like this:

[tab]if getweather "weatherID" (this will return a "1" if the weatherID is true)

[tab][tab]setweather "weatherID_02" (with this line you can change the weather to "weatherID_02, whatever that is).

[tab]endif

It's quite easy actually to manipulate the weather in TES-4. You might also need to type a reference of the worldspace and your location from the house to avoid having to deal with "disco-TES" effect in game.

For example:

[tab]If (player.getinworldspace Tamriel) && (player.getdistance <= 1000 "myhouse".ref)

[tab][tab]if getweather "weatherID"

[tab][tab][tab]setweather "hell_on_earth_for_example"

[tab][tab]endif

[tab]endif

Or I'd suggest creating a new weather region in the region editor limited at the end-line of the cells you 've used for your house. In that case the "forceweather" commant might become useful.

The trigger zone would make the whole thing a bit more complex bcause you would need to tell it somehow when you ender the house and when you're going out and the TES-4 engine is not famous for its quick responce in the script codes.

In any case you're gon'a have to deal with compatibility issues with weather mods so keep an eye for that.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be sure to check things out. I checked the video it looks pretty interesting but might not be worth the trouble if I can manipulate the weather successfully through scripts, still where can I get more information about it?