DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Flashlight

Critterman

So some of you may have heard that I'm making a flashlight. Well, I think I am at the point where a [WIPz] is in order :P

I have made a video for your viewing pleasure :P. Tell me what you think:

The whole mod is pretty self explanatory. You cast a spell, much like vanilla oblivion's light spell, and then there is a light in front of you (well to be exact there are two lights). What is special about this light is that it will always be in front of you AND it will (almost) always stay in your view. Meaning if you walk up to a tree, the light will illuminate the tree, not the area behind it; just like a flashlight XD . Cast the spell again and the lights vanish, it is a toggable spell (though I can make it timed if anyone wishes it).

The way I did it isn't really important, but if you want I can explain how. (it involves two tiny invisible men holding torches laugh.gif oh the beauty of making work-arounds for oblivion's limitations!)

But I should thank QQuix for the valuable code from his's GetLOS Test Environment mod, which made this mod possible :D .

Unfourtunatly this mod is not flawless. Doing something the oblivion engine wasn't meant for can cause problems. Most noteably the flashlight hardly works in interiors. In the video, you can see how it illuminates the walls in the entryway but if you look closely, further down the cave the lights cease to illuminate the statics, only actors and inventory items. So, for some odd reason, only some interior peices are illuminated by the flashlight; which is quite frustrating, as a dark dungeon would be the perfect place for a handy flashlight. If anyone knows a solution please, do tell.

Additionally, the further light has a tendency to go underground. This of course is no good as it cannot illuminate anything down there. I have sort of half fixed this by making it so that if the light is not at its limit (750 units) then it will be adjusted 150 units up (along the Z axis). This makes it so that if you look down near your feet the light will not dissapear underground but stay above ground illuminating the area. The drawback to this is that this makes the light seem off-center when you point it at a close object; this is because it is 150 units above center. If the light is at its limit then it is centered, however it can dip underground as well.

I might eventually make some of the values in the mod configurable. Such as the light limit.

Tell me if you have any suggestions, or ask me any questions you have. I will be releasing a beta as soon as I polish the mod up to releasing standards (perhaps a job for the Beta Testing Guild?)