DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

TES 5?

007matthew

I dont see the relevence in a delay for TES5 because of New Vegas, they cater to different markets and people, so one would not really impact on the other.

The main thought for an annoncement soon is one of the (more important) Skyrim trademarks is expiring July 31st, they did renew it earlier this year for the last time, if they want ot keep it after July 31st they must show their product. It is not sure if they have to do it publicly, however if july 31st passes and they still have it, then it means for certain there is a ES game containing Skyrim in the works.

Pete Hines suggested that a better place to annonce/show off future game would be at QuakeCon, rather then E3. This makes sense as then it doesnt get lost in the E3 news, and it will introduce ES fans to the ID games, and ID fans to the ES series. Win - Win for both parts of the company.

As far as graphics are concerned, I believe they will re-write the engine again, like they normally do. They used mostly the oblivion engine for fallout 3, but I dont think they'll just upgrade the engine again...they'll redesign it again for whatever system they want to release on.

On graphic, the biggest question is, will they develop for consoles (if so what generation), or will they develop for PCs and port to consoles. With fallout 3 they developed it for console and ported to PC, which is a growing trend for game devs now, so i think it'll happen again for ES5, if its for this generation of consoles, then i cant see the graphics getting too much better, if they go for the next generation (same as current gaming PCs) then I think we can expect stuff like the dynamic shadows and whatnot.

As far as graphics are concerned, I believe they will re-write the engine again, like they normally do. They used mostly the oblivion engine for fallout 3, but I dont think they'll just upgrade the engine again...they'll redesign it again for whatever system they want to release on.

They never re-wrote anything, they use a middleware game engine created by a different company. All they done between Fallout and OB was use the updates made by the engine developer and tweaked it for their needs. They can only re-write an engine if it's something they've developed or another they have extenseively modified, in the case of the last few games they've done neither.

Looking at Bethesda's to-be-released games, they have four on the plate (although from different developers).

Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian)

Rage (id)

Brink (Splash Damage)

Hunted: Demon's Forge (InXilf)

That's seems to be a bit much to even consider development on another ES game unless they source it to another developer (I believe 2K helped on Oblivion, so I suppose that may be the case).

I do agree that most of these games would be developed with the console in mind then ported to the PC. It seems to make sense with multiplatform games.

I could see a TES game being released soon, but I'm not sure that would be best for the community. Even though it'll probably released next year, and it'll have been about five years since Oblivion, the Oblivion modding community is far from it's natural twilight. Part of me really wants to start killing strange new creatures in a strange new land on my PS3, but it would be disappointing to see some of the greatest modding projects out there (RST, Deserts of Annequina) lose steam because of a new TES game.

I think that this community has a lot of potential, and more than most others seem to realize. I just don't want to see it killed.

Looking at Bethesda's to-be-released games, they have four on the plate (although from different developers).

Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian)

Rage (id)

Brink (Splash Damage)

Hunted: Demon's Forge (InXilf)

That's seems to be a bit much to even consider development on another ES game unless they source it to another developer (I believe 2K helped on Oblivion, so I suppose that may be the case).

I do agree that most of these games would be developed with the console in mind then ported to the PC. It seems to make sense with multiplatform games.

The 50 or so bethesda game devs arent just sitting around tiddling thier thumbs, sure the marketing and PR departing is going full ball with these games, but not the in-house devs. Bethesda just publishes all them, in other words, they put just thier name to a product and market it to people, raking in money for a game they didnt have to make.

New news from UESP

VG247.com are reporting a rumor that Bethesda are planning to announce TES V at E3, contrary to a previous statement by Bethesda Vice President Pete Hines that such an announcement was unlikely. It has been confirmed that some announcement will be made, but the details are currently being kept secret. E3 runs from June 15-17 this year in Los Angeles.

E3 is the "start" of if I remember the new fiscal year. Nintendo released the black wii, at the end of their fiscal year. Now the beginning of the year is a huge time for releases, news events and importantly E3. I'll be watching it on G4 all week. I'll post anything should I see it about Bethesda studios. This is part of my job ya know, I'm going to college to get into the industry so why not? E3 would be the best time to announce any new titles. TES5, their plans for a MMO(I won't play because I can gaurantee it'll probably be pay to play), anything involving FO or others. Hopefully news on TES5.

well if they do it still fits my pattern, an annoncement at E3 with limited content (in order for them to keep the trademark) then a proper reveal aat quakeCon.

I had that theory since Pete's interview, and it still holds true and fits all the fact we know.

The 50 or so bethesda game devs arent just sitting around tiddling thier thumbs, sure the marketing and PR departing is going full ball with these games, but not the in-house devs. Bethesda just publishes all them, in other words, they put just thier name to a product and market it to people, raking in money for a game they didnt have to make.

I do know that Bethesda Game Studios hasn't noted anything in development (maybe TES5!).

Bethesda Softworks (Zenimax Media) is the publishing name/company; Bethesda Game Studios is the "in-house" developer (credited as the maker of TES4): I do know the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt read everyones replys but heres what I know. They told game informer that Oblivion was finished and had no plans for it once so ever. I have the copy somewhere. Then I heard all this about Skyrim, and thought it was odd. Then rumors went around that they started until the next gen consoles were mentioned. I also heard that they was going to drop a bomb at E3 about it but I knew it wasnt true because its not like them. They mention things like this in magazine interviews. This is one thing I do know. Oblivion is my all time favorite game and it is a huge success. Bethesda knows this, and Bethesda likes money. They would have to be retarded not to make one, I can also guarantee you if it is released it will not be anytime soon. It will probably be 2012 at the earliest even that is a longshot seeing how we dont know much about the nexgen console and if its even possible to push the limits even further.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a huge rumor on reddit that the next GameInformer magazine might have TES5 cover art. I haven't been able to find the "source tweet" though.

The cover will make fantasy fans crap their pants

A Huge Sequel, not shown at E3

EDIT: I happen to think it's Final Fantasy whatever's next, or even Guild Wars 2, but here's to hoping!

With E3 over, and the GI cover for August not being TES5, I have to say this.

We now have nothing to suggest an annoncement in the next few months. If you see anyone saying it will be in the next GI, or at QuakeCon has nothing but fan-fever for it and no actual fact.

If it comes, it will be out of the blue, but I have a feeling it wont come. New Vegas is coming up to release, once an offical date is given I doubt we will see a TES5 annoncement until about a month after the game comes out. I see November/Decemeber the earliest date for an annoncement now.

We know Bethesda are making something....they arent hiring people to watch Hulu, it just a matter of time until they finally tell us what they are making.