DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Item Crafting v5

DaMage

Item crafting was the frist ever mod i released....so i have an attachment to it. Over time i have updated it to make it better...adn that time has come again.

If you're interested Item Crafting v4.2 ... but i dont recommend it...there are better crafting mod this that.

Now this new one i want some new features...but i also want some other ideas on what people want from a crafting mod.

currently:

You can craft all the generic weapons/armor.

Enchanted weapons crafting

--- Do you think you should be able to enchant weapons when you craft them? if so how? A special enchanting alter? or some form of randomization enchantment when you add a special item? or something else? ideas wanted.

Mining Materials

My idea for this mining is that you will use a pickaxe and 'attack' a silver or gold vein in a mine. i think from this you can get silver, gold and iron from these (yes Iron, i need it from somewhere). To get special materials like glass and ebony you'll have to buy from an Imperial Importer from Morrowind.

Okay one of the big things i want to get right is how each armor is made. Lore wise i want to know.

1. From past research, to make daedric armor, you ahve to imbune ebony with a daedric soul....is this right? Also, how would you put this in? (last time i used that you ahd to add a heart).

2. Dwarven, Orcish? How do they differ from steel?

3. Mithril, elven? Same deal.

4. When choosing what armor your making, should it have messageboxes? I'd rather not...but i cant think of a better way.

Other ideas im not sure about:

-Do you want crafting done anywhere, only at anvils, or only at specific anvils?

-What sort of 'tools' do want? keeps it as few as possible, or many to make it realisitc (personally i liek to keep it simple).

-Process for crafting: Raw Material -> Ingot -> Item? or Raw Material -> Item? Personally i wouldnt mind skipping the ingot phase..its just extra work for the player.

Now about suggestions...please say anything you want, even if you think its impossible. I really want ot make this as a crafting mod that has features people want to use.

Hmm, ok, had a little think over it, and something like this does sound pretty cool. This is probably a long response but each question brought out more questions to think about.

Mining Materials

My idea for this mining is that you will use a pickaxe and 'attack' a silver or gold vein in a mine. i think from this you can get silver, gold and iron from these (yes Iron, i need it from somewhere). To get special materials like glass and ebony you'll have to buy from an Imperial Importer from Morrowind.

Have you seen Crimson Covenant - Resource Pack 1?

It contains:

"Ore Veins:

Adds Ebony, Glass, Adamantium, and Stalhrim Veins. Also includes the Gems to go with the Veins."

I think this (or similar) would be a great compliment and fun way to gather your own resources although I would suggest not changing too many mines to accommodate, perhaps just a few, or make some new.

There's also Immersive Mining (see download section here), a mod scripted to already gather gold/silver from veins.

Question would be, would it matter where you got the materials from? (i.e. only recognized from your mod or from other mods?)

Enchanted weapons crafting

--- Do you think you should be able to enchant weapons when you craft them? if so how? A special enchanting alter? or some form of randomization enchantment when you add a special item? or something else? ideas wanted.

There's already the ability to enchant your own weapons with soul gems or sigil stones. I don't see why another is required unless you can make it completely different. A new gem type to enchant with? Not sure where they would come from and might be adding too much to the mod. What skills would the player need?

I don't know much lore or how armor is made, can't help here.

When choosing what armor your making, should it have messageboxes? I'd rather not...but i cant think of a better way.

Well, yes, it should, otherwise how would you 'choose' what you're making? I can't think of another way either.

Do you want crafting done anywhere, only at anvils, or only at specific anvils?

I think it should be specific forges like your first one is. Maybe one in each city.

What sort of 'tools' do want? keeps it as few as possible, or many to make it realisitc (personally i liek to keep it simple).

I'd say it depends on how immersive you want this to be. Does the player have to own his own tools or can they be 'borrowed' from the owner of the forge/anvil? You'd definately need a new type of hammer, maybe some tongs, callipers, an awl, something to 'weld' things together. You could get way bogged down here or you could just fluff it and presume all the tools are at the location.

Process for crafting: Raw Material -> Ingot -> Item? or Raw Material -> Item? Personally i wouldnt mind skipping the ingot phase..its just extra work for the player.

Again, it depends how immersive you want this to be. The blacksmiths in SI can do it just from the raw material, depending how much you have. Of course, there you also need the molds. Will you require molds (or something similar)? Or just stand there and suddenly create a complicated daedric cuirass in seconds?

Other random questions to think about;

Will this include material armor such as leather & fur? What about chainmail & mithril? Where would one get these materials? Where would one craft the item? There would be some sewing involved.

What stats would be applied to the items you make? Leveled to the player?

How much would these items be worth? Same as normal? Less? More?

Other ideas;

I'd like to see anims during various stages of crafting, would make it a lot more fun and interesting.

I'd like to see crafting improve the armorer skill after some time.

I wouldn't want to have to spend money to be able to craft, so I'm not really liking the idea of buying materials from vendors.

This may or may not help you, but it does offer my opinions and will give you things to think about.

I wouldn't want to have to spend money to be able to craft, so I'm not really liking the idea of buying materials from vendors.

Would strongly agree with this. One of the main attractions of crafting is to become even more self sufficient, to be able to rely on your own skills, wits and resources alone. Hunt some animals for pelts, mine for some iron ore, forage for cotton and at the end of it all you got a decent suit of reinforced leather armor. Just buying all the gear from a merchant then gluing it together takes the satisfaction away

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you're still working on this, but if you are, I have some ideas:

1. I've got no idea really, as I'm not very much into lore, perhaps you have to use soul capture on a highest ranking daedra?

2&3. Perhaps you need to speak to a teacher of the special armor crafting, High elf for elven, orc for orcish etc.

4. Perhaps add a blueprint item, wich you activate to start the crafting? Then you get touch spells to alter the stats and material cost of the armor.

Perhaps you could also make it easy to implement custom armors from other mods? (just a little idea I had, as I'd like to use it in my mod)

• 1 month later...

well Im just working on this again, but Im still not sure about the glass/ebony issue. The big problem is that those materials are only made in volcano mines, which Cyridil has none of.....but in a gameplay way, you dont want to buy the materials....

Sooo im a bit stumped.

Also, I want to add wood to materials you can gather, but I dont know what you would do with it....

• 3 weeks later...

Some plate armors had wood between the metal and inner material to help avoid dents, thoug I believe it had to be done right to actually work.

Maybe make it so that if you are skilled enough you can add wood when crafting an armor to make it last longer?

Edit: Also for the glass/ebony issue, I personally think buying it would be best but I think just as many people think the opposite, maybe make both and let people choose?

Edited by Zerengil