DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Wip] Let's break stuff!

Dominic

So I've made broken mesh of some stuff like pumpkins, watermelons and all the bottles. Arrows now stick to watermelons and pumpkins too. I also have a simple script to break them, when you attack any of those objects with destructive spells or melee objects. I started making this as a realism boost for craftybits, but I guess I'll make it available to everyone who don't want to use craftybits. The only thing standing in the way of release is figuring out a way to smash them by physical force like dropping them or throwing them to the wall with sufficient force. But for this I'll require some advanced math scripts, which I don't have a clue about. Right now I'm dabbling with a trigger box that follows the objects but it really doesn't discern between forces. If anyone has experience with this, I could use some advice :clap:

You might think that this has an impact on performance but on my 5 year old laptop there are no noticeable drawbacks.

Here's some visuals:

341_05_02_10_11_45_51.JPG

341_06_02_10_1_43_58.JPG

341_07_02_10_9_59_58.JPG

341_08_02_10_2_30_37.JPG

341_08_02_10_2_31_04.JPG

I reckon they will be a little complicated yes, but only for calculating speeds. I wonder how it's possible to compare positions over little time periods. So if something is moving at sufficient speeds and then suddenly stopped, it would run the breaking script. Actually stopping wouldn't be essential, just detecting the speed and if it's moving fast enough and the triggerbox collides with something at this time, it will work it's magic. Know anyone who might have experience with this?

And thanks IS! This just where I was pointed to post this. :clap:

Edited by Dominic

This is exactly my kind of mod! But that doesn't mean I have any clue about how to help you with collision, sorry.

If you can figure it out, it'll amp up the realism factor a lot I think. :clap::P

Does hitting an object like a glass bottle with an arrow make it shatter?

Does hitting an object like a glass bottle with an arrow make it shatter?

Yep, bottles break even now from all kinds of attacks. I've made new collisions for pumpkins and watermelons, so arrows will stick to them, and they are now easier to set up as targets too, cause I lowered the centers of gravity.

I reckon they will be a little complicated yes, but only for calculating speeds. I wonder how it's possible to compare positions over little time periods. So if something is moving at sufficient speeds and then suddenly stopped, it would run the breaking script. Actually stopping wouldn't be essential, just detecting the speed and if it's moving fast enough and the triggerbox collides with something at this time, it will work it's magic. Know anyone who might have experience with this?

And thanks IS! This just where I was pointed to post this. XD

Actually I do :)

Its exactly what I did in Telekinetic Damage. If you want I can polish the script up real quick and give you the code, shouldn't take too long I think.

Edit: I could find the force too. I think that would be a better determinant for whether a object would break or not imo :clap:

Edited by Critterman

Critterman to the rescue. :)

I like breakable skulls XD

Breakable skulls? Sure, you could just put a normal texture on skycaptains smashed skull and use that. I'm not using animations for the breaking right now, but I have a feeling I'll manage somehow. Placeatme, pushactoraway and deletereferences work well enough for the time being.

And Critterman, that would be absolutely outstanding! I can't wait, force would be indeed a better factor but I had no idea if it's possible to measure that unworthy.gif

This is very good ;) can this be done with bigger objects so they take damage, like a ship?

Well ships are a little different. This is mainly for relieving the urge to be able smash bottles, shoot arrows into pumpkins/melons and crush them to pieces. A ship would have to be custom made(well not unlike these broken meshes), with different breakable parts and trigger zones, how would you damage a ship anyway? A big spell or a catapult or something?

And Critterman, that would be absolutely outstanding! I can't wait, force would be indeed a better factor but I had no idea if it's possible to measure that unworthy.gif

It sure is, if I can measure displacement, which I can, and I know the time, which I set myself, then I can find pretty much anything.

After thinking on it more though I realized knowing the force wouldn't help much. It doesn't really effectively show when an object is suddenly stopped. Acceleration, however, would be better, and I already figured that out when I found the force. So if the acceleration is zero then the object has stopped moving, depending on the speed before it stopped would determine whether it broke or not.

And I thought this physics class I'm taking would never be useful ;)

okay i have just one thing to say....

...how the hell do you set up the mesh to do that! Ive had similar ideas in the past, but have no idea how to make the mesh seperate apart on command....

Im guessing it has all the parts with clutter collision, but how do you hold it all together to start with?

Yes, i like these alot. :D

Oh, I have that one covered, right now I'm using a script that disables the object, placeatme with the broken model, pushactoraway 2 and deletereference to clean it up in a day or so if it's not picked up. But I'm going to improve on it, by making new animated meshes that can be used instead of the original models, they will break apart with a playidle command. Much more tidy, if I manage to make them decent enough so you can't tell that the mesh is actually made of little pieces.

Edit: The broken meshes also have script on them, so if you activate them, the reference will be deleted, and you will get some pieces of stuff in you inventory. Like pumpkin/melon ingredient pieces and glass shards to be used with crafting arrowheads and bottleneck weapons, but all that is involved with craftybits.

Edited by Dominic

Sorry, not at the moment. I don't really do videos, because my computer is a piece of junk and it's nearly impossible to get good footage during gameplay. You'll just have to take my word(and pictures) on it until someone is kind enough to make a video of them. :)