DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

De-Isolation (Working with DLCs)

Cliffworms

Hail!

I'm currently having trouble regarding the KOTN DLC modding.

For Losing My Religion, I have to create a patch/addon using variables and references from the KOTN DLC.

Using de-isolation, I've been able to load KOTN's dlc, Knights.esp, and save a new plugin. I then take the new plugin, and make Knights.esp a master of it, using TES4Edit.

When I go back to the CS and load my addon, that's where the problem happens. Knights.esp as a master loads fine. But as soon as I save changes, Knights.esp is no longer a Master and, thus, my newly saved plugin loses all KOTN's references and variables I used.

Has anyone been able to work with KOTN's dlc? Am I doing something wrong with de-isolation? (I'm most likely certain I am. :rofl: )

Thanks!

Has anyone been able to work with KOTN's dlc?

I've tried that before when I wanted to add automatic updater of leveled sword. I've tried to create an ESP file with Knights.esp turned into master ESP, but the result was the same like when trying to create my mod with unchanged Knights.esp - when trying to save, regardless of does I done anything or not, the CS crashes.

I'm really surprised that you haven't received that error, makes me wonder what causes it...

I did get crashes before managing to not get any. Here's how. :rofl:

1. I loaded the CS only with Oblivion.esm loaded and saved my empty plugin.

2. Using TES4Edit, I made it dependant on Knights.esp

3. I load the plugin in the CS and then I make a modification to the Tamriel worldspace. Like moving a random rock then placing it back. (That's what I found out searching threads on the forums. A modification to the Tamriel worldspace must be done)

4. Save, no crash. But I lose the dependancy on Knights.esp. Arrrhh. XD

I've always used Wrye Bash's esmify function to make another mod a master, and it hasn't let me down yet. Also, there's a weird bug where if you make a mod dependent on another mod, you need to make some kind of edit to the Tamriel worldspace in your esp, or the CS will crash. Just sink a rock in the Abecean, or rotate some flax in the West Weald, and that will do. bg2408 told me about this last year, when I was attempting to create an interior to go with one of the empty buildings added by Better Cities, and it was recently mentioned by Arthmoor in the UOP thread, post#166 on the official forums.

More of an info-dump from me than actual advice, but maybe there's something in what I've shared that can help. XD

edit: I see I have taken so long in composing my post that you have already found the info I wanted to share! :rofl:

Yep, the basics are:

* ESMify the ESP you want to work on with Bash.

* Load that into the CS, make an edit somewhere in the Tamriel worldspace so you won't crash the CS.

* Do whatever work needs done, saving your new plugin.

* ESPify before loading it into the game to test things, or you'll end up with huge chunks of landscape missing.

Once you're satisfied the changes are what you want, use TES4Edit to clean your new plugin because doing things with deisolated ESPs makes a big mess. It will have edits to things you didn't touch, among other things.