DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Need help w/ quest mod making

freewaydog

Hey, relax. :yes:

Don't know the answer to your forum question, but I imagine the bridge isn't the wood one that leads to Bravil's main gate but the stone one directly to its west that the Leyawiin road crosses, safely out of sight of any guards that may irritate the local bandits.

• Upvote 1

Oh, how frustrating! See, this post

You know what I find frustrating? Impatient irate users who post complaints in random places on the forums instead of making a timely report to a staff member in PM or posting in the Bug report thread and act like their happiness is paramount to everything else. :yes:

No user can delete posts on any proper forum, it's a security issue, so you'll just have to deal with that one I'm afraid. As posted in the Bug Report thread here: the site is currently in a state of flux as we just had a major site upgrade and are having to manually fix a variety of issues created by it. Due to the update, sometimes hiccups may occur like random errors, or things not saving when we want them too. Everything will level out, you will have to be patient until then.

The saving issue was documented already and is being worked on, it's not just you. :)

Please try to calm down about things; anymore rants like those will get your thread closed as they are extremely unproductive for anyone, you most of all. I've asked you nicely a few times to bring your manners to the table here, i don't respond to rants. :blush:

I'm sorry! This is a good forum & I want to be on it peacefully.

You know what I find frustrating? Impatient irate users who post complaints in random places on the forums instead of making a timely report to a staff member in PM or posting in the Bug report thread and act like their happiness is paramount to everything else. :yes:

No user can delete posts on any proper forum, it's a security issue, so you'll just have to deal with that one I'm afraid. As posted in the Bug Report thread here: the site is currently in a state of flux as we just had a major site upgrade and are having to manually fix a variety of issues created by it. Due to the update, sometimes hiccups may occur like random errors, or things not saving when we want them too. Everything will level out, you will have to be patient until then.

The saving issue was documented already and is being worked on, it's not just you. :)

Please try to calm down about things; anymore rants like those will get your thread closed as they are extremely unproductive for anyone, you most of all. I've asked you nicely a few times to bring your manners to the table here, i don't respond to rants. :blush:

Don't know the answer to your forum question, but I imagine the bridge isn't the wood one that leads to Bravil's main gate but the stone one directly to its west that the Leyawiin road crosses, safely out of sight of any guards that may irritate the local bandits.

Where exactly is that bridge in the cs, may I ask?

In Tamriel World, cell BravilRiver07, coordinate 13, -8

Thanks, but I don't know why I got Tamriel World, 14, -7 or 14 ,-8. Anyway, I thought I did everything to the tee, right? Followed all the instructions ver batim (sp?)? But, however, for some reason, I can't get that last part. When I play tested, I could not get the topic where the quest giver says, "Good job", etc. & gives me the money reward. I wonder what went wrong? I mean, I checked the tut, checked my mod, everything seems to be in place, the stages seem to be in order just how the tut says, the dialogue & journal entries are all there, I just don't know. Please help me. I wonder if I am leaving something out either that is not there, or IS there & did not see???

2 things jump out. First your stage 20 greeting doesn't have anything linking it to the murder topic which is why it isn't running. So in the Add Choices box, rightclick>AddTopic and add the LingTutorialMurder topic.

From the tutorial

We now need to set up the condition to check what quest stage we are at, so that it doesn't continually play the first greeting dialogue.

In your murder topic, because you have two lines in the same topic you should add GetStage conditions to them as well, the first should be GetStage 0 the second GetStage 20 so it knows which line to say when.

Other note, when a line of dialogue is the last line, check the goodbye flag so the NPC exits the convo and doesn't force the player to every time. :thumbup:

Those changes and your quest worked for me, you have everything else in place.

I'm sorry, I am trying to look to see what you mean here. You say, "Add Choices box"--where is that? I am looking under the Topics tab & the Quest Stages tab, but I do not see it. & I hope this does not sound like a stupid question, but exactly which topics or greetings need to have what linked to them and where are they? I wish I could catch on faster, but I can't. Maybe it is because I am not so young to be able to learn things quickly? I don't know what it is.

2 things jump out. First your stage 20 greeting doesn't have anything linking it to the murder topic which is why it isn't running. So in the Add Choices box, rightclick>AddTopic and add the LingTutorialMurder topic.

From the tutorial

In your murder topic, because you have two lines in the same topic you should add GetStage conditions to them as well, the first should be GetStage 0 the second GetStage 20 so it knows which line to say when.

Other note, when a line of dialogue is the last line, check the goodbye flag so the NPC exits the convo and doesn't force the player to every time. :thumbup:

Those changes and your quest worked for me, you have everything else in place.

Edited by freewaydog

I'm sorry, I am trying to look to see what you mean here. You say, "Add Choices box"--where is that? I am looking under the Topics tab & the Quest Stages tab, but I do not see it. & I hope this does not sound like a stupid question, but exactly which topics or greetings need to have what linked to them and where are they? I wish I could catch on faster, but I can't. Maybe it is because I am not so young to be able to learn things quickly? I don't know what it is.

All the change you will make here are on the Topic Tab.

Click on the Topic GREETING in the left hand list pane. There are three greetings you have added. These are read by the NPC from top to bottom. Your top line has a condition CetStage YourQuest == 0 meaning it will run at stage zero. The next greeting is set to run at stage 10 so the last in the list is your greeting for stage 20.

Click on the third line in the list of greetings (your stage 20 greeting :sick: ) The Add Choices box is a little list pane to the right of the page. There are 2 of these boxes, one is Add Topics the other is Add Choices Rightclick in the box and you have a choice to add a topic to the list, add the LingTutorialMurder topic

Then in the left hand list pane, click on the line of dialogue for stage 20 in that list and add the condition GetStage QuestName == 20 to the list of conditions on that line. That will make sure that you get the option to move the conversation forward and he will have something to say. :thumbup:

If you need pics I can put some up for you but it will be a bit, as I have company at the moment. :shrug:

Ok, goody that worked, thanks, DarkRider. Now for the final touch: Where do I get those silent mp3 files again & how do I install them? I'm afraid to fiddle w/ the lip synching because then I would need to use the old version of the cs & I do not want to be bothered w/ that, unless there is another way. Please advise, thanks. :thumbup:

Yay! I did it! :thumbup: Thanks so much! Now, to figure out how to do more quests,..

UPDTATE: Ok, I am back to working on this tut, and I am really having a difficult time w/ #10 on. It is not explicit enough, and I can't seem to find the interior that it shows. (See my previous post in this thread.) Please advise, thanks.

Edited by freewaydog

The interior is not one piece. It's a group of square pieces called kits. The group in that tutorial is made up of cathedral crypt kits. You will need to drag multiple pieces into the render window and fit them together using snap to grid. If you are not familiar with using snap to grid there's a tutorial in the CS Basics classroom.

On another note, you really could use ANY interior to finish the tutorial so don't get hung up on this aspect. If the kits are too tough, use a one piece house interior instead :D

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, although I followed a couple of tuts & made my 1st quest mod, it is not as easy as I thought, sadly. I even had to have DarkRider help me w/ tech issues & stuff. I don't know how I will be able to add to that Sirens mod that I linked to in the quote below. I need more help.

Where is a good place to start learning how to make quest mods? I eventually want to learn to add more content to this mod, which somebody else made. However, tbh, I am not ready for such a project yet, I guess I need to learn the basics 1st of scripting, dialogue, adding silent mp3 files & lipmoving, etc.

Also, not to mention, I wish I knew how to add quests for this mod as well!

Edited by freewaydog

The tutorials can only teach you the basic mechanics of questbuilding. Every quest presents unique challenges. Unfortunately, we can't really help you unless you have specfic questions. You should plan out what quest you want to create and then post back when you hit specific stumbling blocks. That's something we may be able to advise you on. Good luck! ;)