DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Bows low with a flourish.

Glimiril

Hi, everyone.

So over joyed to find this site, and upon briefly browsing it, a really appreciate the feel of the community here already.

I have been playing RPGs since I can remember, first playing Dungeon Master so many years ago. At the time computers were a little less powerful than of today, and I used to programme professionally (or well I got paid to make applications for a working environment), though my real love has always been fantasy fiction and my desire to create a world of my own. In the early days I did to a degree and distributed my work among friends, but real life meant I strayed from this hobby, and many years followed of barren gaming, of pick up and play material. As I in later years eventually got a PC again, and discovered Morrowind as it was bundled with Video Card I bought. I fell in love with the new depth of play, and at the time was not on the internet, so modding seemed daunting, as I had never used 3d modelling or proper textures before, and I had no source of knowledge other than trial and error, as usual I got distracted by life, and left those thoughts behind me. I got Oblivion when it came out, but I felt something was not quite fulfilling about it, and completed it at the time, and went on to pastures new. I fell in love with MMORPGs at this time GuildWars to start with, and spent many a happy period playing that, I discovered LOTRO and took on Role playing properly, I so enjoyed my experience there with like minded players, but alas I had to tighten my money belt, and LOTRO wasn't crucial to life survival.

It was just over a year ago, I downloaded a free MMORPG in late beta that could have addons made for it, addons was the only reason I enjoyed playing WOW for 3 months, yet this game was still new, and I wanted the game to have user customized layout of the UI, in particular Action Buttons, is it is so fundamental to the experience and I found it totally lacking. I asked on the forums if anyone planned to do anything, and the answer was it was too complicated and with out a list of functions from developers API wouldn't happen. Strangely I took this as a challenge as I was out of work at the time, and started to learn lua and XML, and I achieved my vision, I doubled the amount of action buttons, made them all independently skinned, positioned, or could be grouped together, I placed useful functions on to them to for instance highlight the button if it was a buff and was still active, and a whole host more.I was truly amazed I did it. The hardest work was when I swallowed and published as many on forums were asking the same question I had originally asked, was in dealing with supporting my addon, and this made me eventually quit the community and the game was also going backwards in my opinion in it's development after release.

However something always nagged me about this game, and some youtube clips I discovered inspired me to blow the dust off, and re-install.

WOW is all I can say, I feel a total amateur next to the awesome work that has been produced, and in awe of all that have made mods for this game. The CS kept calling to me, but with the choices available I was spoilt for choice, and play style. I recently downloaded an excellent concept mod that overhauled Oblivions game style and made it so much more, called ROM Revised Oblivion Mod and having read Underground's excellent pdf he supplied with it, I have been inspire to look at CS and have discovered I understand quite alot of it to my surprise and feel like having a go. Then reading through the Bethesda forum I discovered a link to this site. Originally I came looking for a mod, then found Duke Patricks work here, whom I only recently was searching for his work on TESNexus from Arwens recommended Mods Post and found he had removed. I looked at something he said about this site, and decided to read a few more pages from it. The tutorial section really appealed to me, so well laid out and made.

So I know this is a long winded introduction, and I apologise for any strain I have caused you the readers eyes, but I had to register and the welcome was so nice to this site, I decided to post.

And yes I'll shall be quietly learning to mod for this game from this site, and hope I produce something that will not look out of place next to the great works already made.

Thank you for reading

(/bows low with a slight flourish)

• Upvote 2

Welcome to TESA! :D You've come to the right place to learn. We're loaded with friendly, helpful modders around here, as well students on their to becoming modders. I got my start here as well. :P I look forward to seeing you round the forums, and in the shoutbox if you're in the mood for some silliness. LOL

:wave: Welcome again and have a cookie! :cool:

Welcome to the Alliance :cool:

That free mmo you modded the action buttons for,would it be Runes Of Magic by any chance ?

Yes, Darkstone, it was Runes of Magic, and that addon was called Barf2, a name I thought apt in so many ways. Though I created other addons, that was by far the one I felt I had achieved something. I was surprised even on Korean severs they used it, and adapted it to their language. I shared it as I felt the game needed it, rather than looking for plaudits. Still I love creating and have already gone through a lot of the tutorial here, which I must say is excellent, though I think my real strength will be in scripting and ideas that are rough around the edges, but who knows.

Did you play ROM then darkstone?

I did indeed play RoM,and I also used Barf2 amongst a large amount of other addons.I`ve managed to find a screenie of my ui from RoM using your addon.It`s nice to meet the guy that actually coded this great addon :cool:

barf4.jpg

That's all I ever wanted was for others to find it useful. Thank you so much for that, made my heart sing.