DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Looking for some worthwhile cRPG

ZuTheSkunk

I hope it's a good place for this topic.

I'm looking for some good cRPG, as I'm currently bored of Oblivion, I've never get myself to play Morrowind for longer (I've finished his storyline only once; plus, my computer doesn't like MGE, giving lower FPS rate), and Nehrim requires too good computer.

I have a few requirements:

- It must be cRPG, not just something that is called cRPG, but in fact contains only many XP points to gain and long, linear storyline with lots of fighting (unless it's something really good and not hard - in this case I can consider it). Remember that "RPG" means "Role-Playing Game".

- It cannot be a new game, i.e. from 2006+. Why? Simply because my computer is not the finest machine in the world...

- It cannot be boring. It must be somewhat addictive, and enough user-friendly for me to get its rules rather quickly. Otherwise it's quite possible that I'll just leave it in the middle or in the beginning...

- It cannot be hard. I'm not the fan of loading the save thousands of times to finally defeat those damned enemies or whatever. Complex puzzles, yes, but not difficult combats.

- It would be better if you can suggest some free/abandonware games, but you can suggest those payable too.

cRPG, cRPG-like or cRPG-called games that I was playing and still remember them are:

* Planescape: Torment;

* Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (never was able to finish them though, there's always something that makes it impossible for me);

* Morrowind;

* Divine Divinity;

* The Witcher;

* Might and Magic 7 & 8;

* Gothic 1, 2 and 3;

* Fallout 1 and 2 (please, do not mention Beth's Fall);

* Neverwinter Nights 2 (never got myself to the first one);

It's rather possible that there were others, but I've forgot about them.

Edited by ZuTheSkunk

Zu, that's a pretty good list. Unfortunately, neither of the follow-ons to Divine Divinity are as good as the original. Have you considered Baldur's Gate 2? Another possibility is the original Deus Ex. It's a shooter with real RPG content. Normally I hate shooters, but Deus Ex is much more than that. Also, the graphics are quite simple by present standards, so should work fine on your older machine. PC Gamer magazine recently voted Deus Ex the best PC game of all time! I certainly liked it. BTW, stay away from Deus Ex 2 Invisible War.

Good luck. I'll be interested to see what others suggest.

Have you considered Baldur's Gate 2?

Yes. I haven't mentioned it, thinking that term "Baldur's Gate" automatically means both games. :D

Another possibility is the original Deus Ex. It's a shooter with real RPG content. Normally I hate shooters, but Deus Ex is much more than that. Also, the graphics are quite simple by present standards, so should work fine on your older machine. PC Gamer magazine recently voted Deus Ex the best PC game of all time! I certainly liked it. BTW, stay away from Deus Ex 2 Invisible War.

I have tried that, and surprisingly, I've liked Invisible War, while original game was too complex for me - I've been unable to understand its rules, the game was hard for me etc. It probably doesn't tell anything good about me, but...

Unfortunately, neither of the follow-ons to Divine Divinity are as good as the original.

Indeed - I've tried Beyond Divinity and stopped playing rather shortly, thinking that it's far worse than original.

Thanks for reply. :D

Edited by ZuTheSkunk

You forgot the grand-daddy of all first person RPG. "Dungeon Master". I also liked "Captive" which was based on Dungeon Master but was full of infinate worlds of puzzle filled fun.

Another good one is Albion. Best thing is that its now free to download and play.

I believe the "Ultima" series were the first RPG games made. Some of these are now free to download and play too.

You forgot the grand-daddy of all first person RPG. "Dungeon Master". I also liked "Captive" which was based on Dungeon Master but was full of infinate worlds of puzzle filled fun.

Another good one is Albion. Best thing is that its now free to download and play.

I believe the "Ultima" series were the first RPG games made. Some of these are now free to download and play too.

OMG....Ablion is an awesome game.....the story doesnt invole choices and is a bit linear.....but wow, i was hooked on that game for ages...never finished it, but really fun. It has party turn based combat, but an open world to explore, can take a while to figure out the magic system though.

Just a note: It starts on a spaceship...but it is actually a fanasty sword & magic......and it has khajiits....or at least creatures that look, behave and sound like them.

Well you could try the first NWN. To me it was the best of them. It's hard finding good RPG's to play.

Well, I tried that before, but never got myself to play it for longer. I'm not sure why... perhaps it would be different if I would try add-ons rather than vanilla campaign.

There's one other that I forgot to mention: Arx Fatalis.

Yes, I heard about that one before and I was even considering it. I think I'll try it now. Thanks! :)

You forgot the grand-daddy of all first person RPG. "Dungeon Master".

From what I've learned, it seems to be based mostly on combat... I was thinking more about Eye of the Beholder, in the similar style but in D&D, which I know and understand (more or less).

This one looks promising, I think I'll try it soon. :)

Hmm. I'll check it, thanks for info. :)

Great thanks for all responses so far. :hugs:

Since Willie brought it up, some may be interested in the beginning of CRPG's on microcomputers.

Rogue (~1980) is often credited with being the first CRPG for microcomputers (they were played on mainframes and minicomputers before that). However, Temple of Apshai (~1979) and Akalabeth: World of Doom (~1979) were a little earlier. World of Doom, written by Lord British, was the precursor to the Ultima series (Ultima 1 ~ 1980). The Wizardry series followed soon after (Wizardry 1 ~ 1981). I remember playing most of these and thinking how great they were. All those graphics look comical today, but they were certainly fun at the time.

My favorite is still Wizardry Bane of the Cosmic Forge, crappy graphics and all. :hugs:

EDIT: I forgot one that is especially relevant to modders: Eamon. Eamon was a text based RPG generator. Originally released for the Apple in 1980 with a small bundle of RPG adventures, it included an RPG editor that allowed users to write their own. 'Best I remember, if you wrote one, you sent it to the original author and, if it was anywhere like half decent, he would add it to the bundle. That was thirty years ago and not too different from what we call modding today.

Edited by Vince

From what I've learned, it seems to be based mostly on combat... I was thinking more about Eye of the Beholder, in the similar style but in D&D, which I know and understand (more or less).

Not really. You pick your 'crew' and that decision will determine how you play the whole game. You have food management issues, there are puzzles and traps all over that you must overcome. Its actually pretty fun.

Now your talking "Dungeon Master" you had to learn your spells :hugs:

Should check into Two Worlds. It's a pretty good game, decent graphics - though might encroach on the 2006+ limitation. They didn't seem anywhere near as demanding as Oblivion.

Ah, memories. I got my first taste of the RPG scene with The Bards' Tale series. I was hooked instantly. I still count them among my all time favorites, along with the Ultima series.

Hmmm... most of what I would suggest has already been stated here (mainly Neverwinter Nights + the three expansions).

Have you tried Beyond Good and Evil? It's gameplay is more along the lines of the N64 Zelda games, but it's one of my favorites.

If you're into point and click adventure games, the Penumbra series (from the makers of the recently released Amnesia which is *scary*) is pretty good, and it doesn't ask a lot from your hardware.

Should check into Two Worlds. It's a pretty good game, decent graphics - though might encroach on the 2006+ limitation. They didn't seem anywhere near as demanding as Oblivion.

I'm afraid that Two Worlds is too good for my computer, results in low FPS rate.

Have you tried Beyond Good and Evil? It's gameplay is more along the lines of the N64 Zelda games, but it's one of my favorites.

I did, great game! :yes: (Although it's hardly an cRPG)

If you're into point and click adventure games, the Penumbra series (from the makers of the recently released Amnesia which is *scary*) is pretty good, and it doesn't ask a lot from your hardware.

I'm afraid that it's not for me - I'm not a fan of survival horrors.

Guess Interplay deiced to try and ride on the success of fallout 3......or does Bethesda hold the rights to sell the original fallouts now? I forget.

There was a trial (is this a correct word? Damned translators...) between Interplay and Beth, just because of matter of selling older Fallouts. If I remember correctly, Interplay has won it...

There was a trial (is this a correct word? Damned translators...) between Interplay and Beth, just because of matter of selling older Fallouts. If I remember correctly, Interplay has won it...

Close enough Zu. :)

However, interplay has NOT won. The suit is ongoing, and the pretrial draft isn't even due until the end of December. (most recent info I can find.) There have been some rumors that 1. Interplay won. 2. Beth dropped the suit. Neither of these seem to be correct.

It is my understanding that beth owns all the rights to the single player versions, and is disputing the rights to the MMO that interplay had been contracted for. However, beth contends that interplay broke its contract...... I am not really sure exactly WHO is selling the games, all I know is, at one point, the first two were free, and now, they are not....

Such fun.