DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Joining npc with quest...

davethewave

I'm having trouble with joining my npc with the dialogue I created... I have my npc in a custom faction. I made a quest and a simply quest script (to follow). Under "topics" I have my custom dialogue. Function parameter is set to my id. Condition function is "getisid". What am I doing wrong?

It seems like it should be that when I go to my npc window, I should have a script for the quest in there (or something like that), but the only script that window will recognize is an "object" script.

The only script the quest will recognize is a "quest" script... It seems there should be something that ties these together.

Note too that you need to set the quest priority to an appropriate value as well. 50 is what Beth uses for miscellaneous quests. If you leave it at 0, your NPC will never use your custom dialogue because it will never be a higher priority than the generic dialogue.

Thank you for the replies so far...

I do indeed have a greeting topic, and in fact, I got rid of the default dialogue according to a tutorial I read (it worked, because I played the game to see if it worked and my npc just had a message saying "has no greeting" or something to that effect).

I also set the priority to 100 to make sure of this (according to another tutorial).

I have dialogue for "GREETING" (2 messages), and one for "stay" and one for "follow". What is the "result script" box for?

What is "run on target" checkbox for? I checked it because I want him to follow me and I set AI package to "follow" and target to "player".

What is "run on target" checkbox for? I checked it because I want him to follow me and I set AI package to "follow" and target to "player".

Ah that's your problem right there. That means that it's running the check on the one talking to the NPC, which in this case is you the player. Since the player doesn't pass the GetIsID check, the dialogue isn't playing. Uncheck that and see if it works.

Run of Target means that condition will be applied to the target, as in if the condition is to run when the player has 50 pieces of gold, the Run on Target flag checks the player, not the NPC.

To make an NPC follow using dialogue you need to give the NPC a Follow AI package. Then on your GREETING add your follow and wait topics to the Add Choices box.

For the follow choice you need to give the dialogue the result script: StopWaiting FollowPackageID

For your wait choice you need to give the dialogue the result script: Wait FollowPackageID

Run of Target means that condition will be applied to the target, as in if the condition is to run when the player has 50 pieces of gold, the Run on Target flag checks the player, not the NPC.

To make an NPC follow using dialogue you need to give the NPC a Follow AI package. Then on your GREETING add your follow and wait topics to the Add Choices box.

For the follow choice you need to give the dialogue the result script: StopWaiting FollowPackageID

For your wait choice you need to give the dialogue the result script: Wait FollowPackageID

Cydonian_Knight: It was unchecked before and it did the same thing, I checked it because I thought it might work. To say I tried it, I did uncheck the box and it didn't work.

DarkRider: Thank you also for the very helpful information. I added "stay" and "follow" to the Add Choices box.

When I tried to write the script you gave me, my total script ignorance (I literally know nothing) shined through...

Here is the script as it was tutored through a basic companion tutorial:

ScriptName StinkyScript

short follow

When I tried to add what you gave me, this pops up for line 5:

"invalid block type for quest script"

I find it odd that there is no manual for this program, no where I can go to for reference on definitions...

All I'm after is to have a companion mod that is like a comic relief; a drunkard (Stinky Drinky) who is a hot-headed body guard, but at the same time isn't tough at all and gets his butt kicked for starting fights with higher-level npc's...

The scripts I gave you were result scripts. One for your follow dialogue and one for your wait dialogue. You don't actually write a script. Just paste the in the Result script box you asked about. Replace the FollowPackageID with the ID of the follow package you create for your companion. Most quests do not require quest scripts at all. :lol:

Great- the advice has been pure gold so far- I finally followed your instructions correctly, and in the game, he now uses one of the greetings and the stay or follow choice... How do I get the other greeting to work? How do I get my voices I recorded to work? I followed the video tutorial perfectly, and when I click on the file in the edit response window, I hear my voice file... There is a slight delay before the voice starts... Could this be the problem?

Also, now you know my goal, any other helpful advice I might be overlooking would be greatly appreciated...

You can check the random flag on both greeting to make him choose one or the other at random, but make sure you add the follow wait topics to the add choices box of the second greeting as well.

For recording dialogue for Oblivion we recommend using Audacity. We have a 2 part tutorial here for getting your voice made in audacity,

Once you have the files made just name them according to the file name given to each line in the CS (double click on the line to see the file name) and add the files to your Data\Sounds\voice folder to hear them playback. :lol:

You can check the random flag on both greeting to make him choose one or the other at random, but make sure you add the follow wait topics to the add choices box of the second greeting as well.

For recording dialogue for Oblivion we recommend using Audacity. We have a 2 part tutorial here for getting your voice made in audacity,

Once you have the files made just name them according to the file name given to each line in the CS (double click on the line to see the file name) and add the files to your Data\Sounds\voice folder to hear them playback. :lol:

I used Sony Sound Forge to convert and setup the files- They work, just not in the game...

The npc is still using default nord dialogue- I read a tutorial on that and though I did it right-

I went to quest: generic>Conditions-getinfaction (to my faction)>comp== and value 0.00

I'll check that tutorial you gave me to see if anything is different from what I did.

Keep in mind that even if the sound settings are correct, some programs hardcode sound files in such a way that they will not play in Oblivion even if they play in the CS.

Not sure which tutorial you read but you do not want to change a vanilla quest (ie adding your excluding faction to it's conditions) if it can be avoided. It's better, if you want to nuke all dialogue other than your own, to duplicate the race, in this case Nord, and make it a non-playable race, that will exclude your NPC from all other dialogues. :lol:

Keep in mind that even if the sound settings are correct, some programs hardcode sound files in such a way that they will not play in Oblivion even if they play in the CS.

Not sure which tutorial you read but you do not want to change a vanilla quest (ie adding your excluding faction to it's conditions) if it can be avoided. It's better, if you want to nuke all dialogue other than your own, to duplicate the race, in this case Nord, and make it a non-playable race, that will exclude your NPC from all other dialogues. :lol:

Great idea- I did already, but what is a disposition modifier?

The disposition modifier alters the +\- reactions of NPCs toward the player or other NPCs. A positive modifier will make them like you. :)

Rumors are under the default topic INFOGENERAL on the conversation tab. :yes:

[EDIT] You can check the "No Rumors" flag to turn off Rumors for your NPC if you'd rather not flesh out that dialogue. XD

Well, I need some troubleshooting on the npc not following. I tamed him so that he doesn't attack everyone in sight, and I can talk to him (although no voice import yet), but there is a greeting and an option to follow, and I'll tell him "follow", he says ok, then stands there.

Sounds like you didn't create the follow package and add the result scripts properly. Remember on the follow line of dialogue the result script should be

StopWaiting PackageID

If you can take a screen shot of the topics tab with that line entered it can help us see what's wrong. Quest issues are tough to do blind. :drool:

I am now able to take screenshots of my computer screen...

Update: Oblivion opens, but when you try to load a game, it gets stuck. It was working fine for a while again....

Also, TES4Gecko is a pain in the ***. I uninstalled then reinstalled oblivion, I also moved the folder out of program files... This is becoming not so fun.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of stuff needlessly and getting frustrated. Try to step back a bit so you don't get pushed to quitting. If you can't screenshot would you let me see your .esp so i can help you? I'm a teacher here and I'm not going to hurt it, folks send me .esps all the time. You can still do the work, but unless I can see what you're hung up on, there's little I or anyone can do to help. :yes:

Sounds like you are doing a lot of stuff needlessly and getting frustrated. Try to step back a bit so you don't get pushed to quitting. If you can't screenshot would you let me see your .esp so i can help you? I'm a teacher here and I'm not going to hurt it, folks send me .esps all the time. You can still do the work, but unless I can see what you're hung up on, there's little I or anyone can do to help. ;)

I'm with that, I'm definitely not worried about you hurting it... About the needless stuff; I was following up on your guys' suggestions on how to get the Gecko to work. It still doesn't...

How do I send you my mod? I'll do it right away... And what can I do about the game getting stuck? It happens without the mod enabled.

Send me a PM, in your inbox click "Compose New" and type a message. Below the text field is an attachment button, use it to attach your .esp, but make sure it uploads completely before you send the message. ;)

As for the game stalling without the mod installed, since you did a reinstall, I'm going to guess something got messed up in the install. Try reinstalling to clear it up. :D

Send me a PM, in your inbox click "Compose New" and type a message. Below the text field is an attachment button, use it to attach your .esp, but make sure it uploads completely before you send the message. ;)

As for the game stalling without the mod installed, since you did a reinstall, I'm going to guess something got messed up in the install. Try reinstalling to clear it up. :D

It was sticking before the reinstall and it didn't help... Can I send you the oblivion .esp and my mod to see if there are conflicts/need to be cleaned via Gecko or whatever?