DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Loss of Spoken Dialogue

Arthmoor

Got a strange one here. One of my roommates has lost the spoken audio for NPC dialogue. The strange part is, it only goes silent when he speaks to the NPC. Background conversation dialogue plays normally.

This isn't mod related either since I had him unload all the mods he's using and started a fresh game on a fresh Oblivion.ini file. We listened to Valen Dreth taunt us from across the hall, then listened to the Blades and the Emperor discuss his dead sons. Then the Blades ordering the player to the window. Everything was working perfectly right up until the Emperor started the conversation with the player. At that point, only the subtitles were displayed.

Even stranger still, in all test cases the lip sync was working perfectly.

We then checked a few other games on the computer and they're all fine, including those with voice acted characters. It even plays the loose MP3 files for the dialogue just fine in media player.

And the last bit of strangeness? He played the game sometime last week and had no issues of any sort. Nothing on this PC has changed since I set up the game for him to use mods.

He's using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, has 4GB of RAM, a large hard drive, a Radeon 4850 with 2GB and on board Realtek sound. The drivers are all up to date. DirectX has been updated as well, including the proper DX9 setup for the game.

I'm stumped. I've never seen anything have so specific an outcome like this. Usually you'll have all audio go at the same time, or it will be just the voiced audio, but never something where the voiced audio dies ONLY when the player walks up to talk to an NPC.

Any ideas?

Yikes. I've had a similar issue in the past. None of the NPC dialogue would play during conversation and the subtitles would shoot by too fast to read while the lip Synch was just fine. :shrug: Despite months of looking for help on the OF I never did find a solution that worked and ended up completely removing the game from my HDD and reinstalling from scratch.

Well that's a pain but I guess it's worth a try. Nothing else seems to be forthcoming. Fortunately in this case the dialogue subtitles are still operating at a normal speed.

Oh, and no foreign mods or mods with foreign charsets in their filenames either.

Omg I can help!

I had this exact same issue about a week ago, and it came down to my speaker settings. I had just gotten a new 5.1 set, and naturally set the sound card to 5.1. I saw mention on a forum somewhere else (no idea where, I just googled for a while) that the sound card can't be set to anything but 2.1. Only the direct conversations are affected, all the other ambient voice and sound effects play just fine.

Basically, once I set the sound card back to 2.1, the spoken dialogue returns! You said nothing has changed on the PC, but this seems like too specific a problem to have very many possible causes.

I still get sound from all 6 of the speakers on the 2.1 setting. It may have something to do with the sound card as well, though. I was using the "Realtek HD Audio Device" on the motherboard, but just did a little upgrade to a Creative Soundblaster Audigy. I got the speakers after the card, but if Andalay is using the same card that I was, then I guess the 5.1 setting isn't always an issue. It takes 10 seconds though, worth a shot :shrug: