DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

How to create/add a NEW door?

Kian the Bard

Hullo, all.

I'm very new to TESA, so please be patient with anything I may have overlooked or gaffes I may make.

I'm working on a housemod that requires a NEW door model (can't just pull an existing one out of the CS, because it has a unique shape.) I've got the model already--it's from a modder's resource--but it's not scripted to do anything. Nothing I've tried has succeeded in getting it to link, and so far I haven't found anything online that tells how to do this. Yes, I'm taking the modding course, but that covers using pre-scripted doors from the CS, not making new ones. Can anyone clue me in?

Many thanks--

--Kian the Bard/StormDrummer

• Upvote 1

Hi Kian,

Doors in Oblivion are not necessary scripted, most have animations built in and require no scripts to funtion. Sounds like you are using this door as a load door since you want to "link" them.

In the object window you need to select DOORS then right click>New in that list to make a new door object. Give it a unique ID like aaKianOddDoor, name it Door to, click the nif button and direct it to your custom mesh in the data folder. Last thing to add are open/close sounds. Click on those buttons respectively and choose the sounds you want from the list for each (door sounds start with DRS) Then click OK to save your new door. It will behave just like a vanilla door then. You just drag/drop it into the render window, position it, double click on it and choose the teleport tab to direct it to the other door :yes:

There are tutorials in our library (follow the tutorials link :up: and look under Oblivion>Misc) for more tips on using Resources.

If you have more questions let us know :wave:

Well, that seems to make sense. I think I can stumble through it. Thank you, Dark Rider. Also for the encouragement--I'm sure I can come up with plenty of questions! :P Like...I don't suppose there's any way I can get that to work with my existing doors, instead of reinstalling them? (that was non-standard too, and a royal pain in the nethers...) And, where and how do I upload (homework, f'rinstance,) and how do I take clear screenshots (mine are under the curse of darkness...)

Until next time, thanks again! : )

We're here to help. :)

If you added the doors as say a Static object, you will just have to clean the static version out of your mod using a utility like TES4Gecko (cleaning is covered in CS Basics Lesson #4 and also explained in THIS tutorial). There's no way to move an object from one category to another if you accidentally add it to the wrong one unfortunately. You'll have to chock it up to a learning experience :D

A lot of folks use FRAPs for screenshots as there tend to be fewer issues than with the built in screen capture process. See if that helps :yes:

To upload your homework, save your screenshots as .jpg files and upload them to a free album here at TESA or to an outside photohost like Photobucket Then copy the tag associated with each photo and paste it into the body of your reply text. :)

We're here to help. :)

If you added the doors as say a Static object, you will just have to clean the static version out of your mod using a utility like TES4Gecko (cleaning is covered in CS Basics Lesson #4 and also explained in THIS tutorial). There's no way to move an object from one category to another if you accidentally add it to the wrong one unfortunately. You'll have to chock it up to a learning experience :D

A lot of folks use FRAPs for screenshots as there tend to be fewer issues than with the built in screen capture process. See if that helps :yes:

To upload your homework, save your screenshots as .jpg files and upload them to a free album here at TESA or to an outside photohost like Photobucket Then copy the %7Boption%7D tag associated with each photo and paste it into the body of your reply text. :)

--UPDATE-- Got the doors up & running! Still a couple of little anomalies due to not knowing what I was doing, but in-game they work as advertised. Lots of good meat in here from Dark Rider, and with that problem out of the way, I shall remain very orthodox in class. See you, all! :)