DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPZ] Mr Bear's Elemental Magic (with video!)

Hi guys,

I have only just released my first mod, Ramshackle Armory, but my second is well on its way!

(NOTE: I explain everything I am about to write in the video linked below. This text is more or less for people with slow connections, at work, or with a severe phobia of youtube.)

Watch the indepth (and rather long) gameplay footage here!

The idea for Elemental magic comes from early thoughts about Skyrim and the contextual magic system alot of people were talking about. Swapping out one spell for a similar one every five minuets is one of my few gripes about oblivion (particulaly because alot of my characters are mages), that and the fact that an end-game character has five ranged lightning spells that do the EXACTLY the same thing but to a differnt degree. Also, I didn't like the fact that all the offensive spells were essentially the same- damage health, fire damage, shock damage- who cares when all you get is a differnt colour of magic blob to sling at people? Well, Elemental Magic aims to offer something more interesting, exciting and uesful!

Each spell unlocks new uses as you grow in power that can be activated with differnt button combinations- with one spell you can stagger an opponant with a gust of wind, blow them away with gale force, pull them close or even lift them in the air and slam them down! The very same spell can use all of these functions in an AOE spell to- six functions with one spell! (see how this works in the video above.) More spells will be added to cast lightning down upon people, burn them in the sun, drain light from your surroundings to hide, convert fatigue to magicka or health, boost strength or speed to superhuman levels, teleport yourself and friends around the provinence or create all powerful lightning storms that stay in the air electrocuting those unlucky enough to be caught in them! All of these spells will be fully leveled- with their effects and cost depending on what your chi level is....

Chi is the new magic system I have introduced for EM. Your chi level will increase as you play and level up, and factors in player level and willpower amongst other things. By using one of the new spells, you channel Elemental Power from the enviroment through you and into the form of whatever you are trying to do. This however exausts you, sometimes to the point of collapse- casting these spells drains fatigue. These makes using these spells a very tactical experience- used correctly and they can tip vastly uneven odds, over use them and you will collapse from the strain and lie defencless as your opponants slowly finish you off.

EM is a work in progress, but a good lot of figuring things out is allready done and it won't be too long before you can add these powers to your oblivion world. However, I have spells to script, quests to write, and undoubably, bugs to fix- and more important than anything, I have exam week in a month! This makes it hard to put a release date down on paper (or screen), but it is almost certain it will be after my exams.

Keep track of things with to the minute updates from my website, Mysterious Projects!

Mysterious Mr. Bear :D :D

Edited by Mysterious Mr. Bear

This looks great. Though I do have a suggestion; you should look up the term "the Earth Bones" on the Imperial Library. Basically, they're the laws of nature, and because I've always liked the term, I think it would be cool to name this branch of magic after the Earth Bones. Or, at least, in your working title "Elemental Powers". Something I thought of was "Earth Bones Supplementation," basically meaning that you are extending or strengthening your own limits and abilities with those of the Earth Bones. Or something like that.

• 1 month later...

Quick update with some videos!

video: Elemental Magic- - Teleport and the Delamerian Isles!

another power on display - Teleport! This power will give you 5 differnt abilitys with one spell. Amaze your freinds with Short range teleporting! Impress the girls with Assasins Rush! Show off with Telekentic swap! Be the man your man could smell like with Long Range Teleporting!

This set of skills proves verisitle in and out of combat. From tricking enemies into being hit by their own spells or falling down cliffs, to breaking into homes, to making quick escapes from dungeons; you're bound to make use of this as mage, warrior or theif (or tourist). Also can be used for magical bunjee jumping off dive rock.

In all in all about 2-3 days work on that one. Could have been done in a day if I wasn't so easily distracted. By, for example... a new worldspace and quest that ties in with the new powers! But dont worry, it wont drag out the release date- Im still set to release the spell pack seperatly way before you all pack your bags and head off for skyrim. Then I'll be working on the quest full time, again to be released before skyrim... and then relax and party with dragons!

The quest won't be anything epic, but a good hour or so with small, repeatable side quests and the possiblity to make one of two homes in Delemere. Not to mention some more retextures, remodels, and some tasty modders resources before they are made obselete!

"When you signed up to serve as an agent for the Order of the Bear, you expected a holiday and training in their obscure but powerful practice of "Elemental magic". Instead you find yourself shipwrecked, with you're one companion missing, on a small island at war with itself. The Delamerian Guardians insist true power can only be found from living amongst nature; the settlers belive their power is only good if they use it and have begun to tame the island. Whichever side you choose, there is a darker force growing, hidden in the shadows and lurking in the corner of your eye... and when it decides to make itself known, there will be nowhere to run."

Also I forgot to post this up from a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpRMwkM3pp0&feature=related

Weather Manipulation spell in use!!

Since this video the spell has been upated to get rid off the pretty sucky "boost" effects. Instead you have more unique powers, that are alternative versions of the left mouse button effect.

Storm/rain: directional lightning that will blast your victims away from you, but not always hit like the lmb attack.

Snow: paralyse and do cold damage to your opponent but for far less time than the slowing effect.

Sun: Light your opponant on fire with heat from the sun, and leave their skin senstitive to normal weapons.

Things I'm planning/ need to do:

Iron out Windbending - a few animation problems

Iron out and finish weather manipulation: add 3 new powers: Snow storm, Electrical storm, and Fire storm (similar to skyrim) + check for animation problems

Iron out Teleport spell- some sound effects missing, no fatigue drain on some effects.

Fix Elemental Powers- drain is too fast (know what Im going to do though, it involves activators, timers, scripting, feathers and some double sided tape)

Balance all spells

Add new power

repeat all previous steps for new power

repeat pervious two steps about 24 times :P

hopefully the spell pack will be out soon... maybe 2 month deadline? who knows...

Mysterious Mr. Bear :D :D

Nice Mod, Im looking forward to it. The Slam Power really caught my eye, and the same with the teleport.

You said in one of your videos that you were thinking about making some spells for stealth characters.

Well, heres a few ideas:

Dim Lights: It would have a stronger effect the longer you channel the spell, and what it could do would make the room you're in pitch black but give you some sort of detect life or nighteye spell. It would, however, alert the enemy of your presence. You could then make a swift escape (if you were being chased), or a swift assassination.

Smoke Cloud: Does exactly like it sounds like, summons a smoke cloud in front of you. It would stun the enemy and provide brief cover in which enemies can't see you, allowing quick backstabs or a flurry of attacks from all directions. (This one might be too much like the stun move you have with Air Bending, but variety IS nice)

Dark Blades: This would basically summon a blade (It would be cool if it was a fist weapon, or if the summoned weapon was dual wieldable) that has bonuses when used in unison with another one of theses Stealth powers. Example: If I dimmed the lights, and attacked with the Dark Blades I would get a significant damage bonus (Maybe just 1.25 or 1.5 so it's not unbalanced). And if I sneak attacked while the lights were dimmed, I'd get the normal sneak attack bonus plus the Dark Blades Bonus.

Just a few, I might come back with some more ideas later.

Keep it up, looking forward to it!

They are some pretty cool ideas, especially smoke cloud! gonna think how I can impliment it... I'm starting work on the stealth powers soon. I allready have alot of my effects planned and you can find them all on my website, but I think I'll fit the smokecloud idea in, if I can :) The Dim Lights power is allready kind of planned, but slightly differntly...I think dark blades is a bit too "unnatural" for the nature of the mod, but If I remember correctly there is something similar in Midas Magic :)