DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tavern Tales: Skyrim, Volume One (Legend)

DarkRider

The sun rose behind a thick blanket of clouds and fog, shedding barely any light on an increasingly graying world as the group rode higher into the mountains. With it came a sudden snow storm and all leaned close to their mounts for some respite from the biting winds. Visibility was all but lost to them, still they climbed.

Raurke crouched over the ground at his feet and brought his palms to his mouth, breathing into them deeply, he open his palms wide toward the ground.

“See,” he incanted in a deep thrumming whisper. Before him a wisp of blue light snaked over the ground and further up into a narrow pass he wouldn’t have seen had the spell wisp not disappeared as it slithered into the gap. He reached to his waist for the guide rope tied to his belt and gave it a good tug until the line went taut, then released it and moved on toward the pass.

At the other end of the line, Carter felt a tug on the rope wrapped around his forearm, “We’re moving,” he pulled the mask down from over his mouth and called back to the others, “this way.”

Ghost grunted when the line between his saddle and Flint’s was tugged and he skipped a few steps anxiously to catch up, tugging the line on Tallow who whinnied a noisy protest before tugging the line to Night. The men did their best to steady their loosely connected train of horseflesh and follow Raurke’s lead. It was their best chance to keep the path and not lose one another amidst the swirls of snow whiting out their senses.

Suddenly the mountain around them echoed with a thunderous roar, and although it seemed far away its echo carried, displacing the source. Horses and riders all looked for the source, eyes scanning the white sky for any flicker of movement or flame on the wind. Two years past, in the time of the Dovahkiin, dragons had returned to Skyrim. Since then, most common folk wanted to believe the dragons were gone, but there were still whispers of leathery winged beasts in some remote places, and this place certainly fit that bill.

Duncan kneed Ghost forward slowly to get alongside Carter, which was no easy task with the way the gelding skittered under his seat; his normally steadfast mount was nervous and that always meant something. Despite the other man wearing a mask, he could see Carter’s face was scrunched in contemplation as he scanned the sky.

“We’re all thinking the same thing then?” Duncan asked over the howling winds, “that wasn’t a thunderhead.”

Before Carter could answer they heard another much shorter screech and then Carter was suddenly wrenched out of his saddle by the guideline wrapped around his arm. With a choked yell he was spun like a ragdoll as the guideline unwound from his bracer, dripping him to the ground before pulling taut on Flint’s saddle. The dark warhorse screamed as he too was lifted off the ground, but the guidelines began to tighten. There were only micro seconds to make a decision, cut the line, or be pulled into the fray. Duncan made the call.

“Brace him!” he shouted back to William and Felix, “Pull them back!”

He crouched into his seat and pulled Ghost’s head up taut, signaling for his mount to lock in and back up. Ghost obeyed, and the lines between the remaining horses all tightened and they pulled. The tug of war only lasted a brief moment before they saw Flint drop back onto a snow drift and scramble to his feet, stamping angrily but seeming none the worse for wear.

“Carter?” Duncan called to where the assassin was still crouched on the snow examining his forearm, “Alright then?”

Carter stood and turned to face him, “Yeah. Aside from my pride which is lying over there in the dirt dying quietly, I’m fine. The bracer took most of the pressure, it’s sore but I’ll survive,” the Redguard said shaking his head and whistling for Flint as he stood. His mount returned to his side, and Carter took a few moments to check him for injury and pat him down reassuringly before leading him back to Duncan.

“For a minute there, I was sure we were all going,” Felix said as he and William rode up to meet them, “did you ever see anything like that?” he asked.

“I don’t think anyone has,” William answered, cutting the line from Night’s saddle, “probably best if we want to avoid another close call.”

Carter nodded, “Agreed,” he said, rubbing the ache in his arm once more before mounting up on Flint and pulling at the guideline that had once lead to Raurke. The end came up short and frayed where it had given way under the strain of the horses’ battle. They knew two things for certain; whatever it was took five stocky warhorses just to resist being dragged into the sky long enough for the line to tear, and it appeared to have taken Raurke.

Felix eyed the rope, “Do we go after him?”

Carter shook his head, “After him where?” he cut the rope from Flint’s saddle, “we don’t know if that thing took him, or we’ll find him just head where he cut himself loose, or what. Even if it, whatever it is, took him, we didn’t even see in what direction.”

“We do need to get moving before we all freeze to death,” Duncan added patting Ghost’s neck, “the horses are getting cold. I say we follow the trail as best that we can and hope we find Raurke along the way.”

All nodded their agreement and mounted up; following Carter in a close group as he lead them in the last direction Raurke had given him before he disappeared.

The world turned upside down as a great beast grabbed Raurke, carrying him off like a fresh, succulent salmon in it's leathery, scaled talons; the sharp points of it's claws piercing into his chest cavity. Raurke looked up at the beast, trying to get a sense of it's size, but all he could see was a rotund, bluish-white belly. The ride wasn't very long, and the creature dropped him to the ground near the peak; Raurke landed awkwardly, and took a few moments to right himself; he hoped he wasn't taking too long, no telling when the creature would wheel around and finish him off.

The immediate vicinity didn't give much hope; all around him were skeletal remains of everything from humans to the strange, woolly beasts he'd seen in the Tundra. The creature screeched again, not too distantly as it wheeled around for more. Raurke drew his blade and readied himself, wondering what made him more appetizing than one of the larger horses. Perhaps the Nine decided it would be the party's best chance if Raurke were taken; he'd lived for two centuries and only been killed once, and even that had been part of his strategy at the time.

The creature roared, swooping down low over Raurke's head, warranting a furious slash at it's talons from the breton, and overshot, wheeling around for a second run. Raurke readied himself, and jumped, planting his sword in the beast's side, just below the wing. "If you're going to give someone a ride..." Raurke grunted, pulling himself onto the beast's back. "Do it like a proper mount!" Yelling the later, Raurke started hacking at it's wings.

Felix grabbed Carter's shoulder. "Hear that? it's back!" the mage exclaimed, unsure if he even wanted to see it again. Before Carter could utter a reply, the dragon slammed into the ground, one wing severely damaged, and a black-clad figure struggling to keep his position; and losing, being tossed at the others from the impact. "I brought dinner!" he jested, righting himself. "Though it seems to be a tad uncooperative. mind lending a hand?"

William had a sudden flashback, to a few years earlier when he was hunting rabbit near a Whiterun guard post. A dragon had fallen from the sky and was attacking a group of guards and another, whom the guards later called the ‘Dragon born’.

Will had run to lend his weapons aide and had sent several arrows into the foul beast, helping take it down. That was the day he had scavenged enough dragon scales to have his current set of armor made, as a trophy of that battle.

Back in the present, Will had pulled his bow out and using his archer’s eye, zoomed in and slowed time for that perfect shot.

Meanwhile, the Dragon swung its head around and slammed into Raurke, sending him flying into a snow bank. Duncan had both his swords out and in a frenzy, slashed at the Dragons hind quarters while Carter dove under its belly avoiding a body slam from the giant tail.

Felix sent a dual powered bolt of lightning into the back of the creature, where the wings connect to the body, its tendrils of blue bolts arcing up the wings and neck.

Timing was everything with the bow, and William took his time to ensure he would hit his target. The Dragon swung its head around and faced Will, and opened its mouth. In but a moment the dragon would breath its magic on him. His aim true, his target motionless in its attack, Will loosed the arrow and dove to the left to avoid the coming blast.

The guttural ‘Fo Krah Diin’ was followed by a blast of icy wind which formed icy spikes on the ground in its wake and only froze Will’s arm, having avoided most of the breath. The arrow struck true, right into the left eye of the beast, past its scaled, armored hide.

Carter rolled out from under the dragon and slashed at the other flank, trying to find a weakness in the dragons scales.

Felix, seeing the dragons nature revealed in its frost breath, came out from behind the tree he had dove for cover behind. He started incanting a dual incinerate spell until its power was at its peak and sent it blasting into the reeling dragon. The flames engulfed its breast and head with swirling flames as blackened smoked billowed into the air.

Having lost the use of his arm for using the bow for the moment, Will incanted a fireball with his right arm as the dragons jaws opened and bit down towards Duncan.

Having lost an eye the dragon did not estimate the distance to Duncan correctly and bit its own wing, ripping a huge chunk out of it before it realized its mistake. Screeching, it turned its whole body sending Carter jumping back from the beast once more or be crushed underneath it.

Raurke, battered from the blow, rose out of his snow bank and rushed to join battle.

The dragon snapped, growled and hissed at them, trying to take off but unable to lift its great mass with such a damaged wing. As they circled the beast, a small flutter of glowing green smoke began to erupt from its mouth moving back over its head, and similar green trails began to seep out from under its scales, enveloping the whole beast until it vanished in a puff of smoke.

William lowered his bow without wasting another arrow, “Conjuration.”

“That thing was a Familiar?” Felix frowned, “the caster would have to be…very skilled.”

“Well,” Raurke groaned as he covered his gaping wound with a hand, “that explains why it passed on the horses for its supper. Wonder what it was after.”

Carter collected Flint and climbed onto his broad back, “Where were you when the dragon showed up?”

“This way,” Raurke leading them back toward the marked pass where he’d been snatched into the sky.

The men gathered their mounts and followed him closely. Though the flurry of snows had died down, visibility was still not on their side. As they reached the mouth of the pass Raurke was thankful to find his clairvoyance spell still illuminating dimly to guide the way. The men had to dismount to follow, guiding their horses through the narrow pass. Almost immediately William called for them to hold.

“There,” the thief said pointing to a stone formation near the mouth of the pass. The top sheltered a glowing green orb and he sent a fireball toward it to dispel the magic, “that trap must have been left to guard this passage, no doubt that’s where the familiar came from,” he said. Content that the trap was disarmed Carter moved on, with William and Felix behind.

“Couldn’t see that before,” Raurke said to himself, “too much snow,” his voice trailed off and it was Duncan’s hand clamping on his shoulder that drew him back into the moment where his mind would rather adrift.

“You’re not like us,” Duncan said quietly, “are you alright? Would a potion help?”

Raurke shook his head, “No, I need to…feed to regain strength.”

Duncan paused drawing closer to him, “Blood?” Raurke shook his head, “What then?”

“Souls,” the revenant answered.

The Imperial stuffed a hand into his satchel and withdrew a soft leather wrapping; he pulled the leather back revealing a crystal soul gem to Raurke, “Will this do for now?”

Raurke considered it, “How strong a soul?”

“It’s from a giant,” Duncan answered, passing it to Raurke when the other man held out a hand for it.

“That’ll do some good,” Raurke confirmed as he took the gem, “but I’d like to be alone for this.”

Duncan nodded once, taking up Ghost’s reins, “Don’t hang back too long,” he suggested before heading after the others.

---------------------

After awhile the passage opened enough for the men to ride and they resumed their trek. Carter’s eyes scanned over the ground under Flint’s hooves watching for tracks. From his pack, Felix withdrew a small lute like instrument and began strumming out a few notes and before long was composing a song of their adventure.

Music.png“On mountainside, in bitter cold

As in the ancient tales afore

They rode a path from days of old

In search of unknown distant shore

The jagged teeth of mountain’s maw

Stretched to the heavens all around

When from the nothing came a call

The thu’um of dov that shook the ground

Then from the sky, did darkness fall

On leather wing did death unfold

A beast of might to slay them all

And to the Fates had they been sold.

But lo did William send his bow

An arrow’s pierce to blind the beast

They turned asunder scale and bone

Upon its own flesh would it feast.

Huzzah my lads, to win the day

And circled they around their foe

But through the smoke did it away

A conjured beast they could not slay.

Then William saidMusic.png…hey what’s that?”

“I don’t think that’s what I said,” William commented as he rode along behind Felix, his own eyes watching for more traps along the rock walls overhead.

“No,” Felix shook his head, “I mean what is that?” he pointed ahead of Carter where the passage ended in the opening of a grand cave. On either side of the cave were statues of men none could recognize.

“What do you think?” Carter asked Duncan as they brought their horses to a stop.

The Imperial leaned back in his saddle with a sigh, “We have tracks?”

Carter nodded, “Yeah, still our friend with the broken shoe, they rode inside.”

“Then I say we go on,” Duncan answered with a shrug, “any objections?”

William shook his head, “Not from me, these sorts of places are usually what I look for,” he grinned.

Felix agreed, “Aye, we’ve come this far.”

“I’ll scout ahead then,” Raurke said as he reappeared and walked on into the cave.

Three Bandits had stood guard just inside the cave entrance. This and the tracks along the main tunnel implied a very large host indeed, and the group had agreed with Will that they would be better off avoiding the main tunnel. The cave network was maze-like, but did not seem to have been formed naturally. Sure enough, rough tunnel soon gave way to carved stone.

“Merethic Nords†said Felix, nodding to the carved patterns and dragon motifs.

Flickering light could be seen coming through an opening, and they faintly heard voices. Silently creeping, the group approached the doorway, to hear a female voice, amused and proud:

“...But I have a better deal, I think: This lovely Orcish dagger, to decorate your ribcage, and the luxurious accommodation of our finest ditch by the road. It'll only cost you all your gold and valuables, and all your wares.â€

This was met by laughter, and a few unintelligible jeers. Carter tried to discern how many: At least a dozen, and there may well be more who were silent.

“Tempting, but I say you're selling yourself short. Tell me, Dunmer, do you miss the tastes and smells of your homeland? If you killed me, why, tonight you could dine on this fresh and delicious kwama egg!â€

An exchanged glance. Manan? Here? And negotiating for his life. How did the fool manage to be captured?

“A hostage will make this complicated.†Raurke murmured.

Manan continued: “But it would be the last dish you eat from Morrowind in a long, long time, I think. Take my offer, and you could all feast like Ysgramor each night! And why shouldn't you? How much have you sacrificed already for your freedom?â€

No interjections came. He seemed to have their attention for now, but if Carter knew Manan, before long they'd all be queuing up to stab him.

“Why limit yourself to the scraps you scavenge, when you have the money for every luxury and comfort you could desire? What good is your hoarded gold if you are robed in hides, and armed only with those rusty antiques? You'll need better than that if you want to survive the coming invasion.â€

“We go in silently. Eliminate them unnoticed.†William made to enter the den, but Felix stopped him. With a gesture, he clothed William's boots in a glamour of silence. Once they were all similarly enchanted, they slowly crept single file through the opening, and moved unnoticed as they surrounded the tableau below.

“Quite correct. It's true the Jarls think you too small a threat while Stormcloaks threaten their thrones. I speak of the Forsworn. They are amassing in their north-most camps, preparing to cut Markarth off from Solitude, if imperial intelligence is to be believed. When that time comes, free men such as yourselves will have to fight, or die.

But all hope is not lost, for I have just the thing- just the thing you need! I can arm each of you with fine dwarven steel, and at a price that would make the smiths of Markarth weep! Swords and axes who's blades never dull, and a suit of amour for you, good chief.â€

William had an excellent vantage of the whole scene. The opening they had entered through was a side entrance to a grand room: An enourmous circular amphitheatre of carved stone. Steps led down, in ever decreasing rings to a stage, where furniture and crates were haphazardly arranged. Rouges clad in leather and iron armour lounged on the steps, observing the stage with varying degrees of interest. Torches were set in brackets on stone pedestals around the centre, but the perimeter was thankfully devoid of light sources, and had plenty of pillars to conceal them from view.

The chief was gaunt, dark-haired Dunmer woman, clad in a strange kind of leather armour, supplemented with plates made of what appeared to be pieces of the shell of some enormous insect or crab. Her arms were folded and her head was cocked, watching Manan through half closed eyes.

The main entrance to the room was a pair of heavy wooden double doors. These burst open, and the Nord from the road, the illusionist, strode down the steps toward the stage. The chief saw him, and smiled. He was about to speak when the she cut him off.

“Jannick! We have another guest! This little merchant came up through the tunnels. Unarmed, would you believe, and expecting to trade with us! What do you think? A potential security liability if we trust him, but some good food and new equipment could be good for morale. We'll have to work out some arrangement that keeps-â€

“We are leaving.†The Nord curtly interrupted. The Dunmer's eyes narrowed. “Fiirael will be taking the laboratory, we'll need to open the back-â€

“No... No I don't think so.†The chief nodded to some rouges, who immediately stood, and approached. “Why so eager to go? I still have use of you. And I don't appreciate the tone.†She stepped closer, speaking softly now, but without losing her menacing edge. “You'll remain my guests. I'll have some words with Fiirael, and you can go to my chambers, and wait for me.â€

Jannick visibly flinched. “We've been breached. Three men by the entrance are dead.â€

The reaction was immediate. The bandits rushed to arm themselves, others turning to their chief for orders. “Find them and bring them to me!†She shouted. The doors banged open again. This time an Altmer in robes and a fur cloak entered, carrying a large leather case. “And what is the meaning of this, Fiirael?â€

“I told you she wouldn't like it†said Jannick, as bandits rushed out towards the cave entrance.

“Well, we're leaving, one way or another.†Fiirael's voice was reedy, and impatient. “I suggest you aid your men: you'll fare better against these intruders than me.†He stepped past her, and nearly bumped into Manan. “What- where did you come from?â€

“The tunnels, apparently.†Jannick said, inching out of the chief's reach.

“Perfect. You can lead us out of here.â€

Manan was reluctant, and seemed quite put out at the interruption. “I have business with sai Teril still, if you'll excuse me...â€

Teril, the chief, was shaking with fury. “Fine. Dwarf steel. Just get them out of my sight!â€

Will had caught Carter's eye. He gestured: “Attack?â€

Carter held up an open hand: “Wait.†Bandits were still heading out of the double doors. Some remained, gawking at their visibly shaken chief. Manan, Jannick and Fiirael had exited through the opposite side entrance.

They could no longer afford to get caught in a protracted battle with these bandits. If that happened they may never catch their quarry.

At last, only a few bandits remained. Teril was standing still, fists and jaw clenched, staring at the ground. No more time to wait. Carter gestured: “Silent. Attack.†As one, the group drew steel, and swept down the steps towards the remaining bandits, save for Will and Felix, who prepared to attack from afar.

Teril saw them first, but did not draw her weapon. “Are you after them?â€

Will didn't expect this, and eased the tension on his bowstring. Duncan faltered. Raurke bowled right into a bandit, knocking her to the ground. The momentum of the charge halted, and the two groups faced each other uncertainly. Duncan saw that Teril's cheeks were wet.

“So you are. Then two hundred gold for that blonde bastard's HEAD!"

The awkard pause continued.

"Well don't just stand there! After them!â€

Duncan nodded, and jogged towards the far exit. The rest followed suit. As they approached the opening, Teril began yelling at her underlings.

“That's... Never happened to me before†said Will. “Usually, they don't talk to you.â€

Raurke picked himself up, then looked at the bandit he'd bowled over. "Sorry, I'm married, miss." he said with a wink, taking off after the Altmer. "Archer, Assassin, stick close." Raurke called, William and Carter quick on the uptake. "Duncan, Wizard, I believe the old man would pay handsomely for a timely rescue while we grab the milk drinkers." With that, the stealthy trio was off into the warrens of tunnels leading deeper into the ruins.

"Since when are we following your orders?" Carter called out, struggling to keep pace, William hot on his heels.

"I've been at this since before your fathers were kids." Raurke teased. "And it wasn't an order. You were thinking along the same lines, both of you." The Breton continued.

Raurke drew a pair of vials from his satchel. "Here, aim for their legs; it's a paralysis poison, though it might not be too fresh." he called out, tossing the vials back.

Carter took the hint and smashed the fragile glass onto a throwing knife, liquid quickly coating it, then sent it forth. One of the men they were chasing; the Nord, caught the knife with his calf and stumbled, quickly falling to the floor with a dull crack. Raurke winced, certain the man had broken his nose upon the cold flagstones.

William coated an arrow with the poison a tad more gracefully, then stopped and nocked the arrow on his bow. Time seemed to stand still as he took his aim, and loosed the arrow. The second target, the Altmer, took a sudden turn, heading down a side-path almost the same moment William's arrow reached him, nicking his calf and illiciting a yelp.

“Pay you handsomely? Well, isn't that just rich!†Manan was bent over, still wheezing as he caught his breath. “Your timely interruption came just in time to stop me getting a single drake out of those ruffians! And then the major deal was made on her terms, without agreeing on a price! And gods forbid I go in there and attempt to negotiate it, now that you've chased off and paralysed her paramour du jour!†He kicked the paralysed form of Jannick to emphasise his displeasure. A small groan escaped his frozen lips.

Duncan was incredulous. “And you're not even slightly grateful that we've rescued you from captivity and saved your life?â€

Felix spoke: “No, I think I see it. You weren't robbed at Dragon's Bridge. Was that shipment even yours to begin with?â€

Manan stopped wheezing and narrowed his eyes at Felix. “Well of course they robbed me. They made a preposterous initial offer, and refused to back down on it, holding me at swordpoint the whole while. I only got out alive by throwing my mule into the bargain and promising more armour. Can't deal with that sort twice.â€

“So you're profiting from arming murderers.â€

“...It was a loss that time.â€

“So Felix,†Duncan said, interrupting their glares, “remember how much the imperial bounty on this guy was? Because it's less than the two hundred that bandit chief offered.â€

A small “Noooo†came from Jannick's throat.

“No, don't do that.†Manan said, his voice softer, having calmed down. “I think that Teril actually will decapitate him. Perhaps I was a little ungrateful. After all you didn't know I wasn't in danger, and you did force her hand into my offer. So long as our friends pull through on their job, everything should work out.â€

“And are you going to send people to kill these bandits and get your shipment back, again?â€

“That's less profitable in the long run. Better to treat them square, so long as they do too. Get the word out that you can be trusted, but not to cross you. Common sense, really.â€

Duncan squatted down and began binding Jannick's arms. “Yes, I think I'd prefer to hear you to talk once the poison wears off.†He said.

“What's taking them so long?†Asked Felix. “If that Altmer was the one who conjured a dragon, they may need assistance.â€

Duncan stood. “Let's assist them then. Manan, watch over the nord.â€

“What? No! I'm not getting involved in imperial henchman-work.â€

“Too late. You're implicated with us now!†Felix said over his shoulder, as he ran behind Duncan, into the caves.

In the forests outside Dragon Bridge

The section of the wall sunk into the rest of the infrastructure and slid open, revealing a large cavernous corridor. Judging by the lack of spider webs and footprints in the dirt, the entrance was used quite often. “Wow....mind if I steal Grond every now and then, Red?” Nina said and laughed, “I think I have some use for the big boy.”

“You can get your own Nord, Nina,” Red said with a chuckle as she lit a torch, “Ol' Dragon-Breath here's my Nord. Lead the way, hon,” she said and handed Grond the torch.

Grond grinned. "Nice to be needed, time like this." Gazing at Nina, the Nord reached out and took hold of Haunt's hand. "New meat, you can lead us. I'll bring up the rear." Grond stepped back and gestured to the opening. Haunt paused. Taking the torch, the Breton smirked slightly. "Very well," said Haunt, close to Grond's face. The simple comment felt odd to the Nord - as if Haunt had attempted to peer into hidden closets of the Nord's mind. Grond ignored the sensation, and muttered, "Hey, you're tall for a Breton!"

Inside, the wide hallway shined in the sputtering light of the torch. Rough stone walls were supported by heavy wood beams, and here and there were clefts in the sides, as from stones which had been removed. There was a dim light throughout - lanterns hung from the support beams. Haunt walked in the lead. Having doused the torch he held a glowing golden ball in one hand. Nina followed close behind Haunt, no weapon drawn. Red held her bow at the ready, her head turned toward Haunt. Grond strode behind, the Orcish dagger flipping slowly in his hands, walking as quietly as he could manage, which was not very. The Nord did not mind, but he stifled the urge to whistle a tune, watching the three before him striding nearly silently.

Wind fairly whistled along the hall, which sloped slightly downward and wound gradually to their left. They could hear faintly the sound of rushing water, as if a mighty river roared far away. They soon came to a place where a narrower hall intersected the one they trod along.

They paused for a moment. Grond opened his mouth to speak.

They all froze when, from behind, the sound came echoing their way of stone grating against stone. "The door," hissed Nina. "Get in there." Haunt and Red took the meager cover of the shadows within one of the intersecting halls. Nina glanced around the area, and soon smiled grimly, for there was an elaborate system of beams crossing each other to support the intersection. Grond remained in the center of the intersection, peering back the way they had come, dagger replaced by warhammer. Nina sharply hissed at him, waving towards the smaller halls when he looked. He shrugged and ducked into the hall opposite the one into which Haunt and Red had stepped.

But Nina leapt at the wall, and caught a beam. Gracefully to Grond, she seemed to walk up it, using hands and feet, and at the ceiling the Nord caught an upper crossbeam. She swung herself up, and was soon squatting atop the beams. She saluted Grond with two fingers and drew her bow. They waited.

Soon two figures became clear in the lantern light. They had heads shaped like those of reindeer, and wore loose fur armor. Grond bit his tongue to remain in his hiding place, for he knew them. He called them Witchmen.

But he blinked through his anger. In the three blinks he took, he heard Nina's bow twang twice. Then the two Forsworn lay dead, before they had reached the intersection.

Navigating the slick rock of the narrow tunnel at running pace with no light was challenging and as the pair reached a wider expanse where more water had drained across the floors, Duncan’s boot met free gravel and his feet went out from under him. He managed to turn enough to scuff up his side but staved off a face plant on the rocky ground. Felix stopped as he caught up, nearly falling himself, before a blue light illuminated them. Duncan held up a scrapped and bloodied palm to shield his eyes as Felix waved his candlelight orb higher so as not to blind him.

“You alright?” he asked breathlessly.

Duncan nodded, “Yes, go…go on help the others, I’ll catch up.”

Felix nodded and resumed his run at a slightly more cautious pace, his glowing light trailing behind him leaving Duncan alone in the darkness. The Imperial cursed as he dragged himself to lean against the wall, drawing his knees up stiffly. Water was trickling down the wall on either side of him granting him an almost peaceful respite. Still, he kept watch, even as he fished in his satchel for a healing potion. The potion was excellent as an internal curative for illness and pain, but in the Legion he’d learned it also served as a powerful antiseptic, though a painful one. He clenched his teeth and tried to think elsewhere as he poured the potion over his raw open wounds. It burned like the fires of Oblivion, seemingly endless. He downed the rest of the bottle for the pain and sat panting from the effort as the fire subsided and his wounds began to mend.

“Well now,” he said quietly to himself, “this has certainly been an interesting quest, Lad. Nothing will get you killed quicker than new friends…and apparently wet stones,” he mused with a sigh as he tossed the potion bottle away; reflecting now on whether or not Manan could actually be considered their friend. He had lied to them from the start, yet he had saved Ferrin during the troll attack. His mind wandered to Grond and Red, they had left the Mill Tavern with that shifty old codger, and here he was, high in the mountains alone; what had become of his friends? If the old man had brought them to harm he would hang for it…twice, he resolved.

Duncan’s thoughts were interrupted by a faint sound echoing down the hall. It sounded like a paced clinking of metal or glass. Curiosity and caution pulled him to his feet and he followed the hall the way Felix had gone. Just as he rounded the corner, a breeze pulled at him and he realized there was another wide and yet almost hidden passage that branched off and it was down this corridor that the strange sound was traveling to him. He took a few slow steps then, realizing the silence charm was still in effect on him, quickened his pace down the dark corridor. Before he had even neared the end, more sound reached him; quiet voices and the gentle knicker of a horse.

----------------------------

Felix saw light and headed for the opening, passing two of the thugs writhing in pain on the ground as he did. It was clear his companions had come this way. He burst out into the snow and the sounds of battle caught him, causing him to immediately draw on his magicka prepared to fight.

“Save your strength Mage,” Carter said as he slit open the neck of a marauder in fur armor, dropping the man dead to the ground, “they’re spent.”

Felix lowered his hands as he watched William drop a man who was trying to flee with a swift arrow to his skull, and Raurke dropped like a vulture onto the man nearest him. They were all finished and walking toward him, “I don’t understand,” Felix said, “There was no conjurer here? Who set that trap? This mystery just gets stranger and stranger.”

“That’s because Malan is a daedra,” Duncan said appearing from the cave behind them, “well he acts like one anyway. These marauders are not the men we’re looking for, they just happened to be sheltering here, the storm must have drove them in.”

“How can you be sure?” William asked.

“No horses,” Duncan replied, “we’ve been tracking a horse with a broken shoe, our marks, rode into this cave, and these rabble are all on foot.”

Raurke crossed his arms over his powerful chest, “Just how did that old man get here?”

“I’d like to know that myself,” Carter added coolly.

“I’ve been thinking about that, and I think the answer is smuggler roads,” William chimed in, “during the Empire’s last ban on moon sugar, the smugglers tunneled their way between a number of towns using old Dwermer mines, they call them roads and I know there is one near Dragon Bridge. It’s a good bet some of those mines connect to this ruin, he must have followed one looking for a seedy lot to peddle his promises to,” he theorized.

“As good an explanation as any,” Carter growled, “but now we’ve lost time with this distraction, damn that old man. Our riders must have been through this ruin hours ago, I’d wager, maybe even a day ahead by now.”

Duncan grinned, “You’d lose that bet, mate,” he said clapping Carter on the shoulder, “they’re still here, come on, I’ll show you.”

“What about Manan?” Felix asked as he followed them back into the ruin.

“He made his bed,” Raurke answered with an annoyed shrug, “let him lie in it awhile.”

“Shame....I kinda like reindeer,†Nina piped up with a small chuckle and gracefully hopped back down onto the ground to meet with the others. But as she strolled up to Grond, she noticed his foul mood and followed his gaze onto the two corpses. “Forsworn....†she muttered, her cheerful disposition replaced with a grim expression as she knelt down at one of the bodies. “Oh, don't tell me that old badger sent us this far south...â€

“The Forsworn?†Red asked, frowning, “If Manan was attacked by the Forsworn, I don't think he would've survived such an encounter. Nord or not.â€

“You haven't heard him,†Grond grunted, “I reckon I could throw him into a pack of giants and he'll just lecture them to death. Bandits aren't any smarter.â€

“But that still leaves the question,†Nina said and glanced at the rest of the group, “how in Mephala's name did we get this far south without knowing? The Forsworn usually mark their boundaries. Skulls, signs....heck, there wasn't even a skeleton hanging off a tree when we came through. Just a bunch of bandits and one of them was an Argonian.†Nina shook her head and stood up, staring at Grond and Red, “This just doesn't sit well with me.â€

“Maybe they're expander their territory,†Grond muttered, still staring at the two Bretons with deep hate, something that was all too familiar to Nina, “Everybody knows how much they want to take over our homeland, bloody mongrels...â€

But she shook her head at Grond and explained, “I doubt that. They're having a heck of a time trying to take over towns that are already in their territory. There would be no strategic advantage from trying to expand northward.â€

“But what if they are?†Grond interjected and stared at her, his hand clenched around the handle of his warhammer.

“Grond....†Nina said quietly, “I know you're looking for an excuse to smash every single of the Breton's skulls into dust. I can see it in your eyes. But trust me when I say they're not advancing north. Doing so would open themselves for an attack from Ulfric. As much as I would like them to be dumber than common rats, they're not.â€

Grond, rapidly running out of excuses to rush after his most hated enemy in a fiery rage, grumbled and tried to content himself to kicking one of the corpses roughly. Red couldn't help but chuckle a little at the Nord's temper and walked up to her friend to comfort him, “Come on Grond....where there's two, there's probably twenty more of those guys running around this place. The first ten's yours to smash to your heart's content, okay?â€

Grond glanced at her before shrugging sarcastically, “Bah...alright, I suppose I can live with that. But you two keep yer arrows to yourselves,†he said with a grin, “I'd rather have my Witchmen kicking and screaming. It's more fun that way.â€

“No guarantee, Grond,†Nina smirked a little, “If they end up dog-piling you, I'm just gonna ignore what you say. And I'll be sitting on a nice, fragile beam so you can't reach me.â€

“Oh?†Grond said and laughed, “There's more than one way to coax a monkey off of its perch.â€

“Good luck,†Nina said and winked teasingly, “I'm very hard to persuade, mate.â€

There was a cough behind her and Nina turned around to see Haunt looking at them, a slight hint of impatience etched across his face, “Are we going to rid this patch of land of the bandits or are you two going to sit here trading blows?â€

“That depends,†Nina muttered and gestured towards the large hallway leading deeper into the fort, “You supposedly can see the future. What do you think we're going to do, hm?â€

Haunt only stared at her and shook his head before walking down the corridor, Nina following right behind him to mainly keep an eye on him. As the group continued their journey into the belly of the cavern, the walls of the hallway seemed to grow wider each step. When Nina thought Grond could have laid down upon the floor comfortably, the hallway suddenly gave way to a small, rather comfortable pit. Hastily-fastened beams spanned across the dome that formed the ceiling in hopes to prevent the room from collapsing upon itself and decorative columns encircled the center of the room, though they were nearly crumbled to dust save for the bases. Nina thought that before the centuries of decay and dust, the room could've served as a sort of antechamber.

“Wow....pretty fancy for a fort in the middle of nowhere...†she heard Red say quietly and Nina nodded in agreement. As everybody else stared at the architecture of the room, Nina cautiously leaned far enough over the edge of the balcony to scan the floor of the room. Though the Nord spied several fresh campfires scattered around, she didn't see anyone occupying the camps, making her wonder out loud, “Three campfires and not a soul in sight...What the heck? Haunt, you trying to scare away our prey?†she joked with him.

“I see some crates down there,†Red said and pointed to the stack of boxes at the other side of the room, “Think maybe some of Manan's shipments are in there?â€

“It's worth a shot. If not, I suppose our hungry Nord back there wouldn't mind the food,†Nina said with a chuckle and shrugged, “I'll go first. Being a Nord, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to jump all over me. And I don't think I need to mention my 'frailness' again, do I?†Not waiting for an answer, Nina decided to skip the staircase and hopped over the railing, landing on the ground with a surprised yelp.

“Oi! Plan on having me carry you all the way back, are we?†Grond said with a laugh.

“Hush, you,†Nina muttered and staggered a little to her feet, “....was a little farther than I thought, that's all...†she said and dusted herself off a bit before looking around the room. “Alright....where in Oblivion are you guys...?†she said to herself and carefully walked across the room, trying to keep an eye on a few of the doors that could pose as perfect hiding places for the Breton.

But no one attacked her as she made it to the other side and turned back towards the group, “Alright, come on....maybe an extra Nord will entice them. And I don't want to search through all this by myself, ya know.â€

Duncan led the group back into the ruin and pointed to a side corridor that was almost hidden from view. A cool breeze blew up from it and carried the sound of a horse’s knicker.

Carter slapped Duncan on the back as he rushed past everyone, “Good job!”

Everyone else hurried to keep up with Carter as he led them down the passage where it opened into a large chamber before a set of giant dwarven doors. Light and wind filtered in from a large opening in the ceiling, illuminating the entire chamber.

The riders were nowhere to be seen as Raurke lifted one of the horse’s hooves to reveal the broken shoe of the horse they had been following. With a slight grimace he stated, “We found our quarry.”

William had visited more than one Dwarven ruin in his time and quickly climbed the steps up to the giant doors. One of them was slightly ajar as he gently applied pressure to the door and it swung open wider. “They really build these places well. For example, these doors weight thousands of stone, but move to the slightest touch.” Will looked around and saw nobody was paying him any attention as they scouted the cavern and searched the horses for any clues.

In a few moments they were climbing the stairs. Raurke looked beyond the doorway to the darkness within, “They can’t have gotten too far ahead, I can’t imagine them riding their horses here if they were going to walk the tunnels for miles.”

Raurke, Carter, Duncan and Felix walked past the enormous doors and walked up to where Will was waiting for them as he stood in the darkness letting his eyes become accustomed to the lowered light levels.

They walked down the giant passage which sloped down into the mountain. There were many broken light fixtures along the hall. A few of them were still active which gave enough light to see without the need for torches.

Raurke once again took the lead and found where the dust on the floor had been recently disturbed; showing the path their quarry took. Before long, they came to a side door with a slight passage before it opened into a room.

The room was small, with a pedestal in the center. On the pedestal was a small coin purse which caught the eye of William. Duncan ribbed Will, “You going to go get that?”

Duncan could see the sparkle in Will’s eyes but he frowned and shook his head. No, these places are full of traps for the greedy or unwary. There is probably nothing but sand in the sack anyway…”

They all filed through the room and into the passage beyond with Felix holding back and bringing up the rear. Suddenly the air was filled with the sound of darts being shot through the air and the unmistakable ‘ting’ as they hit stone.

Everyone hit the floor thinking they had set off some trap when they heard Felix say into the sudden silence, “Sorry. I used telekinesis to grab the coin purse from a distance. I guess it set off the dart trap in the room.

The group got up off the floor and glared at Felix as he dumped pebbles into his hand from the purse. Had the light been better, they would have seen Felix turn a bright crimson.

William laughed, “That’s okay Felix, I was really tempted to grab it myself.”

The group moved on in silence, broken only by the occasional whirring of gears or thrum of Dwemer machinery. After what felt like an hour, the group stumbled into an expansive cavern, adorned with a field of levers on one side, and a field of lights on the opposite. once the last of the group crossed the threshold, great Dwemer doors closed tight behind them. There was a collective groan from the party as they realized they'd walked into a trap.

"Well, might as well get a grasp of this trap's puzzle." Carter said flatly.

Raurke nodded, agreeing as he scanned the field of lights. Some on, and others off, the field of lights seemed to have a strange pattern; five rows deep, and 5 columns wide. "I've seen this type of puzzle before." Raurke said, trying to conjure up where, and the solution his party back then had come up with. Still deep in thought, he sketched out the pattern in the dust:

O O O X O

X X X O X

O X X O O

O X X X X

X O X O X

As he finished the sketch, he snapped his fingers. "Ah, now I remember! All the lights must be switched on, however, activating one switches the states of the four around it vertically and horizontally."

"And where have you seen this before?" Felix asked, puzzled.

"In a tomb in the Alik'r desert, I think. Many years ago, hunting a very old, and very powerful lich." Raurke spouted, vaguely. This solicited a confused frown from the young mage. "This might take a while, though." Raurke continued. "But atleast we don't have poison gas spew-" Raurke was cut off as familiar hissing sputtered on around the room.

William and Duncan buried their faces in their palms, exasperated. Raurke pulled his mask and hood up in an effort to hide his embarrassment while Felix and Carter rummaged around in their satchels looking for anti-toxins. "Right-o" Raurke spurted jovially. "Nothing like life-or-death pressure to make a simple puzzle more challenging." Then the Breton set to work, flipping switches and calculating results.

Edited by charlescrowe

Felix hummed a brisk tune as he rummage in his satchel, beginning to wish he had bothered to colour-code his potion bottles like everyone else seemed to. He and Carter between them had just enough anti-toxin for a dose each.

"Don't drink it until you feel a tickle in the back of your throat," he instructed, handing everyone a mouthful.

"How do you work that out?" Carter asked,

Felix answered with a shrug and "well I'm not dead yet,"

The puzzle, like everything Dwemer, was fiendishly tricky, and Raurke's motions became more and more frantic as a faint green haze began to fill the room. The adventurers huddled around the scout, their eyes flicking from one wall to the other as they offered their advice.

"No, no, not that one!" someone shouted

"Top left!" shouted someone else

Raurke finally yelled them to silence.

"Someone try and get the door open, someone try and shut off the gas, and everyone shut up!" He sighed with relief as his companions jumped to action.

William set to work on the door, feeling around for a lock or handle and, finding none, exploring the hinges and the gap between the doors. Felix and Carter, with cloths over their mouths, found their way to the gas emitters, leaving Duncan and Raurke alone at the wall of levers.

Felix began by attempting to weld the gas pipe closed with fire, then freezing the inside of the pipe, then blocking the gas with a ward, none of them worked. There was a resounding clang from Carter's end of the room. The redguard had a few small objects scattered around him, but was holding a sizeable lump of Dwemer scrap over a slightly more sizeable dent in the pipe. He shrugged to Felix as he put his face-cloth away, and the mage followed his lead by delivering a stout kick to the pipe. After a few more, the flow of gas at his end also spluttered to a stop. The mage turned triumphantly, hands on hips, to find the rest of the group already gathered around the exit as the last of lights came on, and the ancient doors swung open. He tutted in mock frustration as he jogged over to join them.

Edited by the-manta

“I don’t like this…†Egard said to himself as he adjusted himself in the coach seat of his cart.

He gazed around at the surrounding forest before glancing back at all the goods that he planned to sell in Solitude.

“Makes my nose twitch…†He said, tightening his grip on the reigns.

He rode on in silence, listening to the sound of birds and the rustling of the leaves. Something didn’t sit right in the pit of his stomach… He felt the need to get out of this forest as quick as possible. As he continued on his way, Egard reached a part of the road that led him between two rocky outcroppings on either side of it. He looked up at a rickety rope bridge that hung between the outcroppings as he made his way slowly through. The forest seemed silent… Something wasn’t right…

“NOW!â€

“Bandits…!†Egard said under his breath as a he whipped the reigns.

Arrows flew passed his head as his horse charged forward. Egard could only hope that his old cart would be able to withstand the speed. He flinched as an arrow pierced the seat next to him and whipped the reigns once again. As he was speeding down the road he saw a bridge up ahead. If he could get across that there was a chance he’d reach a settlement of some kind a little further down the road! He chanced a glance behind him only to be met with the sight of two bandits on their horses, galloping towards him at full speed. He gasped and whipped the reigns once more and soon reached the bridge. As he crossed the bridge at full speed, his cart gave an alarming leap into the air when one of its wheels ran over a stone. He glanced back and watched as one of his finer bear furs tumbled out of the cart but nothing else. He breathed a sigh of relief. He could hopefully replace that later but for now he’d have to outrun these bandits. He rushed on across the bridge and into the settlement of Dragon Bridge, seeking refuge.

The bear pelt sat lonely on the bridge. It was silent for a moment before it gave a light groan and proceeded to unfold itself to reveal a small Khajiit girl within it's depths. She had been sleeping peacefully before the cart suddenly began violently shuttering to and fro and soon she had succumbed to motion sickness. She was about to throw up what little food she had the previous night only to be tossed into the air and landing hard on some sort of stone surface. And there she sat on the bridge with the head of a stone dragon staring down at her, hoping the aching on her backside would stop soon. She stood up and pulled the bear pelt over her shoulders as the cold Skyrim was known for made itself apparent to her.

“Where the heck am I?†Nala murmured to herself as she looked around.

She made her way to edge of the bridge and glanced out into the surrounding area. There was a settlement on the other side of the bridge. Maybe she could find a trader there to sell the bear pelt to. She smiled at the thought of actually having coin in her possession. It had been a while since she last heard that familiar jingle in her pocket. As she pulled the bear pelt further over her she felt a hand clasp her shoulder and she gave off a surprised yelp. She swiftly turned around to find herself staring at an oaf of a man wearing fur armor. He was also holding an axe…

“Ah… hello,†She said taking a step back. “Did you want something?â€

The oaf gave her a crooked smile and shouldered his axe, which earned a flinch from the girl.

“Aye,†He said eying the pelt draped over her. “That I do, lass.â€

Nala glanced at the other side of the bridge that led straight into Dragon Bridge to see bandits making their way over to her. She turned to look at the oafish bandit in front of her only to find more bandits joining him from behind the oaf. She shifted on her feet nervously and gave the oaf a coy smile, realizing she was surrounded.

“Is that so…â€

Nala slowly removed the pelt from over her shoulders and looked up at the bandit who was staring at the pelt. What he wanted was quite obvious to the Khajiit girl and she didn't plan on giving it up so easily. She took a few steps backwards towards the ledge of the bridge and gave the oaf a quick grin before quickly jumping over it and into the water below, clinging to the bear pelt the entire way down. When she hit the water she had anticipated the cold but not the shock to her body. She heard shouts from above as she surfaced from the water and looked up to see the bandits moving about on the bridge. Nala allowed the water to take her downstream and was already shivering violently when she reached the shore. As she dragged the bear pelt onto the shore she collapsed onto her knees, panting heavily. She scanned her surroundings and realized that she was on the opposite side of the river from the settlement. She knew she needed to get out of sight as quickly as possible and that the best way to do that was entering the forest…

• 2 weeks later...

The room still smelled faintly of arsenic, though the potent gas was quickly dispersing with the inflow of air from the now open Dwemer doors. The ever-ppresent sounds of Dwarven machinations and constructs continued their dutiful thrum, louder now as the group entered into the ruins proper. Raurke spoke up in the darkness as Duncan lit a torch and Felix conjured up magelight. "Yes, Dwarven cities are filled with wonder, Will." Noting the thief's earlier comment; having went almost unheard. "When they aren't trying to kill you." Signs of their prey continued on into the ruins on the dusty flagstones, showing a casual pace; likely unhindered by the previous trap, or having set it themselves. "Do you think they expect trouble?" Carter asked, palming his hidden blades. Duncan chuckled "Likely. They did steal from an Imperial outpost. Even if what they stole is hush-hush, the Empire gave the job to an assassin and an ex-legionnaire." Carter nodded solemnly.

"Well, I know they've piqued my interest." Raurke chimed. "Let's just hope we can catch them unaware." At this, he cast a furtive glance at the young mage and the thief. William returned the glance. "Hey, I may be a thief, but I ain't stupid." He then took a piece of charcoal and marked a symbol on the doorway. the shadowmark for 'Escape Route'. "Just in case things go pear-shaped." the thief said with a shrug. The group continued on, Raurke taking point and pointing out pressure plates, tripwires, and pitfalls. After what felt like hours, Raurke stopped and raised his fist. 'Stop' he signed, then put his hand to his ear, signaling 'listen.'

From the next cavernous chamber, and slightly below their level, voices could be heard; "Damn it, Edwin. Mara preserve you if you've really lost the Scarab." This voice, the light, airy tones of a female Altmer angrily scolded.

"I swear, I had it at Dragonbridge! You've gotta believe me." This second voice also Aldmeri, though simpering and apologetic. "You belive me, don't you, Gilgamesh?"

A third Altmer retorted, just as angry. "I believe you've got slippery fingers and a scattered mind, Edwin. The Dominion tasked us with finding the Chimeran artifact here, and your blundering may very well have cost us our lives.

Edited by charlescrowe

Cautiously, the group crept toward the voices. A large set of bronze-coloured doors opened (thankfully quietly) into a large round room. A staircase wound up and down along the Stone walls. Chiselled windows looked out into an enormous cavern, where round towers stood like pillars. Flat bridges spanned the towers at various heights, forming suspended roads between balconies. All was lit by the warm glow of lamps, powered by some miracle of Dwemer engineering. The Altmers' voices echoed about, their direction unclear. Raurke was standing very still, his head cocked.

“Down, I think.†Felix murmured. Raurke looked unsure. “Trust me, I have an ear for this kind of thing.â€

Will made toward the stairs. “If they're after something hidden by the Dwemer, it'll be as far down as possible.†Raurke shrugged, and they all followed, listening to their quarry argue.

The one identified as Gilgamesh was speaking. “So. We'll have to track down the scarab again. Shall we head back up? I see little point in continuing without it.â€

“No.†The female speaker, now. “We don't have time to retrace our steps. We'll continue on; Send a familiar to find it. Have you lost the journal as well, Edwin? Then give it to me. Both of you ready yourselves. We will need to pass the animunculus as a group.â€

This was followed by a sonorous thud, and the low hum of a rift opening to Oblivion.

“Zrikt!â€

The smell of water was suddenly present and strong, as if a door had opened to an underground lake, or ocean. A sharp crack, and the hum was cut off, and the misty scent quickly faded. Gilgamesh spoke again:

“I assume you were listening, and understand what is required of you?â€

“Your voice carries aloft, to the ears of your enemies.†The new voice spoke softly, but was rich and resonant, easily as audible as the Altmers' hoarse speech. It sounded almost as two people speaking in perfect synchronisation; it spoke in two pitches at once, from which strange harmonics were formed, floating faintly above.

Gilgamesh's reply was scornful. “Speak to me yes or no, and spare me your pathetic riddling. Find the scarab key and return it to me. Do not divert or dally. Do not reveal your presence unnecessarily. If you decided to reinterpret this command to vex me, or return with the wrong key, know that I will trap you in Mundus eternally, and impale you on silver spikes, alone on some gods-forsaken mountaintop. Do you understand?â€

“...Yes.â€

“Then go, and be quick about it.â€

“Let us be on. We have wasted enough time here already.†Said the woman.

Will reached the bottom of the stairs. There were no windows in this room, only two double doors. It was mostly empty, save for tables along the walls, and a broken machine on the floor. Stepping over it, he noticed a face: a beaten bronze mask attached to a neck-like armature. Probably the remains of an ancient clockwork soldier, common to the halls of the long lost Dwemer. He had fought such machines before, and it seemed odd that they had encountered none until now.

Without warning, the double doors opened. Beyond was the cavern, a road-bridge stretching out from the doorway to the open roof of another tower. Standing in the doorway, silhouetted by the orange glow of the lamps, stood an enormous creature. It had the stature of a human, standing seven feet tall. Naked, muscular in a thin and wiry way, it seemed almost like a man had been stretched taller. From it's head sprouted antlers, which reached short of the tall doorway.

It stepped into the room. Duncan drew his swords, the rest of the group following suit. The room was lit blue-white from electricity arcing between Felix's fingers. But the creature ignored them, turning to ascend the stairs. It paused at one of Will's “escape route†shadowmarks. The lines of the symbol shifted and wriggled, rearranging themselves to form the symbol for “danger: Do not go this wayâ€. It smiled. Under this light they could see the colour of it's skin: much like a sunned Breton's. Along it's spine, overlapping armour-like plates of bone grew out, covering its back.

It spoke: “Water. Snowflake... Musicians. Oath.â€

“Perhaps we should kill it†Will said, as it walked up the stairs and out of sight.

“I say we leave it†said Carter. “I'm curious to know what this hunt is really all about. We'll probably need that scarab key.â€

Felix mad a gesture to the open doorway, as if to say “after youâ€, or perhaps “ladies firstâ€.

---------------------

The bridge had led them to a wide boulevard spanning the cavern, going through an archway carved out of a vertical wall of rock, and continuing along a wide tunnel, lined with bronze pipes. As they passed through, Will looked back at the pillar-like towers, and remarked that they should take their time on the way back to look for treasure. Raurke had found evidence of Gilgamesh's summoning, and they were confident they were on the right track, and getting closer.

“All the paths are converging here†said Raurke. “It is likely that we stand between them and their only exit.â€

“Cornered rats.†Carter said. “We should probably-â€

A voice boomed out from ahead, cutting Carter off. Speaking in a guttural language none of them had ever heard, each word echoed and reverberated in the pipes and down the tunnel. It sounded as if a great organ were speaking; the vowels bell-like and sonorous, the consonants rattling and cracking.

“What in Talos' name is that?†Raurke had reflexively drawn his sword. The voice grew to be all around them, coming from every direction. Abruptly, it stopped.

Duncan began moving at a jog. “Probably something bad. And big. Something tells me that we should move faster. I don't want to be stuck in a tunnel if it comes this way.â€

The voice rang out again. This time, it's words were clear:

“THREE LIVES HAVE I.

SOFT ENOUGH TO SOOTH THE SKIN

LIGHT ENOUGH TO ROAM THE SKY

OR HARD ENOUGH TO BREAK FROM WITHIN.â€

“It sounds less menacing in Cyrodiilic†said Will, matter-of-factly.

“IT IS TRUE.â€

“Was that Dwemeris you were speaking before?â€

“Idiot!†said Raurke. “It's talking to our quarry, not you. Keep your voice down, or we'll lose the element of surprise.â€

“I can hardly hear myself think after that thing talks.†Duncan had his fingers in his ears. “Besides, that was a riddle. It's another infernal Dwemer puzzle, which means we'll have to speak to it too. There's no way they won't hear it when we do.â€

Felix was frowning. “Three lives... Spriggan? No... Any of you guys know that one?â€

“TURN BACK.

SEEK YOUR WEAPONS WITHIN

FOR THOSE FROM WITHOUT SHALL TURN INWARD.â€

The tunnel ended. Beyond was another cavern, almost like a chasm in the earth. The road became a bridge again, reaching across an unfathomable depth to the other side.

In the middle of the bridge stood an gigantic Dwemer construct. Felix had seen a drawing once, in a rare and dusty tome, that spoke of the devil in Red Mountain, and of the Warp in the west. The animunculus before them had the same proud, stylised face, the same herioc and masculine figure... But surely it was too small to be the Numidium. It only stood as tall as four men. It certainly looked huge this close, but not as the colossus of legend.

There was no cover, nor any way to hide. Presumably it saw them, as once again its voice boomed out, reverberating about the chasm.

“A WHITE BIRD, FEATHERLESS

FLEW FROM PARADISE

AND ALIT ON THE CASTLE WALL.

ALONG CAME LORD LANDLESS

WHO TOOK IT UP, HANDLESS

AND RODE AWAY, HORSELESS

TO THE KING'S WHITE HALL.â€

“Well, there goes the element of surprise. That's a tough one.†The party glanced nervously at the robot, then glared at Felix.

“You realise it could well have taken that remark for an answer?†Asked Carter.

“That's not how it works.†he replied. “The game of riddles was important to the Dwemer, and holds a fair degree of subtle power. This machine is built to play by the rules. So what do you think? 'King's white hall' makes me think of Sovngarde, or perhaps the Ayleids...White Gold Tower?â€

“There are four paradoxes†said Raurke. “A bird without feathers, a lord without land, who takes without hands, and rides with no horse.â€

“I prefer the 'three lives' one.†said Will. “Can we ask to do that one instead?â€

“Aha!†Everyone looked at Felix. “Wind! It must be wind. A lord without lands, who takes things away without hands.â€

They pondered this. “What about the bird?†Carter asked.

“Could be anything. If it flies, the wind takes it. It must be the wind; it just makes sense.â€

“I'm not so certain,†Duncan interjected, “but they now know we're right behind them. We can't afford to waste time. If there's another exit, then we'll lose them.â€

Felix was incredulous. “Who guards a room with something like this, and then builds a back door?â€

“Actually, the Dwemer do that all the time.†Will said. “Kind of crazy, but the door is usually cunningly concealed from the outside, and can only be opened from within.â€

“I think wind sounds good enough.†said Raurke. “Let's get on with it.â€

“Okay.†Felix advanced toward the animunculus. “Come on.â€

The construct really was huge. Up close, Felix could see how it imitated humanoid musculature with arrays of pistons. Its many joints and components hissed softly.

“The answer,†Felix's voice felt tiny in the vast space. The great head turned down to stare at him. “Is wind.â€

A long, drawn out moment of silence. Then: “IT IS FALSE.â€

Felix was stunned. He turned and looked at the rest of the group, who had clapped their hands over their ears at the sound of the huge voice. They looked dismayed. He turned turned to the animunculus.

“Well...Damn. What was the answer then?â€

“TURN BACK.

RETURN TO FROM WHERE YOU CAME,

OR BE DESTORYED.â€

“No! You haven't yet won.†At this the machine suddenly shifted it stance. Steam poured from its joints, forming a wreath about its head. Its arms came up from its sides, and blades extending from its hands. It stepped forward, sending tremors along the stone bridge. The group scrambled back, but Felix didn't move. As the animunculus raised its arm to strike, Felix yelled:

“Four men sat down to play!â€

The machine abrubtly stopped.

“They played all night 'till break of day.

They played for coin and not for fun,

With separate scores for everyone.

And when the came to square accounts

They all had made quite fair amounts.

Can you this paradox explain:

If no men lost, how did all gain?â€

Joints hissing, the animunculus stepped back, and resumed its stance across the bridge. It was silent.

“What's happened?†Asked Duncan. “Is it thinking?â€

“I think it is... it's hard to tell.†Said Felix. “That... Was quite close.†He stepped back from the machine, and sat on the ground. “If it solves it, do we know any more riddles? I have a few, but this may go on for a while.â€

“I know one.†Said Raurke. “It goes: Thirty white horses on a red hill-â€

“How old are you?†Will interrupted. “That one was probably old when this thing was built. Everyone knows that one.â€

Raurke looked annoyed.

“I may know one†Said Carter. “How does it go...â€

The animunculus suddenly bellowed: “FOUR MEN IN THE NIGHT

GAMBLED ON A FIGHT.â€

“Damn it.†Carter began pacing. “How does it go... Marrow, not bone...â€

“It's okay.†Felix got to his feet. “It's wrong. A fight is not the answer.â€

“Really? It sounds right to me.â€

Felix stepped before the animunculus again. “It is false. Let us pass.†It did not move.

“WHAT, ONCE GIVEN

MUST BE KEPT?â€

Carter chuckled. “A promise. The answer is a promise.â€

“IT IS TRUE.†The animunculus stepped aside, allowing the way. “TURN BACK.

SEEK YOUR WEAPONS WITHIN,

FOR THOSE FROM WITHOUT SHALL TURN INWARD.â€

“Nice one Carter.†Will was eyeing the construct mistrustfully. “If we lose or win, it tells us to turn back.â€

“Well, I like the sound of this dangerous weapon. It looks like we can go through now.†Raurke stepped past the animunculus. Duncan thought he was trying hard not to do it gingerly. The machine remained motionless. They moved on.

As they approached the far wall of the chasm, Felix, frowning, asked, “What was it the Daedra said?â€

“The antlered one?†Will replied. “I dunno, something about water? I think it was a Xivilai.â€

Felix stopped. “Three lives it has... what was the rest?â€

Raurke looked back. “No time to lose. Come on, hurry up.

Felix shook his head, and jogged after the rest of the group.

Edited by ResolveThatChord

“Hi...looks like everything's here,†Red said happily as her eyes laid upon the glimmering weapons resting innocently on the straws of hay, “Stroke of luck, eh?â€

“Luck?†Nina asked Red grimly before shaking her head and wandering away from the group to explore the rest of the cavernous room. Ignoring the curious stares she was receiving from the others, she turned her head towards the alcoves and caved-in doorways, searching for any Forsworn that might be hiding and waiting for the opportunity to ambush them.

Shaking off the straw, Red looked at the engravings on the head of the axe in curiosity and ran her fingers along the ridges, saying with a small chuckle, “Heh, you know...if Manan didn't have his heart set in having these back, I wouldn't mind 'borrowing' one for, say...an extended period of time.â€

“Share, dearie,†Grond smiled as he worked on pulling the rest of the equipment from the boxes, “You're not the only one who can be smitten by dwarven work.â€

Red winked at the Nord as she held the axe and gave it a few soft swings. But it wasn't long until she frowned in concern and stared at the weapon. “Wow....this feels, I dunno....awkward, I guess? Something doesn't feel right about this...â€

“Okay...awkward is not a good word,†Nina commented and withdrew her gaze from one of the caved-in doorway to look at the red-headed bard, “What do you mean 'awkward'? What's wrong?â€

Red shook her head and wordlessly handed the axe to Grond, who immediately began scrutinizing it carefully with his fingers. “Mm...The weight is all wrong. This thing should be balanced, but instead...†he said and held up the axe with two fingers at the base of the head. Almost immediately, the axe slipped from Grond's hand and crashed onto the floor, “...all the weight is on the head.†he concluded.

Nina, done with her search, finally wandered back towards the group and lifted the axe up from the ground to hold it herself, “Maybe....a mistake on the blacksmith's part?†she asked the Nord, “I know dwarven weaponry's quality is hard to duplicate, much less even forge for an average Imperial.â€

But Grond shook his head, “You can't mess up dwarven metal that badly. At least not without it looking like a big blob of mess instead of an axe. It's the material that was used to create it.â€

Nina nodded thoughtfully and held up the axe in front of her face, looking at it carefully, before she slammed the side of the head against one of the stone columns still standing within the room. Sparks from where metal met stone flew across the room and Nina held up the axe close to the small ball of light in Haunt's hands. There, bold as the sun, was gray matter sticking out against the bright orange of the axe. “Shaped and painted to look like dwarven,†Nina said with a small chuckle, “Too bad they couldn't have had the decency to at least use steel. This thing can't even gut a pig.â€

“Damn....looks like you get your wish, Grond. We're going bandit-hunting,†Red said and laughed before running towards the only doorway that wasn't caved in by century-old rocks, instead featuring a solid iron door, “Come on! It's a tomb! There's bound to be treasure in here, right?â€

“And draugr,†Nina said as she caught up with Red, “Never been in a tomb where there wasn't anything dead sitting upright and walking around.†Nina shivered at the thought of reanimated corpses and shook her head before gently pushing the bard along. “Alright, come on...the sooner we get past the corpses and spiders and stuff, the happier I'll be.â€

Red raised an eyebrow at her before grabbing Nina's sleeve and pulling her up into the front, “That's it. You get scout duty just for that little comment about the spiders.â€

“Oh come on now,†the female Nord said with a sheepish grin, “spiders can't be any bigger than your foot...†But under the increasingly-annoyed glare from Red, Nina chuckled and rolled her eyes, “Alright alright, I'll shut up about the spiders and stuff. Happy?â€

“I will be as soon as you do shut up,†she said and pushed Nina along with a small smirk as they ventured into the bowels of the tomb.

---------------------

The group met little resistance as they made their way further down the tomb. Though the hallways were coated with cobwebs and occasional skeever nests, there was barely any lifeform that posed as a challenge for the group. Though Nina kept a close eye on the skeletons that littered the floor, none of them ever came back to life. After running into several caved portions of the hallways and rooms that led to nowhere, they finally reached a large room at the end of the hallway.

“Another dead end...†Grond muttered. Coffins were lined up on the walls of the room along with tables filled with embalming tools and tattered linen cloths. But by the looks of things, it seemed as if this room was indeed another dead end. Except now he didn't know where they could turn next.

“I wouldn't be so quick to judge...†Haunt said quietly. Being their silent companion throughout most of their trip, his voice suddenly popping up was enough to startle Nina. With a yelp, she tripped over a few bones that were scattered on the ground and slammed into the wall before sliding down onto the ground, “Ow....Haunt!†she complained and glared at the Breton, who only shrugged. “Man, dude...give us some sort of warning that you're here or something, 'kay? You scared the heck out of me.â€

“Afraid something's going to pop out of these coffins, Nina?†Red said with a snicker.

“Actually, yes,†Nina muttered and rubbed the back of her hand before pulling herself back up to her feet. But as she tended to her bruises, her eye caught something unusual on the wall. Blinking a little, she tilted her head up to stare at the wall before her and realized quickly what it was. “A puzzle!â€

“Exactly,†Haunt said and joined up with Nina to examine the wall. The light from his hand illuminated the wall brightly enough to show everyone in the room what it was: a series of rings that spanned across almost the entire wall, all the pieces aligned in a random order. There were faint outlines of an image etched across each piece, but the nature of the image was impossible to discern at the moment.

Nina brushed her hand along the faint lines in the stone and rested her finger on the center piece, “Here's the origin. All we need to do is line up all the pieces to match up the center and we'll be able to get through in no time.†Without waiting for anyone to comment, Nina pushed down on one of the rings and spun it to the right just a little bit.

Suddenly, there was a creak of joints and gears clicking together faintly as two other rings followed the ring Nina was pushing, causing her to cuss loudly; one of the rings that happened to move was the origin piece itself. “Aw come on...Even the origin piece? Really? Gods, why couldn't they just stick with gas traps or something...?†she growled angrily.

“I dunno, I think the walking dead is enough of a trap, don't you think?†Red said. This caused Nina to turn around and look at Red confused. Red shrugged and silently pointed behind her, where Nina could hear the faint rattling of bones as skeletons rearranged themselves to dutifully protect their tomb. The puzzle had been rigged to reanimate the dead should anyone dare tamper with the doorway.

“Oh. Great. Just what we need: Pressure,†Nina muttered, “Haunt, help me out with this damn thing,†she said to Haunt before she turned back to the puzzle. Biting her lip, she began spinning pieces at random, causing all others to move along with them. She was only faintly aware of the sounds of fighting behind her as she concentrated on how to reverse the trap.

• 2 weeks later...

"Nina, stop." Haunt told her firmly, as she turned to meet his gaze.

"What? Why?! If we don't get this sorted now those bags of bones wi-" Nina began to snap in a confused panic.

"Nina, trust me, you just watch my back with Red and Grond, and whatever you do, do not let the Draugr get near me." Haunt consoled her.

"I.....allright. You better know what you're doing!" Nina shouted as she ran to Red and Grond's side. As she did so, she heard a sound like nothing she had ever heard before, she turned to see Haunt frozen in a light.

"What in Oblivion is he doing?!" Nina panicked at the sight of him.

"If it gets us through that door, I don't care!" Grond replied as he swung his hammer into the decaying ribcage of a Draugr, shattering it's bones, then taunting the others approached from the dark corridors that were still only a few moments before.

"Nina, behind you!" Red called, a Draugr creeping up on the Nord.

"Damn bonewalkers!" Nina screamed as she drew her dagger and thrust it into her undead foe.

"I think we have a bit of a problem....." Muttered Red.

"A bit of a problem? What do you mean you think we have a bit of a problem?! More than the one we have?!" Nina's eyes widened as she asked the red haired bard.

"Look....." Red gestured to the Draugr Grond had knocked down, it's bones pulling back together.

"Oh, don't tell me.....they're just going to get back up again and again....." Nina groaned, the fear had taken it's toll and she had gone emotionally numb. Red nodded, as Nina suddenly screached as the Draugr she had just decimated grabbed onto her ankles.

"Get off of me!" Nina screamed as she began to shake the creature off and kick it in it's head.

"Heh, makes no difference to me, besides more bone crushin'!" Grond shrugged as he once again smashed his hammer into the reanimating Draugr's bones. The majority of the Draugr now entering the room.

"Looks like we're in for some fun....." Red chimed as she drew her sword with her crooked smirk.

"Fun? This is killin' me!" Nina mumbled as she reluctantly prepared herself for the horde of relentless undead approaching.

There was a flash of light and a rumble as suddenly Haunt began to glow brighter.

"Haunt said not to let these creeps get to him!" Nina half shouted, half groaned.

"Best not let them, then....." Red signalled to Grond, who then charged into the undead, Grond flinging his hammer to and fro from the walking remains of ancient warriors. Red flanked them, cutting off arms and severing bones. Nina used her bow, sniping them as best she could, the arrows, though not as effective as against the undead as a blade, allowed her to keep her distance.

Grond tried crushing their bones into dust as much as he could, making it as hard as possible for the Draugr to recover, while Red found herself surround by a group of them.

"I wonder if they have any brains left." Red wondered to herself, as she taunted two different Draugr opposite eachother. They both attempted to take a swing at her, as she rolled out of the way and they slashed into eachother, losing both of their sword arms.

"That answers that question." She laughed to herself.

Nina realised keeping her distance wasn't helping her at all, as a Draugr Overlord picked her out as an easy target.

"Damnit....." Nina sighed as she drew her sword again. "OK Nina, time to overcome your fear.....just beat the damn thing back into it's own grave." She whispered to herself, taking a swing towards it's arm, the Draugr dodging it and retaliating with it's own swing towards her neck, which she just about outmanuevered. Nina then returned the favour by attempting a thrust towards the Draugr's own neck, failing when it grabbed her wrist, twisting it so she would have to kneel down before it.

"Allright, I don't think I'll be over this fear anytime soon....." Nina whispered panickingly to herself, closing her eyes waiting for the end. "I'm sorry....." She sighed.

She was startled to the sound of bone breaking and opened her eyes to Grond standing above the now crushed Draugr, it's hand still holding firmly to her wrist, she began to pry it's fingers off from around her skin. "Sorry for what now?" Grond reached his hand down to her with a smile, helping her to stand back up. Nina smiled back at him. "For a minute there I thought it was over." She told him.

"Not on my watch, my dear." He said with a wink.

"I could do with a bit of help here, you know!" Red called, holding back the Draugr to the best of her ability.

"On the way dear!" Grond charged forward, and then stopped when light flashed from Haunt for a final time, dispering with a rumble from around him as he rushed forward to the puzzle, his hands moving the pieces with a flurry of clicks following his movements, all of the pieces fitting in perfectly with eachother in order and finally stopping. The image of the puzzle formed into a door, the frame of it a scarab.

"Nina! Quickly! The scarab key!" Haunt called to her. In a heartbeat Nina threw the key to him. He caught it and hurriedly unlocked the door and opened it. "Through the door everyone!" He shouted, Nina ran through like there was no tomorrow, Grond arriving at the door second, waited for Red.

"Ladies first, just mind the spiders." The Nord gestured to the bard. She laughed "Oh you're in for it now, my greyhound!" as she darted through, Grond following her with a chuckle. Haunt conjured up an orb of flame in his hands, and sent it hurtling into the horde of undead, setting them aflame when it exploded, before walking through the door and sealing it shut behind him.

Raurke was starting to feel uncomfortable; why had the only Dwemer contraption they had encountered been so passive? All the Dwemer ruins he'd been in during the last two centuries had been fit to burst with the infernal constructs, and they'd waste no time in attacking any hapless adventurer Nocturnal had the humor to send stumbling across them.

"Falmer." came William's voice, hushed and apprehensive, pointing out odd chitin-and-bone architecture ahead. In reply, a flash of firey red light emenated from further on, followed by the sound of a fireball impacting and exploding against a surface.

"Explains the lack of constructs." This time it was Felix who had chimed in, from which he continued; "I'm sure our targets are already aware of our presence, what say we hurry?" With this, the young mage shrugged.

Duncan and Carter laughed simultaneously, finishing each other's sentences. "Aye, I would hate to lose a bounty..." "To the Falmer, mindless cretins wouldn't even know what to do with a Septim."

Spurred onward by competitive spirit and no small amount of greed, the group quickened their pace. The sounds of combat ahead faded into silence almost as quickly as they had started as the quintet got closer, and the voices of the elves could be heard once again. "Edwin, what in blazes is that mark on your shoulder?" the nameless female's voice echoed.

"Mark? What mark? I see no mark!" a second voice, Edwin's piped up in reply, nervous tones creeping in. The sound of a scuffle came shortly afterward, followed by a grunt and the ripping of fabric. A curse too foul to be repeated cam from the woman, her tone of utmost rage. "The axe of Talos. Traitor! Heathen and spy!" She yelled. "Aye, I'm a Talos worshipper, Aramel. Not all of us believe in the 'cause'." Edwin's voice spat, no longer sounding like a bungling fool.

The sudden sound of a mace connecting with flesh resounded with a thud, soliciting a grunt and a slightly more faint thud as Edwin slumped to the ground. "Come, Gil. Let the heretic to die, alone." A minute passed, and Raurke and company were within sight of the dissident High Elf. Raurke went to the young elf, checking his vitals. "He's alive, but only just. It's unfortunate, my restoration skills are quite rusty, Felix, any chance you can atleast get him stabilized?" A look of pity and righteous fury emblazened on the Revenant's face, which was now slowly contorting into the visage of a monster. Looking at the mark on Edwin's shoulder, Raurke saw a familiar design hidden within the patterns in the Axe of Talos; a Raven's Skull. "By the nine, no. I recognize that mark." he said with regret, pulling his leather cuirass up and turning to show the group his bare, heavily scarred and tattooed back.

Edited by charlescrowe

• 3 weeks later...

An argonian, breton, and high elf rode to the northeast of the forsworn territory surrounding Markarth, having done their business there and setting their sights on trading in Solitude. They were crossing the mountains, protected from forsworn assault by the presence of their breton companion, although of course they were still open to bandit attack, but that seemed on the unlikely end of the scale, seeing as they were in the snowbound part of the mountain. The trio stopped to the rest for a moment, the altmer looking out over the horizon, spouting "The wind isn't blowing, not a sound except for us, like the whole world has stopped in anticipation of something." Sure enough, there was something the world was anticipating; a dog sat some feet away from them, and it looked back and forth from its argonian pack-leader to the high elf, and then looked down when it felt a distinct thud coming from under it. The trio looked back at where the dog sat, and a moment after, the dog and the concealed iron door it sat upon shot two meters into the air, snow spraying under the dog & door.

Just as soon as the dog and door rose, they landed, and a nord's head popped out of the space where the snow-covered door once rested. Before the awe-stuck group could react, the nord surveyed the scene & asked "Did I forget to knock?" The dog was the first to recover, curiously inspecting Grond and taking note of his friends below. The argonian introduced himself first; "The name's Akash, my dog comes to the name of Sindri. We're... pleased, to meet you?", "You mean pleased to meet us. My name's Grond, by the way." the nord boasted as he rose from the underground. He was followed followed by Red, Nina, and Haunt, and after the group shared their names with each other, they explained their group's presence.

"We just got out of a dungeon crawling with draugr and the threat of... spiders" Red shuddered, and Haunt sarcastically noted "All the while solving puzzles laid down by the dwemer with the draugr as the timer. Sounds fun, doesn't it?" Grond boasted "Oh yes, very fun." Haunt retorted with a smirk on his face "I was asking them, not you." Nina reminded the others of their missing companions, "William and the others who went with him are still in the underground, and we probably still have business to do with the scarab key." The breton, Berach, thought for a moment, and asked "So, now that we have a basic understanding of who we are, might we ask; would you permit swords-for-hire to assist in what sounds to be a rescue mission? Or are additional hands inappropriate in this situation?"

The group only glanced at each other briefly before Nina spoke first, her tone flat and business-like, “Manan can wait on the shipments. It's not likely that he'll be needing those fairly soon,†she said.

“Aye, maybe,†Grond said, scratching his chin in thought, “....what'll be in it for us?â€

The Breton chuckled, knowing full well Grond's motives, “Gold, for sure,†Berach said with a nod, “Knowing these men, they'll have plenty of it. It's yours if you'll help us. We're, eh....comparatively outnumbered. It would be good to have a few extra hands with us.â€

“'Comparatively'?†Nina said with an eyebrow raised, “Let me guess....three to one?â€

“.....more like four. Not in numbers, but they can handle themselves fairly well in battle,†Berach said with a shrug.

“In other words, they're not your usual bandits,†the Nord said and shook her head, “You know, you can be a lot easier on the slower folk behind me by dropping the fancy speech. Even my vocabulary's a little rusty.â€

“And my military vocabulary is far from par at best, ma'am,†the Breton said with a smile, “perhaps we can settle to a compromise, then?â€

“I know better than to barter with you folks,†Nina said with a roll of her eyes, “Gods only know how I tend to screw situations up by only talking.â€

“Yes, that is quite obvious,†Glynis said and approached the group with a friendly smile, “All we are asking for is a little help, with a small reward for your efforts. So....will you help us?â€

Everyone only took a moment to think about it before shrugging and nodding. Nina, however, did not smile back; her face instead grew dark at the sudden approach of the high elf, “....depends,†she finally said after a moment of silence, “I wish to talk to you in private first, Akash, if you do not mind?†Nina said suddenly to the Argonian, not taking her eyes off of Glynis.

Akash only blinked a little in surprise before nodding and walking off to a distance, the Nord following behind him quickly. Glynis watched them walk off before sighing quietly, a hint of pity in her voice, “Only I know too well what you're going to say....â€

Akash knew what Nina was going to say as well and, as soon as they were a reasonable distance away from the group, he said definitively, “Glynis is our friend. Yes, she is an Altmer, but that does not change anything.â€

“Maybe not for you,†Nina said in a dangerous tone, “but for me, it changes plenty of things. Have you forgotten who the Thalmor tend to be made up of?â€

“Altmer, yes I know,†Akash said impatiently, “but she is not one of them. She's our friend and we trust her with our lives.â€

“But I don't,†she growled, “I've yet to see proof that she is not with the Aldmeri Dominion.â€

“Ah, I see...†Akash said with an annoyed tone, “You want to see proof for something that cannot be proven except through actions. You haven't even met her for two seconds before flying off the handle, Nina.â€

“'Flying off the handle?'†Nina said and glared at him, “Sorry if I'm just a little paranoid, Akash, but I kinda care if people get hurt on my watch. Especially when the Aldmeri Dominion's involved.â€

Akash only crossed his arms and stared at Nina before shaking his head, “It's alright, Nina. We get this kind of reaction a lot. If you don't want to come with us, then we won't force you.†And with that, Akash walked back to rejoin the newly expanded group, leaving Nina to stand in the snow thinking about what to do.

“What's wrong with Nina?†Grond asked as soon as Akash was within earshot.

“It does not look like she will be joining us,†the Argonian replied. But as he said that, Nina suddenly appeared beside Grond and said, “Never said that, now did I? Just...don't make any sudden moves,†she warned Glynis. Though she was not reassured as the high elf nodded her head, she gave her a wary look before asking Berach, “So....which way are we heading? And who are these people who've captured your friend? Come on, don't hold out on the details. They save lives, you know.â€

Nala surveyed the ground from her perch high above the ground on a tree. As time went on she’d occasionally hear the sound of people moving about in the forest, shouting at one another to keep pace. Apparently those bandits hadn't given up the search for her just yet. She couldn't fathom why considering all she took with her was the bear pelt. Was it really that valuable? Perhaps she had just hurt their pride and they refused to give up on her for that reason? All she knew was she wanted to be far, far away from them and preferably in a warm, cozy bed. She shivered as the water dripped from her fur onto the forest floor below. It wasn't her best idea but what else could she have done in that situation? Take an axe to the face? Nala pulled the pelt tighter around her, her teeth chattering loudly. It wasn’t the biggest pelt she had ever seen, in fact it was rather small, but the fur was incredibly fine and a rich brown color that appealed to the eyes.

‘It’s also soaking wet and not giving me a lot of warmth, ‘ She thought as she glared at the mass of wet fur.

If she didn’t want to become hypothermic she’d have to get a move on. Nala gave a long look around and listened for the sound of the bandits anywhere nearby. When she neither saw nor heard anything she climbed awkwardly down to the forest floor, the bear pelt giving her a lot of trouble on the way down. After a couple of minutes she reached the ground and made her way further away from the direction she had come from. This wasn’t Nala’s first time being chased but it was certainly her first time being chased by bandits. Such loveable lumps the lot of them are… With their axes and their missing teeth. Perhaps she could have them over for dinner one of these days. Nala stifled a laugh at the thought as she clambered over a fallen tree and into a clearing.

Nala felt her body stiffen and her eyes grow wide as they fixed themselves onto a bandit on the other side of the clearing whose only response was to stare back at her. They stood staring at one another for what seemed like a long while before Nala bolted only to be cut off by another bandit. He grinned, revealing his filthy teeth and began to chuckle as Nala backed away from him slowly. Once again she found herself in another dangerous situation. When was her luck going to improve? She turned to look at the bandit she had first encountered to see that he had closed some space between them. It was clear to her that she wasn’t going anywhere without having to deal with these two one way or another. Nala gingerly set the bear pelt on the ground before standing ready. She waited patiently for them to make a move as the two circled her like a pack of vicious wolves.

She slid passed the sword as it crashed into the ground before narrowly dodging a blow from the axe that followed. While the axe-wielding bandit was recovering from swinging his axe at her, Nala shot a fist out that crashed heavily into his face. He grunted but recovered quickly and swung the axe at her once again only for her to dodge it by somersaulting backwards. The swordsman, who had been preoccupied with removing his sword from the ground, gave up on the sword and drew a dagger from his boot. He roared as he lunged at Nala from the side while she was still recovering from the somersault. She spun under the blade as it cut the air above her and delivered a devastating sweep kick to the swordsman’s legs. The swordsman dropped the dagger as he was swept off his feet and onto the ground with a resounding thump. Nala, still in a crouched position, gasped as the axe-wielder landed a kick on her ribcage and sent her to the ground.

Nala sat up clutching her ribs as the axe-wielder approached her with his axe ready. When he reached her, the axe-wielder gave her another disgusting grin before lifting his axe for the killing blow. Just when the axe-wielder moved to swing his axe for the final blow Nala rushed at him from the ground and planted the swordsman's dagger deep into his chest. The axe-wielder leaned onto her small frame gasping, shivering, and staring wide-eyed at nothing. When it was clear he was dead Nala pushed him off of her and his corpse toppled to the ground in a heap. Nala panted as she clutched her ribcage in pain. The swordsman was on his feet again and was eyeing her resentfully. He had recovered his blade. She stared straight into his eyes as she drew an elegant Elsweyrian blade from underneath her cloak. She had never used the blade in a real fight and she had never intended to. It was one of the few items that were found with her on the day she was left on the steps of the orphanage.

The swordsman broke their standoff by lunging at her with a vicious stab, which she dodged by leaning to the side while twisting her upper body. She followed up by slashing at the swordsman’s chest with the Elsweyrian blade. He staggered back clutching his chest in pain and growled at her angrily. The fur armor that protected him wasn’t the ideal thing to wear in a fight. It was also in Nala's favor that these bandits weren't the smartest bunch. He glared at her angrily as he roared in a fit of rage and attempted to slash at her with a heavy swing of his sword. Once again, Nala spun under his sword and swept the bandit off his feet, only this time she used a deadly slash of her blade. The bandit toppled over onto the floor groaning in agony and did not get up again. Nala panted heavily as she stood over him and raised her blade high over her head.

The bandit stared into her eyes with the fear of death painted on his face.

“May the Nine have mercy on your soul, rest in peace...!†She whispered as she planted the blade deep into his chest.

Edited by Vereta

The darkness of the crypt was suffocating, only broken by the solemn glow of a single wisp. Its soft blue light arced deeper into the crypt, plunging straight into a sarcophagus, stirring the inhabitant. The lid of the sarcophagus burst open, the wisp fleeing a skeletal hand desperately, but the hand's owner was fast, taking hold of the wisp and pulling it back, it's glow wavering and disappearing. The chamber was plunged into darkness.

"...my raven?" a dry, raspy voice croaked out, a new, sickly green light emanating from the skeleton. The corpse took a couple steps, muscle and sinew appearing from ash. "Where are you, my raven?" the corpse ground out again, voice slowly changing into that of a young woman. Flesh now generating atop the muscle, giving way to black leather garments as she took a few more steps. The figure, now distinctively Bosmeri, fastened a pair of scimitars to her back, asking her mournful question again before vanishing into darkness.

Outside the crypt, the woman sniffed at the air. Northwest, yes, northwest was where her raven was. Bearings regained, she headed north and west, occasionally disappearing in a puff of black smoke and reappearing several meters further along her path.

Rock and dust crumbled and the rope of the mining rig creaked as Jayn kicked off the rock face again swinging wider toward a narrow walkway on the far side of the chamber. The rope snapped and gravity returned with a vengeance, but not before her gloved hand met the rock and the safety it provided. She watched for a timeless moment as the rope and mining rig plummeted into a dark shaft below so deep its descent was soundless; it was a fall she could have easily shared.

"Not quite as graceful as I planned, but I'll take it," she mused quietly to the darkness. Just then the distant chittering of Falmer echoed faintly down the dark halls ahead. The way sound traveled along these dwermer mined tunnels they could be miles away, but wherever they were, there was no mistaking the excitement in their terrible shrieking voices. Something had gotten their attention, and now it had hers as well. Jayn drew her dwemeri crossbow from her back and a second bolt from the quiver on her thigh and nocked it in the chamber before moving down the shadowed corridor ahead as silently as mist blowing over the rock.

Felix took a step toward Raurke for a closer look when the sound of Falmer gathering deep in the holds of the ruins echoed eerily. The revenant slid back into his leathers as he stood slowly.

“Leave him,” he said quietly even as Edwin’s last breath was leaving him. “We’re out of time.”

“Agreed,” William replied quietly, moving forward to the next tunnel ahead of them, “we can’t be too far behind them now, we better go.”

They fell into silent step behind the thief as he vanished into shadow. The tunnel echoed eerily as if whispers were swirling all around them, a mix of rushing water, haunting wind, distant Falmer shrieks, and more subtly, the voices of their quarry just ahead. At the tunnel’s end, the darkness was flecked by the shimmering orange glow of torchlight from the chamber ahead. The group slowed as they reached the mouth of the tunnel and scanned the chamber ahead.

At the center of the chamber was a large Dwermer monolith carved with pictographs and dwarven runes. Several statues adorned pillars fixed around it, joining a series of small bridges, and at the far end, beyond a large stone bridge was a heavy stone carved door. A large underground river flowed below the chamber, swirling under and around all the bridges and underwater archways. Lying on the ground before the monolith were the two figures they had been chasing, now motionless on the stone.

“Trap?” Duncan asked, coming to crouch at Carter’s elbow.

“Probably,” Carter answered evenly, “don’t see any other way around it though.”

The Imperial nodded and took the first tentative steps into the chamber, aware of Raurke moving just behind him shadowing his flank, behind them the others were spreading along the perimeter of the room to watch for ambush.

As Duncan and Raurke drew closer to the bodies of their fallen quarry many things shifted at once. To the left side of the room, William barely had time to exhale when a streamlined feminine form raced passed him, her slight perfume filling his senses as she ran toward the center of the chamber. He could barely form the words to alert his companions, raising his bow, but his hand was steadied when he realized this young woman was shouting the very words he himself couldn’t seem to form.

“Duncan! Look out!”

His head whipped at the sound of his name being called, “Jayna?” he half thought he was hallucinating. The chamber burst with gas then and all of the companions went down. Fire ripped through them and they dropped to the ground writhing in total agony. Even Raurke had never encountered such a toxin; with the last of his conscious thought his eyes scanned the chamber looking for a source. Duncan gripped his chest with one hand and with the other, reached for Jayn’s outstretched hand, “Why are you-“ he couldn’t manage the rest of his words.

Felix coughed, his head swimming, and he watched in horror as the two fallen men in the center of the chamber began rising to stand over his fallen friends. He didn’t have much time, but he drew his magic toward him on his fleeting breaths trying to build one colossal spell that might save them.

Gilgamesh was back on his feet, “So, you three are the ones who have been tailing us since Dragon’s Bridge,” he said, unaware of the others still hidden in the shadows. He crouched near Duncan who was conscious, but just barely, "Can you hear me Imperial? Don't worry that sensation you're feeling now is temporary, and you're not really dying...well not yet anyway. We'd rather hoped the ruins would take care of you, but you're a persistent lot of cur dogs aren't you? No matter, when you wake you'll be far away from here, and the coin we make off your heads might even compensate us for this little inconvenience."

His laugh was cut short as Aramel grabbed his forearm, “He’s here.”

“Who?”

“The master,” she replied, her voice sounded fearful in a way they had not heard before.

Gilgamesh’s eyes caught the movement as a man dressed in proper Thalmor garb entered, his face hidden completely by his cloak, offering him an otherworldly presence. He took a self-conscious step back away from this new comer, “My lord,” he began, “what a welcome surprise. We weren’t expecting to see you here, we were just about to retrieve the tablet and..bring it to you as we planned.”

“Where is Edwin?” the man said quietly without inflection.

“Uh, we were beset by Falmer, Edwin didn’t survive,” Aramel offered.

The man’s cloak face didn’t move to acknowledge her, “You’re so certain this is the ruin that holds the tablet? And you ciphered this based on the…key?”

“Yes,” Gilgamesh answered, though his voice was uncertain, “there has been a setback, my lord. We lost the key, but don’t worry, I’ve summoned a familiar from Oblivion, he will return with the key any time.”

“The scarab key,” the man wasn’t asking, “Gil….you’re losing your touch. You broke into the Imperial office at Dragon’s Bridge and you all but announced it to the whole Imperial Legion in the process. Then you lead a group of Imperial spies to this ruin, and all this trouble…for the wrong key… in the wrong ruin.”

“Wh-but my lord,” Gilgamesh sputtered, “it can’t be, it IS the right key. You sent us to bring you the tablet and we will, as soon as my familiar returns I…” his eyes widened as his summoned familiar appeared behind the Thalmor lord, dressed in black shrouds, with two Thalmor soldiers beside him, “Zrikt?”

“Do you really think with your pitiful skills you could summon such a powerful being to you unless I willed it to be so?”

“Please,” Aramel said sensing the dangerous turn, “we will get the scarab key, it WILL open this door.”

“I’m certain you’re right,” the dark agent replied without compassion, “but there won’t be anything more within than a bit of gold and a few burial etchings valuable only to Imperial Archaeologists. No…I’ve tired of your incompetence, kill them.”

Obeying his real master Zrikt drew a thin vicious blade from his cloak and before they could move to defend themselves, he’d whipped it effortlessly through the Gilgamesh and Aramel, cleaving them in half. The sound of the Falmer was growing louder; the hordes from within the ruin’s belly were closing in on the chamber.

“What of them Lord?” one of the guards asked, nudging Duncan with his boot.

“Bring them,” the Thalmor agent answered as he turned to leave, “they’re worth more alive to slavers than dead in this pit,” his cloak swept behind him as he left. Zrikt grabbed Raurke’s lifeless form by the boot and dragged him out, with the soldiers bringing Duncan and Jayn behind him. Duncan began to lose consciousness then, darkness surrounded him for what would seem an eternity before another voice, one more strangely familiar would call him from it.

As the voices in the chamber faded and the only sound filling their ears were Falmer cries, Felix released his spell and with a telekinetic shockwave, sent himself, William and Carter lurching into the underground river. The icy water felt cooling to his burning skin as they were swept along out of the mountain, but he could only hope his consciousness would return before they drowned; and then all went dark.

“Psst…bah…psst…come on. Wake up already, boy,” with the harsh whispers echoing in his drugged mind Duncan’s senses awoke slowly to the stench of smoke and decay and as his eyes pried themselves open at last he found himself looking up into the toothy grin of Manan; the old man slapping at him gently as torchlight and shadow flickered across them. It was only when he tried to sit up that he realized his arms were bound at the elbow behind his back and a moment longer before he recognized the strident rocking of a wagon bearing them forward.

“Wha- happened?” he managed to whisper, though his throat ignited with pain immediately for the effort. He grimaced as if he had just swallowed glass.

Manan tried to aid Duncan’s efforts to rise, but his own hands were bound on a long line tied to the wagon’s door and only his finger tips could reach the Imperial’s bicep. Somehow they managed to get him righter and sitting against the wagon sidewall. Duncan’s vision was clearing and adapting to the low light. They were moving as part of a caravan. Through the slats of the wagon they rode in he could see soldiers walking on foot carrying the torches that offered their only beacon in the night, and he could see horses behind them hauling another wagon.

“Bloody Thalmor,” Manan answered harshly, “I ran into them as I was leaving the ruins, they brought you three along later,” he motioned to Jayn and Raurke who were still sleeping.

His head was swimming, “William? Carter?”

Manan snorted, “No sign of em, so either they escaped or they’re dead. Either way, they’re better off ‘an we are. We’ve been sold to Khajiiti slavers, no doubt this caravan is heading for the harbor up north. If we don’t freeze to death on the way, when we get there, we’ll be shipping for Elsweyr.”

“Raurke,” Duncan whispered harshly, kicking the revenant’s boot with his own, “we need to get free before we get too far north…next time they stop to rest the horses.”

Manan nodded, “I agree, but how?”

“You don’t have a plan?” Duncan asked, giving Raurke another kick.

“One more time, Imperial,” Raurke slurred as he roused slowly, “and I start kicking back.”

“Good you’re up,” Duncan was unfazed, and turned his attention to waking Jayna. He nudged her more gently with his knee, “Jayn?”

The Nord hybrid remained still, but awoke, “Odin…” she said quietly. Through the slats of the wagon she could see her steed following the wagon in the shadow of the trees, he would have followed if he’d seen her taken from the ruin, but she couldn’t be sure it wasn’t a dream.

“Are you okay?”

Jayn nodded, her hands were tied on front of her so she was able to push herself up with ease, “I think so, it’s a bit cloudy. Who was that man in the ruins?”

“Thalmor,” Manan fairly spat, “and a particularly nasty one to boot; I think I’ve heard tales of this fellow, bloody hells, the wrong lot to get on the wrong side of that’s for sure.”

Jayn shifted herself behind Duncan and began pulling at the knots binding him, “Wasn’t sure what I’d find in that ruin but sure wasn’t expecting to see you.”

“I could say the same,” Duncan answered, blowing his hair out of his eyes, “what were you doing there?”

“Oh you know me, see a ruin and can’t just walk by without taking a look,” she shrugged, pulling his ropes loose.

Duncan rubbed the ache out of his arms, “Good way to get eaten by Falmer.”

“That never stopped you,” she grinned, moving on to untie Manan as Duncan loosed Raurke.

“Maybe we should leave him tied,” the revenant offered, “harder to stab us in the back that way.”

Manan shrugged, “I could stab you in the back either way really,” the old codger retorted, “but if you untie me, I can also help you.”

Felix's lungs opened a moment before his eyes, instinctively drawing in a piercingly cold breath. There was no knowing how long he had been unconscious in the underground river, but he could not imagine it had been long; he hadn't drowned after all. Slick rock now surrounded the tumbling stream on all sides, thankfully worn too smooth to pose a threat. The young mage tried to determine who was still with him, but he couldn't see more than the rushing water. Meditative techniques were not designed for his current situation, but he managed to arrange his mind and body to think with clarity. Between facefuls of the stream he noticed that a short distance ahead, the roof of the tunnel seemed to become suddenly far lower. He took a breath of air as he prepared to pass under, but it was knocked from him as a hand shot from the ceiling, yanking him out of the water.

Spluttering like a fish, Felix made out the dim form of Carter, braced against the tunnel wall, his legs forming the apparently lower ceiling.

"Still alive?" he asked, as the mage attained a similar position.

"Just about"

The Breton savoured the feeling of being stationary for a moment, before casting a hovering light into the air.

"Are we all that made it? He asked

The Redguard made to respond, but William was quicker.

"Not... quite" he gasped, seizing a lucky protrusion just upstream of them. "I'm fairly sure there was no one behind me though"

Carter nodded.

"Well there's no going back,"

Felix reluctantly agreed.

~~~~~~~~~

A solitary rock warbler hopped across the smooth stones of its mountain pond, it's beady eyes taking in each tiny movement. It wasn't going anywhere in particular, merely hopping from stone to stone. Simple things amused the simple bird. The warbler was suddenly struck by the fact that there was an identical bird upside down in the pond, and the two were still staring at each other when the first of three almighty splashes erupted from the base of the spring.

Carter and William righted themselves as the rotund bird settled in a juniper bush, between them pulling the flushed and panting Felix out of the mountain pond. It took the three of them a while to get their bearings, but they eventually worked out a path back to their horses.

"What do you think happened to the others?" Felix asked as his carefully balanced flames dried their clothes, "I tried to get them in the stream too but..."

"We have no way of knowing" William replied "maybe they fought off the Thalmor and his summons, and they're waiting with the horses"

"Seems more likely they were captured" Carter shrugged, "but there's nothing we can do for them; who knows where they went, or how they're getting there?"

"They'll escape though, won't they? Surely."

The Redguard chuckled, "if I know Greyer"

~~~~~~~~~

As the trio had all supposed, their companions were not waiting with the horses. They waited a while, but it soon became clear the others were not coming out.

"Gone back to tavern, took horses" read the sign they scratched into the rockface. With a collective shrug, and an irritating sense of powerlessness, the three of them set off, leading Ghost along by the reins, scarcely stopping until the welcome lights of the Mill Tavern warmed their faces.

Edited by the-manta