DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Shadow Problems

JazzJR

Hi,

I play Skyrim now for a long time and now i could effort a house. But as i went in there, i recognized that horrible shadows.

I run Skyrim on highest settings and my shadows look like some stiped bacon along the character. Really weird.

I also changed these ishadow thingys in the SkyrimPref.ini to 4096 but still the same problem.

Anyone of you has the same problem? Is this a problem with the Skyrim engine?

Here is a picture of the mess.

What does i have to do that they look better than this?

My PC:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core 2x 3,21Ghz

6GB DDR 3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB DDR5 (newest driver installed)

That sounds troublesome, sorry i cant help as i am not playing Skyrim yet. Wonder if that happened because of the latest patch that i hear some people have challenges with. Again, I dont bout that either, just read some about it on the forums. Good luck.

There is no one solution for everyone. From what I've read, smoothing out the issues with shadows requires some tweaking of several ini settings and you have to play with it a bit to find the right tweaks for your particular rig and game settings. A good place to start is Skyrim Nexus, search Shadows, several folks have uploaded txt docs with ini settings that worked for them, you can try them and tweak those same settings higher or lower for your game until you find what looks best to you. I used this one as the base for mine, worked fairly well http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=283 :good:

My shadows seems to look like pewp no matter what I do, short of setting the iShadowMapResolution to 8192 and playing at 2 fps. :lmao:

There is still a chance this will get patched. I think the outcry has certainly been loud enough to warrant it. :yes: But if not, it is possible to turn shadows off completely - not ideal, sure, but it looks better than the blockies and jaggies and stripies. Yep.

And here I thought this was going to be a 'whole new' engine. Guess not huh. Wonder if that means we get to look forward to the animation bug, and the form-id bug coming from a patch..... :D

I've certainly seen a number of other "features" that the Brand New Engine mysteriously shares with previous games! As long as it doesn't have the FO3 data corruption bug, I reckon I'll live...