DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Akaviri paddle wheel ship

auryga

My real world project is almost done, so I'm back to modding again. Beside playing Skyrim of course :D

Started this project long ago, even before Rimmen as far as I remember. I wanted an Akaviri ship for my Fuyohin island project back then and while searching for ancient japanese or chinese ships I found this Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_history_of_China. Never knew the chinese already invented paddle wheel ships in the 5th–6th centuries AD ...

Here's the one of the pictures that mainly inspired my mod: http://www.authentischermodellbau.de/LT_Dschunke/LT_Dschunke2/files/page18-1001-full.html. Lot more pictures of model ships on that website. And those model ships are all very detailed, almost perfect as samples.

Currently it's still an Oblivion mod but I'm changing textures now to those from Skyrim. As soon as the Creation Kit and the "Blender to Skyrim" scripts are availiable this ship will become part of the next Akaviri invasion to Skyrim :P

Some screenshot out of Blender; looks a bit better in Oblivion but my Oblivion installation didn't like the changes I had to made for Skyrim :(

8078035_orig.jpg

3625332_orig.jpg

Never tried GLSL before, many thanks! Looks really better now, although I couldn't set up the lighting (as bad?) as in Oblivion. It now looks very much like Skyrim objects. And I will have to improve several parts, can see much more errors now than before :shock:

Needs a lot more work to update the materials to Skyrim than I had expected. So many new features now in the material settings of Skyrims NIF files. They look as confusing as Blenders material and texture settings to me. Seem I have to learn much more about this things first. :read:

well the akavirii are kinda like the whole south east asia area, many different cultures with many different styles, but a djunke is quite ok i think, but id also check the japanese and korean ships for inspiration, ...and add sails ;)

those ships mostly had rowers for more maneuvarability but also sails for support or prolonged journeys

the imperial fleet of admiral Zheng He which is supposed to have traveleed the world up to south america and back could give alot of inspiration too, lots of awesome ship designs

not sure abut the texture yet, would be nice to see some close up screenshots, maybe even a render, and a model view with the topology/edges visible so we can give more tips ;)

if you wanna use i ingame i also suggest to split the exterior from the interior and delte the other side... kinda like the buildings in skyrim/fallout/oblivion/etc, in exteriors you just see the exterior and once you activate a door you get inside

saves alot of performance which you can put into details or better textures... details!!! lots of em ;)

for example check how they jointed the wooden planks and so on and either put it into your textures or if they have a visible shape that aint fakeable in 2d then model em

........anyway, love the whole idea so far :)

i just dont fancy the huge rudderwheel thing, that feels too much like a mississipi cruise imo even tho they might have had it, but well, maybe i just need convincing XD

• Upvote 1

@tiling

ya but there is no real way against that, making a texture that spans the ntire object would result in one thats much too large and tiling wont be as visible closeup anyway, beth does all the huge objects like that too... however you cuold break up the tiling by inserting objects with different textures between elements with the same

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...