DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Brainstorm] Companion

Vereta

Okay, I've always wanted to develop my own mod and I've finally decided exactly what I want to do. What I want to do is a companion, a companion that will be fully voice by yours truly. The thing is I want to know what people are looking for in a companion and this is where you guys come in. I need your help to decide a few things for my new companion. He's a young Khajiit and doesn't have the accent that comes with most Khajiits because he was born in Skyrim. What would you like his name to be? (Suggestions...) What would you like to see in his personality? Where would you like to see his moral alignment? What profession would you like him to be in? Do you want him to sing? (I'm don't know how well I can sing. XD) If so, do you want him to be incredibly embarrassed when you catch him singing to himself privately? Would you rather him be something other than a Khajiit? Would you like an entire questline dedicated to him? Would you like him to comment on various things? If so, what? I really want to focus on character development. I want you to form a bond to this character and actually care for him. In order to do this I need your input. Thanks! :)

Edited by Vereta

I think something that would make your character really stand out, and something that Skyrim really lacks and needs, is agency.

In Skyrim, and TES in general, I get the sense that the player character is the only force of change in the world. Sure, everyone wants you to do everything from saving the world to farming mucksponge, but I think that wouldn't matter if there were other characters who also actively affected the world in ways other than advancing the stages of your quests. Did you play Nehrim? Because that really nailed it. The main characters are constanly pursuing their agendas, world objects are often blown up otherwise permanently changed, and it always feels like you are just one piece among many in a grand saga.

So achieving that with your companion would be great. One way would be for them to dictate the terms once in a while. For example, rather than continually having him following at your heels like a doe eyed puppy, he can occasionally leave on his own business, asking you to meet him somewhere later. Or he can object to or try to stop you doing certain things.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to play Nehrim. I understand what your saying, though. Often times I find myself alone in the world of TES because no one else seems to be affecting it but me. Having a character that is not a companion but an equal, or at least something close to an equal, will be a refreshing change of gameplay. An awesome idea and one that I hadn't thought of. Thanks. :)

Have you tried various companions from the modding community? The most advanced one so far is Viljia. There is also Valtiero, Stalker wolf, Neeshka, Ruin tail, etc

I think what you will find from one to another is flaws and qualities that will make a companion complete or not. Maybe you already know all Im saying but I'll say it anyway >.<

A companion is appealing through his/her dialogue, that is its essence.

What you have to consider is how the companions interact with the environment - you, the other npcs, the world, the quest, the lore, etc

Its through its interaction that a companion truly comes alive no matter its profession or how well he fights or even is alignment!

Personally, I like your idea of a snow bred Khajiit XD and the fact that he can sing and how he could be shy about it is funneh!

Quest is always a plus, or several small quest, its a perk you give to your mod or it can revolve entirely around it (as in Ruin-Tail).

No matter how evil, good, intelligent, stupid, cute, horrifying your companion will be, it always comes down to its essence, past the mesh, texture and animation =D

I've played a few companion mods but there are a few I need to get through still. I may just go ahead an play them for some reference material (And to enjoy them of course :P). Yes, the thing that I really want to emphasize is his personality and his ability to react to the world/people. I don't know how well I can achieve this but I can try. Of course dialogue is a key component here. ;) I'm almost definitely going to add quests to the mod but I'm not sure if I should do so in the first release of the mod or not. What I'm currently brewing up is how the player encounters him and what he's even named. If anyone wants to throw in a few ideas that would be great. It's always good to have others thoughts on things. :)