DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Hoping to learn how to create mods

TheXenophobe

Hello, this is my first post on TES Alliance (I think), and I have only been a PC gamer since october. But before that I was always watching modding vids and wishing I could do that. Now I can. I have GIMP, Blender, and NIfskope. But no Idea how to use them. I've got a huge mod planned (it will probably take me months once I know what I'm doing) and I can't wait to get started on it. So I'm very new to all this but I do know a few basics. Wait for the creation kit, if you want it modded in learn to mod, and my personal favorite, never let anyone stop you from creating your mod.

I'm here because I heard this site is great for newcomers to learn, and I also heard you have online modding classes. Which I would be very interested in. Thank you in advance for any information and help!

-Xeno

Welcome to the Alliance :wave:

Creation Kit Basics, the beginner's class for Skyrim is now about halfway through development, the class is planned to open with the Creation Kit's release. You can find it here: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/114-creation-kit-basics/ :)

A large mod is generally a bad jumping off point for a complete novice and it can end up discouraging you in the end. So before the class opens, I recommend brainstorming on a simpler idea you can complete quickly just for practice, like a house, simple dungeon, or a camp. Once you have some basic skills under your belt, you'll be able to better develop your large mod idea. :good:

A large mod is generally a bad jumping off point for a complete novice and it can end up discouraging you in the end. So before the class opens, I recommend brainstorming on a simpler idea you can complete quickly just for practice, like a house, simple dungeon, or a camp. Once you have some basic skills under your belt, you'll be able to better develop your large mod idea. :good:

Thanks for the link, and I've heard that a large mod is a bad starting point, which is why I have it designed to be a compilation of much smaller mods I intend to develop. First will be armor, after that it will be creating a medium armor catgory and perks list. Next would be weapons. Mainly making it so silver weapons do more damage to any beast, not just undead. afterwards would be architecture. Building a small town that will be used later. Than a large castle esque stronghold. Then creating a unique NPC. anyways I'm sure you get the idea, Its going to take a long time, but it's going to be like building puzzle pieces. Then using the pieces to build the puzzle.

I have no illusions anything I'm planning will get done quickly. Which is why I intend to do beta releases of any progress I make. I plan to make the beta releases incompatible with the final mod, but thats for later. These beta release will help me fix any aspect of the overall mod without exposing the end product as well, so its a win-win.

-Xeno

EDIT- You wouldn't also have classes for blender and such would you? also I didn't notice you were the Creation Kit class person when I clicked the link and PMed you there. My bad, kinda redundant. sorry.

EDIT2- If you are wondering what it is I'm planning. Here's a basic overview (Its missing about half of what I have added to the concept since)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1331711-planned-the-school-of-the-dragon/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by TheXenophobe

Welcome, traveller. If you're looking to learn Blender, I can recommend Johnathon Williamson, who makes excellent tutorials on BlenderCookie.com.

Most of Blender's functionality you will never have to use, so take a look at this tutorial to get an idea of the skills you need.

Beyond that, if you have any questions, need any advice or criticism, or just want to discuss ideas, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Hello. 
I've been playing Skyrim SE for over a year now and am a big fan. I was looking for tutorials for making mods and just found this site.

Classes in modding are a great idea and I would love to participate, the only thing is, at 75 am I too old?