DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Creation Kit Discussion

InsanitySorrow

Anyone know how to get a merchant to work? I have not found a tutorial yet, and copying an existing merchant does not work (no surprise as it never worked in the previous games either, except Morrowind)

I am guessing I will need new dialogue for my new NPC.

Vendors are set up on the Faction screen now. Look for Services<something> in the faction list to see how those are done now. Your NPCs then need to become members of the particular faction. I think it was done this way to support the possibility of killing a shopkeeper and having a replacement come along later.

This is what I was talking about earlier in regards to lighting.

Testing my CK Basics tutorial house and I notice my lights sort of.. turn off when I get far enough away from them but turn back on when I get close again.

Like this:

On - When in front of it. :question:

6844248067_46a22b002e_b.jpg

Off - When standing on the other side of the room. :question:

6844248181_9a09d2e5ef_b.jpg

It is very perplexing and I am sure there is a simple answer for it, I just don't know what it is. :blink:

Other instances of this weirdness:

6844248883_2d483285d3_b.jpg

6844249013_bd8553ba61_b.jpg

6844248651_b274269405_b.jpg

Thats exactly the same little issue I have when placing some of those lights doll, you`re not alone :lol:

Same issue I'm having if you change the 'radius' under 'extra' tab in the reference menu, but it also increases its intensity it seems, because your increasing the light radius.

I've also played with the 'no fade' option and 'casts shadows' option didnt make a difference.

Found the problem. Straight from the wiki

http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Lights_and_FX

Shadow-Casting Omni

This type of light casts a sphere of light, just like a regular omni, but casts shadows. Shadow-casting lights can be identified by a purple axis, seen in Fig 8.1b.. Shadows generate additional polygons and only four can be visible at any given time, so be careful of how many of these you use. Too many shadow-casting lights will quickly cause performance problems and visual bugs.

Edited by Phaedin

A bit more info, I managed to place 2 candle holders and lights with no issues, moving the camera from one end of the room to the other causes no issues. As soon as I add a third set and move the camera around, all 3 sets of statics/lights start going on and off and the light markers go red when the light is off. This happens whether I place the static/light singularly or use ctrl+D.

Giving up for the night :shrug:

I`ve uploaded a short video of what I`m getting, not brilliant quality but it serves the purpose.

I must confess that working with the Navmesh is not easy for me.

Is there any possibility to move a single node when selected (like in Oblivion) and thus change the shape and extension of triangles?

Also, I already deleted the whole Navmesh accidentally. The Undo button or Strg + z did not restore it. Is there any way to get it back other than reloading the saved esp (which takes very long on my computer).

Edit: Found out : I must have had the "snap to grid" button active, which made moving the nodes impossible.

Edited by Tamira

Nope, if you deleted it and it vanished and didn't come back with the undo function, you have to reload and start again.

I also find it's much easier to be able to select nodes if you turn off the edge selection on the navmesh toolbar while you don't need it.

So, I figured out how to get a working duplicate of the Sabre cat to get a new race. Now I have another question; when I drag & drop what I want to be its racial ability, it appears to take it in at the race menu, but when I close & reopen the race menu, the CK acts as if nothing happened. Not even the * character to denote editing.

Has anyone else here encountered something similar and/or know a solution/explanation?

Vendors are set up on the Faction screen now. Look for Services<something> in the faction list to see how those are done now. Your NPCs then need to become members of the particular faction. I think it was done this way to support the possibility of killing a shopkeeper and having a replacement come along later.

Thanks for the info, I would have never thought it was tied to a faction.

I created a new faction and set it up for my cell.

I think I am missing dialog on the merchant though. I get the message to press E to activate the merchant, but it does nothing. I will have to look into that some more this weekend as well. :lol:

CK Gotchas! I have two:

• Trying to delete references from the list in the Cell View window doesn't work. If you select many and try to batch delete them, and any of them are linked to/a parent of another reference, causing a confirmation dialog box to appear, the dialog box then gets caught in an endless loop and all you can do is quit. To avoid, just delete references from the render window the old-fashioned way.

• Just like in the Oblivion CS, sometimes changing the editor ID and another property of a form at the same time causes the editor to crash when you click OK. To avoid, only change the editor ID when you're not changing anything else.

Trying to delete references from the list in the Cell View window doesn't work. If you select many and try to batch delete them, and any of them are linked to/a parent of another reference, causing a confirmation dialog box to appear, the dialog box then gets caught in an endless loop and all you can do is quit. To avoid, just delete references from the render window the old-fashioned way.

Or, perhaps you are deleting a massive number of objects that are linked. If you continue to hit okay, it finally deletes them all and continues on. At least it does in my CK.

Just like in the Oblivion CS, sometimes changing the editor ID and another property of a form at the same time causes the editor to crash when you click OK. To avoid, only change the editor ID when you're not changing anything else.

I have never had this happen to me, and I do it all the time. I always copy an existing object, change the Editor ID, then change the object properties to what I want. Strange.

Or, perhaps you are deleting a massive number of objects that are linked. If you continue to hit okay, it finally deletes them all and continues on. At least it does in my CK.

Nnnnope. XD

I have never had this happen to me, and I do it all the time. I always copy an existing object, change the Editor ID, then change the object properties to what I want. Strange.

It doesn't happen when I make a new form while making the changes. It only happens when I am changing an existing form by giving it a new ID AND doing something else to it at the same time before hitting OK and saying I do not want to create a new form. It doesn't happen every time, either, but the most common combos seem to be EditorID + ( Light Radius or Model Path or Name ).

Been having some -fun- trying to figure out the scripting. It seems we need to make reference calls to original scripts by 'extending' the original.. since what i want is basically an objectref script that's needed I need to extend that.. then go on and do the other stuff.. Confusing and going to take me awhile.. I understand the logic.. and it mildly reminds me of c++ in some sense.. yet.. It's been so long since I did any programming with an actual language it's like.. um.. how does this work?

I also have had that "red light" issue, it seems to happen more with lights that cast shadows (those with the purple cross inside the bulb) as these somehow don't play nice/clash/conflict with each other when more than 2 are loaded into what seems to be their radius.

The only good note is that creating interior cells(from what i see) behaves normally, though I did encounter the mesh disappearing issue of the farmhouse when I did the classes. For a first release of a CS it seems pretty stable to me to do what I need it to do so far. I know when I start some other 'larger' projects It's going to be interesting. So for now.. it's a new tool we're working with the bugs. It's nice to have a familiar tool for a new game. I feel.. more comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

So, I'm new to all of this so I unofficially did DarkRider's CK Basics class (that's what got me to actually sign up for the forum too). So, I'm comfortable with that stuff, but is there a tutorial or a set of directions that can explain to me, as clearly as DarkRider did the basics, how to mod existing objects in the game? Like how there are mods for Breezehome and other add ons or re-dos of things in game. I have an idea for a starter home for the player with a tiny quest attached to it..but I need to modify a cabin that already exists..Anyway, can I do that in CK or do modders use other tools? Thanks for any help, and I'll stop rambling now!

• 4 weeks later...

I must confess that working with the Navmesh is not easy for me.

Once I figure it out of how it worked then it was easy. The landscape editor is a real pain and I don't know when I'll finish the 3rd lesson of CK Basics.

My biggest problem with CK is the camera, because I don't know how many times I've moving the camera around then suddenly a message pops up saying "bla bla texture missing at cell bla bla" isn't fun.

I just reload CK when that happens. Couldn't there be a way that you could lock the camera into a working cell and once you're satisfy then unlock the camera.

Is there some way to speed up Creation Kit? It seems to slow down really easily, and the initial load is a lot slower than I'd like. Is it as fast as it can be, or is there something I can do?

I should mention my computer is usually pretty powerful and loads most anything very fast, so I wondered why Creation Kit would be an exception.

There's not much that can be done about it unfortunately. I've gained a new appreciation for how speedy and responsive the Oblivion CS actually is when compared to the CK. Then again, Oblivion didn't have to do even half of what this thing is doing.