DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

What does everyone think of Papyrus then? :)

Mysterious Mr. Bear

I was just wondering what everyone thought of Papyrus so far. I had basicly just gotten used to Oblivion scripting when Skyrim came out, so I am a bit worried about the transition.... wondering how did everyone else find it? It seems like it may be easier to use, but at the same time it looks like it might over simplify or over complicate things...what does everyone think? I can tell allready this forum is going to help SO much with its tutorials and example scripts... ;)

Mysterious Mr. Bear :D :D

(also sorry if this is the wrong forum, but its a very Papyrusy topic so I thought it would be a good place...)

I was totally lost until I figured out the 'properties' thing. As discussed in my Class #1. After that, its easy, once you have that concept down.

I like it because its more flexible, and I can use one 'basic' script for many objects, where I had to have one script for each object before. I just point to different objects with the imported properties.

I was totally lost until I figured out the 'properties' thing. As discussed in my Class #1. After that, its easy, once you have that concept down.

I like it because its more flexible, and I can use one 'basic' script for many objects, where I had to have one script for each object before. I just point to different objects with the imported properties.

Just like to point out that I tried this myself, and found that this resulted in CTDs on startup. So the game may not be handling instances of re-used scripts very well. Might be better to avoid this.

The new language is difficult at first.

It seems that it is more difficult to make simple scripts that used to only need a few lines, but I think that in the long run it will be better and more flexable for long scripts.

Just like to point out that I tried this myself, and found that this resulted in CTDs on startup. So the game may not be handling instances of re-used scripts very well. Might be better to avoid this.

Given how scripts are attached now, its impossible NOT to reuse scripts if you are attaching it to more then one object. And to prove this I just placed the same script on 2 different objects. They both work perfectly.

I am currently using one script, with different references, on 30 buttons. And not a CTD in sight... And I am adding more using the same script.

So I suspect what your describing is not the issue with your CTD's.

Papyrus isn't too bad. Like WilliSea said, the most confusing about Papyrus is properties (fragments are annoying as well, but don't show up as frequently as properties). Once you get that down, it really isn't that different from other languages.

Thanks for the pointers everyone ;)

I actually really like the sound of one script working with different references. With my Epic Necromancy mod I needed to copy 200+ lines of script onto over 30+ differnt types of creature, which could be created a technically infinite amount of times... it was possibly the most hap-hazard and messy scripting the world has seen. If I can just adjust properties and point it to different creatures... well that is A LOT tidier, isn't it ;)

I'll make sure to read up on properties and actually do the classes this time. (I'll admit, with oblivion I just read them over and used them as a reference... and then regretted it later when I felt like the modding equivalent of Homer Simpson sat at his work desk during melt down) I saw something about fragments, the very thought of them made my head hurt 0_o I mean jesus I was just trying to work out what all the mining scripts did between an "ore" object and a animation marker (so the player could use the invisible furniture I was placing on rocks/ledges) and I couldnt even work that out!!

I've been noticing as well a lot about "auto filling" things 0_o I was a bit sketchy about it, as it seems a bit "here let me do that for you". What does everyone make of this feature? I've been trying to work out how everything works and it seems that it auto selects things from leveled lists but also auto applies scripts in some cases....

...maybe I should just go read and re-read the tutorials though :P

The 'auto-fill' feature will point to the object...

IF...

the 'name' you gave it exists in the list of object types.

So, if you add a global object reference to your script, and name it 'LevelersSpeedGBL'. And in your >Miscellaneous >Global you created an object called 'LevelersSpeedGBL'.

This will auto-point to that global object.

But, if you add a global object reference to your script, and name it 'mySpeedGBL', then auto-fill will not be able to find that for you and will not work.

I am currently using one script, with different references, on 30 buttons. And not a CTD in sight... And I am adding more using the same script.

So I suspect what your describing is not the issue with your CTD's.

Mine were all attached to items, and since the CTDs stopped altogether once I removed them all, my views on it are a bit different.

But it was for the better anyways, best to handle bulk quantities of stuff elsewhere.

Anyways, I've tried again with this, only this time using Activators instead of items, and all is well.

As for my thoughts on Papyrus... it gives me headaches at times, but it has really streamlined the scripting for this game. Back before, we didn't have things like Arrays or Booleans (though we could fake those by swapping an Int between 0 and 1 before), and the more I learn about properties and how scripts can communicate with each other, the more I realize just how much can be done with Papyrus (being able to pass certain properties off to other scripts when needed, for instance, or borrowing Functions).

And finally, it's about time we could attach multiple scripts to single objects, too! :P

just got hands on with it for the first time, happy to say I'm not only doing things that I was able to in oblivion (after a steep but short learning curve) but I am also doing new things- scripts on individual references, multiple scripts, and correct use of the automatic script features are giving me alot more room.

I look forward to the day I am as confident with papyrus (current goals: 'da hell is a quest alias, how do I properly use auto-fill features, key words and all the time saving features as I am still doing tedious things by hand, and properly learn the new scripting vocabulary) as even when I am feeling my way with my feet its letting me do at least as much as Oblivions script language.

• 1 year later...